Skip to main content

My 2019 RHP/OF received a generic email inviting him to the "Round 1" state tryout for the USA Baseball National Team Identification Series ("NTIS") for $150.00.  We don't know anyone at USA Baseball.  On their website I found the 2016 roster for the 17U squad and crosschecked a handful of the kids against the PG site - all are studs but basically none were from New England (where we live). Anyone have any experience with this? Any colleges attend these tryouts in June/July? $150 seems like a lot for a tryout. Also, we're cautiously optimistic he'll receive an invite to the Area Code tryout in June. While I have no expectation that he'll make the AC cut, I'd rather he get college exposure there for free than perhaps at the NTIS tryout for the fee. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Lots already posted in this forum  Search NTIS and you'll read plenty of history.

But in a nutshell, you'll find opinions from "best baseball experience ever" to "complete waste of money".

As long as you go in with eyes wide open and realize that most of the final rosters are predetermined, and your expectation doesn't go beyond playing at various tryouts and possibly Cary for the cost of admission, then you'll be fine.

As for college scouts, I've not heard of any scouts attending any of the regional events.  Been several years since he was at NTIS in Cary, but even there, no scouts.

Last edited by Nuke83

Totally not necessary, but son did have fun.  He didn't get to Cary, but he got to the penultimate series several states away, and met a ton of great players at each event.  However, son did this at age 14, I think, and not for recruiting purposes. 

Interestingly, we paid for like 3 events as son moved on through the ranks.  His roommate his freshman year in college went straight to "go"....or Cary, NC....that same summer without all the hoop-la and money.  Neither made the USA team.

I took a day off from work and drove an hour to take my 2023 thinking it would be a good experience.  There were 3 or 4 other players there and the talent level was less than stellar. However, the combine was run well and we got some good feedback.

When they reached out to let me know that he made it to the next round (Another $150), we passed.  I just did not see the value for a kid his age.  Maybe it is better for the older kids?

Lu 57,

Wait you took a 2023 graduate to a showcase? The kid isn't fully developed yet let him grow and become a better player before you do stuff like that. You don't want people seeing him now and thinking well he ain't very good, you want them to notice him when he is a junior or senior. I would save your money and wait a few years. Nobody is ever gonna care about someone that young, just saying.

My son made it to Cary at 14U.   The organization that ran the Ohio Valley region at the time was a joke, his team was awful, coaches were ridiculously incompetent (brought 4 kids from their travel program that were bad rec ball kids) and there was absolutely no college exposure whatsoever in Cary.  That being said, the event itself was nice....especially considering it was late October and it was 86-88 and sunny every day.  Some good baseball,  he had fun and it was a nice weekend trip away from the cold in Ohio.    15U and up was a different story down there.   There were ALOT of big time schools there....a friend of his was there at 15U and got a couple good contacts though there were quite a ways from us and never amounted to much.  If it's me, I'd risk the $150.....if you are interested in going to Cary in October if he gets the invite.....if not, it's probably a waste of money!

My son did not make it to Cary.  I believe he was qualifying at 15U? several (like 5) years ago.  Our experience:

There was a small attended "cattle call" event (where you paid a fee) to see if you qualified for the next stage. There were several of these around our state.

Then there was a large combine type state event (we paid a fee) to select the "state team" for each age division.  I had just read "Outliers" and my son had a January birthday, so I was excited that he was one of the older players in his group at the event....for once.

He made the state team, which then competed at a several day regional event against other states (where you paid another fee and hotel for 2 nights).  He performed very well, but didn't make it to the next step which was Cary.

We paid out 3 times....but the total was less than a week long camp we had done locally several years before.  The plusses:   He got measurables, a USA Baseball t-shirt that we paid for lol, a NTIS "regional" t-shirt which he completely wore out, and made lots of friends that he has played with and against in the years since, many at the college level. 

I will say, there was a tad bit of daddy ball, since the head coach of the state team had a pitcher on the team.  However, I look back on it as a good summer experience that didn't interfere with other tournaments or plans.

It is a buyer beware if you think your kid is going to Cary NC or going to get recruited.   This was only one small cog in the baseball wheel.

Thanks for sharing Keewart. My kid has been the driver for these tryouts and I am enjoying the ride. Despite my complaints, I do appreciate my not so little guy is using these events to motivate himself to get better... I spent a lot worse on dinners and I know the dad/son time on the drive there and back will be important memories I will take to the next life. 

keewart posted:

My son did not make it to Cary.  I believe he was qualifying at 15U? several (like 5) years ago.  Our experience:

There was a small attended "cattle call" event (where you paid a fee) to see if you qualified for the next stage. There were several of these around our state.

Then there was a large combine type state event (we paid a fee) to select the "state team" for each age division.  I had just read "Outliers" and my son had a January birthday, so I was excited that he was one of the older players in his group at the event....for once.

