Skip to main content

my 2018 son's team is playing in game 1 of round 4 (TX regional semi finals) tonight...currently ranked @#2 in state.

I've been to multiple playoff games in the past few years, but my kid wasn't playing in them and I know it's high school ball, but the playoffs are more intense when it's your kid.  Hoping they keep rolling...pretty talented bunch of kids.

If it plays out right, we'll meet up with GO44DAD's kid in the Regional Finals...pulling for them too...at least this week.

Just starting our tournament. Single elimination over 4 classes. We have been ranked in the top 10 of 3A all season so there are expectations.  On paper sectionals should be easy. The team that won them last year returned all their starters but have lost a lot of games this year. That's a little worrisome because you never know when they might "return to form". If we make it to regionals it becomes somewhat more difficult. Of the four teams (if all goes as expected) there will be #'s 2, 3, and 7.

Last Saturday we played a doubleheader with the kid on the mound the first game. Struck out 7 of first 8 then called the coach to the mound with pain in his bicep. Between then and Monday the coach must have called half a dozen times. Had a ortho come to the school Monday to check him out. He could not reproduce the pain and had no real explanation as to what it could be. Kid threw bullpen Wednesday with no pain, which is great because without him we'd be in trouble. We have two really good pitchers, him being one of them. The way it's set up you could win out with two pitchers and a decent reliever, no way with just one.

This is the kids last hurrah then its on to Nebraska so fingers crossed.

SomeBaseballDad posted:

Just starting our tournament. Single elimination over 4 classes. We have been ranked in the top 10 of 3A all season so there are expectations.  On paper sectionals should be easy. The team that won them last year returned all their starters but have lost a lot of games this year. That's a little worrisome because you never know when they might "return to form". If we make it to regionals it becomes somewhat more difficult. Of the four teams (if all goes as expected) there will be #'s 2, 3, and 7.

Last Saturday we played a doubleheader with the kid on the mound the first game. Struck out 7 of first 8 then called the coach to the mound with pain in his bicep. Between then and Monday the coach must have called half a dozen times. Had a ortho come to the school Monday to check him out. He could not reproduce the pain and had no real explanation as to what it could be. Kid threw bullpen Wednesday with no pain, which is great because without him we'd be in trouble. We have two really good pitchers, him being one of them. The way it's set up you could win out with two pitchers and a decent reliever, no way with just one.

Glad the kid is good to go.  Good luck, SomeDad!

MomLW posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:

Thank you.

#2 team and one we would face in regional got knocked off. They just need to take care of biz.

SomeBaseballDad posted:
MomLW posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:

Thank you.

#2 team and one we would face in regional got knocked off. They just need to take care of biz.

So we lost first game of sectionals 3-2 in 9. 19-6 lost to 5-15. We hit the ball all game long 1-9. Might have left 15+ people on base. Left bases loaded twice. Had bases loaded a couple of times with one out and got one run out of it. Got to the 6th tied 2-2 and coach panicked and put the kid in with no warmup. He threw about 20 pitches and his arm started hurting again.  Had to go to our #3 and he didn't get it done.

Got to admit this one hurt, bad. We had a good team and two strong pitchers. The kid has been unhittable this season. Has some outstanding numbers on the mound. 10 years he's been pitching and never has he had an arm issue. Until now, his sr year with the best team he's had when it really counted. Othro, school trainer, personal trainer, coaches, all insist his arm shouldn't hurt where it does. Guess it's back to the doc for an MRI. Really, really disappointing but that's the way it goes I guess. On to collage.

Well, 2018_son is still in it.  8 teams left. 

The Elite 8 of 6A Baseball :

Martin
Carroll
Round Rock
Hendrickson
Travis
Deer Park
Reagan
Churchill

The kids seemed to really want it this weekend.  We had trouble game 1, the bats fell silent and had a tough time pitching and we got run ruled...11 - 0, but came back and won game 2 (5-0) and then run ruled them in game 3 (11-0).  So we're moving on to the Regional Finals.

Here are two shots of 2018_son from dallasnews.com article

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Pick off attempt
  • Slide at third
2018_Dad posted:

Well, 2018_son is still in it.  8 teams left. 

The Elite 8 of 6A Baseball :

Martin
Carroll
Round Rock
Hendrickson
Travis
Deer Park
Reagan
Churchill

The kids seemed to really want it this weekend.  We had trouble game 1, the bats fell silent and had a tough time pitching and we got run ruled...11 - 0, but came back and won game 2 (5-0) and then run ruled them in game 3 (11-0).  So we're moving on to the Regional Finals.

Here are two shots of 2018_son from dallasnews.com article

Nice - congrats!

So I'm not really late with this. We play summer baseball and our season ended last night in second round of substate. It's the first time in seven years we won ANY substate games, so that was a big step. Also won the conference and went 31-9 overall with a team that graduated only three starters.

My son pitched 60 innings, struck out 65 and gave up 4 earned runs all season for an ERA of .47. He also came in second in the conference in being hit by pitches with 11. He says "mom, I don't think people like me very much!"

It was a great season and I'm sitting at my desk thinking that we should be playing in the third round to go to state tonight, but we aren't, and I hurt. The kids are more productive. They apparently took pictures of the scoreboard after losing last night and have posted them on their phones as screen savers, then went as a team to work out this morning.

Can't WAIT until next year!

Iowamom23 posted:

So I'm not really late with this. We play summer baseball and our season ended last night in second round of substate. It's the first time in seven years we won ANY substate games, so that was a big step. Also won the conference and went 31-9 overall with a team that graduated only three starters.

My son pitched 60 innings, struck out 65 and gave up 4 earned runs all season for an ERA of .47. He also came in second in the conference in being hit by pitches with 11. He says "mom, I don't think people like me very much!"

It was a great season and I'm sitting at my desk thinking that we should be playing in the third round to go to state tonight, but we aren't, and I hurt. The kids are more productive. They apparently took pictures of the scoreboard after losing last night and have posted them on their phones as screen savers, then went as a team to work out this morning.

Can't WAIT until next year!

Wow, great in so many ways and congrats to him.  What really strikes me is the kids immediately taking shots at the scoreboard and getting busy with efforts toward next year.  That is quite a rare mindset for a collective group of HS players at that point in time.  That is the type of mindset that belongs to a group that is destined to do something special.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.