Skip to main content

StrainedOblique posted:

Most D-1 Scholarships are renewable annually . They are only guaranteed for 1 year. Did the NCAA modify the rules recently ? YES . But that only applies to very small number of schools . There are 300 D1 programs . Most aren't even fully funded ( 11.5 ) .... Put another way only about 35-45 schools were fully funded last year.

As far as guarantees and cuts. As was already mentioned NLI money is guaranteed for 1 year. They can't take that away from you. As far as baseball goes , The only guarantee is that NCAA coaches are going to roster spot guys that they believe can help them win . Period.

Look at it this way, NCAA D1 ball couldn't survive without non-baseball money academic money guys . Coastal won it all 2 years ago with 5 starters that didn't have any baseball money.

The point is there are no guarantees . A baseball scholarship gets you a ticket to the dance. Nothing more . And when you get there the dance floor is FULL . Guys have to perform immediately when they get on campus for fall ball. And generally , that only buys you a playing option. Meaning , you're an option at your position because freshman don't start at quality D1 programs . Or let me rephrase that , 1 or maybe 2 freshman might start out of the 9-10 that are coming in to the program. Freshman learn how to sit their first year. And if you see maybe 20-30 AB's your first year consider yourself lucky.

True that.

rynoattack posted:
Shoveit4Ks posted:
Nuke83 posted:
roothog66 posted:

So, if you're on scholarship, but get "cut," you have to be on the roster if you're in school. If you're at a P5 with a 4-year scholly, I assume a coach that wants a player gone wouldn't cut them but rather make them attend every practice, give them no playing time and not put them on the travel roster.

Actually playing out at my son's school now.  P5, scholarship freshman cut after fall.  Was pitcher, but injury has basically ended his playing career.  Kid has chosen to remain at the school as a student.

He'll continue to get his athletic scholarship AND take one of the 35 roster spots, so coach cannot carry full roster as long as he remains in good standing as required of any other student athlete.

I thought once they are not on the team, they count towards the scholarship allotment but not the roster?

It'd be cool to get clarification, because I thought if it was career ending, than they wouldn't count for either one.  This comes from reading about SEC Football, and I think this happens quite a bit.  A player gets a career injury, and that gives the scholarship back to the team. They may have to apply to the NCAA for it?

All true, but a couple of things have to occur, first, the kid has to absolutely give up on the future of playing again.  In this case, that hasn't completely happened.  The kid has had some work done, but hasn't thrown in the towel yet (although it's unlikely that will occur).  Then the school must request AND GET the waiver.

Until that occurs the money and roster spot are absorbed by the kid.  That may be in the works in this instance, but not yet complete, so the roster is limited to 33 at this point (another senior was also cut).

adbono posted:
StrainedOblique posted:

Most D-1 Scholarships are renewable annually . They are only guaranteed for 1 year. Did the NCAA modify the rules recently ? YES . But that only applies to very small number of schools . There are 300 D1 programs . Most aren't even fully funded ( 11.5 ) .... Put another way only about 35-45 schools were fully funded last year.

As far as guarantees and cuts. As was already mentioned NLI money is guaranteed for 1 year. They can't take that away from you. As far as baseball goes , The only guarantee is that NCAA coaches are going to roster spot guys that they believe can help them win . Period.

Look at it this way, NCAA D1 ball couldn't survive without non-baseball money academic money guys . Coastal won it all 2 years ago with 5 starters that didn't have any baseball money.

The point is there are no guarantees . A baseball scholarship gets you a ticket to the dance. Nothing more . And when you get there the dance floor is FULL . Guys have to perform immediately when they get on campus for fall ball. And generally , that only buys you a playing option. Meaning , you're an option at your position because freshman don't start at quality D1 programs . Or let me rephrase that , 1 or maybe 2 freshman might start out of the 9-10 that are coming in to the program. Freshman learn how to sit their first year. And if you see maybe 20-30 AB's your first year consider yourself lucky.

True that.

After the season ends I go back and re-examine the roster. Almost every player has some accolade from high school,"mvp, all-league, all conference, all state, poy, etc".  You are competing against top quality players from across the country.  Majority of these all-everything will be sitting throughout the season, especially freshmen.  With hard work and a little luck the future may still hold bright.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.