Skip to main content

Not son related. Interested in opinions on kids(D1) getting scholarships taken away so money can be used to bring in future players.

I've seen it with Fresh-Jr. Some are good players who stay and  Few have been kids on bench so they r leaving to look for other schools. What % do u see who get money taken away?  Does it mean coach doesn't want u anymore or is it part of business of baseball?

Does a D1 have to sit out a yr if they loose scholarship and transfer or is here way around that?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't know how often it happens, but I have heard it enough to be confident that it does.  There was a school out West under a previous coach that was notorious for this - including with some of their better players.  They'd bring in a new recruit and then later corner some of the current players with - 'We need part of your scholarship to pay for that guy - what, don't you wanna go to Omaha?  This guy will get us there.'

Sometimes I think it means the coach doesn't want you anymore, other times its like the scenario above.

Last edited by justbaseball

What happens when a coach determines that he has exceeded his scholarship maximum?  As an example, the coach is sitting at a projected 12.3 in May as he begins communicating to his existing players.  He has some kid committed (NLI) at 60%, but simply believes this kid will get drafted and has a high probability of signing.  June comes and goes and for some reason the kid does not sign.  Can a coach approach individual players AFTER he has communicated the scholarship amount for the coming year and "ask" for some back?  If that doesn't work, is there some administrative tool he lean on to skinny up his commitments?

I think the "taken away" scenario happens, but I would guess that the more common scenario is reductions.  Kid comes in as a 50-60% scholarship kid and assumes the amount will stay the same.  Sets his finances up and makes a school affordability choice based on his scholarship.  Then he finds out he's being reduced to 25 or 30%.  School just got a lot more expensive, and the kid has very few options.

proudhesmine posted:

Just geussing that a kid (say fesh.) comes in @ 50% and just lites it up. never gets some extra the next yr. Always just the one way street as described above?

No, not always a one way street.  But probably not as common except the case where a coach wants to lure a player back for his senior year after the draft.  I've heard of coaches offering 100% to a player to return.

Last edited by justbaseball

After my son's freshman year the coach had him go onto academic money to free up the coach's baseball scholarship money.  We didn't mind as long as the net of it didn't result in having to pay more for his schooling.   At the end of his Jr. year when we was drafted, the coach did make a substantial offer in an effort to entice my son to not sign a pro contract.  It was a very good offer but son really wanted to start his pro career and didn't feel waiting to after his senior year would be in his best interest for getting started on that career.

Walk on's  who play well can earn scholarships, they have to come from somewhere.  It's not unheard of for juniors and seniors who really have no option to leave to have their scholarships reduced 10-20%.  When you see these big time schools bring in 15 freshmen every year you know many will lose their scholarships if they don't show good right away.  In my son's case he was drafted his junior year and went right down to the deadline before deciding to return to school,  His coach thought he was leaving and wasn't able to give him what  he had been getting since he used most of it on other players, but he did get most of it.  Makes it tough on the coach.

Son's college team, coach told a pitcher take summer off rest arm, had alot of work prior spring season, told pitcher was going to be big part of next season.  Pitcher didn't listen to coach, played in summer ball, got sore arm, etc., when returned to school in fall arm still not right, coach cut his scholarship in half, pitcher transferred out during fall.

Pitcher was an idiot, what team was he playing on if school didn't send him to play Summer Ball? Didn't know they could cut scholarship until after season. Won't this player have to be counted on Spring Roster since he got money? Did he get to play that Spring somewhere else, or have to sit out a yr.?

guess my ? With post is how many kids leave when money  is reduced or cut totally. 

Proud Praent posted:

Son's college team, coach told a pitcher take summer off rest arm, had alot of work prior spring season, told pitcher was going to be big part of next season.  Pitcher didn't listen to coach, played in summer ball, got sore arm, etc., when returned to school in fall arm still not right, coach cut his scholarship in half, pitcher transferred out during fall.

There must be more to this story.  Schools are required to notify returning scholarship players of their renewal status well before school starts. I think the deadline is June 30. 

Here is a refreshing angle.  Son was offered and given 40% Freshman year, and told,  it would be 40% each of the four years.  Three days before classes begin in Aug. of Soph. year Coach asks son to help the team out. He offers son an additional 40% plus another 5% (85%) if he would take the 85% Soph year, back to 40% Jr. year and 0% Senior year.  Coach was looking to free up Scholarship dollars for a 2018 and wanted to let that soph in HS know he would get the 40% future ride.

We said:, " Oh, yeah, we will take that money up front all day long!"

Do not waste time & energy trying to figure out where a team is allocating the $$ to and @ what %.  There are far to many variables involved. And it is an unwritten rule among teammates not to discuss their financial situations.  

