Skip to main content

My 2019 has been invited to play in the Battle of the Borders tourney this wknd. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the tourney and is it worth going to for recruiting purposes. It involves a team from Texas and it's 5 border states and 1 national team. I've looked at the website and they've had some legit talent come thru since it's started. Ironically my son has been invited to play by the New Mexico team. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.thebattleoftheborders.com

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Texas 2 Sons posted:

My 2019 has been invited to play in the Battle of the Borders tourney this wknd. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the tourney and is it worth going to for recruiting purposes. It involves a team from Texas and it's 5 border states and 1 national team. I've looked at the website and they've had some legit talent come thru since it's started. Ironically my son has been invited to play by the New Mexico team. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.thebattleoftheborders.com

It is a good event and worth participating in for sure.  

Texas 2 Sons posted:

He's a SS/RHP.  We've never played with this team before. Scheduled to play in the AZ Fall Classic with them, so coach asked if he could play in this also. Not sure what to expect, but I'm sure it will be a good tourney no matter what. I like that it's a mix of all the different age groups. You guys have a lot of players already committed.

If you have the time, resources ($$), and want to see great talent, he should do it if possible.  The more he plays with/against top talent, the better he will become.  That being said, my son was asked many times to play on these travel teams who get players from all over the country and just meet to play tournaments.  He declined them all.  When my son plays on those type of teams he does so to get better, to see better talent, and to enjoy the game.  He loved playing with his friends, people who he played with previously, etc.  At that age, baseball should still be an enjoyment for them, not a "job".  I never specifically asked  him but I suspect his reasoning was he would rather play on a good team with players he is familiar with, than to play on an elite team where they meet for a few hours a day, go about their work,  then possibly never meet again until college.  That was him.  I still believe though these formulated elite teams will give him an idea where he stacks up with the upper talent.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.