Skip to main content

An exciting time of year as college commits are coming in.   I asked this in a different thread but was encouraged to start a thread topic of it's own.  This could be/would be very helpful perspective for those of us with younger players and/or players who haven't gotten offers/commitments yet

I'm wondering, for those who have had a player commit:

1) Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to?

2) What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc?

3) How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc

4) How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment?

Thanks

Last edited by 3and2Fastball
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

School son just committed to as an RHP:

- AC first came to son's start on mound at LP in 2015.  Total grease fire.  Could not get out of 1st-inning.  Got hook in 1st-inning!  We crossed this AC and his school off list two years ago.  Never would have believed he'd hang around two more years after that outing!

- has seen son an additional 4-5 times since.  But when son rec'd other offers from D-1s he must've taken it as a sign he better move.  FenwaySouth has been known to say, "These guys don't offer until they HAVE TO."  And other schools putting offers on the table makes them also have to offer.  Son did have 2 other D-1 offers on table when he finally committed.  

- As people say on this site, "You never know what a coach is looking for, what they see, what their timeline is, or what their intentions are."

- Apparently this AC's timeline was 2-3 years, was looking for projectability, and had no intention of expecting son to be a finished product in 2015.   Son has continued to make progress, and got to a point where AC felt it was time to make offer.  

1) 2017 OF was first seen at HF Sacramento by AC.  He might have also been seen the previous Nov at HF Jupiter but the school wasn't on our radar then, so not sure about that.

2) First seen during summer before senior year.

3) Seen one more time by AC and HC at Stanford later in the same week as initial encounter.

4) Travel coach had no role.  His contacts are with D1s.

Last edited by smokeminside

Son is a 2017 in fall ball - well home At the moment due to impending hurricane ! 

First seen by HC during summer after freshman year. Son was a freshman playing on an 18U team and HC was there to see an older pitcher.   HC came again to see son early summer summer after soph year.   No offer at that point

son received offers from two other pa schools but like many kids up here has his heart set on going south.    HC came to a MLB scouting bureau workout and saw him again.  Then received offer.   Son did not commit.  He wanted to visit school - which we obviously supported.    We visited late August and he committed Labor Day weekend before junior year.    

Hc then saw him 3 times summer after he committed    At ecp  a tournament in Virginia and Jupiter    

Travel coach was very helpful   Has a good relationship and has had a handful of kids go there 

#1 Assistant Coach posted:

School son just committed to as an RHP:

- AC first came to son's start on mound at LP in 2015.  Total grease fire.  Could not get out of 1st-inning.  Got hook in 1st-inning!  We crossed this AC and his school off list two years ago.  Never would have believed he'd hang around two more years after that outing!

- has seen son an additional 4-5 times since.  But when son rec'd other offers from D-1s he must've taken it as a sign he better move.  FenwaySouth has been known to say, "These guys don't offer until they HAVE TO."  And other schools putting offers on the table makes them also have to offer.  Son did have 2 other D-1 offers on table when he finally committed.  

- As people say on this site, "You never know what a coach is looking for, what they see, what their timeline is, or what their intentions are."

- Apparently this AC's timeline was 2-3 years, was looking for projectability, and had no intention of expecting son to be a finished product in 2015.   Son has continued to make progress, and got to a point where AC felt it was time to make offer.  

Edit

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

2018 RHP

1) First seen by the HC of the school he committed to at about 9 years old. The coach ran a local hitting camp and later became the HC.

2) First time seen by the school (same HC) during his HS sophomore season at school.

3) After being seen at HS during Sophomore year, visit and first offer by school.
Seen at a Dynamic Combine by RC in May of Sophomore year, second offer
Seen at PG WWBA Tourney in Georgia by PC in July between Sophomore and Junior year, third offer and commitment.

4) Travel coach was who RC reached out to initially. Travel coach remained primary contact until commitment.

Last edited by FFXfireman

2018 LHP

First (I think) seen by RC/PC at Headfirst LI summer after sophomore year.

Seen 1 month later at the camp of the college he ultimately committed to.  Possibly also seen by RC/PC at WWBA Fort Myers 1 month later, but not sure.

Offered by the school he committed to soon after, but only after offers were received from two other schools (and ACT score was known).

RC/PC watched him pitch HS State semi-final game in spring after he committed.

Travel coach had no role.

I will answer this twice since son ended up changing his commitment after a significant and unexpected change in the coaching situation.  First school:

1) Travel team was invited to play in a mini-tournament on campus.

