Skip to main content

NYdad2017 posted:
PlayWithEffort posted:

Good luck to everyone this fall. 

If you don't mind me asking, how big have the rosters been for the fall season? Are the fall roster sizes matching your expectations so far? 

I understand that it will vary by school but I'm curious as to whether you had some expectation going in and whether that lines up with what your player is facing?

I saw that Arkansas, which was mentioned in another post, has 43 on their roster. Though 3 freshmen PO's are already listed as R/S

That's one of the larger roster sizes I have seen in the SEC so far. Most that I've looked at have been around 34-38 or so. Granted, I only checked a few SEC and maybe an ACC team or two. 

Arkansas just hired a new recruiting coordinator (Thompson) this year who is replacing Vitello who took the Tennessee job. It will be interesting to see if they bring that many players in the next class or not. 

They also had some upperclassmen return instead of going in the draft but I don't know if that would have impacted their numbers for the fall.

Just thinking out loud here...

Ok, I guess one last random thought . I wonder how many of those may be trying to walk on? 

PlayWithEffort posted:
NYdad2017 posted:
PlayWithEffort posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how big have the rosters been for the fall season? Are the fall roster sizes matching your expectations so far? 

I understand that it will vary by school but I'm curious as to whether you had some expectation going in and whether that lines up with what your player is facing?

I saw that Arkansas, which was mentioned in another post, has 43 on their roster. Though 3 freshmen PO's are already listed as R/S

That's one of the larger roster sizes I have seen in the SEC so far. Most that I've looked at have been around 34-38 or so. Granted, I only checked a few SEC and maybe an ACC team or two. 

Arkansas just hired a new recruiting coordinator (Thompson) this year who is replacing Vitello who took the Tennessee job. It will be interesting to see if they bring that many players in the next class or not. 

They also had some upperclassmen return instead of going in the draft but I don't know if that would have impacted their numbers for the fall.

Just thinking out loud here...

Ok, I guess one last random thought . I wonder how many of those may be trying to walk on? 

Clarification questions - At what point does the roster get whittled down to 35?  More importantly, what is the exact status of a player if they fail to make the 35 man roster?  Are they prohibited from any and all team activities including coach run conditioning?  Also, as for R/S, my understanding is that a kid with any amount of athletic scholarship is "automatically" on the roster (or at least counted as one of the 35 max).  Is there any limit as to how many players can participate in the fall team activities before the cut?

D1 rosters during the championship season cannot exceed 35. That includes RS players. They are all allowed to practice with the team.

Some of those players with scholarships may not make the team for becoming ineligible, it's inevitable that this happens in all programs.

If you see 43 on a D1 roster, just remember only 27 can have athletic scholarships, everyone else is a walk on, even those with academic scholarships.  Some coaches like big fall rosters, breeds competition.

If you don't make the spring roster, you are off the team.

my D3 school has 61 guys on the full roster, broke us up into V and JV practice rosters. 35 guys on the V roster (me included ) 16 pitchers and the rest position guys, let me tell you being a PO at most high schools doesn't prepare you for the practices you will have to go through in college, weve been practicing for a week and ive already done more than i did all throughout hs at practices, lots of running and arm care plus bullpens every few days or so. arm is a bit shot after throwing about 80 innings spring and summer combined but still competing to the best of my ability! throwing live for the first time tomorrow to real college hitters, should be fun!

LHP2017 posted:

my D3 school has 61 guys on the full roster, broke us up into V and JV practice rosters. 35 guys on the V roster (me included ) 16 pitchers and the rest position guys, let me tell you being a PO at most high schools doesn't prepare you for the practices you will have to go through in college, weve been practicing for a week and ive already done more than i did all throughout hs at practices, lots of running and arm care plus bullpens every few days or so. arm is a bit shot after throwing about 80 innings spring and summer combined but still competing to the best of my ability! throwing live for the first time tomorrow to real college hitters, should be fun!

update on this : first outing was a success! threw 2 innings went 6 up 6 down with one backwards K from a fastball on the black. faced two of our top returning hitters and forced them both to ground out, no hard hit balls either so was a solid start to the intrasquad series we are heading into next few weeks! still getting acclimated to the intensity of practices but its getting better everyday!

#1 Assistant Coach posted:

Question: seeing a lot of 2017 commitments showing up this week on PG site.   Are these true Walk-Ons who have made the fall roster?  Kids who got in the school on their own thru admissions and now have been officially invited to try out for the fall?

Just curious.  

Seeing more 2017s committing to Power-5 programs past couple days on PG commitment page.   

Can Anyone cinfirm my theory above?   Only thing I can think of.  

Question: seeing a lot of 2017 commitments showing up this week on PG site.   Are these true Walk-Ons who have made the fall roster?  Kids who got in the school on their own thru admissions and now have been officially invited to try out for the fall?

Just curious.  

Seeing more 2017s committing to Power-5 programs past couple days on PG commitment page.   

Can Anyone cinfirm my theory above?   Only thing I can think of.  

Maybe, maybe not. I just think people think these programs have tied up their players years ahead. 

