Skip to main content

Do you have your short stop cover bag when lefty is at plate and 2nd when a righty during a steal?

I have just been having my 2nd baseman cover since he is the more athletic kid but I like the shortstop cause it is his glove side and doesnt have to backhand then tag like a second baseman would.  Thoughts?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Generally it's based on:  Where do you think they're going to hit the ball?

However, occasionally,  when I have a gifted tagger, I'll have him cover on a steal even though it violates that rule.

IMHO,  tagging is a hugely underappreciated part of the game.

It was cool in the WS when the TV guys highlighted the tagging ability of the Cub's second baseman.

Last edited by freddy77

Good insightful comments by both Freddy and Bob.  We look at the P/Hitter matchup and determine likelihood of which side the ball will be hit and have the other MIF cover.  Typically, most balls at HS level will be pulled unless a power pitcher or, as Bob says, hitter has inside-out swing, or hitter is otherwise overmatched.  Pretty traditional. 

I'm somewhat surprised that your 2b is more athletic than your SS.  That is not usually the case.

gunner34 posted:

so annoying when 2nd base goes to cover on a steal and the batter hits a routine grounder right to where the 2nd baseman was standing before.  

Only thing more annoying is when your batter hits a screamer up the middle but you had a hit-and-run on so one of the MIFs is at the bag for a tag and a base knock turns into a double play.

freddy77 posted:

Generally it's based on:  Where do you think they're going to hit the ball?

However, occasionally,  when I have a gifted tagger, I'll have him cover on a steal even though it violates that rule.

IMHO,  tagging is a hugely underappreciated part of the game.

It was cool in the WS when the TV guys highlighted the tagging ability of the Cub's second baseman.

That was AWESOME.  I have never seen tags applied so quickly.  Our group of players need A LOT of work on their tagging ability.  

Number one rule in regards to tags, "Let the ball travel!"  It's much faster than your hand.  Nothing drives me more crazy than a player reaching two feet in front of the bag for a perfectly thrown ball only to try and bring it back to the bag for the tag.

Number two, "Trying to tag the runner!"  You know where he is going.  Don't worry about the runner, get that glove down in front of the bag.   

Nathan posted:

Do you have your short stop cover bag when lefty is at plate and 2nd when a righty during a steal?

I have just been having my 2nd baseman cover since he is the more athletic kid but I like the shortstop cause it is his glove side and doesnt have to backhand then tag like a second baseman would.  Thoughts?

Unrelated question: your 2nd baseman is more athletic than your shortstop? Why don't you play him at shortstop?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.