Skip to main content

Swampboy posted:
chefmike7777 posted:

Been a while since I have posted. Reality has hit. 2  weekends ago, Jeremy got to start a game (2nd one of year). First inning 2 HPB, 2 BB, 1 double 3 singles, 1 wild pitch, 1 error by him throwing a sac bunt into right field   - 6 runs. Lasted 2 more inning with 2 hits given up in each but no runs.  Last Saturday, going in bottom 9 with 5-0 lead. 4 hits including a double and 3 earned runs.

Seems like he has lost a bit of velo but what he has really lost in location. Getting to many pitches across the middle of plate or in on batters (5 HPB in last 8 IP)

He is, as you can expect, very frustrated with himself. That being said, he is  pitching pain free, had a great academic junior year, is considered a leader on the team. So it is all relative.

I feel your pain.

I've been following him.

That's a tough rotation to break into with three starters and the closer all posting ERAs below 2.10.  

But even with these recent glitches, JR has a strong track record. 

Here's hoping he works through it, gets more chances, and figures it out.

Best wishes,

Oh I know about the strong rotation, those guys and the closer are good! Until last weekend he was the 5th guy under 2.10 ERA, Those 5 were hot. All but one has had a rough outing lately. Jeremy just has had 2 in short innings.  I laughed for a few weeks when he was "hot" not giving up any runs and pitching really well. For most part those around the program knew the projection pre season is he would be a starter once they got up his pitch count. So lots of other parents were asking me when he was going to be one of the weekend starting positions. I kept saying -"who are you going to not start? The guy that gave up 2 runs in 7 innings because the other 2 gave up 0?" . All of those guys have gotten their opportunity and run with it. No way you pull one of them, just because my son was expected pre season to get that spot. I understand that. He understands that. He thought he would be 4th starter when we had 4 league games in the weekend and that is what happened. It just did not go well. That might still happen for the other 2 weekends left of 4 game weekends. Or even though he had a rough couple of relief outings, I think he is still counted as one of their guys to rely on in the pen. So they may try someone else as 4th starter and have him be a key reliever. Totally up to how he performs and what is best for team.

He, I, and rest of my family has always been that way. Whether my son (whichever one) was best player or just cheering on the team. Between my 3 boys we have run the whole gamut of where they fit on a team. Best part of each of them getting to feel a part of all the levels on a team is they get to experience that feeling and grow from it.

Ryno's season came to an end on Friday.  Bittersweet for sure.  The team had a pretty rough year, but he had a very successful campaign.  Here are a few highlights:

This 0.84 was his ERA prior to his tournament game where he had his worst start of the year. (5.1 innings pitched, 4 runs, and 2 were earned.  He did have 11 K's though.)  Anyhow, on the team web site, they now have his ERA at 1.04, which would still barely lead the nation in ERA.  I am wondering if they didn't count this last game because it was a tourney game?

Prior to the tournament start, they handed out the Region XVIII awards, and Ryan was named Pitcher of the Year, 1st Team Pitcher, and All Defensive Team Pitcher.

Although it was a rough season win wise, I believe he enjoyed his year, and he loved his teammates.  He had a great time with them, and he is going to miss them.  Overall a really good experience at CSI, and even though I wasn't 100% on board with him going there, it turned out to be the best decision for him.

So he is home for the next 3 weeks, and then my wife will accompany him on the drive to Purdue, and the next journey.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • blobid0
  • blobid1

Kind of an up and down year for the kid.  Season ending (likely) series at Elon this weekend.  His ERA is up from last year, but control was much better, K's up, BB's down.  Not much offensive help and I think he pitched a little different knowing a run or two was likely going to be a major problem.  He had a couple really good games (5+ inning start at Texas A & M) and a 3.1 inning, 1H, 4K outing at Ohio State....and a few duds lol.  He's back to his summer team in a couple weeks with a PC that really had him dialed in last summer, so we'll see how it goes.  Still a longshot at making the league tourney, but with them being off and the teams behind them playing conference games, it's just gonna be sit back and watch the scores to see how it shakes out.  Worst part is they are hitting the ball as good as anyone the past couple weeks and could probably surprise a team or two if they make it in the tourney....I guess we'll now later in the week.