2) Summer before sophomore year, 15 years old.

3) PG/Evoshield National Underclass tournament that fall, pitching coach attended a high school game the following spring, USA Baseball National Team Championships and travel team workout on campus (where offer occurred) the following summer.

4) Travel coach arranged for the travel team tournament and workout on campus and facilitated communications with the coaches since it was before son's junior year and they could not contact him directly. 

Second school, where he ultimately ended up:

1) Pitching camp on campus.

2) Winter of freshman year, 14 years old.

3) Same on-campus pitching camp the following winter, USA Baseball National Team Championships, Stanford camp, and PG Underclass All American Games that summer, MLB Scouting Bureau Underclass Invitational Game and PG National Showcase the summer after that.

4) Travel coach did not have a role. 

In the end, it was really lucky for him that the school he ended up committting to just a month before signing his NLI had seen him from an early age and remained familiar with him and his progress over time.

Last edited by Enjoying the Ride

3and2Fastball,

1) Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to? - HeadFirst

2) What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc? - Summer as a rising Senior

3) How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc - After HF it was a prospect camp visit on campus where he was offered.  So, the coaching staff had seen him a total of two times.   The whole reason for the camp was for the HC to see him, and my son to see the campus.   It worked out well.

4) How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment? - His travel coach was incredibly important initially with traditional D1 schools that were interested and offered him his junior year.  However, the travel coach was not familiar with high academic recruiting among Ivys, Patriot and D3 schools.   So, my wife, son and I took that on, and learned alot in a short amount of time as his target schools changed, and he committed as a rising high school senior.

I hope that helps.

My 2017 was first seen at NorCal World Series as a rising senior by HC of the hi-ac D3 where he is currently a freshman. Also seen by same coach at Stanford camp but it was clear HC had made up his mind on NCWS plus seeing his  video.

HS and summer coaches had zero impact, though head of NorCal organization, who kid played for just a little, really pimped him at that event, which led to a bunch of contacts.

Inspired by Fenway's copy/paste wizardry I will do this again.  This time with both schools son committed to on his journey:

School #1 (High Academic):

1) Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to?  - Headfirst 

2) What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc?  - summer before Sophomore year

3) How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc  - Another Headfirst, a Stanford Camp, then offer after pitching at their camp on campus fall of Junior year.  And a LOT of video and transcripts sent between first and last time seen live.

4) How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment?  - For this commitment?  Zero. FenwaySouth says it best in above post: "His travel coach was incredibly important initially with traditional D1 schools that were interested and offered him his junior year.  However, the travel coach was not familiar with high academic recruiting among Ivys, Patriot and D3 schools."   

School #2 (Power-5, High Academic):

1) Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to?  - 17u WWBA at Lake Point as a 15yo.

2) What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc?  - Summer before Sophomore year

3) How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc - Not sure.....many.  Dynamic tournaments and showcases, 2 camps on their campus.

4) How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment?  - For this school a good deal, as it had higher baseball chops along with the high academic component, than previous school where he committed.   don't know any details as I never wanted to pester, but I know things happened "behind the scenes" on son's behalf with the second school where he committed.  

1) Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to?   Not really sure.  He is at a local D1 (20 minutes from home).   First contact with the school came winter of Junior Season in an E-mail   

2) What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc?  Was first seen by a PC at a HS game during sophomore season.  Had several looks during summer before Junior year.

3) How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc.  Pitching coach and recruiting coordinator (Now the pitching coach) each seen him junior year in HS.   Head coach seen him pitch in the first summer tournament after Junior year and offered him the next day.

4) How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment? Travel organization was helpful on getting him seen after Sophomore season.  

Son got a call from RC on July 1st....RC said "we've seen you play and want you to come up for a visit".....the next Tuesday    The school is 45 minutes away....we had never seen the RC at a game/showcase/tourney/etc.  No idea where he had seen my son

Went up Tuesday...son loved everything.  Coach said I want to see you throw one more time.  Son's was throwing the following morning at 8am.  Coach drove down to see him, and a monsoon blew thru and cancelled the game.  RC stayed in town until 6pm to see son throw one inning the next game.  Son got an email a couple hours later while we were at the hotel.  Asked him to call the following morning.

