Skip to main content

What is the average practices per week for an aau or club team? (12u)  Our community travel team plays/practices 6 days a weeks, sometimes 7 - but the training isn't the best, nor is the competition.  A local aau team, practices 1x per week in the winter months, then 2x a week starting in April not including games (3-6 games per tourney).  Competition is much better on the aau, as is the coaching, plus no daddy ball.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The second scenario is more common in my experience here where temperatures, snow and winter sports limit athlete participation . 

Once per week in the winter months to begin to build team cohesion and maintain contact with the sport.  None during the school season when most players are playing or practicing 6 days a week, then 3 times per week as soon as the school season is completed until the first tournament and then 1 to 2 times per week once the tournament season begins.  That is usually dictated by how large the roster is, how many PO's you have and y games have been played in a particular tournament

I am sure there are lots of other scenarios that teams use but this has been fairly consistent through five boys and lots of club teams

In season kids should practice 6 days a week.  Most teams don't practice that much though.  Kids should be getting the reps on their own, but only if they are self motivated to do so.  It doesn't do any good to have Mom & Dad make them do it.

A lot of travel teams barely practice in season.  Some practice once a week,some practice 2-4 times a week, it just really depends.

in my opinion that ratio of games to practice should weigh heavily towards more practices than games, but it is usually the opposite in the USA.  That is a big difference between places like the Dominican Republic and the USA in my opinion.

Dadof3 posted:

What is the average practices per week for an aau or club team? (12u)  Our community travel team plays/practices 6 days a weeks, sometimes 7 - but the training isn't the best, nor is the competition.  A local aau team, practices 1x per week in the winter months, then 2x a week starting in April not including games (3-6 games per tourney).  Competition is much better on the aau, as is the coaching, plus no daddy ball.

Back when my son was on a travel team (was registered as with the AAU) they practiced 1-2x per week.  Normally played a double header or round robin on most weekends with a tournament once a month.  This was about 10-11 years ago.  

Only HS (Varsity/JV) and college had practice every day except Sunday.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.