Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Truth be told, never saw the man pitch live.  Never went out of my way to watch him on TV, but was a fan simply because of an afternoon spent in the local barber shop “waiting my turn.“  When my turn came I was well into a dog eared 2010 Sports Illustrated article on a pitcher named Roy Halladay; so I passed and let the next guy go, then the next, and the next.  Didn’t want to stop reading about his journey.

The relationship he had with his dad growing up is what stayed with me most. His dad, also a pilot, set up a 60’ bullpen and a batting cage in their Colorado basement for the young Roy to explore baseball and pitching.  Dad provided his son with a simple gift, and the son ran with it.  

Nothing else to say.

https://www.si.com/vault/2010/...0/what-makes-roy-run

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

This is terrible news. I talked to Roy many times and always amazed at how humble he was. We would talk about pitching and he would act like we were equal in knowledge, truth is I learned a lot from him. His son attended several PG events and Roy never asked for any favors. I feel so bad for Roy's son, family and friends. 

Times like this which seem to come way too often are a reminder for all of us. Each day is a gift. Live it to the fullest extent possible. Never miss an opportunity to let those you love know you love them. Never miss an opportunity to make someone else's day a little bit better. Prayers for his family and loved one's. Life is short no matter how long you get.

#1 Assistant Coach posted:

Truth be told, never saw the man pitch live.  Never went out of my way to watch him on TV, but was a fan simply because of an afternoon spent in the local barber shop “waiting my turn. “ When my turn came I was well into a dog eared 2010 Sports Illustrated article on a pitcher named Roy Halladay; so I passed and let the next guy go, then the next, and the next.  Didn’t want to stop reading about his journey.

The relationship he had with his dad growing up is what stayed with me most. His dad, also a pilot, set up a 60’ bullpen and a batting cage in their Colorado basement for the young Roy to explore baseball and pitching.  Dad provided his son with a simple gift, and the son ran with it.  

Nothing else to say.

https://www.si.com/vault/2010/...0/what-makes-roy-run

Me too on the article.  2010, waiting for the doc to see my old right shoulder.

I was watching TV last night & my son came down & went in the small bedroom, off the living room, which used to be his & is now just storage & a treadmill room. I am sitting there wondering what in the world is he doing in there? He was in for about 5 minutes & came out & said, "Roy Halladay is dead, plane crash."

In his old room is a Giant Fat Head Poster of Roy Halladay, his favorite & first pitcher he ever watched on TV when he was 9.

Dominik85 posted:

Now there are stories out there he crashed doing dangerous stunts with his plane. 

As a pilot myself I'll say this. The plane he was in and owned, the Icon A5, is marketed for "fun", low altitude plane for flying off of the water by inexperienced pilots. There been a lot of debate among pilots that this was a bad idea from the start. From what I've read Halladay has been a pilot for about a year but has done a ton of flying and training in that time. Flying is very unforgiving of mistakes, and at low altitude there's no room for error. From the video he was not doing "dangerous stunts" considering the plane.

I don't think he was an irresponsible person but I could see how an elite athlete who probably was the best at every physical activity since he was 8 could overestimate himself. I don't mean he thought it came easy without work and he probably did  work very hard and was excellent for the short time but maybe he still overestimated his progess a little.

It's been a little over a year since Jose Fernandez lost his life in a very reckless boating accident, killing two others.

After seeing the video today of the accident, and eyewitness reports, I have come to my own conclusion that both of these men were not deserving of their fate, but rather irresponsible in their actions.

This reminds me of Oscar Taveras who died in a car crash, killing his babys mother. These men had everything to live for, everything. It's so sad, for those family members left behind.

The radio host has since apologized for his insensitive remarks.

Last edited by TPM
TPM posted:

It's been a little over a year since Jose Fernandez lost his life in a very reckless boating accident, killing two others.

After seeing the video today of the accident, and eyewitness reports, I have come to my own conclusion that both of these men were not deserving of their fate, but rather irresponsible in their actions.

This reminds me of Oscar Taveras who died in a car crash, killing his babys mother. These men had everything to live for, everything. It's so sad, for those family members left behind.

to be fair halladay wasn't drunk or put other People at risk so it wasn't quite the same.

There are numerous people who lose their life and one could say they in some way contributed to that happening. It doesn't change the fact the they are no longer with us. It certainly offers no comfort to the loved ones. The truth is most if not all of us are simply lucky we are still here. We are all irresponsible people. Some are just more irresponsible and some are simply less fortunate. Living life completely in the safe lane is not living life. JMO

Dominik85 posted:
TPM posted:

to be fair halladay wasn't drunk or put other People at risk so it wasn't quite the same.

Agree on that point. However reports from locals has been that he showed erratic flying ( described as showing off) with the plane recently. 

He did put people at risk, his wife, his children, rest of his family, his friends, his fans for losing someone so important in their lives.

Last year, my daughter's boyfriend's kids lost their mother. A very, very successful business woman who got involved in relationships with the wrong men, was shot at point blank range with an illegally owned AK47, by her fiance. She was warned repeatedly to end the relationship, before something bad happened. 

This reckless behavior on her part caused such unimaginable sadness, seriously, you can't imagine the mess she left behind, which did affect others, directly and indirectly.

While I understand people have to live their lives the way they want, people are still dependent upon us to make responsible decisions.

That's how I have learned to live my live and pass this to my children. Your actions don't just affect you, but others.  

As a wife, mother, daughter, sister, I have responsibilities to others.   

I can't imagine the grief that comes with losing a loved one in this way.  

It doesnt take away how very sad I am.

JMO

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.