Skip to main content

Hi,

Do you guys know what would be a good velocity goal for D3 baseball? I'm currently a lefty sophomore cruising at 72-74, max at 76. I checked Perfect Game and some previous D3 recruits (all rhps), and they seem to be at around 80-82 top velocity in gr11/12 summer. Is that around the velocity for left handers as well? If they are 80-82 max then they would be cruising 78-80 ish? Sorry I'm not really expert and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

if your a lefty with a good act at 25 or above throwing 82 -83 ,,you should be able to play at alot of d3 schools.Get to a few good showcases early junior year.get on PBR or get a spot on be recruited too and keep video and e mail coaches with updates,,be pro active..get the grades and the act score,,your a lefty pitcher thats a big plus.
Hey wronghander - 1) First don’t sell yourself short keep working hard you never know what will happen with your velo. 2) A “crafty” lefty who gets outs can fit almost anywhere.

That said here is the D3 strength of schedule and rankings that can be of help in identifying some programs for you.

Good luck.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/isr/d3_isr.html

http://www.baseballnews.com/po...urrentpolldiviii.htm
Thanks. I guess I'm more of pitch to contact, because I don't walk a lot of people. I wrote the sat in my freshman year and got 2100, I think I can get it to 2250 so grades shouldn't really be a big problem. I also looked into the Headfirst showcase, but is it a bit too early to go there in gr 10/11 summer? When do d3 schools usually start recruiting?
First....outstanding job on your SATs. Second, keep your grades up. Nothing looks worse than high SAT scores and a low GPA (sends the wrong signal to admissions and to the coach). It is, definately, not too early to go to Headfirst during the summer following your Sophomore year. It is an outstanding showcase with lots of access to high academic schools. You will have an opportunity to get on their radar screen and to speak with coaches. However, be aware that it is expensive. If you have schools in mind now (I realize it's a bit early), you can look into school-specific camps.

Keep up the great work. School first, baseball second.
Think about what you would like to major in and then start to look through and see what schools you would be interested in excluding baseball. Then make another list that includes baseball. I would not necessarily knock out D1's at this time. With your scores and depending on your grades you are Ivy material with baseball in the equation.

This is going to take you some time, but once you have your list, make up a profile of yourself and email it to the coaching staff of the programs you have interest in. This could go out right before summer and if you are on a summer team send you playig schedule.

You did not way what part of Canada you are from but there are teams from there that regularly go to the Az Fall Classic. I would check them out and go if you can the fall of your Sr season. In addition check to see if Headfirst, Stanford Camp, GPA, PG or other high academic events have the schools you are targeting.

Doing the above will give you the best chance to be seen and find a program that fits you. Also when you are at events like this be open and talk to coaches and ask them where they see you fitting.

The highly ranked D3's tend to recruit later than D1's as they are looking for the kids who have not singned NLI's but they are out recruiting early also so don't wait around be proactive.

Good Luck!
Last edited by BOF
Thanks for the insightful info. I'm getting As in school, and it's pretty consistent. I play on a travel team in Ontario, and we go to plenty of tournaments (baseball heaven, pastime tournaments). I'm looking into the camps (especially Headfirst) but don't know if I should go this year. Is it indeed too early, at end of sophomore year, for D3s and the more academic D1s to get into contact with (questionnaires, emailing coaches, sending summer schedule, and attending the camps), or should I wait for the beginning of junior year? I'm not sure about going to the camps as a sophomore perhaps not standing out as much, if at all (throwing 72-74).
quote:
First....outstanding job on your SATs. Second, keep your grades up. Nothing looks worse than high SAT scores and a low GPA (sends the wrong signal to admissions and to the coach). It is, definately, not too early to go to Headfirst during the summer following your Sophomore year. It is an outstanding showcase with lots of access to high academic schools. You will have an opportunity to get on their radar screen and to speak with coaches. However, be aware that it is expensive. If you have schools in mind now (I realize it's a bit early), you can look into school-specific camps.

Aggree with BB13

My son went to a Headfirst showcase the summer after his soph year. Most of the kids were a year older but it was good for him to get on some early radar screens and actually started to help him determine where he would like to go.
My son went to headfirst and Stanford after soph year - and same camps after Jr yr. The connections he made during the soph yr camps really helped for the Jr yr camps. While the coaches are not actively looking for rising jrs, they will remember you. It is no risk to you - except expense - to go after soph yr.

Coaches know that physically you will really grow between those years, so the fact that you're small or light and don't throw as hard as kids a year older makes no difference.

Be enthusiastic, play the game hard, have your transcript and a short note about youself sealed in a bunch of envelopes and give them to coaches who speak to you. And, speak to the coaches by yourself - without your parents. Do some research on the schools that will be there so you have a feel for which schools interest you (big, little, near, far, etc.) And you can carry on a brief conversation. Coaches want to begin to get to know you - your parents are not part of the equation.

The coaches will always ask you about your grades, your scores (if you haven't taken the SAT or ACT then they'll ask about your PSAT), and your courses - beacuse that is what they care about!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.