Skip to main content

I think what we see here is that for simply getting on base exit velocity is king. 91-103 is really a pretty small span compared to 7-28 degrees of launch angle.  However I still can't agree that singles are productive enough for us to teach toward them. Certainly when my kid drops a single into the outfield I am happy. Just happy he got on. But that's not really the goal. So to the original purpose of this thread my opinion is unchanged - launch angle plus exit velocity is what it's about. Mark the cage or do whatever but coach to launch angle AND exit velocity. Neither matters without the other. A nice 25 degree launch Andre at 75mph is probably a fly out. A smoked 100mph ground ball has a pretty decent chance to get through the infield for a hit. But the holy grail is the 100mph+ exit velocity and 25 degree launch angle. 

2020 I can agree that teaching and practice for 15-25 launch angle is great, that being said I feel your total commitment to these numbers is extreme. 

Imo the metrics you are using are based on MLB data, at least I assume as much, that data doesn't translate to HS or 90 plus percent of college. The games and talent are different, the fielders are different it is just apples and oranges. A 100mph short hop gets booted or finds a hole a hell of a lot of times....

I don't mean to be a know it all but my gut tells me that for 90 plus percent of kids plus 5 to plus 25 launch angle is gold if you want to win. I will also tell you that bunting for a kid with plus speed but average swing is plus EV, sac bunting effectively in the bottom of the line up wins and I would be comfortable saying that at least 50% of the line up should be committed to sac bunting. 

these are truths are based on success on the field at all levels below being paid to play!! I believe using MLB data in the amature game as the sole basis for decision making is a flawed strategy. 

But old school we are having two different conversations here. You are talking about what it might take to win a high school game. I am talking about developing a player. And yes there are many high school players with no desire or ability to play beyond. Let them be the grinders. If you want to play at a higher level you have to develop a swing that will succeed on the higher level.   And MLB hitters distinguish themselves far more with their ability to read pitches and square the ball up. The ability to have an in game exit velocity of 100 is really not all that rare. That's comparable to upper 80's off the tee. And that is pretty common for good travel organizations for sure.   My interest at the moment is developing my son to the best of his ability. Not concerned with a high school game result. Yes I care more about my sons development than his high school teams record. But there is room for both. If we get him hitting gappers and dingers I am pretty sure he will also help his high school team win!

2020dad posted:

But old school we are having two different conversations here. You are talking about what it might take to win a high school game. I am talking about developing a player. And yes there are many high school players with no desire or ability to play beyond. Let them be the grinders. If you want to play at a higher level you have to develop a swing that will succeed on the higher level.   And MLB hitters distinguish themselves far more with their ability to read pitches and square the ball up. The ability to have an in game exit velocity of 100 is really not all that rare. That's comparable to upper 80's off the tee. And that is pretty common for good travel organizations for sure.   My interest at the moment is developing my son to the best of his ability. Not concerned with a high school game result. Yes I care more about my sons development than his high school teams record. But there is room for both. If we get him hitting gappers and dingers I am pretty sure he will also help his high school team win!

Kind of an important point.  Develop to the kids ultimate potential. If he's got high D1 and pro potential then definately go for MLB exit velocities and launch angles.  But for the other 90+%, work on making them an effective player and a major contributor to their HS team.  

Edit: post was messed up and hidden in citation.

There also is a difference between being a hs coach and a private hitting coach. In a team setting you generally gain more when you focus your energy more or the average to below average kids. The bottom ones are usually hopeless and the top ones have less potential to improve. So if you are a hs coach with a 25 roster and you want to win focus to improve the 6th to 15th best player. Those are not the worst but also not college material.

Team coaches tend to leave the studs alone and focus on the middle pack because that gives you the biggest bang for the buck and you don't want to risk ruining the stud players (happens even in pro ball). And for those middle pack players a focus on power production is probably not the primary focus.

With a private coach that is different because you have more time for the player (why would a hs coach waste half an hour to improve his best players swing by 3%...) and the player likely is good and aspiring to play the next level, in that case it might make very much sense to improve a D2 talent to D1 or a 6th rounder to third round.

