Skip to main content

By no means am I upset or sad that this happened just curious. My INF velocity generally varied I was between 80-83mph. I have been doing strength training for about two months and we just did testing and my INF velo is up to 89mph. I have a smaller frame about 5'9'' and the reason I ask is because I have been told to keep an eye out as I could face problems on my arm with such a velo jump in short time?. Any thoughts?

Thank you

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Worry when your arm strength doesn't increase. You are getting the results you wanted. Be happy about it. What's the alternative? Stop working to increase velo and play it safe? You will never strike out if you don't play. You will never need TJ if you stop throwing things. Of course you won't be playing baseball either. Good luck

I've seen parents fret that their kids are so attractive that all the dating attention they get is taking time away from their school studies.  I've never understood that.  Would you rather they are ugly so they could more focus on school?

To the young man in question here, Coach May offers good advice.  Keep building up all your tools including arm strength, body strength, and foot speed.  Do all these things to the best of your ability, get in front of college coaches, and let the chips fall where they may.  80-83 is decent infield velocity but 89 is outstanding.

ClevelandDad posted:

I've seen parents fret that their kids are so attractive that all the dating attention they get is taking time away from their school studies.  I've never understood that.  Would you rather they are ugly so they could more focus on school?

To the young man in question here, Coach May offers good advice.  Keep building up all your tools including arm strength, body strength, and foot speed.  Do all these things to the best of your ability, get in front of college coaches, and let the chips fall where they may.  80-83 is decent infield velocity but 89 is outstanding.

I had far too much time to focus on school. :-(

~Ugly Guy

BaseballAddict1020 posted:

By no means am I upset or sad that this happened just curious. My INF velocity generally varied I was between 80-83mph. I have been doing strength training for about two months and we just did testing and my INF velo is up to 89mph. I have a smaller frame about 5'9'' and the reason I ask is because I have been told to keep an eye out as I could face problems on my arm with such a velo jump in short time?. Any thoughts?

Thank you

It was early in sons Junior year when out of the blue his IF velo went from 83 to 88, and it happened at a PBR event...he, we, were all shocked...but, he had been putting in the time and effort, he got up to 90 quickly in the next few months.  

Congratulations, you've been rewarded for your efforts.

I agree with what others are saying here but I will say this:

"...with great power comes great responsibility."

That quote is true in so much of life.  How it applies to your situation is this:  the harder you throw the more chance of injury.  Getting up to 89 means you now have the responsibility to take even more great care of your arm.  Make sure you are getting fully warmed up before throwing and before throwing at max effort.  Make sure you have sufficient rest and recovery.  Make sure you are continuing to monitor throwing mechanics.  Make sure you are taking in proper nutrition.  All of those things take on greater importance now.

You needn't be worried.  But you should be aware of greater responsibility.  That arm can take you places.  Take care of it!

hshuler posted:
ClevelandDad posted:

~Ugly Guy

But, Shu, look at the bright side. Your grades were good!

smokeminside posted:
hshuler posted:
ClevelandDad posted:

~Ugly Guy

There’s a quote that says “Extremes are easy, strive for balance.” :-)

BASEBALLADDICT,

Congratulations on your improvement.

Take care of yourself and enjoy the game.

If you don't take care of yourself you might fail.

If you don't enjoy the game you will probably fail.

If you fear playing the game you WILL fail.

Justin Upton via video told all our All American players this...

Everyone loves playing the games, but more important is do you love working to get better.

Arm injuries can happen to anyone, but the majority, by far, happen to pitchers.  You just don't see many infielders having TJ Surgery.  BTW, Carlos Correa could throw the ball 97 mph across the infield when he was in HS and do it with normal shortstop actions.  Use your arm the right way, he didn't throw 97 except for when he needed it.  You don't need your best velocity that often, but it sure is nice to have it when it is needed. Carlos threw 90 on the mound at a very young age.  At one event I asked him if he wanted to pitch an inning.  By that time I thought he might throw mid 90s if not better.   He smiled and told me, he quit trying to pitch and decided that he will never pitch again.  I guess he was right about that.

Best of luck and keep working.

hshuler posted:
smokeminside posted:
hshuler posted:
ClevelandDad posted:

~Ugly Guy

What’s this balance you speak of?

brball posted:
hshuler posted:
smokeminside posted:
hshuler posted:
ClevelandDad posted:

~Ugly Guy

What’s this balance you speak of?

F72D13F9-E6CD-48D7-9E55-6D40D7F924C8

Attachments

Images (1)
  • F72D13F9-E6CD-48D7-9E55-6D40D7F924C8

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.