Skip to main content

My 2018 RHP got a call from a coach who is apparently putting together a team for a Perfect Game tournament in Jupiter in October. Coach said one of the D1 schools that has made son an offer recommended him for the team. They want him to come down and pitch a game. We would pay $300 and travel expenses. Is this a good opportunity? How do we take the most advantage of it? What questions should I be asking? We've never done anything like this so I'm not sure how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated. It seems slightly fishy to me. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is the way it works. My son's summer team shuts down in fall and I don't want him playing the full fall schedule, so we usually end up doing it like this. He usually just comes in, starts a game and comes home. Prices can range from $0 to $450. 

Whether it is a good opportunity depends a lot on what organization is making the offer. You want him on a team with a roster full of studs so he gets looks from schools there to see other talent (not to mention mlb scouts if he's at that place in his development). $300 is in the upper end of costs, but not completely unreasonable.

iowamom23 - So I think you have to determine if this event is valuable to your son.  My son had committed to his travel coach in mid-July that he would go with his team months in advance of PG Jupiter.    His travel coach was very helpful with college recruiting and my son was a team player.   A month or so later, my son committed to his college prior to his senior year in high school.   My son wanted to honor his committment to his travel coach so he went to PG Jupiter with the team.  It was an interesting experience and was full of MLB & professional scouts not so many college scouts.   It was on my son's dime, so wife and I said nothing.  

If you think he will be committed before this event then I don't see the value in attending unless your son is hoping to go professional.   That was our experience.  Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by fenwaysouth
Iowamom23 posted:

My 2018 RHP got a call from a coach who is apparently putting together a team for a Perfect Game tournament in Jupiter in October. Coach said one of the D1 schools that has made son an offer recommended him for the team. They want him to come down and pitch a game. We would pay $300 and travel expenses. Is this a good opportunity? How do we take the most advantage of it? What questions should I be asking? We've never done anything like this so I'm not sure how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated. It seems slightly fishy to me. 

Can your son get confirmation that that is how it went down?

CaCO3Girl posted:
Iowamom23 posted:

Can your son get confirmation that that is how it went down?

My opinion is that if he isn't committed yet, what can it hurt? Limited opportunities to play in that event. If he is committed, is he a draft prospect. Like many in here have said, Jupiter is heavily a pro scouted event - and hey, that's not a bad crowd to be in front of either! Hell, I'll take your kid there!

If you can swing it financially, I would go for it! Jupiter is one of the few tournaments that I have never heard a bad word about. It is also one of the tournaments that is on nearly everyone whom I trusts "Must Do" list.

It's one thing to be a big fish in a small pond at home, but Jupiter is full of big fishes (and fishermen!) and I think it is an opportunity not to be missed. I know my son and I will be there!

Good luck.

Every year at this event there are 200 or more college coaches.  Yet some people think it is all MLB scouts in attendance.  Only thing I can think of is that most of the MLB organizations send 15 or more scouts, some send their entire scouting department.  So in the end the scouts far outnumber the colleges coaches. In reality there are more college coaches at that event than any other event in the country.  Some are there following their committed players.  Others are there looking for players.  There isn't a better place to find players.

What is most important is the talent level of the player.  As you can see by looking at the link below there is a lot of talent competing in the tournament.  I would make sure the team contacting you is really in the event.  In the past we have had kids thinking they were playing only to find out that team wasn't invited.

This event is something the players will never forget.  Please don't take this as some type of promotional  hype.  Believe me when I say it is not necessary to promote this event. Anyone worried about their son competing against the best teams and players in the country, should not attend this event, because that is what this tournament is all about.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Ev...ault.aspx?event=4498

My son was fortunate to hit a lot of great tourneys in his journey.  From Dizzy Dean W.S., Cooperstown, all the WWBA's, PG Jr. National, National, a couple of Connie Mack W.S. and three trips to Jupiter, the Jupiter trips were always our favorite and most fun.  There is something very special about that environment.  If it's affordable for you, send him for the experience alone.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.