Skip to main content

Cabbagedad, thanks for the explanation.  I can see why it would be a logistical nightmare and simply undoable to teach pitching like that.

I was proposing more of my scenario which wouldn't be enough to teach how to pitch in a highly effective way but should be enough for the 13u 90 pound kid to be able to take a couple innings in a blow out game so the other kids who actually are getting outside pitching help and lessons don't have to throw those unnecessary innings.

I think because you are a good coach if you are going to do something you are going to do something right and not half a$$ it.  If you say "I will teach this kid how to pitch", then you do, and wouldn't be satisfied with the half attempt I described. This past year (14u) three pitchers were used so often it was just absurd.

CaCO3Girl posted:

Cabbagedad, thanks for the explanation.  I can see why it would be a logistical nightmare and simply undoable to teach pitching like that.

I was proposing more of my scenario which wouldn't be enough to teach how to pitch in a highly effective way but should be enough for the 13u 90 pound kid to be able to take a couple innings in a blow out game so the other kids who actually are getting outside pitching help and lessons don't have to throw those unnecessary innings.

I think because you are a good coach if you are going to do something you are going to do something right and not half a$$ it.  If you say "I will teach this kid how to pitch", then you do, and wouldn't be satisfied with the half attempt I described. This past year (14u) three pitchers were used so often it was just absurd.

Three is crazy.  And, yes, I go overboard sometimes on trying to do it all "right".  That's partially why I know kids don't like to hear coaches talk too much  

I have a 13u and I have no idea of what is coming this season. I expect him to be developed as a player/teammate as it relates to team baseball IQ. Aside from that, I am proceeding as if they are going to do nothing with hitting or pitching mechanics. We will continue with our regularly scheduled training. I would like them to guide him to a higher level of baseball. 

bacdorslider posted:

I haven't seen 2018 for a few weeks, now at the 2016 WS , he stays at his hotel I stay at mine.... if he needs something he will tell me.... drinks  ? carrying bags ?   if he's on crutches maybe.... 

Was at a camp at a local D1 school and during the parent/player Q&A the coach brought up that one of the difficult parts of the recruiting process is trying to determine how a player is going to cope with being away from home. Seeing a parent bring in Gatoraid to a dugout or carry a player's equipment probably does not give the impression you would want a persepective coach to have. 

Side note....PG STAFF is correct...scouts show up at every tournament in every state my son's National team plays in. This not only benefits those on the team, but also, those playing against the team! 

Last edited by Scott Munroe

Wanted to update my previous post in this thread.  You live and learn.

I have realized that it is absurd to have my 2021 playing nationally in the fall of his freshman year.  The cost of travel would be ridiculous and there would be little benefit from a scouting standpoint.

Last Fall I had him "play up" as an 8th Grader on a JV team.  It was great experience, he learned a lot and got better.  Cost was $85.  This winter as an 8th grader he got to attend his high school's winter workouts, 30+ practices over 11 weeks, the volunteer coaches were all former college players, he learned a ton, cost was $0.

This Fall we'll likely play in the same Fall Ball league, likely in the Varsity division.  Playing up against kids 2-3 years older is plenty enough of a challenge.  He'll probably only play 2B and LF and bat further down the order but he'll learn a lot and be challenged.  There is no need for us to travel to Florida to play 15U kids there when he can play 17U kids in WI

This summer he's on a 14U travel team that will just play in our state.  He'll play 7 different positions (everything besides pitcher & catcher) on a Majors team.  That is plenty, to me....

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.