Reality is that these programs will have a lot more than 35 in fall practice.

Well, the 2 week official fall season is over at my kid's school.  All I heard from him was "I'm pretty happy about how well I played."  I'm taking that to mean "I did extremely well."  I guess we'll see soon enough.  It can't be very easy for players to establish themselves in such a brief time frame. Ditto for the coaches in projecting what roles they'll be playing.

Our official fall season just started on Sunday. today they have lifting and conditioning testing.  The boys have been informally working out together and scrimmaging amongst themselves for the past three weeks.  I’ve heard only positives, so hopeful for him. This weekend the team will host a scrimmage as part of parent’s weekend — so it will be fun to watch him throw an inning or two.

One thing I like... The coaches sit the players down in early October at the end of fall baseball to tell them where they stand heading into the spring and what is required/must be worked on during the winter. I’m sure that is quite common, but still think its good for the kids to know early where they stand.

Good luck to all freshman over the next couple weeks/months as they show their stuff and make an impression. Exciting and nerve racking times.

Great hearing players are doing well and enjoying the experiences.  Don't lose sight of the overall picture though.  Yes there will be players better than you, yes you will be better than some players.  Whatever the outcome give 100%.  Practice, workout and carry yourself on and off the field like somebody is watching you, because in reality it is probably true.  Keep your head up during those frustrating and not so good days.  Coaches and others notice how well you handle the good times as well as the bad ones.  Whether you make the starting 9, become a role player, or even a travel squad, enjoy the game and what it brings.  You will know when it is time to move on, but until that day comes, have fun!

PlayWithEffort posted:

42 in camp this fall.   Lots of competition 

TPM posted:

D1 rosters during the championship season cannot exceed 35. That includes RS players. They are all allowed to practice with the team.

Some of those players with scholarships may not make the team for becoming ineligible, it's inevitable that this happens in all programs.

If you see 43 on a D1 roster, just remember only 27 can have athletic scholarships, everyone else is a walk on, even those with academic scholarships.  Some coaches like big fall rosters, breeds competition.

If you don't make the spring roster, you are off the team.

To TPM's point I have seen the cut down to 35 handled all sorts of ways. The programs who do it right IMO make it clear to kids after fall that they don't have a role for them or their role will be limited.  Allows plenty of first and sometimes second year kids transfer (most often to juco) at semester. 

However I have seen several have 38-40 come back in Spring which I do have an issue with. Realistically only the top 25 or so play each Spring so no reason to split hairs on back end of roster

This from the D1 perspective 

Update on Ryno's Fall.  Purdue has 49 players this Fall.  He thinks he is in the running for one of the weekend starter's positions, and they had their one and only Fall Scrimmage against another team.  It was a Toronto Blue Jays Scout Team from Cananda.  Apparently, they travel and play a lot of colleges in the Fall.  Anyhow, it appears a lot of their kids end up playing college in the states, but they are still high school kids.  Ryan got the start and pitched 3 perfect innings with 5 K's.  I thought that was pretty impressive, until the rest of their pitchers pitched another 9 combined perfect innings, with another 11 K's!  I know they were a High School - All Star Team, but 12 Perfect IP with 16 K's still sounds pretty good.

Right now, he thinks he and his teammate who pitched 2nd in the game are in competition for the 3rd weekend starter spot.  Not sure what happens to the loser.  Long Relief? Early week starter? We'll see, but at least he is competing.

rynoattack posted:

I know they were a High School - All Star Team, but 12 Perfect IP with 16 K's still sounds pretty good.

They are HS players from Canada... I wonder what the score would have been if it had been a Hockey game 

Congrats to Ryno and hope he makes the weekend rotation next year!

Son has a had a good couple weeks....throwing well....and he does have a bat back in his hands after not hitting last year.  He is hitting well for having not batted for so long...only 1K that I know of so far.  Had a so-so pro day...5 guys, HR, Fly Out to the Track, Ground Out, Double, Walk.   He did hit ok and also had the highest FB velo of the day of any pitcher.  Hasn't gotten any time in the field, which he had kind of hoped for, but thinks he's in the running for the DH spot....and maybe closer.  Should know more in a couple weeks, but he's happy so far and seems to be having fun...that's what matters

Got to see my first fall ball of the year.  Kid roped a triple off the fence in his only at bat (only 5 innings).....pitched an inning...threw strikes.  Had a K, a single up the middle....a pop up behind 2nd base that the 2nd baseman and RF both watched fall 4 feet from them....and a ground ball to SS that would have ended the inning but the throw was 12 feet short of the 1B....took a hop and allowed both guys to score.  Hopefully this isn't a sign that the defense is going to struggle again next spring.....but I guess they have some time....hope it gets figured out....it's tough on the pitchers.  

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Got to see my first fall ball of the year.  Kid roped a triple off the fence in his only at bat (only 5 innings).....pitched an inning...threw strikes.  Had a K, a single up the middle....a pop up behind 2nd base that the 2nd baseman and RF both watched fall 4 feet from them....and a ground ball to SS that would have ended the inning but the throw was 12 feet short of the 1B....took a hop and allowed both guys to score.  Hopefully this isn't a sign that the defense is going to struggle again next spring.....but I guess they have some time....hope it gets figured out....it's tough on the pitchers.  

