Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Our HS field, 325 to left, 365 to center, 325 to right (8 foot fence all around). Team as a whole hit 15 Home Runs. One player had 9, one had 5 and one had 1. As the player that hit 5 I can say that I not once hit a ball out during BP. Most home runs in BP came from the player that hit 9 but about 3 guys hit home runs in practice but never in the game.

pabaseballdad posted:
CoachB25 posted:

I went and looked.  In 2005 when I had a serious stud team, we went 8, 6, 6, 5, and 4 with our big boys.  One of the players with 6 was drafted by the Red Sox.  However, he tore his Achilles tendon and it was all over. 

That was pre bb core ?   

Yes.  However, those kids were really studs.  We met at 6 in the morning every day until our season started.  They alternated plyos and weights.  They had good size being 6'5", 6'4", 6'4" ...  One of the little guys is really into Crossfit.

My son had 4 his senior year.  One other player had 1.  The year before I think his team had 4 total.  He could get 4-5 in a BP session fairly easily.  The other kid who hit the HR probably had more power, but wasn't as consistent.   If I would throw him a bucket of 50 or so, he'd get 10-12 on a good day.  Not bad for a 5'11 165 lb SS/P.   He hit some in BP during this spring in college.....at one point he had kept track (he and another guy were having a contest).  He was essentially a PO, so I know his power took a little hit due to non use.  He got to bat the first exhibition game for his summer team and hit one out in the 2nd inning with a wood bat....so he was pretty happy to see he could still do it.

CoachB25 posted:
pabaseballdad posted:
CoachB25 posted:

I went and looked.  In 2005 when I had a serious stud team, we went 8, 6, 6, 5, and 4 with our big boys.  One of the players with 6 was drafted by the Red Sox.  However, he tore his Achilles tendon and it was all over. 

That was pre bb core ?   

Yes.  However, those kids were really studs.  We met at 6 in the morning every day until our season started.  They alternated plyos and weights.  They had good size being 6'5", 6'4", 6'4" ...  One of the little guys is really into Crossfit.

Beasts !   Won a lot of games getting off bus I bet !

My 2014 son's team hit 11.He hit 7 of them(2 opposite field). 2015 team hit 10 and 2016 team hit 4. Field dimensions 325 down the lines,370 in the gaps and 400 in center. Most of the HS fields they played on were similar in dimensions.The big difference was the micro climates.Schools closer to the Bay and ocean often had heavy marine layer and the ocean breeze blowing in which kept more balls in the park.The schools out in the East County have a much different desert like climate.The ball really carries well out there.I suspect our team would have had 20 plus HR's if we had played out there.

The 2014 senior class has four players that are playing in college.

D1 :RHP

D2: MIF

D3: OF(son),RHP

Either you have power or you don't.Either you have plus bat speed or you don't. BBCOR bats have never been an excuse for lack of power production. Many coaches still whine about them though.

Son's senior year (2012) I think there were 10 team HR's.  Seven by one player (5 tool player - was drafted - threw 95), two by my son and one by one other player.  Son had 4 total for his HS career (one a grand slam).  Home field was 305' down the line, 365' CF.

In college, he had 8 total.  Two his freshman year (JuCo), none his sophomore year (JuCo) and 6 his junior year (D2).  However he made up for no HR's his sophomore year by hitting 27 doubles (broke the school record) which got him noticed by the D2 RC.  Both college fields were about the same - 335' down the line and 400' to CF with deep alley ways.

bobbyaguho posted:

My 2014 son's team hit 11.He hit 7 of them(2 opposite field). 2015 team hit 10 and 2016 team hit 4. Field dimensions 325 down the lines,370 in the gaps and 400 in center. Most of the HS fields they played on were similar in dimensions.The big difference was the micro climates.Schools closer to the Bay and ocean often had heavy marine layer and the ocean breeze blowing in which kept more balls in the park.The schools out in the East County have a much different desert like climate.The ball really carries well out there.I suspect our team would have had 20 plus HR's if we had played out there.

The 2014 senior class has four players that are playing in college.

D1 :RHP

D2: MIF

D3: OF(son),RHP

Either you have power or you don't.Either you have plus bat speed or you don't. BBCOR bats have never been an excuse for lack of power production. Many coaches still whine about them though.

BBCOR is a reality. I think everybody at all age levels should swing bbcor or wood so I am a fan. But to say essentially it makes no difference...  The old bats from 15 years ago probably add 50 to 60 feet maybe more!  It's a huge difference. And really didn't bbcor come around less than 10 years ago?  Anything before bbcor is not even close to a fair comparison. 

Last edited by 2020dad

HS HR's are hugely effected by field layout.  Our park is big and prevailing winds blow left to right.  We rarely see more than three a year by both teams combined.  There are a few parks in our area with shorter fences and different wind conditions and the same teams will combine for 10-15 per year.  There are a few small schools in the region with no fences and the result is that very average players pile up some HR's.

BTW, a college summer team also played at our park for a few years recently.  They played later in the eve when winds die down.  Combine that with the older, better, stronger players and it was fun to see quite different results.

homeruns posted:

Can hit them in games on regular sized high school fields, 325 down the lines, 350 to center, and also hit 4-5 out every batting practice session?

Tough question....some high school varsity teams can be beaten by a 14u rec club, and some high school varsity teams could give a D1 college team a run for their money.  If you are including ALL high schools across the country I would agree it's less than 1%.

CaCO3Girl posted:
homeruns posted:

Can hit them in games on regular sized high school fields, 325 down the lines, 350 to center, and also hit 4-5 out every batting practice session?

