Skip to main content

Was looking at several major universities in the area and many are offering this camp to 2019's and 2020's as well as 2018's and JUCO's.  Are these worth it or just money makers?  Most run between $175-225 and most are 2 days long so not horribly expensive...just wanna make sure its not a total cash grab before signing up...thanks in advance

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Moneymakers for volunteer coaches. I think you can connect, show interest while at the camps while also seeing the coaches techniques and learn something but these are primarily fund raisers for the program. We went to 1 back in the day and the best thing to come from it was a frank evaluation of my son from the PC that drove him to work harder and disprove some of the points.

Agree with Shoveit and there are MANY threads on this topic that you can search.  Fall and Winter camps are largely fundraisers for the program and the assistant and volunteer coaches.  That said, mileage varies.  Some schools will use these as opportunities to bring in guys they are already talking to for another look or a first in-person look.  Two of my son's colleges did this with some regularity.  Some schools don't travel much and pull primarily from local talent and, therefore, will actually be looking for guys.  Although they will generally be surprised to find any strong local talent they are not already familiar with.

Of course, there is the instruction aspect.  Typically, there will be college assistants doing the lions' share of the work and instruction.  For a young HS'er, this can have value.  Occasionally, the HC is involved.  Many are hosting at their own school and there are no other colleges involved while some bring in multiple schools.  

I would say that a player should not have expectations of being recruited or discovered unless they have meaningful dialog prior to the event.  It can be worthwhile otherwise for the instruction but that is typically very much surface-level depending on the size and length of the camp.

One potential pitfall of these camps that occur over Holidays is that many players are in the middle of (or end of) arm shut-down.  You don't want to interrupt that rest and try to execute hard throws if the arm isn't ready for it.

Last edited by cabbagedad

I would always ask what they cap it at in turns of numbers, my son went to a few at smaller schools that had a cap of 60 kids. If there are 200 kids forget about it. The camps he went to were 1 D1( unimpressive) 2 D2 Both great and 1 Naia also great. We also passed on another D1 when the coach basically told us he would give 1 live ab  and 10  bp swings.

Last edited by Dospeloteros
Dospeloteros posted:

I would always ask what they cap it at in turns of numbers, my son went to a few at smaller schools that had a cap of 60 kids. If there are 200 kids forget about it. The camps he went to were 1 D1( unimpressive) 2 D2 Both great and 1 Naia also great. We also passed on another D1 when the coach basically told us he would give 1 live ab  and 10  bp swings.

Yes, and also the cost. There's a Power5 school near me having a camp between Christmas and New Year's and the cost is $550 (though it is multi-day). Smells like a moneymaker. 

Alternatively, there is a D1 December camp (4 hours) capped at 30 kids that cost $75. Probably looking for players.

edcoach posted:

Two things I need to add possibly...

1)Son is a 2020 catcher

2) An area scout told me to tell him which camp my son chooses so he can call the coach and tell him to watch him....

do either of these pieces of info play in to a possible decision one way or the other?

Yes, #2, depending...  Does that scout think that your son is ready to be seen for purposes of recruiting now?  If so, and he is willing to make that connection between school and player as a qualified neutral party, that is a whole different ballgame.  That is roughly equivalent to the point I made about having previous interest from the school.

edcoach posted:

Cabbagedad,

I asked the scout point blank if my son was aiming for the right schools ( several local D1's) and he said definitely.  He is willing to speak to those coaches and feels he's ready to be recruited...

That's awesome! ... both from a son skills standpoint and having a strong advocate standpoint.  Very valuable.  If son is in playing shape and has this advocate paving the path in advance, go.

The other consideration, then (as I see Buckeye pointed out), is school a possible fit for your son.    

thanks Cabbage and other posters....I totally agree...it's really easy to nurture and preserve this relationship with this scout because not only is he well connected, he is also a great guy in every sense of the word.  I always tell people, he has made no promises to my son but has delivered multiple time already...he got him an area code games tryout and took him to arizona with his scout team (scout team was mainly 2018's, my son is a 2020)...he has under promised and over delivered.

Here is a question to ask yourself/son..."Are you in shape to showcase during the off season?"   