Sounds like the defense is behind the pitchers............my son has the same problems.  He says that coach is moving kids around to get "depth" so if an injury occurs, they'll be prepared, but it is hard seeing athletic IF's trying to play OF, and SS's at 2nd, and DH's at 1B.  

But then again, it puts pitchers in the position to work out of holes....

Trust In Him posted:

It's a long baseball season and anything can happen until opening day.  I probably have seen 2 or 3 fall games/practices in the years my son was playing.  Mostly to satisfy my withdraws symptoms from lack of baseball.  I wouldn't read too much into what is seen the next few months, but that's just me.

I wouldn't either, if it wasn't for the fact that it's the third year of the same thing lol.  His face after the pop up dropped in between 4 guys was priceless.....and it was even moreso one pitch later when the SS threw the ball away on what was one of the most routine plays you'll see.  The luck he has with defense when he's on the mound just keeps going downhill 

For those freshman parents w/ pitchers who "follow" their son's ERA too religiously - be prepared... The statistician's favor the hitters - what you may call an error (drop between 2B/RF) is a *HIT*  and that throw by the SS->1B that is late because it hits the ground is an "Infield single to SS" ...  My favorite was BUNT single to pitcher and 2 runs scored because the 1b-man muffed the catch and the next throw.  I've seen the CF drop 2 balls in the same inning and both be called hits. Depends entirely on home scorekeeper who in some cases is not as baseball savvy as they should be. College ERA's must be taken with a very large grain of salt.

JohnF posted:

For those freshman parents w/ pitchers who "follow" their son's ERA too religiously - be prepared... The statistician's favor the hitters - what you may call an error (drop between 2B/RF) is a *HIT*  and that throw by the SS->1B that is late because it hits the ground is an "Infield single to SS" ...  My favorite was BUNT single to pitcher and 2 runs scored because the 1b-man muffed the catch and the next throw.  I've seen the CF drop 2 balls in the same inning and both be called hits. Depends entirely on home scorekeeper who in some cases is not as baseball savvy as they should be. College ERA's must be taken with a very large grain of salt.

Amen to this. Some of the things ruled hits are pretty amazing actually 

BackstopDad32 posted:
JohnF posted:

So true!

2019Dad posted:
NYdad2017 posted:

FYI, Tulane brought in 15 freshmen and 9 transfers. 

Do your homework people. In my opinion, your child is your greatest investment

http://tulanegreenwave.com/new...-incoming-class.aspx

It's interesting, I just checked and they have only 40 on the fall roster. I mean, I say "only" but when 24 new players are brought in, I suppose i was expecting more.

A couple of the incoming freshman have already moved on. I believe some returning players also. 

This is not usually announced on Twitter, like commitments are, so you must do your homework. 

Last edited by NYdad2017
2019Dad posted:
NYdad2017 posted:

FYI, Tulane brought in 15 freshmen and 9 transfers. 

Do your homework people. In my opinion, your child is your greatest investment

http://tulanegreenwave.com/new...-incoming-class.aspx

It's interesting, I just checked and they have only 40 on the fall roster. I mean, I say "only" but when 24 new players are brought in, I suppose i was expecting more.

Are all players listed on the Fall Roster?  I ask, because Purdue's Fall Roster only shows the returning players right now, although there are 49 total players practicing right now.

Rynoattack,  it is probably just that the coach has not updated the site. Perhaps there are some players on the bubble or a walk on where their status has not been determined.

I am not sure of the coaching changes in D1 this year but I think the number is around 30.  These 30 changes will bring on more competition  via transfers and Freshman and typically more numbers than usual.  The nature of the sport!

Last edited by JABMK
BackstopDad32 posted:
JohnF posted:

I get through this by telling myself that it is easier for the scorekeeper to only frustrate me by charging a hit (or earned run) against my pitcher son versus the batter's Dad/Mom and the fielder's Dad/Mom mad by taking away a hit or charging an error.

Last edited by Phanatic

Went to son's first fall game today. Nice to see the new freshman and what they can do, as well as meet the parents. Son started off the game with a nice 2-strike hit to CF followed by a stolen base after three or four pickoff attempts. Scored two runs playing about half the extra inning game. Funny when the manager from the opposing team came out around the fourth inning or so after son was HBP. Apparently the mgr (bench called pickoffs) was upset that pitcher wasn't following the catcher's commands.Mgr yelled "I call the game". (that was after 4 additional pickoffs to first). Beautiful October day in New England (my guess was near 80 degrees). 

Son is coming home this weekend for the first time, so I am sure I will get the full scoop then… but it sounds like his first fall baseball was a success.  Had his coaches meeting yesterday and found out that he is slotted to be one of the four starters this spring (provided he stays sharp this winter).  Real happy for him.  He is a grinder who has earned this.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.