Skip to main content

brball posted:
hshuler posted:
brball posted:

Stros v Dodgers, barring a miracle!

You sure 'bout that? :-)

Miracles do happen and the Yankees are starting to hit on all cylinders when it counts... geez, they’re are crazy good when they hit. We could see Stros v Yankees in the ALCS for the next several years!

Just like the Cleveland series the Yankees could have easily won the first two games. Plus they have an outstanding bullpen. 

Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if any of the eight teams won the WS, save the D'backs. 

Last edited by hshuler
hshuler posted:
brball posted:
hshuler posted:
brball posted:

Miracles do happen and the Yankees are starting to hit on all cylinders when it counts... geez, they’re are crazy good when they hit. We could see Stros v Yankees in the ALCS for the next several years!

Just like the Cleveland series the Yankees could have easily won the first two games. Plus they have an outstanding bullpen. 

Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if any of the eight teams won the WA, save the D'backs. 

You mean the WS not WA, correct? Damn those big fingers huh? I actually had the D’backs as my Cinderella, but they never got to that status. I like them moving forward in the next year or so though! 

Lets try this again, Dodgers v ?... barring no miracle, just the winner at this point. Gotta like the Stros with the starting pitching they have set up though!

Thoughts?

Go44dad posted:
fenwaysouth posted:

As good as the Astros are, the Yankees (and Girardi) are impressing me a lot....which is really difficult realization for me.   I underestimated the Yankee's (so did Cleveland) pitching staff and their lineup despite some rookie players who get all the headlines and strikeouts to go with it.  I guess Maddux and Glavine said it best...."Chicks dig the long ball", but what wasn't stated is that managers hate the 200+ strikeouts per year.   There is a enough Yankkee offensive fire power to make up for those 2-3 rookie strikeouts per playoff game against the best pitching in the MLB.  Possibly there is a silver lining....he isn't hitting into doubleplays.

Whatever happens, the Yankees have demonstrated they have rebuilt and are more than competitive.  They are going to get better which is going to make the AL East a tougher place to be.   

The Astros just look like a better all-around team at this point in time.  We'll see how they do at Yankee stadium.  I'm looking forward to it.

As far as the NLCS goes.....meh.  I want to see Dave Roberts succeed.   Lord knows I've seen enough of the Joe Maddon schtick over the years.    As far as the teams go, I just can't seem to get into it yet.

Astros fan and long time despiser of the evil empire.  I like the young players on the Yankees. They will be a force to reckon with for years. Baseball is in a great era right now of young stars. Good times!

I would like to retract my "Good times!" statement and anything positive I said about the Yankees.  If the Astros blow this, I am moving next door to RJM and buying Celtic, Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins jersey's.  I just want a baseball or football championship before I die.

brball posted:
hshuler posted:
brball posted:
hshuler posted:
brball posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if any of the eight teams won the WA, save the D'backs. 

You mean the WS not WA, correct? Damn those big fingers huh? I actually had the D’backs as my Cinderella, but they never got to that status. I like them moving forward in the next year or so though! 

Lets try this again, Dodgers v ?... barring no miracle, just the winner at this point. Gotta like the Stros with the starting pitching they have set up though!

Thoughts?

Yep. Fat fingered it. 

D'back just need to bulk up the bullpen and they'll be poised to compete for a 'ship. 

I'll bite. Dodgers/'stros with 'stros winning in six. 

I originally thought the Dodgers/Cubs would go 6, but think that series will be closed out tonight. The Cubs are just playing bad baseball right now. I admit that I am sort of a bandwagon Cub fan, and even I was embarrassed last night.   

I had not seen too many Astro games until the playoffs and did not realize how bad their bullpen was. They are very talented team, but tightly played championship games eventually come down to the bullpen, and I think because of this I think they are in trouble. This series could go either way. 

hshuler posted:

Houston, we have a problem! Not really - just win all of your home games. 

Verlander isn't the worst guy you can have throwing in a "likely" elimination game. 

There is definitely a problem... Verlander will be fine, but stros will lose in 7. Stankees just to hot right now!

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but the Yankees are primed to win it as far as I’m concerned... Please tell me I’m wrong???

brball posted:

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but the Yankees are primed to win it as far as I’m concerned... Please tell me I’m wrong???

Yes, you are wrong and sadly I've become a Dodger fan in preparation for a Dodgers/Yankees scrap in the World Series.  There is no more crying myself to sleep and avoiding the inevitable.   The Astros look beaten and the Dodgers are better than the Cubs.