Last edited by Dominik85

To clarify I certainly am not saying the here and now is unimportant. And I really hate the expression because I find it really condescending depending how it's used but I am enjoying the ride. But when your kid is 6'4" 225 and still growing/maturing...  even the high school team needs him to pound the ball. I also want to be clear there is a low chance of him being a hitter at a high level college. Although I am starting to hedge on that. With a now 87mph exit velocity (off tee) and hasn't played a high school game yet...  there are very, very few kids who end up with upper 90's to 100 exit velocity that don't get scooped up by someone. Would be an interesting question for PG. wonder if there has ever been a kid who showcased at a 100+ exit velocity who has not played college ball as a hitter?  My son may be a first lol!  I have always assumed he would be a PO in college but he has me wondering now. So bottom line as long as there is even a remote chance he owes it to himself to do what could possibly help get him there. 

BTW here is a nice article about "barreled" balls.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/t...s-of-barreled-balls/

the Chart Shows that the number of hard hit balls Peak around 10 degrees (which probably is about the average upward attack angle of the bat).  that means Players are not really trying to hit the balls above that by hitting below Center. there are just as many below 10 degrees than above.

that probably means that you should aim for the top of the Screen or top Corner of the back of the Screen trying to square up the ball at around 10-15 degrees. some will cut under it and some will cut over it.

you just shouldn't aim for Zero degrees and have the cut under mistakes hitting the top of the Screen.

Dominik85 posted:

BTW here is a nice article about "barreled" balls.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/t...s-of-barreled-balls/

the Chart Shows that the number of hard hit balls Peak around 10 degrees (which probably is about the average upward attack angle of the bat).  that means Players are not really trying to hit the balls above that by hitting below Center. there are just as many below 10 degrees than above.

that probably means that you should aim for the top of the Screen or top Corner of the back of the Screen trying to square up the ball at around 10-15 degrees. some will cut under it and some will cut over it.

you just shouldn't aim for Zero degrees and have the cut under mistakes hitting the top of the Screen.

Thanks for posting!  But the whole point of the article - the 'barreled' balls shows almost none under 10 degrees.  I would stick to a goal of about 15 degree uppercut and hitting just below center of the ball.  True many of those hard hit ground balls get you on base in a high school game but i guess its all about what are your long term goals.

2020dad posted:
Go44dad posted:

just saw this on ABCA coaches feed.

diamond kinetics

And I guarantee you hit the top of the cage 14' in front of you and the tobacco spitters are gonna bust a gut screaming at you that its a pop up!

that is because with 90% of the HS kids swinging a BBcor it is a pop up - actually I would be willing to bet it is for more then 90% of HS kids.

You have to use logic while evaluating stats...

old_school posted:
2020dad posted:
Go44dad posted:

diamond kinetics

And I guarantee you hit the top of the cage 14' in front of you and the tobacco spitters are gonna bust a gut screaming at you that its a pop up!

that is because with 90% of the HS kids swinging a BBcor it is a pop up - actually I would be willing to bet it is for more then 90% of HS kids.

You only need 80 mph of exit velocity for that ball to go 300 feet. Certainly not a pop out and maybe a double in the gap. A fly out if hit at a fielder. 90mph gets you 350 feet.  A home run in a lot of high school fields except for the deepest part of the field. Still probably an extra base hit unless hit to absolute straight away cf and he can get back to it.  For it to be a pop up it would have to be like 50mph or something.  If you can't deliver 90mph exit velocity in game (equal to high 70's off the tee) then you should not be a varsity high school player. Come on old school be honest - high 70's off the tee - don't tell me every high school varsity player should not be able to do that!

2020dad posted:
old_school posted:
2020dad posted:
Go44dad posted:

diamond kinetics

You only need 80 mph of exit velocity for that ball to go 300 feet. Certainly not a pop out and maybe a double in the gap. A fly out if hit at a fielder. 90mph gets you 350 feet.  A home run in a lot of high school fields except for the deepest part of the field. Still probably an extra base hit unless hit to absolute straight away cf and he can get back to it.  For it to be a pop up it would have to be like 50mph or something.  If you can't deliver 90mph exit velocity in game (equal to high 70's off the tee) then you should not be a varsity high school player. Come on old school be honest - high 70's off the tee - don't tell me every high school varsity player should not be able to do that!

you will learn...I was you a few years ago.

I have to leave for a meeting but

300' at a 30 degree launch is pop up - maybe a major league one but still a pop up. we will call it a major league fly if it helps.