It's astonishing to me to see kids who will go to these camps and need to go all out to impress the coaches and that have not thrown a ball or swung a bat since fall ball ended.  Think about arm shutdown.  Most pitchers should be shut down from throwing since Oct.  They then spend 2 weeks rushing their arm back to be able to throw a few balls at one of these camps.  Is there arm really in shape to show their best at one of these camps?  

Also, hitting takes repetition.  Most kids are not spending 4 or 5 days a week in a cage hitting a ball during this time.  When they get to one of these camps their swing is going to be off some.  

It all goes back to, "do you have something to show".  If you do, then go to the camp, if you don't skip it.  IMO if you can't show at your best then you do not have anything to show.

edcoach posted:

thanks Cabbage and other posters....I totally agree...it's really easy to nurture and preserve this relationship with this scout because not only is he well connected, he is also a great guy in every sense of the word.  I always tell people, he has made no promises to my son but has delivered multiple time already...he got him an area code games tryout and took him to arizona with his scout team (scout team was mainly 2018's, my son is a 2020)...he has under promised and over delivered.

This is how to get your son recruited.  Through a relationship like this.  Camps and showcases are good things to experience.  High ratings from scouting services are nice to have.  But those don't get you recruited all by themselves. 

gunner34 posted:

Last year Texas offered a handful of kids at their winter camp in January.   Might have been since Pierce was new and wanted to generate some buzz.   Will be curious to see what happens this year.  Debating taking my 2021 this year.  

Do you know how many of those kids were invited to camp vs. how many were walk ins who paid?

edcoach posted:

Schools are not allowed to offer until Junior year correct? How would a coach express interest before Junior year? talk to parent or hs coach?

Schools can offer a 4th grader if they want to....and unfortunately that scenario doesn't seem like it's that far off     A coach can talk to a travel or HS coach and have the player call him.  Perfectly legal.   Also, if a player is on campus, whether it's just walking around looking at the trees or attending a camp then coaches are allowed to talk to them. 

Ryno went to two Power 5 Camps.  One was at one of the top programs in the country, where the PC said he loved him, but they had were already recruiting for 2 years down the road.  However, the PC told him that if he wanted to go Juco, he could have him in offer that night.  (2 Major Juco's called the next day.)

The other was at a Pac 12 School, and it was a great experience, and ultimately a relationship was developed.  I think they did like him, but in the end, nothing ever came of it.  

If the camp is for a couple of days, and it is only a couple hundred bucks, what do you have to lose?

Iowamom23 posted:
rynoattack posted:

a couple hundred bucks, what do you have to lose?

A couple hundred bucks. You do eventually have to pick and choose what's going to be worth the money and what you need to say no to. You can go broke saying yes to everything that comes along unless you know what will actually benefit you or your son.

When 1 hour lessons cost $50-$60, you can get pretty good value at $200 for a Power 5 School's Holiday camp.  JMHO

phillyinNJ posted:

The best College Camps 2018 ever attended were one at $50 (D2) and the other at $85 (D3)...best run camps ever.

Went to camps that were in the $150-175 range and it seemed like a cattle call...lesson learned.

Choose the camps that will benefit your player not the ones that you think will benefit him.

Not sure I understand "...Not the ones you think will benefit him."  If you think it will, but you've never been, how do you quantify that without going?

2015 went to a (indoor) camp over Christmas for a school that had shown interest. Chilly outside, but he was used to winter weather (living in New England). Not an overwhelming number of campers. Thought he showed well, but HS coach got feedback they were looking for more power. Not a fit as son is contact hitter with speed who hits for average, and team he visited strikes out  25% of the time. Team was in midst of a coaching change too.  We were visiting in that city so there wasn't an additional plane fare. Too cold though to really tour campus 

I would definitely attend one if you are interested in the school and ready to showcase. When I was in high school I received 4 offers from camps like that. 3 d1s and a juco. Just make sure your measurables are that of what they look for or it may be a waste of time to show up if you are expecting to be recruited

Most of the coaches had already seen me but had not communicated with me and when I showed up at their camps it showed them I was interested in their schools and they made an offer that day. 

