Skip to main content

Just curious to find out if there are others out there who have son that decided he wanted to finish out football and play senior season despite making decision to hopefully play college baseball and being in the middle of trying to find a baseball home? Definitely adds a little stress on several fronts but some how we are finding a way to make it all work. Ironically, I am also one of the asst football coaches but made it absolutely clear that I would have no problem if he decided to not play. I actually would have preferred he did not play football and even hinted at that but let the decision up to him. Anyone else going through or been through similar situation?

"Baseball is more then a game. It's like life played out on a field." - Juliana Hatfield

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is a topical thread for me.   We are trying to determine if we continue with football.   He is the fastest kid on the team and the best hitter, as evidenced by the fact that he's a gunner and linebacker/FS and has the best 40 and 100 times.   On offense they put him on the line (GUARD)  even though he's build more like a baseball player, lanky and thinner but muscular.  50 pounds lighter than any of the other O lineman.  Although he's not even a Junior, my wife and I started to discuss whether it makes sense to play baseball, and if so what position is safest for our boys.    I just think being an undersized lineman pulling a lot is recipe for hand, arm and knee injuries and probably not worth it for a kid who will have D1 offers (or so we are told).   Would line be better or worse for baseball player than end, back qb etc?  Anyone have an opinion on this? 

Last edited by Goblue33
Goblue33 posted:

This is a topical thread for me.   We are trying to determine if we continue with football.   He is the fastest kid on the team and the best hitter, as evidenced by the fact that he's a gunner and linebacker/FS and has the best 40 and 100 times.   On offense they put him on the line (GUARD)  even though he's build more like a baseball player, lanky and thinner but muscular.  50 pounds lighter than any of the other O lineman.  Although he's not even a Junior, my wife and I started to discuss whether it makes sense to play baseball, and if so what position is safest for our boys.    I just think being an undersized lineman pulling a lot is recipe for hand, arm and knee injuries and probably not worth it for a kid who will have D1 offers (or so we are told).   Would line be better or worse for baseball player than end, back qb etc?  Anyone have an opinion on this? 

I may have read that last sentence incorrectly, but BACKUP QB is in fact the best position for a baseball player.  That is assuming the starting QB is tough and the offense line is solid - and they don't run the option too often.

But seriously, a pulling guard had better be light on his feet when the defensive guys start falling close by and start rolling around on the ground.  Does the school require all lineman to wear knee braces?

Similar situation for my son. He is starting LB, LS, and backup QB. Not a huge fan of him playing LB but it is where our staff thinks he helps team most and has played the position since 3rd or 4th week of junior season. If this helps at all, last injury for my son was separated shoulder while he was playing some TE soph season. Injuries occur at every position but OL and DL do get a little beat up just because they are guaranteed contact on almost every play. They also, in my experience, incur more abuse to the hands because they are constantly using their hands to engage opponent. QB's can also take a fair amount of punishment depending on offensive system and ability of OL to protect.

Might be a karma risk associated with picking a position based upon potential injuries -- you shoot for backup QB and all of a sudden the starter does down . . .  

I remember a football, basketball and (good) baseball player a few years back.  No problems in his (excellent) senior football season, but broke his leg in basketball season, thereby eliminating his senior baseball season.

I'm all for kids having the full high school experience. Being a senior is a big deal. But a kid can not go out on the football field thinking about how not to get injured. It's either all in or get off the field.

Stuff happens. Live your life. The only time my son missed from sports was due to a baseball injury and the following rehab. Baseball isn't where you would have expected him to get injured.

Last edited by RJM
Ripken Fan posted:

Son's current college teammate was WR for his HS football team. He set many receiving yardage records. Official visit of those recruited shuffled to early Nov if I remember due to fall sport playoffs (soccer, football, etc.). This WR was starting CF as a freshman at D1 school.

WR is a fairly safe position.  Other than Kickier/punter LS, may be the safest on the field. 

My son played through his senior year, but probably should have concentrated on just baseball following his sophomore year of high school.  He played guard and some at center and was somewhat undersized. He continued to gain strength and weight in order to play OL. The weight gain was not good for baseball.

Now, as a college senior, he is back to the same weight he played football at as a sophomore in high school.

Goblue33 posted:
Ripken Fan posted:

Son's current college teammate was WR for his HS football team. He set many receiving yardage records. Official visit of those recruited shuffled to early Nov if I remember due to fall sport playoffs (soccer, football, etc.). This WR was starting CF as a freshman at D1 school.