I know BOF and StrainedOblique are going to welcome me and provide me a temporary visa to Dodgernation.   Go Dodgers and please pass the sushi!   ;-)

Image result for dodger image

Last edited by fenwaysouth

definitely a great postseason. all 4 Teams are really good. astros and dodgers both won 100 games. Yankees weren't so great by result but their pythagoran record also Points to 100 wins so they were somewhat unlucky. cubs also would have been  a 100 win Team if not for their terrible first half. now a season has two halfs but the cubs clearly were playing below their Talent so I would consider their first half random.

BOF - Awesome directions!   I'm on my way....using the HSBBWeb mobile app.   I should be there by game 7 if the Wash DC traffic isn't too bad.   Got my (somewhat) Dodger blue ready to go to the ballpark or a Hollywood party.  A tip of the cap to Dodgernation for welcoming me for the rest of October, and my keen sense of fashion.

Image result for dumb and dumber moped

Got a favor to ask....can you introduce me to one of the celebrity Dodger faithful...like Matthew McConaughey?  He is an awesome actor in those Lincoln commercials.  I really admire his car starting skills, expressions, and his "cool LA" ability to fall back in a pool of water. https://www.ranker.com/list/ce...ger-fans/sports-fans

Last edited by fenwaysouth
fenwaysouth posted:

Got a favor to ask....can you introduce me to one of the celebrity Dodger faithful...like Matthew McConaughey?  He is an awesome actor in those Lincoln commercials.  I really admire his car starting skills and expressions. 

Side benefit... you can sit anywhere you want up until the 5th inning. That's when their "fans" start showing up.

MidAtlanticDad posted:
fenwaysouth posted:

Got a favor to ask....can you introduce me to one of the celebrity Dodger faithful...like Matthew McConaughey?  He is an awesome actor in those Lincoln commercials.  I really admire his car starting skills and expressions. 

One of my sons likes to point out it looks like he's always rolling a boogie with his fingertips.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Cubs-Dodgers series showed two key flaws with the Cubs method of operations:

Dodgers held onto a vast majority of their top prospects over the last 3-4 years and are built to contend now for several years moving forwards.  The Cubs gutted their farm system and are facing a tough situation needing to almost completely rebuild their pitching staff in an offseason where there is not elite starting pitching available via free agency.  

The Cubs offense is way too "all or nothing" relying on the HR.  They are the most "elevate to celebrate" team I've ever seen.  This flawed approach can catch lightning in a bottle once when everyone gets hot at once but is not a sustained plan for success year after year in postseason Baseball.  They literally could not manufacture runs other than HR's

I hope my Brewers take note.  They, also, kept most of their prospects instead of selling out for short term success.  However, they rely too much on the HR as well.  You gotta have some players who make contact, get on base and create runs in the postseason especially.

Heard Peter Gammons on the radio this morning talking about how Roberts sets up his bullpen. Thought it was pretty interesting. Rather than have his guys "assigned" to an inning, the bullpen guys are told which players they are intended to face. Maeda knew before the game even started that he was likely to go against Russell/Baez/Contreras (or another 3-in-a-row righty combo, don't precisely remember). Allows him to develop a game plan, and to study video, etc. on specific victims rather than just being told an inning...

Wonder if we'll see more of this in the future, or stick with the high/low leverage process.

I think many teams will copy that since LA had the best bullpen this season.  The only issue they had was Baez performing poorly in Sept/Oct.  Every fan was suddenly turning on Roberts and Baez you'd think we were in NY.  I questioned him using Maeda for just a single inning every time but he's got so many good pitchers.  That kid last night I hadn't seen this post season looked like a young Roger Clemens.  

Florida State Fan posted:

Yankees - Dodgers.

Yankees in 6.

Go Yanks!

This is tough, though...Son grew up with Kershaw, played both with & against in various years, 10-18 yrs.  (as well as Matt Stafford, NFL quarterback)....But drafted by Yankees 2010 & MLB debut in 2013...

SO....

Last edited by baseballmom
3and2Fastball posted:

Cubs-Dodgers series showed two key flaws with the Cubs method of operations:

Dodgers held onto a vast majority of their top prospects over the last 3-4 years and are built to contend now for several years moving forwards.  The Cubs gutted their farm system and are facing a tough situation needing to almost completely rebuild their pitching staff in an offseason where there is not elite starting pitching available via free agency.  

The Cubs offense is way too "all or nothing" relying on the HR.  They are the most "elevate to celebrate" team I've ever seen.  This flawed approach can catch lightning in a bottle once when everyone gets hot at once but is not a sustained plan for success year after year in postseason Baseball.  They literally could not manufacture runs other than HR's

I hope my Brewers take note.  They, also, kept most of their prospects instead of selling out for short term success.  However, they rely too much on the HR as well.  You gotta have some players who make contact, get on base and create runs in the postseason especially.

Give my White Sox a few more years - we'll be back and the Cubs will be a distant memory. That said, love Rizzo. Talented and a class act. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.