Two weekends left in the conference season and still battling for a Regional bid. Son was doing well in his freshman role, contributing to the team, but hit a bad patch with Coach. I'm told he was hitting too many home runs in BP which goes against his team role as outlined to him by the Coach.   

So coach took him off the travel roster and let that marinate for a few weeks. Son adjusted his swing, went back to hitting sharp liners and hard groundballs again, and coach has him travelling for the weekend. Lesson learned.

Best advice he got during his benching: "You being able to barrel shots is not important. Everyone knows you can. But that's not your job on this team.  Get on and create problems OR get 'em over. That's it for you. Do that enough and you'll get your chance to hit shots."

tres_arboles posted:

Two weekends left in the conference season and still battling for a Regional bid. Son was doing well in his freshman role, contributing to the team, but hit a bad patch with Coach. I'm told he was hitting too many home runs in BP which goes against his team role as outlined to him by the Coach.   

So coach took him off the travel roster and let that marinate for a few weeks. Son adjusted his swing, went back to hitting sharp liners and hard groundballs again, and coach has him travelling for the weekend. Lesson learned.

Best advice he got during his benching: "You being able to barrel shots is not important. Everyone knows you can. But that's not your job on this team.  Get on and create problems OR get 'em over. That's it for you. Do that enough and you'll get your chance to hit shots."

That may be the craziest thing I've ever heard.  Ok, if he is flying out all over the place in games, I can see it, but hitting too many HR's in BP??

tres_arboles posted:

Thanks for not taking the high road that the coach doesn't know what he is doing.  Sounds like the coach wants your son to do a specific job, and as mentioned, if you want to play you do what you are told to do.

Best of luck.

So here we go.....either 2 days left in the season or the conference tourney next week.  Son's team has a non-conference series this weekend, while the other 3 teams that they are battling for the last conference tourney spot are playing due to an odd number of teams in the league (Thanks Akron...)  It was a longshot for them to get in, but everything that needed to happen yesterday did....so there is still a shot.  If everyone here could throw up a big cheer for Western Michigan & Eastern Michigan today, it would be greatly appreciated    I'll update tomorrow............

Buckeye 2015 posted:

So here we go.....either 2 days left in the season or the conference tourney next week.  Son's team has a non-conference series this weekend, while the other 3 teams that they are battling for the last conference tourney spot are playing due to an odd number of teams in the league (Thanks Akron...)  It was a longshot for them to get in, but everything that needed to happen yesterday did....so there is still a shot.  If everyone here could throw up a big cheer for Western Michigan & Eastern Michigan today, it would be greatly appreciated    I'll update tomorrow............

I know that has to be extremely difficult for you to say/type  BUCKEYE !!!!    I'm one of you...

Good luck!

So we're down to the final day....and the kid's team still has hope. Going in to the weekend, they needed 8 games to go there way, so  far they are 4-4.   They need 4 more today (DH due to rain yesterday)   Crazy thing is that there may be more weather issues....and today is the last day no matter what...rainouts are good for us, though that's really not how they want to get in

My son's season ended Sunday night in the D3 South Regional championship game. His squad started off the Regionals with a loss, then won 4 straight to force the "if" game, but they just didn't have one more big game left in them. Son had a pretty good tournament, including a bottom of the 11th walk-off single. Needless to say he was bitterly disappointment that his team will not make the trip to Appleton.

His sophomore season got off to a rough start with a hamstring injury and he missed 14 games, but he finished the season 2nd on the team in AVG and HRs, and picked up a first team all-conference award. I'm extremely proud of the way he's worked through all kinds of adversity, and kept a great attitude through two pretty tough years of college baseball while maintaining the GPA requirements of his academic scholarship.
MidAtlanticDad posted:
My son's season ended Sunday night in the D3 South Regional championship game. His squad started off the Regionals with a loss, then won 4 straight to force the "if" game, but they just didn't have one more big game left in them. Son had a pretty good tournament, including a bottom of the 11th walk-off single. Needless to say he was bitterly disappointment that his team will not make the trip to Appleton.