Most of the schools I had offers from were from scout recommendation or came out to see me play. In the end, the school I chose had never seen me at a camp or even seen me play. It was all based off of a recommendation and worked out amazingly.

baseballhs posted:

Not to hijack, but it kind of goes along with this. My son has been invited to several winter camps when he will be shutdown or just starting to throw again.  Do coaches frown on him saying he is shutdown and can’t attend?

From your history, I'm gathering that your son is a 2020 Pitcher. I would say my answer varies based on what you call "winter months", how long your son has been shut down and how long your son will have been "throwing again" before the camp.  My RHP son typically shuts down beginning of October and begins throwing beginning of the new year. This year, he has an event in the end of January, so he is starting his routine a couple weeks early. The organizer is also acutely aware that my son will not be at peak performance and has managed his expectations.

I'm going off on a limb that these schools also have camps other times of the year. If your boy is shut down and the coaching staff isn't okay with that, they likely don't have the best interests of your boys arm in mind. That would be a red flag for me.

FFXfireman posted:
baseballhs posted:

Not to hijack, but it kind of goes along with this. My son has been invited to several winter camps when he will be shutdown or just starting to throw again.  Do coaches frown on him saying he is shutdown and can’t attend?

From your history, I'm gathering that your son is a 2020 Pitcher. I would say my answer varies based on what you call "winter months", how long your son has been shut down and how long your son will have been "throwing again" before the camp.  My RHP son typically shuts down beginning of October and begins throwing beginning of the new year. This year, he has an event in the end of January, so he is starting his routine a couple weeks early. The organizer is also acutely aware that my son will not be at peak performance and has managed his expectations.

I'm going off on a limb that these schools also have camps other times of the year. If your boy is shut down and the coaching staff isn't okay with that, they likely don't have the best interests of your boys arm in mind. That would be a red flag for me.

Thank you for your input. We are having a hard time with shutting down and need to manage it better going forward. Our school plays Fall scrimmages until the end of October and we have club tryouts early in December. We are wanting to shutdown at least 6 weeks the rest of December to mid January. Most of the camps are either late mid December or in January. We don’t want to get scratched off lists but he needs a break. 

baseballhs posted:

Here is how I am going to answer your question...

Are the camp invites general mass email camp invites?  Or was your son personally invited (verbally) to the camp by the RC or HC?

If they are just general camp invites most likely they are general mass emails looking to make the school and the ACs some extra cash.  My son handled these with a very quick reply back saying (paraphrased) "Thanks for the invite to your camp, but I have a conflict that weekend.  Can you please keep me informed of your future camps.  I have attached my athletic resume to this email.  I also have setup a webpage with video clips of my pitching/fielding/hitting.  You can check the videos at <link>".  In general you are going to get one of three responses to this type of email...

1.  Its ignored

2.A generic response back saying they will inform you when they have another camp.

3. A follow up email expressing more interest in the player.  Generally a polite discussion where the coaches ask for grades, and a schedule or ask if you will be attending any other camps in the area.  This is what you are shooting for as it moves you out of the mass email category and indicates they have interest in your son.  This will open a line of communication with them which your son should keep open.  Most likely at some point their schedule and your sons will cross paths and you can get in front of them at that point.

Now, if it is a personal invite you should already have a line of communication open with the coaches.  There is no harm in telling them he is in a shut down period for his arm.  The coaches understand that kids need to recuperate during the off season.  Your son should also have a discussion with them as to how to find a time when your son is out of shutdown and is ready to throw for them.  The school will let you know when they have additional camps as well as what other camps they will be attending, or if they will be able to come out and see your son. 

The 

joes87 posted:
baseballhs posted:

Are the camp invites general mass email camp invites?  Or was your son personally invited (verbally) to the camp by the RC or HC?

If they are just general camp invites most likely they are general mass emails looking to make the school and the ACs some extra cash.  My son handled these with a very quick reply back saying (paraphrased) "Thanks for the invite to your camp, but I have a conflict that weekend.  Can you please keep me informed of your future camps.  I have attached my athletic resume to this email.  I also have setup a webpage with video clips of my pitching/fielding/hitting.  You can check the videos at <link>".  In general you are going to get one of three responses to this type of email...