Next morning son had an 11 o'clock game at a college that was also looking at him.  He called the RC after the game, was offered and took it over the phone.  Entire recruitment....9 days  

Here are my responses with some commentary thrown in for what it's worth: Son is a 2019.  We had been marketing him as a RHP/OF, but school to which he has committed wants him as an OF who can pitch:

1) Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to? - Area Code tryouts in Northborough, MA (did not make team [Northeast Yankees] but did play for them in one exhibition in Toronto when they needed bodies because too many players did not have passports! He had a blast).  Thank God for Area Code tryouts! Son was getting a lot of interest from schools in the region (New England and NY) which also happens to be travel coach's sphere of influence. Area Code tryouts had schools in attendance from well beyond that area, including son's school.  

2) What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc? - Winter of sophomore year.  Travel coach chatted him up to a few D-1s who asked that son attend winter camp.  Attended two. One with positive results but no offer (was an Ivy so way too early for that) and the other where coaches were ambivalent but would keep an eye on him.  Also attended a "local" showcase in March with @ 20 schools there along with an MLB scout who invited him to the AC tryouts as a result. Then a handful attended a few of his HS games when he was pitching (still sophomore year).

3) How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc - For commitment school: After Area Code tryout, he had a 5 hour unofficial visit so they could get a feel for his personality and fit and vice versa I guess. Then they (2 ACs) saw him showcase and then play three times all at the PBR Future Games in Indy in August. Offered him after second game of Future games (over the phone). For the other schools - each saw him play for HS and travel teams at least three times, plus UVs for each.  They also saw him showcase twice.  Interestingly enough, one of them was the school where he attended winter camp and they were ambivalent.

4) How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment? - Travel Coach played a significant role with all of the schools in our region. Makes tons of calls for his players and he is honest in his assessments which makes him a credible source.  But we lucked out with the commit school out of the region because travel team AC is an alum who pitched for the school and who remains in contact with the program.  He was a tremendous advocate for my son.

Hope this helps.

Academic son 2015 had to have a change of plans due to first choice coaches leaving. 

1) Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to?  First was travel coach before Jr. Year. He was an assistant at a local academic D3 . Son going to got here if got in. Then HC resigned and all coaches left. School he ultimately committed to first say him at Stanford all Stars for rising Jrs. Not sure if see or known at HF or Stanford before Sr. year.  He reached out to the school as he never dropped contact "Just in case" 

2) What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc? Not seen in high school no one comes to see us. Only time there is a scout is to see another team's player. 

3) How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc. Again not sure if he was seen or even if they were looking at him at Stanford, HF or top 96 academic. his Sr. year.  He reached out to them Sept of his Sr. year. Same with other schools he looked at and would have considered  he reached out to them in Sept/Oct Sr. year. 

4) How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment? Travel not much as I said coach left the school. Travel coach before Sr. year wanted him at his local NAIA but it wasn't academic enough for him. HS coach nothing. We went through 3 coaches in 4 years. Son reached out to rival school's  Head coach who helps players from some of the local privates schools too  and he was willing to help him and helped a lot by making phone calls on his behalf, giving him contacts etc and invited him to play fall games with them . Our HS was not fielding a fall team his Sr. year. 

For second son not academic and also a position player.  No interest from showcases or Fall Classic or travel. Catcher with pop up 1.91 at various venues but was as skinny catcher.   All interest from same school coach who helped my older academic son and  recruiting services. Inquires about potential interest from non academic D3  and offers from NAIA across country from video and coaches recommendation. Choice to go JUCO to get grades up (Finally) and is beefing up. 

1) Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to?   This is hard to say as during his (14-16 years) he played most of his tournaments on the West Coast and the school he committed to is on the East Coast. During the very few events my son played on the East Coast, it was not apparent to our travel coach that his school was interested or even present at any of those East Coast Tournaments. So I will have to say it was the PG Jr. National Showcase where he was first seen.  I say this with some confidence as he did not hit D1 velocity until the PG Junior National Showcase and is not a 6' 2"+ guy who would have projected D1 velocity in the future.

2) What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc? 

Rising Junior Summer

3) How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc  None (Seen at showcase on day 1 of Showcase, offered the next day on campus)

4) How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment?  Travel  Coach facilitated the discussions between son and the RC of the school he committed to.  High School coach spoke to the RC of the school he committed to as well.

We live in Florida by the way....2019 LHP

Last edited by Scott Munroe
3and2Fastball posted:
1) Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to?

3) How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc

4) How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment?

