Skip to main content

Thanks to all who sent information, and for being patient.  I am still mad at myself for not saving as a draft and not checking that my post actually posted to the board.

This will be the first of 2 posts. I just wanted to get something up on the board.

Parents seem to be overwhelmed with the process, and frequently ask questions as to what makes a good offer.  What makes an offer good, is not always the $$ but how comfortable the player and his family feel with different factors regarding the choice. Geography, family finances, area of study ( besides baseball) and prospect status all affect choices. Not all players are alike, and not all coaches want the same type of player. 

I received over 50 replies, some included more than one player per family, but narrowed down to 47 for specific reasons, mostly due to time lines and the division was left out. I did not use any information from any D1 player that did not attend or play before new D1 scholarship guidelines came into affect  (that I was aware) and any player that was drafted and signed a professional contract and committed to play D1. Though understandably those scholarship opportunities were lucrative. It pays to have options.

I did not breakdown public or private institution as not all offered that information.

I did slightly change some information so that it was unrecognizable  for privacy.

In a few situations, scholarships were awarded based on different % amounts per year. Please note that although this seems to be an increasing way to get players to sign, this is not an approved practice by the NCAA. Scholarships are renewable and for one year, except within those conferences approved for guaranteed 4 years, and even then let the buyer beware. 

The breakdown includes as follows and includes players that are recently committed, currently a member of a team or have been a member: 47 players total.  32 D1, 5 D2, 7 D3, 3 Juco. 

D1 scholarships ranged from 0 (walk on) to 100% (1 full athletic),  the rest were either combination of athletic, athletic alone,   2 needs based and 2 based on OOS, most based on COA but 2 for tuition only.

D2 included a JUCO transfer. All D2 players received scholarships in either academic only, combination and ranged from 25% to 90%.

D3 included 2 players on 100% parent scholarships, one of which will attend a NESCAC program and ranged from 30% to 97%.

Juco included 2 non transfer current players, 1 d1 transfer while one  4 2 4 transfer was counted in another group.

29 of the 47 players are pitchers. 21 are RHP,  6 LHP and 2 were not identified either way.  If your son is a 2 way player, understand that pitchers have more opportunities available.

Next, breakdown percentages and conferences.

Last edited by TPM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TPM posted:

Thanks to all who sent information, and for being patient.  I am still mad at myself for not saving as a draft and not checking that my post actually posted to the board.

This will be the first of 2 posts. I just wanted to get something up on the board.

Parents seem to be overwhelmed with the process, and frequently ask questions as to what makes a good offer.  What makes an offer good, is not always the $$ but how comfortable the player and his family feel with different factors regarding the choice. Geography, family finances, area of study ( besides baseball) and prospect status all affect choices. Not all players are alike, and not all coaches want the same type of player. 

I received over 50 replies, some included more than one player per family, but narrowed down to 47 for specific reasons, mostly due to time lines and the division was left out. I did not use any information from any D1 player that did not attend or play before new D1 scholarship guidelines came into affect  (that I was aware) and any player that was drafted and signed a professional contract and committed to play D1. Though understandably those scholarship opportunities were lucrative. It pays to have options.

I did not breakdown public or private institution as not all offered that information.

I did slightly change some information so that it was unrecognizable  for privacy.

In a few situations, scholarships were awarded based on different % amounts per year. Please note that although this seems to be an increasing way to get players to sign, this is not an approved practice by the NCAA. Scholarships are renewable and for one year, except within those conferences approved for guaranteed 4 years, and even then let the buyer beware. Because of this

The breakdown includes as follows and includes players that are recently committed, currently a member of a team or have been a member: 47 players total.  32 D1, 5 D2, 7 D3, 3 Juco. 

D1 scholarships ranged from 0 (walk on) to 100% (1 full athletic),  the rest were either combination of athletic, athletic alone,   2 needs based and 2 based on OOS, most based on COA but 2 for tuition only.

D2 included a JUCO transfer. All D2 players received scholarships in either academic only, combination and ranged from 25% to 90%.

D3 included 2 players on 100% parent scholarships, one of which an NESCAC, and ranged from 30% to 97%.

Juco included 2 non transfer current players, 1 d1 transfer while one  4 2 4 transfer was counted in another group.

29 of the 47 players are pitchers. 21 are RHP,  6 LHP and 2 were not identified either way.  If your son is a 2 way player, understand that pitchers have more opportunities available.

thanks for doing this.

TPM posted:

In a few situations, scholarships were awarded based on different % amounts per year. Please note that although this seems to be an increasing way to get players to sign, this is not an approved practice by the NCAA. Scholarships are renewable and for one year, except within those conferences approved for guaranteed 4 years, and even then let the buyer beware. 

D3 included 2 players on 100% parent scholarships, one of which will attend a NESCAC program and ranged from 30% to 97%.

I also appreciate your effort in compiling this.  However, I have questions.  I have bolded the areas in your post that my questions pertain to.

Please define:

OOS:

COA:

4 2 4 transfer:

When you talked about D2, I didn't understand, were they ALL academic only, or was there athletic as well?

Thank you again for doing this.

Sorry. Haven't been on here much.

Haven't forgotten have had hiccups along the way, personal stuff, one included has been I had been ill for about a month and now nearing the end of works busiest season.  Seems like every time I sit down something happens. 

Again, I apologize, bear with me.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.