350' from gap to gap gets caught more often then doesn't again at 30 degree launch.

wind is a huge wild card, I will grant you that.

again we are not talking about power hitting kids, we are talking about the lineup as a group. there exceptions

I will learn??  I am 54 years old!!  Not exactly wet behind the ears.  If you read back 15-25 is what I prefer.  This illustration of a batting cage has a marking at 30 degrees.  So I am willing to stick with the 30.  At 90mph exit velo and 30 degrees from my early research that is approx. 4.75 seconds hang time.  4.5 is a very good home to first time.  When running a home to first you are in a total ready to go position and knowing EXACTLY where you are going.  In the outfield you have to react and judge the ball.  Major league reaction time is about .4.  So to get 90 feet would take 4.9 seconds.  Longer than the hang time.  So what is realistic?  80 feet maybe?  Now you have to count on the high school outfielder (you have very little faith in the high school hitter) to take the exact correct path to the ball.  Not to mention not all angles are equal.  Going back is no doubt the hardest.  It is hightly doubtful he gets to a ball hit directly over his head.  Getting to or further than 80 feet in 4.75 seconds is highly unlikely.  But to give your position every benefit of the doubt lets say you can get the 80 feet.  The outfielder is playing about how deep?  250 feet? 275 tops?  Lets say 275.  MLB avrerage is about 300.  A little over in CF and a little less on the corners.  Personally I doubt high schoolers are playing 275 feet deep but again giving you all factors in your favor.   Ball hit 350 feet is bare minimum 75 feet away (over head) if hit directly at the outfielder.  By the way that is the toughest acceleration route so may not even get to 80 feet.  Now as we angle out a little...  The arc of the outfield at fielders depth is 275x1.571= 432.  So if you take 432/4 (representing the four gaps, foul line to rf, rf to cf, cf to lf, and lf to foul line) = 108 feet between outfielders.  So now we get our coverage areas...  Do I really have to finish all this math?  I think we can pretty easily see that a 350 foot fly ball at a 30 degree launch angle in a high school game has a very high probability of being an extra base hit.  The 300 footer is in the air less time but obviously closer to the fielders, still a hit in cases where it really hits the gap but much less chance.  I present you with facts and numbers and science.  You present me with anectdotal evidence at best and a "you will learn".  I am just gonna have to go out on a limb and say my case is just a bit stronger.  Now if we get to the 15-25 degree launch angles I actually advocate its not even worth arguing.  Its not that high school kids can't deliver the needed exit velocity, its that they have been taught to beat it into the ground for far too long.  So thats what they do.   

2020dad posted:
old_school posted:
2020dad posted:
Go44dad posted:

diamond kinetics

OK, I guess I'll crawl in and take another stab...

There are plenty of other data points that would question some of your numbers.  Per below, in 2013 at Jupiter, where the level of play was VERY high, the ten longest HR's came with an average exit speed of 95-96 MPH - this was off of pitched balls, not a tee.  To say that you don't belong in varsity HS if you can't deliver 90, I would say is quite a stretch.  I would love to see a broader set of numbers with average HS players as opposed to only those at the high profile events or from training camps where the cross-section is certainly above the average HS player.

http://www.efastball.com/artic...t-speeds-at-jupiter/

Additionally, there are other charts that state you need something closer to 95 -100 MPH to achieve any consistency of 350' distance...  and of course, there are other factors involved in the equation.

http://www.efastball.com/hitti...-speed-by-age-group/

Also, spin rate is a BIG factor.  You need backspin for max carry.  This means that your actual swing plane must be lesser than the resulting launch angle.  So, to teach a swing that matches the desired launch angle is counter-productive from a distance standpoint.  Also, when you try to teach an average HS player to specifically try and impart backspin (thus, implying "hit slightly below the center of the ball"), there will be far more misses under the ball and far more undesirable pop-ups.

Look, we know you have a big kid and that approach may turn out to work great for him but I will continue to argue strongly that it won't for the majority of HS players...  while I spit my seeds.

We had one of our first days of on-field hitting this past weekend and we have a few more big kids with pop than usual.  And, as with every year, the first time out on the field, the kids tend to reach for a little extra distance and tip it up.  Once again, there were countless oohs and ahhs at contact, only to see most of the balls tracked down without too much effort by OF shaggers.  A few days later, we got serious about our line drive approach and saw FAR more hits that would result in hits.  This plays out year after year after year.