Thanks

Neat topic:   ALL CONTACTS WITH RC, except Top96 (AC)

For my 2015 (Middle Infielder)

1) First seen at Showball MEGA CAMP, Ft. Myers December

2) December sophomore year

3) sophomore year: Showball MEGA CAMP, HeadFirst Long Island (rising junior)

junior year: Showball MEGA CAMP Ft Myers, Committed School Specific Camp (defensive drills)- January , HS regular season game, HS playoff game, Top 96 (now UnderArmour) Northeast Academic Showcase, American Legion DH (offer after 2nd game).. So that's 7 times after initial showcase.

4) Travel Coach (American Legion) Manager played a huge role son's recruitment in terms of recommendations and network of specific schools that interested son. He also helped son understand process (Especially towards the end) .

Last edited by Ripken Fan

1) Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to?  On campus attending camp

2) What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc?  Fall of HS Junior year

3) How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc. Offered immediately on campus at camp after 2ip

4) How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment? Travel ball coach played pro ball w/ Pitching coach and advanced a favorable recommendation

3and2Fastball posted:

So far (and I recognize this is a small sample) there doesn't appear to be a lot of players being seen at Perfect Game events.  Probably just a fluke.  I recognize how valuable a Perfect Game evaluation is....  

There have been a few PG mentions, however a lot of these seem like Headfirst, Showball, Stanford, and College Camp "discoveries"

Just one man's opinion... at a showcase/camp there is a finite number of players. That being said, a player will stand out more if there's a reason for a coach to watch them. Such as an email from the player or a travel/HS coach contacting the college coach. 

At a tournament, there may be as many as 300 teams. While there will also be hundreds of coaches, they need a reason to watch a player. That's where the player emails, and preferably travel coach contacts, come into play. 

Going to a large tournament, sending a couple of emails, and hoping for the best is not a good strategy. A player NEEDS an advocate (travel coach). 

I think that over time you'll become shocked at the players that get picked up by teams, solely because they had the right advocate. 

3and2Fastball posted:

So far (and I recognize this is a small sample) there doesn't appear to be a lot of players being seen at Perfect Game events.  Probably just a fluke.  I recognize how valuable a Perfect Game evaluation is....  

There have been a few PG mentions, however a lot of these seem like Headfirst, Showball, Stanford, and College Camp "discoveries"

Son was not first seen at a PG event, but coaches he was actively speaking with attended the PG WWBA and made it clear they were watching (communication before and texts after the game).  More competitive venue than a showcase.   

NYdad2017 posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Just one man's opinion... at a showcase/camp there is a finite number of players. That being said, a player will stand out more if there's a reason for a coach to watch them. Such as an email from the player or a travel/HS coach contacting the college coach. 

At a tournament, there may be as many as 300 teams. While there will also be hundreds of coaches, they need a reason to watch a player. That's where the player emails, and preferably travel coach contacts, come into play. 

Going to a large tournament, sending a couple of emails, and hoping for the best is not a good strategy. A player NEEDS an advocate (travel coach). 

I think that over time you'll become shocked at the players that get picked up by teams, solely because they had the right advocate. 

Great point, yes, son was "first seen" at a PG event at LP, but only after some marketing and phone calls back and forth between coach and travel organization..  Son was first seen by current commit school at a LP-PG outing two years prior to committing.  The coach had been contacted via email before the event, he had seen video, he had called son's travel/showcase organization before he showed up to see son's outing.  

I don't believe there's much "stumbling upon talent" at a PG event.  Is there?  Sure.  A lot?  No.  These guys have to go to a PG tourney with a premade list, otherwise it's overwhelming and can be a waste of time for them.  A lot easier for them to "discover" talent at a wam-bam showcase where you get 10-cuts in BP, 5-groundballs, etc.  and 12-15 pitches off a mound, "Next!!" JMO.

2017 Position player

First "seen" by his college (the Asst. Coach/Recruiting Coordinator) at the PG Jr. National summer after Sophomore year.  He had been seen by them his freshman year as the school came to watch one of our Sr. HS pitchers (same AC/RC) who was committed to the school, but they weren't there to see my son, but he was a known prospect to them.

Son already had a couple of offers in hand prior to Jr. National.  After Jr. Nat, they recruited him in earnest and also had him visit campus that same summer where the HC took him on a tour.  At conclusion of that tour, we met with HC and he made the offer.  Son said he wasn't prepared to commit to any school at that time.  Coach asked son if they were in his top 3, stating if he was, he'd recruit him harder than anyone else would.  Son told him they were and the HC, AC/RC or PC was at every one of my son's games the remainder of that season.

