Skip to main content

Question about starts...when running a 60 for baseball would the runner be allowed to get down into a sprinters starting stance?  (Without the blocks, obviously).  I've only seen runners start from a standing position, not sure if that is a hard and fast rule.

My son was an indoor sprinter in the winter and all the work that they did on starts was from that position.

K9 posted:

Question about starts...when running a 60 for baseball would the runner be allowed to get down into a sprinters starting stance?  (Without the blocks, obviously).  I've only seen runners start from a standing position, not sure if that is a hard and fast rule.

My son was an indoor sprinter in the winter and all the work that they did on starts was from that position.

no, they take them from the base running stance...

At 14, my oldest son was running a 7.15 at a PG showcase and even through most of his senior year he couldn't get sub 7 and was frustrated.  His times were like 7.09, 7.01...He just didn't have the right technique.  My younger son, wasn't able to get below 7.2. Some of their teammates had success shaving off time after some sessions with a speed coach and so my boys gave it a try.  They were able to shave off enough so that both are consistently under 7 (6.7 and 6.9)  after just a few sessions. They were always capable but this coach taught them the techniques to streamline things and shave nearly half a second off.  I can see their motions are quite different and they look like they run with purpose instead of like buffalos!  The speed coach wasn't expensive.

JLC-  

Son was just coached timed at 7.7 but he is a catcher and runs on his heels.  The fasted guy who is just turning 14 this weekend was a 7.2 or 7.3  He is actually skipping MS ball (he wont learn anything down there) and is doing track this spring to help him with his sprinting.  Speed drills and fast twitch drills WILL help with his home to first AND 60 yard.

my 2020 catcher is a member of NCSA recruiting service.  I can't search for players like a coach can but when I search, lets say Vanderbilt, A list of NCSA commits pops up for the school I am looking at.  I can click on them and see what ever their profile says.  Gives me home to first, 60 yard times, pop times and I can watch their skill videos that they posted.  Kinda keeps me in the loop where my freshman is compared to these commits when they were freshman also.

I saw some real nice commits going to some top D1 schools running 6.7's.  If the boys can get down there or faster, than you won't have to worry about that  aspect.  Obviously that is ONE item on a laundry list, but it IS nice to know you can all but mark one of them off...

Great job and good luck the rest of the way!

K9 posted:

Stealing base stance.  Half the people use stopwatch or laser, and the player needs to practice his start and hand movement, or a 6.9 kid will easily run 7.2...  I know.

Consultant posted:

Gov;

teach your son to read the pitcher, right heal on a RHP and right knee on a LHP. This equals one second quicker. Watch the SS or 2b do the catch and tag. Another second. Also how does the 1b hold the runner?

Bob

Thanks Bob, but I think the context was for running 60's for time at a showcase (?). 

But I will happily relay what you said to Andrew!  Thank you

Just to make clear-

I was just telling JLC that since he kid(s) were already in that 6.7 range that it was par with what I was seeing with serious D1 talent.  So if he was to have to prioritize what to work on, that 60 time was one item he could put towards the bottom.  Compared to my 2020's 7.7, where I would put a little more attention to getting that down.  That's all!  And I have seen 7's on some of the profiles (but whose to say they didnt update profile with faster 60's)

Good luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.