Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The longer I was a business professional, the more I realized how crucially important it was to like, respect, and trust the people with whom I worked. I can trace virtually all of my positive experiences to a workplace where those components were pretty uniformly in place. Not surprisingly, most of my less positive experiences evidenced a breakdown in one or more of those factors.

I have a daughter and so, you can skip this if you want.  The first TB team my daughter (BB) played for was a rec team that was forced to play TB because the rec board kept making new aimed at my daughter.  It started when she was not allowed to windup and throw full speed.  She was then forced to hit at the end of the lineup so she could not get as many at bats in a game.  BB played for that team through 12U.  However, at 12U, she was asked to guest play for a 14U team.  She threw as the #1 on the team she "guest played" with and hit 3rd in the lineup.  They considered her a part of the team.  The coach of her first team came to me and said he would recommend that BB play for the other team since he could not have that team play the level of competition she needed to play.  By then, BB was playing 12U, 14U, 16U and 18U depending upon what tournament the other team played in.  

The following year, the older team folded during the winter.  BB was asked to play for an older team that was a part of a new program.  We didn't want BB playing 14, 16 and 18U.  It was mentioned that if she played varsity as a freshman, she would doing exactly that.  The team hooked us up with regards to cost and the equipment issued was exceptional.  Three uniforms, bat bag, back pack, ... We did not realize that instantly, BB would be on a team that would play in 7 states and win tournaments in 5 of the 7.  She was playing with girls that were older and that concerned us until we found out that they were the best kids in the world.  The coach quit instantly due to a job change and he was replaced by one of the best men I have ever met.  That guy asked me to be his assistant and I did on condition that I never made a decision regarding my child.  This was our introduction to year round softball.  I think BB counted the first year and she played over 162 games which is the equivalent to MLB.   BB played for this program for 2 years and then all the older girls were too old and in college.  She was still eligible to play 14U.  LOL  We had to move on.  

BB was asked to play for one of the top programs in the Midwest.  They made all kinds of promises.  Hint, beware of those programs that promise everything.  She was to be the #1 pitcher, middle of lineup hitter, ...  We found out that so many others were promised the same thing.  BB's best friend was supposed to be on this team but we found out that she was cut.  She called BB and said that she was given a position on another team and that they wanted BB.  The choice was easy after being lied to.  

BB found a home and now coaches in that new program.  This team had substantial fees BUT they also offered year round training, weight room, video work, and played a year around schedule.  BB found a program where everyone was as committed as she was to winning.  They had similar goals, were concerned about both academics and athletics, but a team through community involvement including working at so many charities, ...  Every girl on that team went on to play college but one.  The one that didn't went to culinary college.  They played all over the country and BB had offers to play at just about every level one could play from two P5 schools to every school in the area D-II Conference.  

Now the answer to your question can be found in the above but it comes down to is your child developing, is he challenged, is he being exposed to better competition in front of those schools he might be interested in, is he playing with friends and not acquaintances, is he happy, ...

Wales posted:

I'm looking for opinions, and anecdotes on how you knew it was time to move on from one program and join another without factoring in the money aspect of taking a new position with another program.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Wales,

I think this is a fairly universal question that applies to baseball or any profession.  I've changed jobs/companies a few times.   For me, it came down to these 4 four things not in any particular order.   If one of these 4 things is out of balance for more than a year, then I began looking for the next career move.  Your mileage may vary.

1) Personal growth, training & skills development

2) Opportunity to succeed and realize the benefits of doing a good job

3) Chemistry & trust with my boss

4) Balance with family life and overall financial security

Good luck with your decision.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.