Skip to main content

I'm curious why many very good JUCO players (sophomores) aren't yet committed by a 4 year school.  When I say good, I'm talking about kids who are likely to be drafted albeit middle rounds.  By the same token, I see kids who aren't as good locked up in the fall. 

One fall tournament I saw pro scouts flocking around a kid who was completely ignored by the colleges.  His dad told me that his coach only heard from the pro scouts and zero interest from the schools present while the less talented kid had colleges talking to him.  Is there something I'm missing?  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you look at rosters for mid D1 and D2 programs ( especially here in Florida) JUCO players fill rosters. 

One thing to remember is that many JUCO players normally  arent recruited unless they have the credits to transfer which takes about 4 semesters.

One other thing, and frustrating at times, many are recruited but don't actually decide until the April signing period  where to play. They attend big JUCO tournies ( big one in Auburndale) in hopes of catching a D1coaches attention, with sites on the larger programs when in need of losing to the draft, especially when the lose players to the draft unexpectedly.

Now here is a story. Last year son while at FSC (D2) was recruiting a pitcher who decided on FAU  (D1 over D2). Ironically,  son was hired as the pitching coach at FAU and the player he wanted is the closer.

Baseball is a small world, especially here in Florida.

BTW, FAU play the Charlotte 49ers  this weekend who have 6 or 7 JUCO transfers on their roster.

Last edited by TPM

I agree with TPM, the top Juco's are looking to get drafted first or find a power 5 or similar school that lost to the draft.   The less talented Juco players are just looking for D1 , D2 opportunities and when they arise they take them.   Thus they "seem" to go first.   I know I player who was holding out for  the draft, when he was not drafted, he ended up at Auburn.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.