Skip to main content

Even at HS level this could be an issue.  NFHS has clearly stated that it is the manager's responsibility to verify the equipment is compliant under the rules.   As an umpire we ask simply "are all your players legally and properly equipped?"   Coaches give an affirmative reply ... game on.  It is a shame that some players / parents cheat.  I can understand why ... look at the benefits vs the cost.  Possible 10's of thousands of dollars in scholarships ... 100's of thousands if MLB draft pick.  What are the chances of getting caught - slim.  I believe NY has a wood bat only law for HS level baseball.  I am not sure if this applies to college teams playing within their jurisdiction.  Maybe that was repealed with BBCOR changes.

NewUmpire posted:

Even at HS level this could be an issue.  NFHS has clearly stated that it is the manager's responsibility to verify the equipment is compliant under the rules.   As an umpire we ask simply "are all your players legally and properly equipped?"   Coaches give an affirmative reply ... game on.  It is a shame that some players / parents cheat.  I can understand why ... look at the benefits vs the cost.  Possible 10's of thousands of dollars in scholarships ... 100's of thousands if MLB draft pick.  What are the chances of getting caught - slim.  I believe NY has a wood bat only law for HS level baseball.  I am not sure if this applies to college teams playing within their jurisdiction.  Maybe that was repealed with BBCOR changes.

I believe it's just NYC schools.

RJM posted:
NewUmpire posted:

I believe it's just NYC schools.

That's correct, the rule applies to New York City schools - pretty sure its public and private. Does not apply to college - St. John's, NYU... play BBCOR. My son goes to a private school here and they all play wood.  A lot of the local youth leagues follow the same rule so that they get used to wood before they start in school. My son has been playing predominantly wood, except for travel tournaments, since 8U.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.