With the three decent pop guys I have, I know that one will be fine with some intent to lift, while the other two will lose productivity if they don't take more of a "barrel level thru the zone" approach (and, again, the desired result to this approach is a barrel plane that is actually very close to the plane of the pitch).   Almost every contact at all levels is a slight to very slight miss.  Using "solid thru the center of the ball" mentality provides the most reward.

JMO.  Spit.  Spit.  

Ok cabbage a lot there...  but we always seem to find common ground!  First let me say this my preference is 15-25 degrees not 30. But that was the number on that photo and I gave old school everynpossible advantage on the debate. Optimum launch angle is in the 25 degree area. We were dealing with very very specific parameters. 30 degrees, 350 feet which would lead to approximately 4.75 hangtime. And yes you are correct that exit velocity needed for a given distance varies based on launch angle. I have not surprisingly seen those things you attached. So for the sake of our conversation cabbage let's try to confine it to the main point...  should a varsity player be able to deliver 90mph. Let's isolate on that. First off the 95-96mph avg home run. Sounds like you have done some research cabbage so you probably know that home runs are NOT representative of the highest exit velocity. Line drives and even sometimes one hop ground balls are of higher exit velocity. So those PG kids are certainly capable of 100+ exit velocity in game situations. So when you look at it that way we are now asking if a high school player should be able to produce 90% of that. I don't think there is a shadow of a doubt they should. None of this has anything to do with my son by the way. This is all pure baseball debate. Do you take exit velocities?  

And old school...  I am starting to think you are yanking my chain just to get a rise out of me...  I assure you I have seen hundreds of varsity high school baseball games. Have coaches at two state championship programs and one poor program. And scouted my share of games as well. Not to mention just watching some as a fan. And I have coached many many kids who went on to college and professional careers. 

By the way if you do a lot of perusing of statcast the biggest difference between the MLB guys and the wanna bes is consistency. These guys AVERAGE 90+ mph.  Pretty much any decent player 'can' get to 90 but how often?

Btw 90 is the average mlb exit velocity. It can be achieved by good hs hitters but doing it consistently is not easy against pitching.

The average exit velocity is usually around 15 to 20 mph below the top exit velocity. For example altuve had a average exit velocity of 88.9 but a top Velo of 109. 

And mlb average velocity is actually even a little lower because the tracking system has trouble picking up very slow or chopped balls.

A HS player who tops out at 95 will probably average like in the upper 70s or so. 

2020dad posted:

...  So those PG kids are certainly capable of 100+ exit velocity in game situations. So when you look at it that way we are now asking if a high school player should be able to produce 90% of that. I don't think there is a shadow of a doubt they should. ...Do you take exit velocities?  

...  Pretty much any decent player 'can' get to 90 but how often?

No I don't take exits for my HS kids and I was sincere in asking for someone to provide real measured range is for average HS players in-game.  I don't believe they will be anywhere near 90% of the max of the best PG kids' best swings.  Could be wrong.  My guess is way closer to 80 or lower.  Which would bring us back to mostly routine fly balls.  Which is what I have seen for 25 years with balls hit at the launch angles we're talking about.

I totally don't buy that any decent HS player can get to 90 in-game with any regularity.  Just like the discussion on velo of Nature v Nurture...  should most P's be able to reach 90 with proper training, diet, workout, mechanics, etc.  Just not realistic.

cabbagedad posted:
2020dad posted:

...  So those PG kids are certainly capable of 100+ exit velocity in game situations. So when you look at it that way we are now asking if a high school player should be able to produce 90% of that. I don't think there is a shadow of a doubt they should. ...Do you take exit velocities?  

...  Pretty much any decent player 'can' get to 90 but how often?

No I don't take exits for my HS kids and I was sincere in asking for someone to provide real measured range is for average HS players in-game.  I don't believe they will be anywhere near 90% of the max of the best PG kids' best swings.  Could be wrong.  My guess is way closer to 80 or lower.  Which would bring us back to mostly routine fly balls.  Which is what I have seen for 25 years with balls hit at the launch angles we're talking about.

I totally don't buy that any decent HS player can get to 90 in-game with any regularity.  Just like the discussion on velo of Nature v Nurture...  should most P's be able to reach 90 with proper training, diet, workout, mechanics, etc.  Just not realistic.

Now we are changing the parameters!  I totally agree they can't get to 90 with regularity. So we are 100% in tune there. Now is where we may differ...  I would effort to get them more consistent rather than give up and go for ground balls. I did exit velocities at the horrible program I coached at. Even there the starters were pretty much all 'capable' of an in game 90. Now how often?  Not very!  A lot of strike outs to begin with and weak ground balls everywhere. 