His sophomore season got off to a rough start with a hamstring injury and he missed 14 games, but he finished the season 2nd on the team in AVG and HRs, and picked up a first team all-conference award. I'm extremely proud of the way he's worked through all kinds of adversity, and kept a great attitude through two pretty tough years of college baseball while maintaining the GPA requirements of his academic scholarship.

That's great!  Sounds like a really fun year!

Buckeye 2015 posted:

So we're down to the final day....and the kid's team still has hope. Going in to the weekend, they needed 8 games to go there way, so  far they are 4-4.   They need 4 more today (DH due to rain yesterday)   Crazy thing is that there may be more weather issues....and today is the last day no matter what...rainouts are good for us, though that's really not how they want to get in

And?

I fully expected my son's baseball career to end last week, but his team surprised everyone except themselves and won their conference tournament. 

Son did not pitch in the conference tournament. He was scheduled to be first out of the pen in the winners bracket final, but his team built a big lead early and the starter cruised to a CG shutout. Then he was scheduled to pitch in the "if necessary" game, which proved to be not necessary.

The five guys who did pitch in the tourney gave up only 3 runs in 28 innings over three games.  I'm eager to see if they can match that effort against the big boys this weekend.

It's the team's second-ever NCAA appearance and first since joining its current conference. 

Pretty exciting stuff. And a great way to close out his playing days. 

Son is three classes shy of his masters degree. He has accepted a job in his field at  his school that will allow him to finish his masters and help with the baseball team's conditioning program.  

Swampboy posted:

I fully expected my son's baseball career to end last week, but his team surprised everyone except themselves and won their conference tournament. 

Son did not pitch in the conference tournament. He was scheduled to be first out of the pen in the winners bracket final, but his team built a big lead early and the starter cruised to a CG shutout. Then he was scheduled to pitch in the "if necessary" game, which proved to be not necessary.

The five guys who did pitch in the tourney gave up only 3 runs in 28 innings over three games.  I'm eager to see if they can match that effort against the big boys this weekend.

It's the team's second-ever NCAA appearance and first since joining its current conference. 

Pretty exciting stuff. And a great way to close out his playing days. 

Son is three classes shy of his masters degree. He has accepted a job in his field at  his school that will allow him to finish his masters and help with the baseball team's conditioning program.  

UMBC beat out the favorite, Maine.

Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the other team.

Whats hard to believe is that it seems like yesterday that he headed off to school.

Now I am feelin' old!

Best of luck, enjoy!

As TPM stated son is one of those pitchers that has started to falter.  I think he hit the wall so to speak with about four weeks left.  Man it is a long season compared to HS days.  Lots of ups and downs for almost all the pitchers on our team.  Son started first half of season with ERA below 2.0 and picked up 3 wins out of pen but now after one particularly rough outing and some other tough ones ERA is going to likely end season above 5.00.  The life of a reliever I guess.

All in all very proud of the first season he has had.  He traveled to every game.  Pitched almost 30 innings for a 40 win team, struck out more than one per inning, and will get to participate in a regional this weekend.   He now knows who he is and how he needs to get batters out.  Added 4-5 mph to his sitting velocity and where he tops out at.  Tasted enough success that he is excited for whatever happens in the post season or next year.  Got roughed up enough to know he must get better to be able to step up and replace some of the guys getting drafted or graduating.

Folks talk all the time about how much their sons change when off to college.  He is becoming a young man and is lucky to be with coaches who care about him as a person first and player second.  Most importantly he took care of business in classroom with all A's and one B in the two semesters.  

His mother and I were welcomed by the older players' parents.  Learned a lot about the game at the college level.  It's tough for the players and I think at times even tougher on us parents.  Made some really good friends and came to realize even the successful pitchers and players struggle at points in the season.  I look forward to see how far this group of boys can make it in this postseason as well as the next three years.  Man they fly by even faster now.

Everything broke perfectly last week. They clinched the 2 seed and first round bye on the last game of the regular season. The 4 seed knocked off the 1 seed. The 3 seed had to contend with some rain-caused stops and had a long first day before they played us. And the team that lost game one got hot and eliminated the 1, 3, and 4 seed in the losers bracket, showing up on championship day having played two more games than my son's team. Their ace, who had pitched 8 strong innings in game 1, came back on three days rest and pitched like a man in the championship game, but they were spent. Gotta hand it to them for clawing all the way back from their opening loss. 