WR is a fairly safe position.  Other than Kickier/punter LS, may be the safest on the field. 

Yea and a strong armed QB threw long and this player's speed outran most coverage.

Coach, at about 145lbs, our son was the starting QB in an offense which ran a double wing, with the QB often being the lead blocker into the hole.  They played a team who averaged 330lbs across the DL so that running game turned out to have question marks.  Our son ended up throwing the ball all over the field.  Team ended up making the area playoffs and he and his friends still get together and review films of him leading the pack into the hole. Our son played every offensive down because they had no back up QB, NONE!

The head coach was not invited back and more than a few feel it was because he did not use an offense which took more advantage of our son's ability to throw the football and which took too much advantage of his "blocking ability!"

The transition to baseball went fine and he went on to have a wonderful college and Milb career.

When he showed up at college, the football coach was one of the first contacts wondering why he was late for Fall practice. From that point on, baseball was his only sport.

Son played football and baseball for the four years of high school.  He was a linebacker — second string — so he got into most games as our team was really pretty good.  I was perfectly happy to watch him enjoy the bonding and testosterone that is part of the football season and loved to see him on the sidelines. He was all-in, all the time during practice and only once tweaked an ankle.  The only challenging time was his junior year when he really doubled down on off-season baseball stuff and had to balance school, ACT prep, serious off-season baseball lessons/program and football.  That was a lot.

That said — it's high school.  You only get to be under the Friday night lights for a short time in your life.  School pride.  Sports in high school are supposed to be fun— its too young to turn it into a job.  

If I understand your question correctly.....it is more about the time investment of playing football versus trying to find a college baseball home for next year?  If so, that is a tough call given the activities required of communicating with college baseball coaches, visiting schools, Fall showcases and camps.  Given the current recruiting calendar it would be mostly D3 schools at this point in time for college baseball recruitment, and a very busy time for those coaches and recruits trying to find a chair before the music stops.   Best of luck!

Just went through this with my 2017.  He was starting QB/DE and uncommitted during the season.  It worked out great.  Ended up committing to a D2 after football season ended.  For him, it was a relief to not focus on recruiting for baseball.  He just played football and had fun.  His college baseball coach liked the fact that he played other sports.  Ended up being recruited for football and basketball as well, but decided to play baseball in college.  It was nice for him to not worry about the recruiting process during that time.  

Try not to forget that these are kids still able to play a game with their friends.  Most will never be able to play sports like this ever again, especially with the friends they've grown up with.  It seems too often that I read posts were us well meaning parents (myself included) forget this.  Have faith in whatever your son decides.  I had the same concerns you did.  Because he didn't have much time due to practice and such.  I helped out however I could.  I was also an assistant football coach, like you (defensive coordinator) and had the same thoughts as you do at the time.  

Of course, everyone's situation is different.  Just my experience.  For us, the work was already done to this point.  He played in the tournaments and attended the showcases before his senior year.  There wasn't too much left to do other than wait.  It was just a matter of time / correct placement.  Good luck to you and your son and hopefully the decision you make works out for you.

Appreciate all the responses. Nice to hear so many positive stories. I really am enjoying one more year of football with my son...especially since I am on the field with him as a coach. I think my struggles, and his sometimes, relate to work that is still being put in, at the same time, to be recruited for baseball. Good example was couple of days ago. Full day of classes, followed by a tough 2+ hour football practice, followed immediately by baseball work with pitching coach for another 90 minutes. Will play football next Friday night, then leave early Sat morning for weekend baseball trip. I am trying to do a good job of recognizing that this whole experience could be a lot different; less busy, and less fun if he was not playing football and not on any baseball radar. Your responses have helped a bunch!

coachld posted:

Just curious to find out if there are others out there who have son that decided he wanted to finish out football and play senior season despite making decision to hopefully play college baseball and being in the middle of trying to find a baseball home? Definitely adds a little stress on several fronts but some how we are finding a way to make it all work. Ironically, I am also one of the asst football coaches but made it absolutely clear that I would have no problem if he decided to not play. I actually would have preferred he did not play football and even hinted at that but let the decision up to him. Anyone else going through or been through similar situation?