Tough question....some high school varsity teams can be beaten by a 14u rec club, and some high school varsity teams could give a D1 college team a run for their money.  If you are including ALL high schools across the country I would agree it's less than 1%.

Theoretically speaking, if a kid can hit as I described, but only played 1 season of high school ball, and played rec the rest of his life, would it still be possible to play college ball or would colleges dismiss him on the fact he hasn't played against much quality competition.

If he only played rec ball and it was truly rec, he would have a very difficult time having success against decent college pitching.  Assuming that player is you (oh, sorry, forgot it was theoretical), have you (or theoretical guy) stood in against a guy who throws 87-88 and has a nasty curve and felt comfortable driving both pitches?  A college coach won't necessarily dismiss you but will want to see, in person, that you can hit high level pitching before offering to put you on the roster.  

Now, if you are willing to go to a D3 and pay your $40K per year, you are more likely to find a coach willing to have you join in the fall and try to earn your way on to the roster.

Generally speaking, not playing HS ball can be overcome as long as one is playing with a competitive travel/club organization.  

How old and what grade is theoretical guy?

cabbagedad posted:

If he only played rec ball and it was truly rec, he would have a very difficult time having success against decent college pitching.  Assuming that player is you (oh, sorry, forgot it was theoretical), have you (or theoretical guy) stood in against a guy who throws 87-88 and has a nasty curve and felt comfortable driving both pitches?  A college coach won't necessarily dismiss you but will want to see, in person, that you can hit high level pitching before offering to put you on the roster.  

Now, if you are willing to go to a D3 and pay your $40K per year, you are more likely to find a coach willing to have you join in the fall and try to earn your way on to the roster.

Generally speaking, not playing HS ball can be overcome as long as one is playing with a competitive travel/club organization.  

How old and what grade is theoretical guy?

lol yeah I'm the theoretical guy, I've faced 90+ mph pitching and was surprised it wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. I feel like if I face it more often I would do pretty good. Haven't drove a pitch off someone who throws that fast but I'm not getting blown away and I'm not late on it. I'm going to be a senior and I'm 17.  The rec league I played in the pitchers threw between 65-80 mph and I was batting close to .700.

OK, so unfortunately, the .700 in rec league will mean nothing to a college recruiter.  I t does say that you can probably barrel the ball with some consistency.  The HR's in batting practice show that you have some power.  Now, you have to scramble to find a way to get lots of AB's against better pitching so you can get comfortable and proficient there.  Are you serious about your efforts to play in college or just kicking around the dream?  

If serious, give some more background and myself and others can try to at least provide advice that may help.

homeruns posted:

Yes I am serious,  and what background information do you need? And I was able to hit home runs in the rec league games too but, its basically off batting practice, i hit 9.

He wants your stats (pop time, 60 time, pitch speed...etc) anything that has been measured.

also would be helpful to give a general location like north east PA, or where ever you are from.

CaCO3Girl posted:
homeruns posted:

Yes I am serious,  and what background information do you need? And I was able to hit home runs in the rec league games too but, its basically off batting practice, i hit 9.

He wants your stats (pop time, 60 time, pitch speed...etc) anything that has been measured.

also would be helpful to give a general location like north east PA, or where ever you are from.

60 yd dash time is 7.1, i throw upper 70s, bat lefty and pitch lefty, and i live in florida. Farthest ball ive hit was a 400 footer with no wind either.

Why only rec?  Why only one year of HS?  How much success did you have that year?  How many HR's?  V or JV?  Can you join a decent travel team for the summer?  There is an awful lot of good baseball in Fla and Ga.  Are expenses an issue?  What was the setting when you faced a guy throwing 90?  What is your career direction/major?  Have you gone to any showcases?  Have you worked with an instructor?  What are your strengths and weaknesses defensively?  Have you looked into schools at all?  Have you had a qualified person give you an honest assessment of your skill level? 

cabbagedad posted:

Why only rec?  Why only one year of HS?  How much success did you have that year?  How many HR's?  V or JV?  Can you join a decent travel team for the summer?  There is an awful lot of good baseball in Fla and Ga.  Are expenses an issue?  What was the setting when you faced a guy throwing 90?  What is your career direction/major?  Have you gone to any showcases?  Have you worked with an instructor?  What are your strengths and weaknesses defensively?  Have you looked into schools at all?  Have you had a qualified person give you an honest assessment of your skill level? 

I'm going to pm you.

bobbyaguho posted:

FYI--balls travel farther in humid air...

homeruns posted:

Theoretically speaking, if a kid can hit as I described, but only played 1 season of high school ball, and played rec the rest of his life, would it still be possible to play college ball or would colleges dismiss him on the fact he hasn't played against much quality competition.

You ask that question as though you believe every college pitcher throws 90+ with filthy “stuff” and every college batter hits lasers all over the park every at bat, and nothing could be further from the truth.

The answer is, if a college coach feels a player will outperform other players vying for the same roster spot, it won’t matter what level he played. Here are so many different levels of college baseball and so many college teams, virtually any player who had the skills to still be playing as a Sr in HS could likely find a college roster he could get on someplace.

Matt13 posted:

FYI--balls travel farther in humid air...

That's different than  anything I've ever heard.

The kid hit 9 out this year. A couple long fly balls on short fields, a couple absolute bombs on big fields. Also had a few that were raked but on a big fields for long fly outs, HR's on a lot of fields. Had a couple the were raked on a small field with the a strong wind blowing in for fly outs.

Hard to gauge HR's as a stat given all the variables.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.