Skip to main content

I just can't see how he is not good for baseball. People want to see him play. Some want him to fail. Some want him to succeed. Some just are curious and want to see what all the buzz is about. Yes the odds are stacked against him. Yeah chances are he will never be a ML player. But I just can't see how he is bad for baseball. There are players drafted every year that get a chance that more deserving players do not get. For many reasons. And yes believe it or not because of who they are. Would Tim have been given this shot if he wasn't Tim? Will he get more chances to succeed because he is Tim? Doesn't that happen at every level of the game? Doesn't that happen at every work place? For many reasons.

By all accounts he is a great guy. I never thought he was a NFL QB. I don't believe his faith forced him out of the NFL. I do believe him being outspoken about his faith caused some to dislike him. I do believe fans who screamed that because of his faith he was not given a fair shot in the NFL caused some to dislike him. Some people simply watch sports for sports and don't want to hear about political views or faith. That in itself I believe has caused some to dislike him.

I just believe that more people in the stands and more interest in the game is a good thing. And I also happen to believe that having young kids wanting to emulate a guy like Tim is a good thing. But that is just my opinion. I certainly don't begrudge anyone for having a different opinion. Tim is going to be fine regardless of how this baseball thing goes.

Excellent points Coach may ... Didn't the Dodgers draft someone with their last pick in the 62nd round as a favor to Tommy Lasorda?  The name escapes me.... but I think he made the club and stuck around for a while.   I am sure there was someone behind him that felt they were more deserving.   How many of them made it to Cooperstown?

Step right up! See the four legged, six eyed left fielder! Does Tebow want freak show to be the reason he makes the majors? I have a feeling he's honest enough to tell the Mets he doesn't deserve it. If he doesn't I lose a lot of respect for him.

If the Mets make the offer I lose a lot of respect for them. It's the kind of freak show stuff the Indies do to draw crowds.

Last edited by RJM
NewUmpire posted:

Excellent points Coach may ... Didn't the Dodgers draft someone with their last pick in the 62nd round as a favor to Tommy Lasorda?  The name escapes me.... but I think he made the club and stuck around for a while.   I am sure there was someone behind him that felt they were more deserving.   How many of them made it to Cooperstown?

I played with AND against the son of a former MLB all-star, who then went on to coach for several organizations.  His son was no MLB player, in fact was not a particularly gifted HS player, but he did get drafted in the VERY late rounds by the team his father was w/at the time,  and never played an inning in either the minors OR college.  BUT, he could put  being drafted on his resume I guess...

RJM posted:

Step right up! See the four legged, six eyed left fielder! Does Tebow want freak show to be the reason he makes the majors? I have a feeling he's honest enough to tell the Mets he doesn't deserve it. If he doesn't I lose a lot of respect for him.

If the Mets make the offer I lose a lot of respect for them. It's the kind of freak show stuff the Indies do to draw crowds.

I am not sure how this would work (ML call up) as he has another job as well.

There are only certain situations they allow a leave during season.

younggun posted:

RJM, I have no idea so this is an honest question. If the parent organization that ownes his contract calls him up to the bigs, can he say no?  I'm just curious how that works. Seems to me he doesn't have a lot of choice and it maybe would be a breach of contract. Again, I am completely naive about this. 

Under normal circumstances the player would have earned the right to be called up (most players). Or player has the potential and the team grossly overrated the player's readiness (Mike Morgan, David Clyde).

Tebow is an unusual circumstance. If the Mets want him up this year it wouldn't be potential, readiness or he earned it. If it occursmaybe Tebow would realize he's being used and walk away. 

Would people pay the price of a MLB ticket to see Tebow sit on the bench? If he played he would be overwhelmed and humiliated. 

Last edited by RJM

Selective endpoints and all, but he's hitting 207/302/293 since he hit his last HR on May 21st, and he was only at 230/319/369 before that.

Seems likely to steal PT from Emmanual Zabala at A+, whose 197/265/217 line isn't exactly awe-inspiring, so I guess it's not that big a deal from that standpoint.  Are the Mets MiLBers all this bad?

If the concept of Tebow ever making the majors is a legit idea he needs  to go through low A and high A this year. Then he needs to go through AA and AAA next year with a September call up. 

If he fails in high A the rest of the season there are two options; 1) end the charade and release him or 2) continue the charade and sell tickets at their Mets organization owned high A team  (coincidently in Florida) next season.

For whatever reason I believe Tebow is only doing this for publicity. For the Mets it took headlines away from the Yankees until they turned the corner this season.

NewUmpire posted:

Mike Piazza. Hall of fame catcher.

RJM posted:

If the concept of Tebow ever making the majors is a legit idea he needs  to go through low A and high A this year. Then he needs to go through AA and AAA next year with a September call up. 

If he fails in high A the rest of the season there are two options; 1) end the charade and release him or 2) continue the charade and sell tickets at their Mets organization owned high A team  (coincidently in Florida) next season.

For whatever reason I believe Tebow is only doing this for publicity. For the Mets it took headlines away from the Yankees until they turned the corner this season.

I don't think Tebow is doing this for publicity.  I think he genuinely wants to succeed, and he is working hard at it.  It's just not going to happen for him.  The Mets on the other hand, 100% doing this for publicity and selling tickets.

rynoattack posted:
RJM posted:

I don't think Tebow is doing this for publicity.  I think he genuinely wants to succeed, and he is working hard at it.  It's just not going to happen for him.  The Mets on the other hand, 100% doing this for publicity and selling tickets.

While that may be true, his publicity people admit that they thought that this would be a good way to increase his brand, his book deals and espn renewal.

Of course he had to have agreed, he just seems like too nice of a guy to let anyone down.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.