Skip to main content

Gov posted:

2018 works with a Cressey trained guy as well.

COACHLD, I haven't seen anybody say upper body strength is a bad thing for a baseball player.  It's a key part of overall strength and conditioning for a ball player.  A few people have suggested using caution with the trainer your kid is signed up with.  Is the trainer dialed into baseball functional strength and workout protocols.  Some upper body strength moves (military press ?) aren't necessarily appropriate for an overhead athlete.  Cressey has really increased awareness levels for athletes, the athlete parents, as well as trainers. As long as we're all educating ourselves and passing on good information.

My boys have attended a well funded HS program, but the HS strength and conditioning coach is a know it all and his workout programs are tailored to football guys, he wasn't even receptive to an adjustment to the upper body strength program which might be applicable to baseball guys.  This guy totally screwed up one of our star baseball players a few years ago, went too heavy on the upper back and chest, lacked symmetry with his muscular development, reduced the players throwing movement, the player looked liked a short arm shot put guy.  Helped the kid win state in wrestling so not the end for him, but this scenario really opened up the eyes of all involved in baseball.  All of sudden everybody knew who Cressey was...  

Gov is spot on. Our well funded HS has awesome facilities but turn key workouts that are driven by football strength and conditioning staff. My son goes to these workouts but doesn't do the football focused portions and does his Cressey program.  

Gov posted:

2018 works with a Cressey trained guy as well.

COACHLD, I haven't seen anybody say upper body strength is a bad thing for a baseball player.  It's a key part of overall strength and conditioning for a ball player.  A few people have suggested using caution with the trainer your kid is signed up with.  Is the trainer dialed into baseball functional strength and workout protocols.  Some upper body strength moves (military press ?) aren't necessarily appropriate for an overhead athlete.  Cressey has really increased awareness levels for athletes, the athlete parents, as well as trainers. As long as we're all educating ourselves and passing on good information.

My boys have attended a well funded HS program, but the HS strength and conditioning coach is a know it all and his workout programs are tailored to football guys, he wasn't even receptive to an adjustment to the upper body strength program which might be applicable to baseball guys.  This guy totally screwed up one of our star baseball players a few years ago, went too heavy on the upper back and chest, lacked symmetry with his muscular development, reduced the players throwing movement, the player looked liked a short arm shot put guy.  Helped the kid win state in wrestling so not the end for him, but this scenario really opened up the eyes of all involved in baseball.  All of sudden everybody knew who Cressey was...  

Guess I was really responding to the comment about too much upper body work restricting a players throwing motion along with another post that recommended more work on the backside of the body. I just struggle when people start talking about baseball players avoiding certain exercises or focusing on certain areas of the body. That is not how it works. It is about assessing and working on balance. The body is a compensating machine. If you avoid certain exercises (that are safe for baseball players) and/or focus on certain parts of the body, there is a good chance a player will develop an imbalance. When that happens, compensation kicks in which makes injury more likely. 

BTW I think throwing is not a balanced movement and a balanced Body might not be ideal for it. Pro pitchers often have "bad posture" and hypermobility in some Joints and directions and a lack of mobility in others. I think to some degree that can boost Performance but if it is overdone it can lead to injury. Of course ideallly you want that well balanced Body but that might not be ideal to throw 95+.

so pitchers probably do Need to find a happy medium between a well balanced Body and the quite asymmetric Needs for flexibility and strength in high Level throwing.

the typical well balanced strong and athletic Body can't do this so I think with pitchers it is always a compromise between being symmetric and well balanced and having that insane asymmetric flexibility and specific strength.

Last edited by Dominik85
Dominik85 posted:

BTW I think throwing is not a balanced movement and a balanced Body might not be ideal for it. Pro pitchers often have "bad posture" and hypermobility in some Joints and directions and a lack of mobility in others. I think to some degree that can boost Performance but if it is overdone it can lead to injury. Of course ideallly you want that well balanced Body but that might not be ideal to throw 95+.

so pitchers probably do Need to find a happy medium between a well balanced Body and the quite asymmetric Needs for flexibility and strength in high Level throwing.

the typical well balanced strong and athletic Body can't do this so I think with pitchers it is always a compromise between being symmetric and well balanced and having that insane asymmetric flexibility and specific strength.

Not sure I am following you. Hyper mobility can be beneficial but then we should be working on stability. Asymmetry is common but if not addressed, injury is likely at some point down the road.

coachld posted:
Dominik85 posted:

Not sure I am following you. Hyper mobility can be beneficial but then we should be working on stability. Asymmetry is common but if not addressed, injury is likely at some point down the road.

I think you meant to say "injury is HIGHLY likely down the road.

I've seen a slew of them!  Athletes who think they are in tip top shape pull a tendon off their hip, or need knee surgery because too much pressure was on one side, weak hips, ankles not taking the weight properly and on and on. Most of which would have been addressed had they seen someone with a clue and worked on the weaknesses and imbalances :-(

Big, muscular, well built, and ripped does not always = strongest. In some cases it does, but sometimes a smaller guy or pudgier guy can be the strongest. Doesn't make the strong guy the best baseball player or football player or whatever sport. Powerlifters are usually much stronger for 1 rep max than bodybuilders, but rarely look as muscular.

Stanton, for instance, looks physically better than anyone in baseball. But Justin Bour may be stronger. And Cameron Rupp may be stronger than both. Who knows??? Maybe Eric Thames or Kole Calhoun are the strongest.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.