Dominic, where did you find data on MLB off the tee exit velocities?

2020 I don't think anyone is here claiming you should work to hit ground balls. I just think if you look at the results of thousands AB's at the HS level and also glance at the power stats that are available....power hitters are rare and it isn't because they don't understand your concept. It is because very few have the talent you seem to think is standard. 

My sons HS team is pretty solid, they have 7 or 8 kids that will be playing college ball and there are 2 that have the ability to repeatedly drive the ball in the way you seem to think all varsity players should...now in fairness just about every #1 starter in the league is a D1 local or D2 pitcher next year and to the best of my knowledge most all the other pitchers will be throwing D3 so it is a highly competitive area. You don't get a Loy of meatballs to hit. 

Last weeks fangraphs was writing tons of articles about the launch angle thing

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs...ting-off-the-ground/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs...-get-off-the-ground/

I think the goal remains to hit a line drive. We just know now that the perfect line drive angle is not zero degrees (into the l screen) but around  15 degrees.

If you can shape your best shot to be around 15 degrees. That ball usually will have an apex height of like 25 feet or so on a field if it is hit like 85 mph so it is definitely not a real fly ball even for a small hitter.

If the best shot is shaped toward 15 degrees the home run is still a slight mistake under the ball but you don't need to get under the ball as much. I don't really think you should train to hit 30 degree shots all the time either. 

Dominik85 posted:

I think the goal remains to hit a line drive. We just know now that the perfect line drive angle is not zero degrees (into the l screen) but around  15 degrees.

If you can shape your best shot to be around 15 degrees. That ball usually will have an apex height of like 25 feet or so on a field if it is hit like 85 mph so it is definitely not a real fly ball even for a small hitter.

If the best shot is shaped toward 15 degrees the home run is still a slight mistake under the ball but you don't need to get under the ball as much. I don't really think you should train to hit 30 degree shots all the time either. 

Here are the calcs of where the ball will hit the top of an eight foot batting cage, given a decent EV (>80mph).

launch angle batting cage

Attachments

Images (1)
  • launch angle batting cage

Dom, been following this stuff as well.  Diamond Kinetics is another one mentioned frequently, which you may have mentioned in a previous post.  It's all interesting but with 2018 preparing for opening season I have to keep the talking about this stuff quiet.  On their twitter feed they reference a lot of things, but on their web site it's more sales site for their Swingtracker, similar Zepp but with improvements.

https://twitter.com/DiamondKinetics

Gov posted:

Dom, been following this stuff as well.  Diamond Kinetics is another one mentioned frequently, which you may have mentioned in a previous post.  It's all interesting but with 2018 preparing for opening season I have to keep the talking about this stuff quiet.  On their twitter feed they reference a lot of things, but on their web site it's more sales site for their Swingtracker, similar Zepp but with improvements.

https://twitter.com/DiamondKinetics

the chart I posted was from Diamond Kinetics...an old twitter post I think.

Go44dad posted:
Dominik85 posted:

Here are the calcs of where the ball will hit the top of an eight foot batting cage, given a decent EV (>80mph).

launch angle batting cage

One thing they did wrong is the 8 feet represents from point of contact.  So lets say you hit the ball 30" off the ground then the ball would strike a 10 1/2 foot high cage at 45 ft.  And honestly that is probably a more realistic cage height anyway.  But the point is even a low line drive to the outfield (thats what 10 degrees is) hits the top of the cage well before getting to the back of the cage - unless you are of course in a very short cage meant only for soft toss.  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0

Btw I think it makes sense to increase Launch angle with age. I think it is relatively easy to go from a level swing to a slight uppercut but from a chop down it becomes harder.

For preteen players I would actually teach level hits into the L screen because uppercutting for them can lead to flaws like dropping the hands, so basically aim for 0 to +5 degrees.

For 11 to 14 year old kids I would add a little bit of lean back and uppercut to match the pitch and hit rising liners over the infield at 10 to 15 degrees.

Many hs players can stay there but for some it might make sense to add a little more and go for 20 to 25 degrees to maximize power.

A couple of observations. 

Not sure I would "teach" launch angle.  Just teach an understanding of what the ball looks like in the tunnel and outside.  In other words, hitting the top is not necessarily "bad." 