Son continued to visit schools and consider offers.  He was actually very far down the recruiting path with one school in particular before his school got in the mix and his mom and I both thought for sure that's where he'd commit (they actually increased their current offer after the Jr. Nat), but at the end of that same summer, he committed to his current school.

So to your specific questions;

1. Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to? At HS, but not "really" until the PG Jr. National
  2. What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc?  After Sophomore year legitimately, although they were aware of him during Freshman year.
  3. How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc.  Before an offer, probably a dozen games.  After offer, they saw him a lot and everywhere, including tournaments in and out of our home state (he is at an out of state school).  Probably attended another 25 games between the offer and my son committing.  After the Jr. National showcase, all of them seeing him was live games, not showcases.
  4. How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment?  Both Travel and HS coach provided info on my son to the school.  The HS coach was already familiar because of the aforementioned player from his HS that played for this school.  The travel coach is well known and familiar to the college staff, so he also provided a lot of info to the HC.

3and2Fastball posted:

That wasn't the specific question you asked.  

My son attended many PG events (team won WWBA in 2007) over many years with his travel team, but it had no bearing on his specific school that he committed and attended.   It is my assumption that every school that offered or was serious about him did a PG search on him....i would if I was a college coach.

My understanding is HeadFirst, Showball, Stanford and college prospect camp discoveries are individual events (no travel teams) and may have been used to either see a recruit again or to bring a recruit in to make a decision or offer.   I can tell you in my son's case we looked at HeadFirst as insurance policy.   We were concerned about finding the right fit of engineering and college baseball.   The initial schools he looked at did not check the box for engineering.  

I think you are comparing two very different exposure strategies.  Again, JMO.

2017 Son first seen in summer after freshman year at tournament where he played with his HS summer team on campus of Div I he ended up signing with.  He is a catcher that was actually catching his 4th game of the day due to an injury of the other catcher that day.  He wasn't even suppose to catch that game.  Volunteer coach who was in charge of field maintenance asked his summer coach about him.  Volunteer coach became full time RC for same Div I team the next year.  Invited him to a once a week skills camp during the fall which he attended after HS football practice.  Conversation with RC and HC continued during the camp.  Watched him play about 5 games during the summer at PG events of his sophomore year.  Received an offer from another Div I school during summer of sophomore year on UV after RC saw him play about 3 games at PG events.  Two weeks after offer from 2nd Div 1, 1st Div 1 asked for him to come in for UV.  1st Div 1 offered on UV and son committed Sept of his junior year.  Perfect fit, great coaching staff and team is a mid major who has been to playoffs and is consistently ranked in top 30. Great academic fit as well.  Not to mention 45 minutes from home makes his parents happy.

I am sure what first stood out to coaches was his catching skills, but I firmly believe that coaches seeing him catch his 4th game of the day and choosing to attend skills camp after practicing football for 2.5 hours gave them indication of his mental and physical toughness and what they were looking for in a catcher.  Every conversation that son had with coaches this was always mentioned. 

As far as grades go son is also 4.0 student who has managed to balance academics and athletics.  Summer coaches were very supportive and had numerous discussions with all of the coaches recruiting him.  Highly respectable summer program, who have numerous contacts with college coaches. 

My point in such a lengthy post is that usually before making an offer schools will not only evaluate you on your athletic skills but also your mental toughness, work ethic, academics and how you play the game.  They even mentioned watching how he interacted with other teammates when not in the game.  All I can say is that the Div I he signed with did a thorough vetting before offering.  This in itself was appealing to son as a recruit and us as parents.  Not only were we looking for the right fit but it is just as important to the coaching staff that the recruit is the right fit.

fenwaysouth posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

That wasn't the specific question you asked.  

My son attended many PG events (team won WWBA in 2007) over many years with his travel team, but it had no bearing on his specific school that he committed and attended.   It is my assumption that every school that offered or was serious about him did a PG search on him....i would if I was a college coach.

My understanding is HeadFirst, Showball, Stanford and college prospect camp discoveries are individual events (no travel teams) and may have been used to either see a recruit again or to bring a recruit in to make a decision or offer.   I can tell you in my son's case we looked at HeadFirst as insurance policy.   We were concerned about finding the right fit of engineering and college baseball.   The initial schools he looked at did not check the box for engineering.  

I think you are comparing two very different exposure strategies.  Again, JMO.

Bingo

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.