Skip to main content

2forU posted:

WS loses in 8 to Patriot. WS first three batters in the bottom of 7 were completely unprepared to attack the baseball, two batters strike out looking and watched other meatballs, the other a very weak swing ground out to 2b. WS flat and unprepared. Patriot lead off walk (controversy over non called strikes from the WS perspective). Bunt,3b fielding and throwing error, runners now on first and third.  One run scored and that was all they needed.  Patriot came out energized and it showed.  Disappointed in WS - again - way too much talent not being used correctly.  Watching pitches, clearly strikes, blaming the Umpires, and then complaining about the called balls and strikes. Coaches throwing baseballs at the umpire after the loss  - good grief.

As a Spartan parent who watched from behind the backstop last Wednesday (and after a few days to get over the disappointment) this post cries out for  some perspective...  IMO WS was no less "prepared to attack the baseball" (whatever that is supposed to mean) than Patriot was.  The difference --clearly obvious to both Patriot and West Springfield fans near home plate-- was the blatant absence of a consistent strike zone-- The P pitcher ( who is very talented, and did NOT need any special treatment)  was given strikes at the shoulders, at the shins, and on both edges.. . certainly no "meatballs" from my vantage point.

If that was the way the game was to be called I'd have no complaint, but the difference when WS took the field was staggering...P took the SAME approach at the plate that WS did--make the pitcher work, but they got the calls .--WS's Lyons threw no fewer than three table-drop curves right down the middle in that critical top of the 8th inning that were not called; one should have been strike 3, and would have changed the entire inning.

The bottom of the 8th was a complete joke--the plate ump made sure who was going to win, and I didn't see any balls thrown at him-- he was too busy beating a hasty retreat for the parking lot for the hot date or whatever he had planned for the evening....  between this incompetence, and the blown pickoff call the night before -- it's a criminal shame for both teams that the level of umpiring is so pathetically beneath the level of play at this time of the season.

I will agree though,  that this WS coaching staff consistently accomplishes less with more...the 2016 and 2017 senior classes were loaded, but as teams, they did not approach what their potential indicated.  

Congrats to the Pioneers. 

WS was loaded? like the '09 and '10 teams loaded? yeah not even close. they were a good team that played above their potential. they won 10 straight, capturing a conference championship (in the toughest conference) along the way, before falling to a more talented Patriot team which WS had on the ropes with a 3-1 lead in the 6th inning. they finished with an 18-6 record but they didn't even approach their potential? was their potential 26-0 with a state title? give me a break, WS had a great year so just be proud of what they accomplished. If you had seen the rest of the teams play this season you would know that Of the 4 conference winners, Patriot, Oakton and Madison were all clearly more talented and WS still had a punchers chance in the end. credit to Coach Olms and the boys on a fine season. it didn't end the way they would have liked but hats off for a good run. 

WS was loaded? like the '09 and '10 teams loaded? yeah not even close. they were a good team that played above their potential. they won 10 straight, capturing a conference championship (in the toughest conference) along the way, before falling to a more talented Patriot team which WS had on the ropes with a 3-1 lead in the 6th inning. they finished with an 18-6 record but they didn't even approach their potential? was their potential 26-0 with a state title? give me a break, WS had a great year so just be proud of what they accomplished. If you had seen the rest of the teams play this season you would know that Of the 4 conference winners, Patriot, Oakton and Madison were all clearly more talented and WS still had a punchers chance in the end. credit to Coach Olms and the boys on a fine season. it didn't end the way they would have liked but hats off for a good run. 

REPLY:

I would totally agree, i thought you were spot on ROLLAPAIRJR

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.