My son went through this a couple of years ago. Nagging knee injury (PCL) junior year baseball. Tried to get recruited on one leg all summer. Had to change positions from C to 1B, and D1 interest faded. Knee started to heal up in September and he had to chose between hitting the recruiting circuit hard, and quitting football and soccer (kicker/punter/goalkeeper/captain). He never even considered the later, and I didn't try to influence him in either direction. He finished with all-state football and all-conference soccer awards, and loved every minute of it. He would have played basketball, too, but the ortho read him the riot act.

To me it was a blessing in disguise. The only colleges who wanted him at that point were D3 schools who considered him to be a D1 prospect who had fallen through the cracks. They showed the love, and he ended up with a great fit at a perennial top 25 baseball school. This year as a sophomore he made 1st team all-conference and was one win away from a trip to the D3 CWS.

Yes, it's definitely harder to get recruited for baseball senior year while playing football, but it can be done and it can work out well. I think most kids want to play at the highest level possible, and that's a good competitive attitude, but there's also something to be said for playing at a level where you can excel. Circumstances help decide that for every individual. Good luck.

It is nerve-racking to be the parent of a baseball player who wants to play baseball in college, but continues to play football in high school.  My 2019 is a linebacker and plays special teams.  He is trying to get in some baseball workouts, while also playing football and keeping up with school (GPA is 3.95 and he takes AP classes).  He played baseball all summer, and, in fact, missed a lot of summer football practices because he was out of town for baseball.  But now that football is in season, that is the priority.  Yet, this "fall of junior year" is supposed to be important for baseball recruiting.  

He is doing a PG showcase this month that will be on Saturday and Sunday.  We will pick him up after Friday's football game, and drive most of the night to get to the showcase.  It is possible to do this, and I expect he'll do okay, but worried he won't be at his best.  I'm hoping one of these coaches that "love" multi-sport players will notice him there!  LOL!  

While there are a few college camps he'd like to go to this fall, we are leaning toward hanging up baseball after this showcase until football is over.  Only so much one kid can do.      

"Yet, this "fall of junior year" is supposed to be important for baseball recruiting. "

MomLW, I would support viewing this type of "hype" within the context of your son playing football.  Ours did not attempt any type of baseball exposure activity during football season.  There are mental reasons and physical reasons. Being really honest, I tend to think the vast majority of  2 sport athletes would not be able to play a football game on Friday and be baseball ready on Saturday. Even if our son's could do this, we would still need to consider they are back in HS and on a football field on Monday.

The other thing to keep in mind is not all "exposure" can be good exposure.  Expecting our sons to be baseball ready for a showcase on Saturday after football game on Friday night and driving all night, to me at least, could set our son up for "exposure" which isn't good for them or representative of his ability as a potential baseball recruit.

Your son still has his junior season in baseball and the Summer after his junior year to showcase and excel when his focus is on baseball. If he is a solid recruit, he can be seen by plenty of very good schools and programs.

Clearly, I don't know your son, his physical stature or his ability as a baseball player. I can only measure this in the context of our son and others who were 2 sport guys.  My question is whether it is truly realistic (or necessary as a junior in HS)  to think a son can compete in football at the highest level on Friday night and again the following morning and for2 days, but in baseball?

I fully realize you are thinking of this in terms of the exposure being successful.  My candid question is whether that is truly realistic? I wish the very, very best for your son and hope my comments are received in the vein they are offered.

Agree with the above as well. However, in our case, our 2018 RHP is uncommitted and was a really late bloomer...as in the tail end of summer. He is now on radar of D1's that have room for RHP. He could obviously take the fall off and completely focus on football but would definitely hurt his chances with several schools. If he was a 2019, we would more then likely skip some of these events other then PG in October.

coachld posted:

Agree with the above as well. However, in our case, our 2018 RHP is uncommitted and was a really late bloomer...as in the tail end of summer. He is now on radar of D1's that have room for RHP. He could obviously take the fall off and completely focus on football but would definitely hurt his chances with several schools. If he was a 2019, we would more then likely skip some of these events other then PG in October.

Coach, why would playing football hurt his chances as a late bloomer with the D1's? When you say they have "room," is that NLI and scholarship money come November of this year or recruited walk on status?

Are these schools coming on board because he is a later bloomer schools he would have picked before he "bloomed?" If he truly is a later bloomer and still developing with upside, he may end up with more opportunity (but possibly different schools) during the Spring.

