Skip to main content

Son handles his own business but I like to think I have some friends to network with here so I offered to post this  ...

College graduating senior is actively pursuing a Summer Collegiate Asst. Coach position in an established league for this coming summer.  

Successful playing career at Calif JC, D2 and NAIA levels, college coaching is his career path, best fit would be Outfield/Hitting/Base coach, great mind for game management, ability to recognize and teach fine points of mechanics and approach, ability to instruct/relate with college level players, great BP thrower, great dugout presence.  No geographic restrictions for right opportunity.  

This is his passion.  He will be an asset.  His college coaches will highly recommend.

He has begun actively searching but I know how strong connections are here - would be dumb not to explore.  Any leads greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by cabbagedad
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks Bob!  I'll let him know to check those out.  Please let me know if there is someone he should contact aside from the listed office personnel.

Goose, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes    He is looking at college coaching as a career path and recognizes that summer collegiate coaching is a common resume check.  He is also seeing the importance of networking and building contacts.  And, he loves doing it. 

A few years ago, the local summer collegiate program he planned on playing with folded.  It left several of the local college talent pool without a place to play.  He and a friend actually put together a team to fill the void.  They were player/coaches and handled all logistics, player personnel, equipment, etc.  It wasn't a full blown organization, of course, but they did an admirable job.  

Reviving this thread as son is still seeking a coaching spot for this summer...  he is searching hard, thought I'd take one more crack here in case something has come up since my OP...

"College graduating senior is actively pursuing a Summer Collegiate Asst. Coach position in an established league for this coming summer.  

Successful playing career at Calif JC, D2 and NAIA levels, college coaching is his career path, best fit would be Outfield/Hitting/Base coach, great mind for game management, ability to recognize and teach fine points of mechanics and approach, ability to instruct/relate with college level players, great BP thrower, great dugout presence.  No geographic restrictions for right opportunity.  

This is his passion.  He will be an asset.  His college coaches will highly recommend.

He has begun actively searching but I know how strong connections are here - would be dumb not to explore.  Any leads greatly appreciated!!"

I would think most coaching positions would be filled for this summer.  Many start out in coaching as an assistant at their former college.  It can be difficult financially, but not many decent paying jobs in the beginning.  Probably the quickest way to move up the ladder is to show ability to recruit.  Those that prove they can recruit are in demand.

He should make a short list of the most influential people he knows in baseball.  Those that know him are the ones that can help him the most.  Unfortunately, this is another Who You Know thing.

The topic of minor league players not being compensated fairly was popular here.  Starting out in coaching can be much the same way, just not talked about as much.

PGStaff posted:

I would think most coaching positions would be filled for this summer.  Many start out in coaching as an assistant at their former college.  It can be difficult financially, but not many decent paying jobs in the beginning.  Probably the quickest way to move up the ladder is to show ability to recruit.  Those that prove they can recruit are in demand.

He should make a short list of the most influential people he knows in baseball.  Those that know him are the ones that can help him the most.  Unfortunately, this is another Who You Know thing.

The topic of minor league players not being compensated fairly was popular here.  Starting out in coaching can be much the same way, just not talked about as much.

There are summer jobs posted on abca.org. 

But you are 100% correct in your statement. Its more who you know to get the opportunity, then how you use what you know. And if you prove to be an excellent  recruiter, you are money in the bank to the program. It takes a long time to learn to recruit and identify the talent the is right for your particular program.

FWIW, many former D1 players begin as volunteer assistants, dont forget D1 only allows 3 paid coaching positions. No benefits. Most receive stipends from camps. It is the same for other programs. 

Baseball operations has become very popular job these days for those who wish to remain in college sports.

People would be shocked to know how little assistant college coaches get paid.

PGStaff posted:

TPM,

That is some good stuff.

Guess it could be said that in some ways a young coach working to be a head coach at the highest level is a lot like a young professional player working his way up the ladder.  Unfortunately there is no big signing bonus for the better young coaching prospects.

Exactly,  everyone has to start somewhere in this business. Son works 7 days a week. 

Thanks again, all.  He has been scouring ABCA daily and using his college coach connections but it's tough when those coaches are fully engaged in their seasons.  We know how much of a "who ya know" and a timing thing it is and that's why I thought I'd reach out to my HSBBW family just in case.  He is aware of the long tough road and low pay in making his way to an eventual college HC spot somewhere, but at this point, stands determined.  He is also aware that the position he is seeking generally requires previous college coaching experience and that's who fills most of the slots.  He is determined, though.  He will likely be an assistant at his current school next year when he returns to finish up some classwork and is looking for that opportunity for experience with an established summer team between now and then.

He has dug up a couple leads very recently that have turned into phone interviews and is hopeful to have a decision to make some time this week.  BOF, he has also been checking the league websites to see which organizations don't have assistants listed yet.  I will definitely throw out the heads up on Ventura, thanks!

Ironhorse, I'm pretty sure that would be a solid experience for him... he's trying to get on the college track as quickly as reasonably possible, partially because he sees what we go thru 

Yes, TPM, he definitely expects to work 7 days a week... will need to pick up some menial work to put a few extra bucks in the pocket when not fulfilling team obligations.  He's pretty much been doing that off and on most of his college career.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.