Listen to the Wise & Sage Elder Posters on this site ~ "Enjoy the Moment, Enjoy the Ride, Control What You Can and never try to guess what the Coach is thinking"  

The stories my son has shared in his  past 2 seasons  regarding a situation like Proud Parent above is that:  "What a coach tells a player in an exit interview from either Fall Ball or Season End, and what that player relays to his parents , and what he tells his teammates are not always the same story.  "    

Journey On posted:

Here is a refreshing angle.  Son was offered and given 40% Freshman year, and told,  it would be 40% each of the four years.  Three days before classes begin in Aug. of Soph. year Coach asks son to help the team out. He offers son an additional 40% plus another 5% (85%) if he would take the 85% Soph year, back to 40% Jr. year and 0% Senior year.  Coach was looking to free up Scholarship dollars for a 2018 and wanted to let that soph in HS know he would get the 40% future ride.

Do not waste time & energy trying to figure out where a team is allocating the $$ to and @ what %.  There are far to many variables involved. And it is an unwritten rule among teammates not to discuss their financial situations.  

Listen to the Wise & Sage Elder Posters on this site ~ "Enjoy the Moment, Enjoy the Ride, Control What You Can and never try to guess what the Coach is thinking"  

The stories my son has shared in his  past 2 seasons  regarding a situation like Proud Parent above is that:  "What a coach tells a player in an exit interview from either Fall Ball or Season End, and what that player relays to his parents , and what he tells his teammates are not always the same story.  "    

Journey  On,

Help me out here. Your sons scholarship agreement was changed before he began his sophmore  year after promising him 40% for 4 years to free up money for a 2018, giving your son no athletic money his senior year?

You do realize that this puts your son into a walk on situation who could possibly lose his player  status senior year to that  player?  Did you all discuss that possibility with the coach?

Folks, never think you are given a fair deal anytime the original agreement is changed. The coaches are much better at this than we will ever benand thinking way far ahead more than you ever will be.

JMO

So, I am going to bump this thread because there is now another one happening with similar ideas and I owe TPM a response.  Basically we have been holding our breathe since June of 2016 based on her wisdom & experience.  Then,  we HAVE BEEN WAITING TO EXHALE FOR 5 MONTHS. Coach resigned end of May & entire coaching staff replaced 1st week of June.  A far worse situation than TPM warned !   Happy to report all is well and son is on the 2018 roster.  

Journey On posted:

So, I am going to bump this thread because there is now another one happening with similar ideas and I owe TPM a response.  Basically we have been holding our breathe since June of 2016 based on her wisdom & experience.  Then,  we HAVE BEEN WAITING TO EXHALE FOR 5 MONTHS. Coach resigned end of May & entire coaching staff replaced 1st week of June.  A far worse situation than TPM warned !   Happy to report all is well and son is on the 2018 roster.  

Glad things worked out!

I am not a fan of going back on ones word, especially 3 days before class. No scholarship, I have been led to believe the  last year ( unless the player has established himself as a bona fide benefit to the team), can leave the player in a difficult predicament.

Unfortunately this seems to be an accepted practice recently. 

No one should have to hold their breath, people need to go with their sons decision and then enjoy the ride.

One more thing, 2018 rosters aren't set until a few days before the championship season. 

Last edited by TPM
TPM posted:
Journey On posted:

Glad things worked out!

I am not a fan of going back on ones word, especially 3 days before class. No scholarship, I have been led to believe the  last year ( unless the player has established himself as a bona fide benefit to the team, can leave the player in a difficult predicament.

Unfortunately this seems to be an accepted practice recently. 

No one should have to hold their breath, people need to go with their sons decision and then enjoy the ride.

One more thing, 2018 rosters aren't set until a few days before the championship season. 

"No one should have to hold their breath, people need to go with their sons decision and then enjoy the ride."

TPM says it all.  Enjoy every minute, every inning, every K or HR.  Because when the ride stops you will be using your memory to relive every step of this incredible journey.

With son finishing fall number two have seen this firsthand with son’s teammates and lots of his former summer teammates.  Would imagine around 50% are at new schools.  

Crazy all the reasons why and scenarios that look good to me but the player wasn’t happy for one reason or another. 

Most of the cases I’ve seen are player initiated and pretty easy to see why. If coach told you he had a roster spot but no role most kids who can play are headed elsewhere. Would advise most to do the same

TPM posted:
Journey On posted:

Journey  On,

Help me out here. Your sons scholarship agreement was changed before he began his sophmore  year after promising him 40% for 4 years to free up money for a 2018, giving your son no athletic money his senior year?

You do realize that this puts your son into a walk on situation who could possibly lose his player  status senior year to that  player?  Did you all discuss that possibility with the coach?

Folks, never think you are given a fair deal anytime the original agreement is changed. The coaches are much better at this than we will ever benand thinking way far ahead more than you ever will be.

JMO

Have seen it happen more than once where seniors who originally had a four year scholarship deal (i.e., guaranteed NCAA roster counter) give up this leverage by agreeing to take their scholarship money up front.  This strategy could work great for those that leave school early to go into the draft. But on the flip side they can unexpectedly find themselves without scholarship dollars in their senior year, get cut from the team in favor of incoming guys, and end up devastated. As TPM points out, it is a real risk. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.