Skip to main content

Its tryout week here in IL. Good Luck to all who have sons trying out for baseball.  In fact, good luck to all who have children trying out for any sport.  

Bittersweet for me as its my sons last year playing (he does not want to play in college).  I'm looking forward to enjoying every minute of it.  I'm even working on my work travel schedule to minimize my out of town trips to make sure I am around for as many games as possible.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Amen about getting outside! Our V/S was this morning, freshmen tonight.  Our program is now bumped up to 4A this year with the district re-configuration after a school closing.  Looking forward to facing some new teams and getting out of the dreaded regional every year with JCA and Lemont...but will probably be seeing the Plainfields, Provi, LWC, LWE. What a great time of year. 

joes87 posted:

Its tryout week here in IL. Good Luck to all who have sons trying out for baseball.  In fact, good luck to all who have children trying out for any sport.  

Bittersweet for me as its my sons last year playing (he does not want to play in college).  I'm looking forward to enjoying every minute of it.  I'm even working on my work travel schedule to minimize my out of town trips to make sure I am around for as many games as possible.  

I am in the same situation.  So I understand.  Although now my son is saying if he does well pitching for the high school this spring, he "may" consider being a walk-on pitcher and see if that works out.  But I am not holding my breath.  He needs to make this decision and be comfortable.  Best wishes to your son on his last season in high school. 

joes87 posted:

I have no choice but to miss 5-6 games this season due to business travel. Nuts! Some scheduling genious decided 4 AWAY games the first week of the season was a good idea. I'll miss three of them due to a trip to NOLA.

Batty67 posted:
joes87 posted:

I have no choice but to miss 5-6 games this season due to business travel. Nuts! Some scheduling genious decided 4 AWAY games the first week of the season was a good idea. I'll miss three of them due to a trip to NOLA.

At least the trip I need to take is to the Ritz-Caralton in Georgia.  Its some type of resort on a lake for some business meetings.  I've been able to cut my time from 4 days down to 2.  Most folks are trying to figure out how to lengthen their trip, and I am trying to get mine as short as possible.

Its cut day at our HS.  Im still a little apprehensive even though I know my son is safe.  The coach called him down yesterday and all but told  him so.  Also was asking his opinion on when to hold practices this weekend (there is a school event for the SRs).  In addition he was talking to him about my sons opinion on a couple of players (sophs and Jrs) the coach was not overly familiar with.  Pretty good signs to me.

I pretty much never get nervous about these things but today I had a moment of doubt.

Yesterday was son's final practice before Freshman cuts...  He will find out after school if he made it or not--name on the list you practice, not on the list--make a phone call for an early ride home.  Lots of great athletes trying out this year, so there will be a handful of solid players cut, just do to the numbers.  If I'm nervous, can only imagine how my son is doing waiting these last few hours... 

DALEX posted:

Yesterday was son's final practice before Freshman cuts...  He will find out after school if he made it or not--name on the list you practice, not on the list--make a phone call for an early ride home.  Lots of great athletes trying out this year, so there will be a handful of solid players cut, just do to the numbers.  If I'm nervous, can only imagine how my son is doing waiting these last few hours... 

Fingers crossed!

DALEX posted:

Actually coaches may adjust the number of players they keep on the freshmen squad. Our school the freshmen squad is usually 15. However, when the coaches see many good athletes, they can keep up to 20. 

Our coach's favorite story: a boy at freshmen tryout seemed completely uncoordinated but he's tall and have potential. So the coach kept him and groomed him for pitcher. Three years later, he's the #1 pitcher for HS and First Team all County; now he's the #1 pitcher in a D3 powerhouse.

A couple of years ago it snowed a lot in MA. A lot of teams had five conference games the last week of the season. When a team is accustomed to having two and sometimes three conference games per week they find out a lot about their pitching depth in these extreme situations.

There a snow belt from PA to ME today that's getting 18-24 inches of snow.

RJM posted:

A couple of years ago it snowed a lot in MA. A lot of teams had five conference games the last week of the season. When a team is accustomed to having two and sometimes three conference games per week they find out a lot about their pitching depth in these extreme situations.

There a snow belt from PA to ME today that's getting 18-24 inches of snow.

We are one of those that were in that snow belt.  Luckily it was closer to 12 than 24 but there is no real temps above 40's slated for the next 10 days.  Fields going to take some time to dry.  Missed one game this week and 3 next week are more likely cancelled.  

The anticipation is killing me!

Good luck to all the freshman/parents who are trying out.  I Also have a 2020 that tried out.  We were confident given his experience but i worried until he got the word all was good...

Bogeyorpar posted:
DALEX posted:

Actually coaches may adjust the number of players they keep on the freshmen squad. Our school the freshmen squad is usually 15. However, when the coaches see many good athletes, they can keep up to 20. 

Our coach's favorite story: a boy at freshmen tryout seemed completely uncoordinated but he's tall and have potential. So the coach kept him and groomed him for pitcher. Three years later, he's the #1 pitcher for HS and First Team all County; now he's the #1 pitcher in a D3 powerhouse.

Good news, son made the Freshman team!  Freshman team is carrying 17, includes 2 POs.  Additionally 7 frosh were moved to JV and 1 will be Varsity(a first at our school). At parent meeting last night, heard the freshman coach say that this is the strongest class he's seen in his 25 years of coaching.  Now my son needs to work his butt off to earn playing time!  He's one of two players who came up through rec league ball.  My son hopes to start in CF and the other rec player is competing very well for SS.

I knew there would be at least a few good players who would not make the cut... Unfortunately, it happened to a great kid my son played with for several years. This kid has a MLB pedigree, with a grandfather who played a few seasons in the majors.  Really hoping this particular kid doesn't give up on ball completely, he's just one of those kids who is a few years behind in the maturation process--fundamentally he's sound and a great attitude.

DALEX posted:

I knew there would be at least a few good players who would not make the cut... Unfortunately, it happened to a great kid my son played with for several years. This kid has a MLB pedigree, with a grandfather who played a few seasons in the majors.  Really hoping this particular kid doesn't give up on ball completely, he's just one of those kids who is a few years behind in the maturation process--fundamentally he's sound and a great attitude.

Take it from a dad whose freshman is only 5'7 and 130 lbs  wet.  We walked away from a travel club that was also the "All Star team" for a cap ripken league.  We stopped playing by their daddy ball rules and they kept saying how small T was.  They went to the world series after we left.  Coaches had zero respect for him! Yet every team we have played for since made him the hands down starter.    He is a catcher and works tirelessly.  

If you ever get to talk to that player...Tell him to keep working on the SKILLS.  Work on his technique.  Once he gets the size, and he has the technique down, he is going to get NOTICED.    Ive had many coaches come up to T and compliment him on his technique.  Now that he is lifting and maturing, all that patience is going to pay off.  

A friend of mine was a damn good pitcher out of MD and was drafted by the Marlins.  His arm went in college.  A good friend of his wasn't the most gifted of players but worked his butt off.  Said he wasnt the most gifted of athletes but worked harder than anyone he knew.  Ended up being the MVP of 2006 Cardinals world series team (David Eckstein).   I do believe you have to have talent but hard work can add up and cover a lot of talent.

IMO

Last edited by Kevin A

Gents, will be making a move from Virginia to Scott AFB in the next few months.  My son is a DIII player in the ODAC...any insight to summer collegiate leagues in the St. Louis area that we can have him start working through his coaches?  Yes, I will do the typical Google search etc., but wanted to ping the IL board for any insight as well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.