Skip to main content

What happens to these players is not on Alford, the coach. This was a goodwill tour with UCLA representing the PAC12. There were several UCLA VIPs on the trip including the chancellor of the university. 

The discipline is being handled at the university level. They’re debating whether it should be half the season or the entire season. I say suspend them from school until next fall. If they transfer, good riddance. 

I’m not a get UCLA person. I’m an alum and diehard UCLA basketball fan.

Last edited by RJM
Scotty83 posted:
Bulldog 19 posted:

Drawing a blank on the player, but former NFL player pulled his son off Nebraska's football team after he got caught with marijuana. Shoplifting overseas? Yeah, not a wise decision... 

Keyshawn Johnson

http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...-the-law-on-his-son/

The elder Johnson said his son needed to “mature” before he went back to Nebraska to continue his career.

Johnson has a close relationship with Cornhuskers coach Mike Riley, who was his offensive coordinator at Southern Cal. And Riley has confirmed the leave of absence for the younger Johnson, who was one of his most celebrated recruits.

“One thing you will not do as my son is you will not embarrass Nebraska, you will not embarrass Mike Riley and you will not embarrass this family,” the elder Johnson said, via Sam McKewon of the Omaha World-Herald. “If you mature and you’re ready to resume your football career and academic goals, then Nebraska will be ready to embrace you.”

The former Jets, Buccaneers, Cowboys, and Panthers wideout said he consulted with Riley and the school’s athletic department. Conspicuously absent from the discussions was Johnson Jr.

“I never asked him,” Johnson Sr. said. “At the end of the day, I don’t think that decision was in his hands. He squandered that decision. He still wants to play football, and he still wants to play for Nebraska. But if you don’t do the things you’re supposed to do, under the guidelines of me, it’s not going to happen. . . .

I love Keyshawn's perspective, and his statement "under the guidelines of me"!

Keyshawn Johnson and LaVar Ball obviously have very different outlooks on life.

RJM posted:

What happens to these players is not on Alford, the coach. This was a goodwill tour with UCLA representing the PAC12. There were several UCLA VIPs on the trip including the chancellor of the university. 

The discipline is being handled at the university level. They’re debating whether it should be half the season or the entire season. I say suspend them from school until next fall. If they transfer, good riddance. 

I guess I don't agree with suspending them from school.  Yes, it was stupid, but in reality if it happens here, they likely miss a few games.  I think they should miss the entire season...no question.  If they stay out of trouble and stay eligibile academically then they return next year.  If not, then see ya later.

Buckeye 2015 posted:
RJM posted:

I guess I don't agree with suspending them from school.  Yes, it was stupid, but in reality if it happens here, they likely miss a few games.  I think they should miss the entire season...no question.  If they stay out of trouble and stay eligibile academically then they return next year.  If not, then see ya later.

I'm all in favor of suspending them from basketball. I'm not sure you suspend them from classes, which, in theory, is the REAL reason they are at UCLA. Personally, I would say the people who love a school have higher expectations than the rest of us anyway.

What the school does aside, I do not cease to be astonished at this father's attitude.  If he were my dad, I would be completely embarrassed every time he speaks.

What I don't think he understands in this case, is that the consequences that China would hand out for this crime is MUCH worse than anything that would have happened in the good old USA.  If not for President Trump just happening to be in China at the time this happened, and going out of his way to ask China's President to do him a favor, these three kids would still be sitting in a jail cell right now, and more than likely for several years to come.  How this father - Lavar Ball - does not appreciate what Trump did for his kid is beyond imagination.  Think about it.  The presidents of two of the world's superpowers agreed to intervene on a shoplifting charge.  I'd call that extraordinary and worthy of some appreciation.

I saw him in an interview the other day and he had the nerve to knock President Trump for not really doing anything.  He also said something along the lines of - Now, if President Trump had invited the kids to fly home with him on his plane, then I would say thank you.  WHAT???  What alternative universe is this guy living in??  

Let's just hope we don't have to suffer thru 15 years of fame.  Certainly he's past his 15 minutes (and hours, days, weeks) already. Leave it to the mainstream media to continue chasing the story though.  I keep wondering what editor in his/her right mind would consider that blowhard "newsworthy".  If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? Does anyone really care?

Lavar Ball is not a fool. He just plays one on tv. But it’s all calculated. He secured a reality show for his family. Getting into it with Trump sells to half the country. The dad knows Lonzo isn’t better than Steph Curry or Keven Durant. But the more outrageous things the guy says the more coverage he gets. 

I have a friend who texts me all the time or starts conversations when I see him with, “Did you hear what Lavar Ball said today?” Gullible dopes like my friend are Lavar Ball’s target market. 

Lavar Ball’s objective is to replace the Kardashians in the reality world. 

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:

Lavar Ball is not a fool. He just plays one on tv. But it’s all calculated. He secured a reality show for his family. Getting into it with Trump sells to half the country. The dad knows Lonzo isn’t better than Steph Curry or Keven Durant. But the more outrageous things the guy says the more coverage he gets. 

I have a friend who texts me all the time or starts conversations when I see him with, “Did you hear what Lavar Ball said today?” Gullible dopes like my friend are Lavar Ball’s target market. 

Exactly!!!  I would love to give him tremendous credit for the way he is marketing himself and family for a reality show, shoe sales, etc, but that would have to assume he has common sense and a business mind to begin with, and not so sure about that.  He has the President of the US in an ego debate and the media is eating it up, what better publicity?  RJM is spot on with this call.

Last edited by Trust In Him
Trust In Him posted:
RJM posted:

Exactly!!!  I would love to give him tremendous credit for the way he is marketing himself and family for a reality show, shoe sales, etc, but that would have to assume he has common sense and a business mind to begin with, and not so sure about that.  He has the President of the US in an ego debate and the media is eating it up, what better publicity?  RJM is spot on with this call.

I would think that trying to sell $400+ shoes and failing miserably...and costing your son a FORTUNE in sponsorship money from Adidas or Nike has already proven that he isn't a business wiz lol.  No reality show anywhere will make up for what he cost his kid in potential earnings.  Based on the fact that Lonzo isn't turning out to be the sure fire NBA superstar that people thought he would be last summer, the chance of those huge sponsorship $$$ numbers every being available again are looking slimmer and slimmer all the time

Buckeye 2015 posted:
Trust In Him posted:
RJM posted:

I would think that trying to sell $400+ shoes and failing miserably...and costing your son a FORTUNE in sponsorship money from Adidas or Nike has already proven that he isn't a business wiz lol.  No reality show anywhere will make up for what he cost his kid in potential earnings.  Based on the fact that Lonzo isn't turning out to be the sure fire NBA superstar that people thought he would be last summer, the chance of those huge sponsorship $$$ numbers every being available again are looking slimmer and slimmer all the time

Lonzo is one of the top rookies. It’s never been the intention for him to be a big scorer. He’s a passer. His court vision is phenomenal. His assist and rebound numbers for a rookie, one and done guard are excellent. Like most one and doners he needs to improve his shooting confidence and accuracy. He’s good going to the hoop. Once he can hit the open three he’s an all star. 

Even Jason Tatum, who’s having an awesome rookie year and scoring big hoops in crunch time appears hesitant to shoot at times. 

Look at the difference in one year with Brandon Ingram. Last year he looked lost. He couldn’t throw it in the ocean from the pier. He got muscled all over the court. One year later he’s the guy you want with the ball. 

Jaylen Brown wasn’t as lost as Ingram last year. But he was out of control at times when he played. This year he dangerous.

One year and experience makes a big difference. Lonzo will have a major sneaker deal five minutes after he walks from his father.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.