HS outfielders are just as bad as infielders.  I have seen as many errors, and bad routes, in the outfield, as errors and bad hops in the infield.  So if you think hitting it on the ground gives you some type of advantage over fly balls in HS, it doesn't. 

Ground balls suck.  We are one of those ground ball, dink and dunk teams.  If you have great pitching and can keep games close, and can scratch a few runs across, it can work.  But against any good team, you're toast.  When you're down by 3, you need to be able to put runs on the board.  You need extra base hits to get runners into scoring position and get them home. 

And golf our first double header taught me you need to strike people out.  You are right if the ball goes in playbit is an adventure.  But when summer comes in travel ball those are outs.  So getting under the ball is crucial for a powerful kid.  Instead of hitting where they ain't - hit it where they can't go!

2020dad posted:

And golf our first double header taught me you need to strike people out.  You are right if the ball goes in playbit is an adventure.  But when summer comes in travel ball those are outs.  So getting under the ball is crucial for a powerful kid.  Instead of hitting where they ain't - hit it where they can't go!

You guys just started, so it will get better in a few weeks.  And one thing to note about summer ball, the outfielders are amazing.  We where a team that hits the ball in the air.  We made a lot of outs.  Anything too high, the outfield will get under it.  My kid pounded on probably 360 feet in left center.  SOB centerfielder tracked it down with an amazing over the shoulder catch. 

2020dad posted:

You revived your thread!  My son hit one last game had to be 95-100 EV (he is 90 off tee so yes realistic guess).  Right at the left fielder.  Never even had to move.  Now if that would have been a 27 degree launch angle...  he's trotting. 

my son hit 2 last week in a game where he was trotting and one right at the right fielder which may have been the hardest hit of the 3...they were all good. yesterday he was walked twice and had 6-3 and 4-3....they were not good!!!

enjoy the goods whenever they come regardless of the result!

edit - forgot about the F5 in foul territory...ugh lets talk about last week!!

Last edited by old_school

Curious if anybody else is seeing all these self proclaimed hitting "gurus"  tweeting:   "hit it in the air, it's the only way"?  This should be a gradual thing as kids first learn to hit it hard, then gradually adjusting the launch angles as they get stronger.  Two players on son's team with mediocre velocity are aiming for the fences all the time: results are easy pop fly's to the OF.  Sure, some are going to drop, but the results aren't helping the team, and the kids self esteem's aren't the greatest (which is a learning lesson of baseball in itself).  Lots of good things happen when you're hitting the ball hard, and the kids develop a good approach, along with learning to time up advanced pitching. 

Gov posted:

Curious if anybody else is seeing all these self proclaimed hitting "gurus"  tweeting:   "hit it in the air, it's the only way"?  This should be a gradual thing as kids first learn to hit it hard, then gradually adjusting the launch angles as they get stronger.  Two players on son's team with mediocre velocity are aiming for the fences all the time: results are easy pop fly's to the OF.  Sure, some are going to drop, but the results aren't helping the team, and the kids self esteem's aren't the greatest (which is a learning lesson of baseball in itself).  Lots of good things happen when you're hitting the ball hard, and the kids develop a good approach, along with learning to time up advanced pitching. 

Gov,

some where back in this thread posted that I believe people fall in love with MLB stats, percentages and numbers. The truth is IMO the games are different, 90 MPH one hoppers in HS baseball find holes A WHOLE LOT of times where in the MLB they may well get eaten up...HS baseball a few kids who should be looking to launch it high and deep but it is the exception not the rule., again IMO

it is pretty apparent not everyone agrees...that being said I think there are times and places where SAC bunts in HS are good - LOL I know  I know how stupid am I!!!!

Gov posted:

Yes hit it hard first.  But it's not so much as hit it in the air as opposed to hit it on the ground.  IMO, the goal in HS is the line drive.  It's a 70% success rate.  Starts as a sure single and if hit hard enough in the gaps, it's extra base time. The problem arises with these stupid tunnels.  Hitting the back of the tunnel is a ground ball. Hitting the top corners are gap shots.  #linedrivesrule. 

Hitting ground balls at any age is plain stupid. I don't care if the fielder makes an error.  You are looking to get better not win that specific high school game. The 'gurus' are just stating what should be obvious to all. Wanting kids to hit the back of the cage is stupid. Period. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.