Our son had one D1 and one D3 pursue him based on a camp during the Summer after his junior year. During football season and just before the NLI period, the D1 went silent.  Our son chose the D3 route and ended being a pretty key performer in attracting national attention for the program which got them knocking on the door for the national championship, which they eventually achieved.

During the Summer after graduation, he received strong interest from one of the top JC's in CA along with 3 more D1's. He stayed the D3 route, had a wonderful career, played Milb at a high level before an injury and never once regretted he did not have the D1 tag (BTW our son got more transfer opportunities to D1's as a result of Summer Wood bat league performances).

While so many on this board and so much information suggests the need to hurry up or be lost, a player with talent who gets exposure is unlikely to get lost.  For one, I would not let the pressure of "hurry up" get in the way of picking a school which is a great fit.

2018 son is playing his senior season of football. He mainly concentrates on defense as he likes to be the hitter and not the one getting clobbered. Has been a starting linebacker since his junior season. Doesn't leave a lot of time for baseball outreach though. He has an offer to play college baseball. He just needs to figure out if that's the right offer for him. 

The biggest football injury my son had was in the pre-game huddle when all the kids started jumping around. Tweaked his knee pretty good sophomore year. Now, he stays to the back of the pack during that huddle. 

infielddad posted:
coachld posted:

Coach, why would playing football hurt his chances as a late bloomer with the D1's? When you say they have "room," is that NLI and scholarship money come November of this year or recruited walk on status?

Are these schools coming on board because he is a later bloomer schools he would have picked before he "bloomed?" If he truly is a later bloomer and still developing with upside, he may end up with more opportunity (but possibly different schools) during the Spring.

Our son had one D1 and one D3 pursue him based on a camp during the Summer after his junior year. During football season and just before the NLI period, the D1 went silent.  Our son chose the D3 route and ended being a pretty key performer in attracting national attention for the program which got them knocking on the door for the national championship, which they eventually achieved.

During the Summer after graduation, he received strong interest from one of the top JC's in CA along with 3 more D1's. He stayed the D3 route, had a wonderful career, played Milb at a high level before an injury and never once regretted he did not have the D1 tag (BTW our son got more transfer opportunities to D1's as a result of Summer Wood bat league performances).

While so many on this board and so much information suggests the need to hurry up or be lost, a player with talent who gets exposure is unlikely to get lost.  For one, I would not let the pressure of "hurry up" get in the way of picking a school which is a great fit.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, he is definitely a late bloomer with upside. The schools that are showing interest now were definitely not schools that he was looking at even as late as tail end of summer. To be honest, neither him or myself considered these schools because we thought they were out of his league and at the time they probably were. At end of summer, we found a pitching coach who has transformed his life...not only on the field but personally as well. This same pitching coach is also very well connected and has opened up doors for my son to play with some of the best club teams in the country during a couple of tournaments this fall.  He has also helped open doors at some high level D1 programs.  My son now has a different list of schools and the one at top of list is a high academic Power 5. They lose very few players to the draft and/or players who decommit. So with them, we may find out it is too late. We will know more soon. I do understand and agree that there will continue to be D1's who have needs all the way through spring of 2018. We are just trying to do best job to find his dream school in terms of both academics and baseball. Hope that all that rambling makes sense.

Thanks Coach,

Sounds like your son has truly gone through a baseball and non-baseball transformation.  Please don't think I am a skeptic by asking some questions. I am only trying to balance what I know is the thrill and excitement with some hard reality our sons find on a college baseball field.

After reading your post, my core question is whether  your son can truly compete at the levels which are now starting to open up to him based on what I assume are velocity changes and bullpens. Can he get  get outs against very high level competition, which it sounds like he never faced before this very recent development. Have you or your son watched the Power 5 in action and see what level of production and success is "demanded" to get innings

In my view and experience, it isn't who likes your son, it is where can your son get on the mound, get outs and succeed, if he has not experienced that environment before.

I know it can happen and will use Chris Lambert (from a few years back) as an example.  Chris did quite well at BC after being discovered very late (late into the Summer before college started..he was actually going to play hockey before pitching got in the way). I also know of players/pitchers who got overwhelmed at the college level in somewhat similar situations.

While I can appreciate the thrill and emotions of the things opening up to your son, the contrast of what can be harsh reality in college baseball is a major factor to consider. I don't clearly have an answer but would ask and that is whether  your son is physically and more importantly mentally and emotionally ready to commit and then  succeed at levels which it sounds like could be quite new to him?