1.  Its ignored

2.A generic response back saying they will inform you when they have another camp.

3. A follow up email expressing more interest in the player.  Generally a polite discussion where the coaches ask for grades, and a schedule or ask if you will be attending any other camps in the area.  This is what you are shooting for as it moves you out of the mass email category and indicates they have interest in your son.  This will open a line of communication with them which your son should keep open.  Most likely at some point their schedule and your sons will cross paths and you can get in front of them at that point.

Now, if it is a personal invite you should already have a line of communication open with the coaches.  There is no harm in telling them he is in a shut down period for his arm.  The coaches understand that kids need to recuperate during the off season.  Your son should also have a discussion with them as to how to find a time when your son is out of shutdown and is ready to throw for them.  The school will let you know when they have additional camps as well as what other camps they will be attending, or if they will be able to come out and see your son. 

The ones I was worried about were two he got last week that were the first contact. One direct messaged him through twitter after he got a spotlight from a Showcase, the other sent a letter giving him the PC cell number and inviting him. We had sent him video a few weeks ago.  

baseballhs posted:
FFXfireman posted:
baseballhs posted:

Thank you for your input. We are having a hard time with shutting down and need to manage it better going forward. Our school plays Fall scrimmages until the end of October and we have club tryouts early in December. We are wanting to shutdown at least 6 weeks the rest of December to mid January. Most of the camps are either late mid December or in January. We don’t want to get scratched off lists but he needs a break. 

Agree that it's in your son's best interest to give his arm some time to rest from throwing off the mound.

baseballhs posted:

The 

joes87 posted:
baseballhs posted:

1.  Its ignored

The ones I was worried about were two he got last week that were the first contact. One direct messaged him through twitter after he got a spotlight from a Showcase, the other sent a letter giving him the PC cell number and inviting him. We had sent him video a few weeks ago.  

BTW, what is your son's graduating year?  If its 2018, then you may have no choice to attend a  camp if they are interested in your son.  If its a different year...

In that case I would have your son reach out to the contacts he has and have an honest discussion with them.  No reason he could not let them know he is in a shutdown period and would not be at his best for their camp.  Ask them if there will be other opportunities to get in front of them.  If they are interested they will understand and let him know what he needs to do.  Most coaches will respect the honesty.  They may ask him to attend anyways and work with him as to what he does during the workouts.  If they insist that he gets to one of these camps then you and your son will need to make some decisions.

baseballhs posted:

Thank you for all the input. He is 2020.

Then I wouldn't worry about it this year. I would definitely respond, explain the situation and ask for other options, whether it's camps later this year, when he's feeling on top of things, or so you can consider whether to adapt the schedule next year so he's ready for the camp.

rynoattack posted:
phillyinNJ posted:

The best College Camps 2018 ever attended were one at $50 (D2) and the other at $85 (D3)...best run camps ever.

Went to camps that were in the $150-175 range and it seemed like a cattle call...lesson learned.

Choose the camps that will benefit your player not the ones that you think will benefit him.

Not sure I understand "...Not the ones you think will benefit him."  If you think it will, but you've never been, how do you quantify that without going?

I was trying to say be realistic with the expectation...don't take a player to a top D1 camp when the player has nothing to show...everyone has the dream and thoughts that their player can play at the top programs...most will not.  D1 camps most likely cost 150 plus...if you have the extra cash, go...if not, choose the programs wisely because it will add up fast.

Iowamom23 posted:
baseballhs posted:

Thank you for all the input. He is 2020.

Then I wouldn't worry about it this year. I would definitely respond, explain the situation and ask for other options, whether it's camps later this year, when he's feeling on top of things, or so you can consider whether to adapt the schedule next year so he's ready for the camp.

Im with Iowamom here.  You have some time.  I see no reason to rush out to a camp.  Instead the better approach would be for your son to develop a relationship with the RCs.  As they have provided you with cell phone numbers have him reach out to them.  If they are truly interested they will find a way to see your son.  Either at a different camp, or at a game.  Most of the same schools will have summer/fall camps as well.  Your son should be in playing shape at that time. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.