Fun start to the summer season last night.  Son started on the mound in an inter-squad scrimmage....3 innings, 1 hit, 3 K's (would have been a few more I think, but catcher's were calling balls/strikes lol)   Best part was he got to hit.  First pitch he's seen from a real pitcher since this time last year he absolutely smoked a single to the left fielder.  Struck out looking on a couple curve balls the next at bat   then doubled off the base of the fence his next AB.  High hop bouncer for IF single the last time up.  3-4 after not having seen any pitching (except me and my 60+ mph heater) in almost a year made him pretty happy.  It was actually really strange seeing him on the bases after so long.  There's  a chance he gets to do some hitting next fall when he is back to school, but I guess we won't know for sure until he gets back. 

Son's first game tomorrow... as a coach.  

Moved in Saturday afternoon, team practice and meetings Sunday, works a camp this morning, last practice this afternoon, then game 1 tomorrow.  I guess no time for him to dwell on being done playing.  

In one of his texts yesterday, he says he is in charge of keeping a couple dozen guys in the dorms in line.  Three weeks ago, he was one of the guys being kept in line.  Hahahahaha...  parent payback begins.  This is gonna be better than being a grandpa.

Ryan is back from college waiting to leave later this week for his new destination.  A local, elite travel organization asked some of the local kids that are back from college to hastily throw a group together so they could have a couple of double-headers this weekend.

Ryan told his teammate yesterday that it was going to be his last AB, so they should tape it, because he was going to hit a HR, and celebrate it like Jose Bautista.  (He was just having fun, because he's a PO now, and he doesn't get to hit anymore.) 

Attachments

Videos (1)
IMG_1143

Well, losing sucks. Hats off to Vandy. Now it's on to the Cape and Hyannis. While i am a bit sad seeing the boy's season end, the next chapter begins and it's what have you done for me lately....again. He's growing up, time is slipping away and i can't slow it down. 

27 appearances, 3-1, 4 svs, 35 ip, 29 H, 12 R, 10 Er, 14BB, 50Ks, 129 AB, .225 avg, 5 db , 2 Hrs

3 runs last night moved his ERA up point to 2.57

I hope all the boys still playing make it to Omaha. Will def be watching. 

I'd like to leave a few pics of great memories this season.

Barnes, Gilliam, Crawford and Jolly- 23 Ks Clemson Game Record vs Elon

23 Ks Clemson Record

Reaction after striking out Destino : Credit to Four Seam Images

Reaction

#ClemsonFamily

Go Tigers!

HaHa.  Yea we are ready I think.  We have been playing pretty good as of late.  I like our chances as long as we keep pitching and swinging the bats the way we have the last 3 weeks or so.  With Andy back at the box it should be crazy!!  The crowds last weekend for the regionals was pretty amazing.  Just keeping my fingers crossed that we stay hot.

Who's on First? posted:

Good luck to everyone still playing.  It was a tough finish for us. Still a really good year.   Lot of players coming back next year.  Now he's off to California to play for the Conejo Owls.  Hopefully we'll get to make it out there for a few games. 

Hahaha... Conejo Oaks maybe?  Let me know if you plan a trip and you are not familiar... a couple of the teams in my neck of the woods and would make for great places to spend some time.

Congrats on the year.

cabbagedad posted:
Who's on First? posted:

Good luck to everyone still playing.  It was a tough finish for us. Still a really good year.   Lot of players coming back next year.  Now he's off to California to play for the Conejo Owls.  Hopefully we'll get to make it out there for a few games. 

Hahaha... Conejo Oaks maybe?  Let me know if you plan a trip and you are not familiar... a couple of the teams in my neck of the woods and would make for great places to spend some time.

Congrats on the year.

Oops.    I knew that...  I have no idea why I typed in "Owls".  Hope I didn't O..ffend.  (Pretty in Pink"").  I will definitely reach out.  Thanks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.