He made the state team, which then competed at a several day regional event against other states (where you paid another fee and hotel for 2 nights).  He performed very well, but didn't make it to the next step which was Cary.

We paid out 3 times....but the total was less than a week long camp we had done locally several years before.  The plusses:   He got measurables, a USA Baseball t-shirt that we paid for lol, a NTIS "regional" t-shirt which he completely wore out, and made lots of friends that he has played with and against in the years since, many at the college level. 

I will say, there was a tad bit of daddy ball, since the head coach of the state team had a pitcher on the team.  However, I look back on it as a good summer experience that didn't interfere with other tournaments or plans.

It is a buyer beware if you think your kid is going to Cary NC or going to get recruited.   This was only one small cog in the baseball wheel.

my son did make it Cary for 16u...but never had a chance to make the final team. I would echo the bolded comments here that we found it to be fun and a good experience. I don't regret it at all but I would never describe it as mandatory or of high importance.

New user - thanks to all for the incredible advice and stories on this board.  It's the first place I go for a reality check w/r/t my '22 catcher. 

We found out today that my '22 was asked to go to Cary with the 13u SoCal team (after the two rounds of tryouts).  Expensive to get there, and we had to tweak a vacation on the back end, but he could not be more excited about the experience.  And, thanks to the advice on these boards, that's the beginning and end of our family's expectations for Cary.  The SoCal program seemed pretty well organized, but I've heard a range of opinions about it from locals.  

I just went through this with my 2021. For our region it was pay $125 to tryout. First Round of the tryout was getting measurable, which was nice except they don't appear to post them they just called them out and he did not pay attention so we still don't have his measurables :-0).

He made the second round at no additional cost and they did a scrimmage at that one. Something like 8 or 10 innings. It was at the local university field so that was special for us.

As others have said he got to meet players from other teams in the area which is an added bonus.

He was asked to go to Cary and the uniform cost is $300 for 2 shirts, a fitted hat, and a special gift.?? I'm still discussing with him on if he should go since $300 seems excessive unless that "special gift" it amazing. Anyone here know what the gift was for players last year? 

Thanks

Catcher-in-the-Rye posted:

I just went through this with my 2021. For our region it was pay $125 to tryout. First Round of the tryout was getting measurable, which was nice except they don't appear to post them they just called them out and he did not pay attention so we still don't have his measurables :-0).

He made the second round at no additional cost and they did a scrimmage at that one. Something like 8 or 10 innings. It was at the local university field so that was special for us.

As others have said he got to meet players from other teams in the area which is an added bonus.

He was asked to go to Cary and the uniform cost is $300 for 2 shirts, a fitted hat, and a special gift.?? I'm still discussing with him on if he should go since $300 seems excessive unless that "special gift" it amazing. Anyone here know what the gift was for players last year? 

Thanks

The $300 is also probably covering the cost for the coaches travel expenses...but who knows.  I wouldn't base your decision on the gift....I'm assuming it's not going to be much lol.  Is your son 15U or 14U?   14U doesn't play in the main complex....15U does.  Your location says NW....so you've got a fairly substantial investment to get there....unless you're looking for a vacation to NC.  As I said early, a trip to NC was nice....and not all that expensive from OH, but unless you know your son has the potential to be seen/recruited by college coaches at this point, I'm not sure it's worth the expense you'll encounter coming from so far away.

One factor with my '22 is that he's put in a ton of work to get to this point.  Two years ago he was the guy who split time in RF on his rec all-star team.  Since then he's really applied himself and become a much better player (bigger, too).  My wife and I feel like we should honor his effort, even though it's expensive and a bit of a logistical mess.  Hopefully being around great players will be an added source of motivation for him.  

As an aside, his little sister is kind of the athlete in the family; she's been named to the USA Beach Volleyball team for 12u.  While my son is very supportive of his sister and they get along great, he's also very competitive.  We're sending her to the beach equivalent of Cary in late July, so....we're biting the bullet and sending him to NC.  

I'll agree that some of the kids are probably already "known" even before Cary happens, but there are definitely kids who make the team after showing well at Cary.  Keep in mind that the "teams" aren't selected at Cary.  If you do well, you'll be invited back for another tryout where the amount of attendees is much, much less.....I'm thinking it was 50 or 60 kids.  The team is selected after that.

JLC posted:

I think it is mostly a fundraiser for their USA Baseball travel expenses.  They already know before it starts, which kids will make the team, for the most part. JMO

I believe this to be 100% true.  Is it possible for a kid to go there and set the world on fire, of course, but for the most part, they know who will make the team.

Agree, you are on a team of 18 so maybe you get 1-2 ABs a game. Limited playing time due to volume. If u do not light up gun at 85 plus they are not remotely interested.  You get 8 swings in BP & if you do not leave yard they do not care. They run 30 & unless you are crazy fast they don't care. I would pass if I had it to do over.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.