Good luck! Hope I am helping. I really am cheering for you and your son!

Last edited by infielddad

I appreciate your responses and don't think you are being skeptical at all. You are asking the tough questions that most don't ask. I agree with much of what you have said and there are most definitely questions we are going to sit down and discuss in the near future.

I will spare you the long story about his history as a pitcher but suffice to say it has been filled with far more low's then high's from a very young age.  I was not really sure it would ever click for him until we were introduced to his pitching coach. Amazing man who has also done incredible things for my son in regards to the mental side of the game along with a few minor tweaks in his mechanics that have improved his velo and command (significantly.  For the first time in his baseball playing days, he is extremely confident on the mound. If I had not seen him throw against a handful of 2018 Power 5 recruits at a recent prospect camp and competed (even though he is not a full-time baseball player yet) then my son and I would be discussing many of the questions you noted. However, I am making a judgement call and not talking about anything related to his ability to compete at the highest level. I am doing just the opposite. I am reminding him that he is good enough. He has a couple of big opportunities coming up to pitch against some talented baseball players. As I am sure you can understand, the last thing I want to do right now is talk about whether he good enough to to play high level baseball. If things don't work out, then we will most certainly sit down and ask those tough questions.

Thanks again and appreciate your support!!

Thanks Coach. Great information.

Our children can do this.

A couple of anecdotal stories: our daughter had a passion for swimming but despite her dedication and massive yards, she was good but not in a  place to be toward the top in US Swimming. Around age 15 she changed coaches and within 12 months was the 2nd ranked 200 HS backstroker in the US

Our son, like yours was a late bloomer so his opportunities for college came even later than for your son. Like I said, he was a D3 kid. After his sophomore year in college, he got placed in the NECBL and got to play Team USA. Batted leadoff and sent the first pitch 96mph fastball right by ear of the projected #1 MLB draft choice. It was amazing how confident he became as a baseball only guy and truly did thrive on proving the D3 guy could compete with any of them.

Of course I have a prejudice to the ball going toward the pitcher!

I sure hope the best for your son.  This can happen!  He has a long way to go, for sure.  It sounds like he has a great Dad who knows how to support him along that not so straight path! 

MomLW posted:

It is nerve-racking to be the parent of a baseball player who wants to play baseball in college, but continues to play football in high school.  My 2019 is a linebacker and plays special teams.  He is trying to get in some baseball workouts, while also playing football and keeping up with school (GPA is 3.95 and he takes AP classes).  He played baseball all summer, and, in fact, missed a lot of summer football practices because he was out of town for baseball.  But now that football is in season, that is the priority.  Yet, this "fall of junior year" is supposed to be important for baseball recruiting.  

He is doing a PG showcase this month that will be on Saturday and Sunday.  We will pick him up after Friday's football game, and drive most of the night to get to the showcase.  It is possible to do this, and I expect he'll do okay, but worried he won't be at his best.  I'm hoping one of these coaches that "love" multi-sport players will notice him there!  LOL!  

While there are a few college camps he'd like to go to this fall, we are leaning toward hanging up baseball after this showcase until football is over.  Only so much one kid can do.      

We did the same last weekend....fri pm football game, drove to Dallas afterwards for a 6 am flight...then played all weekend in Phoenix in ...on Saturday he fell asleep about 4 pm and woke up the next morning at 6 am....so let him sleep, he'll really need it...but it is doable for sure...but its tough....

RJM posted:

I'm all for kids having the full high school experience. Being a senior is a big deal. But a kid can not go out on the football field thinking about how not to get injured. It's either all in or get off the field.

Stuff happens. Live your life. The only time my son missed from sports was due to a baseball injury and the following rehab. Baseball isn't where you would have expected him to get injured.

Could not agree more with this.....my son was a left handed pitcher and played first and could hit...had the opportunity to start as QB as a sophomore. Many of my baseball friends thought I was nuts to let him play football because they would tell me he had a chance to play D1 baseball. Why risk let him getting hurt playing football.

I really could not see myself not letting him enjoy the experience of playing under the Friday night lights. Plus it was not my decision. Guess what broke collar bone ( left shoulder) after 5th game his sophomore year Guess what he healed. Went on to start as QB his junior year and senior year.  Guess what he received  scholarship to play D1 baseball.

I agree play as many sports as you can.....you can get injured in many ways.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.