Skip to main content

Matt13 posted:
SEC Hopeful posted:
Coach_May posted:

i will get it right? 8 years ago I walked away from coaching HS baseball. I wanted to actually watch my own son play in college. I wanted to see what it was like to just go watch games. I continued to do some scouting and coach showcase. 

Well I am officially the HC at the school I coached at for many years. Since leaving I have reflected on the things I wished I had done. I also have spent just as much if not more time reflecting on the things I wish I hadn't done.

This was a very tough decision. My life has never been in a better place. For every reason I could think this was the right move for me I could think of 10 of why this wasn't a good move for me. 

But in the end it simply came down to me having the opportunity to get those things right one last time. An opportunity to give to others. 

For those who are people of faith I ask for your prayers. Prayers that I will be what I ought to be. Prayers that I will be the coach God would have me be. Prayers that I will give these young men exactly what he would have me give.

I'm not worried about winning on the field. We will win. I need your prayers that I will give them what it takes to win off the field and be the example I need to be.

I understand the awesome responsibility and the weight it carries. Pray that I give them even more than I require. 

Am I missing something? Are you being sent on a mission to an Afghani village without a weapon and being asked to take out all of Isis or something? You are coaching a high school baseball team, man! Seriously????

Well, that would be a challenge, since ISIS isn't in Afghanistan...

Gee, thanks Matt. The point is praying for divine assistance in coaching doing so is ridiculous in my opinion . I would rather he save his request for prayers to those who would really benefit from them, homeless women and children, those afflicted with disease, those living in abusive situations. He isn't charging a hill against a machine gun nest.

There are just far too many coaches who think they have some mission to turn out citizens instead of baseball players. I will raise my son, not you. If your character is such that he takes something positive away from his time with you, so be it and thank you. But that is not what you are there for. Focus on the job, teach and coach the game. Don't take the position that you are there to create young men who are great citizens in the future. That is taking your role a little out of context.

SEC Hopeful posted:
Coach_May posted:

i will get it right? 8 years ago I walked away from coaching HS baseball. I wanted to actually watch my own son play in college. I wanted to see what it was like to just go watch games. I continued to do some scouting and coach showcase. 

Well I am officially the HC at the school I coached at for many years. Since leaving I have reflected on the things I wished I had done. I also have spent just as much if not more time reflecting on the things I wish I hadn't done.

This was a very tough decision. My life has never been in a better place. For every reason I could think this was the right move for me I could think of 10 of why this wasn't a good move for me. 

But in the end it simply came down to me having the opportunity to get those things right one last time. An opportunity to give to others. 

For those who are people of faith I ask for your prayers. Prayers that I will be what I ought to be. Prayers that I will be the coach God would have me be. Prayers that I will give these young men exactly what he would have me give.

I'm not worried about winning on the field. We will win. I need your prayers that I will give them what it takes to win off the field and be the example I need to be.

I understand the awesome responsibility and the weight it carries. Pray that I give them even more than I require. 

Am I missing something? Are you being sent on a mission to an Afghani village without a weapon and being asked to take out all of Isis or something? You are coaching a high school baseball team, man! Seriously????

Why would you jump down this mans throat just for being humble asking for a little bit of God's grace and help in a decision he clearly has given a lot of thought to? Coach clearly just wants the best for the kids he is going to coach. I understand freely questioning people opinions on things, that one I don't get.

Relax and take it easy

JCG thank you. I respect that response so much.

Thank all of you for your kind words and support. Prepster we will definitely catch each other at the Bosh this year. Going to be a special season for the Heels.

I finished putting my staff together last night and I am very excited about it. Pratt Maynard my former player who was a first team ACC catcher and 2nd round pick will be my assistant coach. I coached him from T-ball through high school. Clarence Peace who also was a stand out in college and played for me will also be an assistant. And Matt McCutheon who's father was a long time high school coach will assist as well. All three of these guys are outstanding men and very knowledgeable.

Again thanks for the kind words and I appreciate your prayers. I will def keep you guys posted and thanks. 

SEC Hopeful posted:

Gee, thanks Matt. The point is praying for divine assistance in coaching doing so is ridiculous in my opinion . I would rather he save his request for prayers to those who would really benefit from them, homeless women and children, those afflicted with disease, those living in abusive situations. He isn't charging a hill against a machine gun nest.

There are just far too many coaches who think they have some mission to turn out citizens instead of baseball players. I will raise my son, not you. If your character is such that he takes something positive away from his time with you, so be it and thank you. But that is not what you are there for. Focus on the job, teach and coach the game. Don't take the position that you are there to create young men who are great citizens in the future. That is taking your role a little out of context.

I bet you're life is just a ball of fun. 

OK, best of luck in this "new" coaching venture. Now that the wishing of luck is out of the way....If those parents have any idea how much "street cred" you have here, I cannot imagine how excited they must be. If my sons were in your program I would already have a binder made up of your posts here, when I heard anyone speak of negativity a sheet of a thread pertaining to their mis-givings would be handed to them and a discussion would commence. Seems like everyone frets over the ol' HS coach and how their kids won't get a fair shake or whatever this time of year, but to have you coaching my son would be an honor, something that would be of value to him his entire life, that I know. I would feel like I won the lottery, seriously. Several times each year for this reason or that, I re-read for 100th time The Old Oak Stump, it cures whatever is bothering me and sets me straight. I can wish you luck, but you don't need it. Have a blast and go do what you do.

SEC I'm going out on a limb here and say that God and the good Lord are probably fairly decent at multi-tasking that they can bless Coach and others who may need it.  Could be wrong but I doubt it.

Coach May good luck and after a 5 year break (9 as head coach) I'm back in the saddle again as well.  Hopefully, we can meet up in the playoffs and have a classic game.  

Coach May, goodluck and many prayers to you and your staff this year. Personally I am grateful to hear of good and decent men/ladies still willing to be a positive influence to young men and women. Going thru MS and HS can be a very difficult time for many teenagers and to have someone in authority speaking positive things in their lives is a huge plus in my book. I pray you have great success in the lives of those young men who are put under your care.

SEC Hopeful stated: "...The point is praying for divine assistance in coaching doing so is ridiculous in my opinion . I would rather he save his request for prayers to those who would really benefit from them, homeless women and children, those afflicted with disease, those living in abusive situations. He isn't charging a hill against a machine gun nest.

There are just far too many coaches who think they have some mission to turn out citizens instead of baseball players. I will raise my son, not you. If your character is such that he takes something positive away from his time with you, so be it and thank you. But that is not what you are there for. Focus on the job, teach and coach the game. Don't take the position that you are there to create young men who are great citizens in the future. That is taking your role a little out of context."

Madam SEC hopeful - you don't have a clue as to the impact a coach has on children, and high school players remain children. Any man or woman who doesn't realize the effect he or she has on the team's players is not a coach. And a parent who doesn't recognize that aspect of sport is blind to the benefits of competitive athletics. Teaching the game is so much more than dealing with the mechanics and situations. It has everything to do with understanding the dynamics of the sport, the interactions of player to player, the concept of sportsmanship and fair play, the attention to detail, the pursuit of perfection through hard work, the grace to celebrate victory and accept defeat. And never is a request for divine assistance worthy of ridicule.

Perhaps, Madam hopeful, your world is that of daddy ball, juice box treats, participation trophies and a picnic after the game, but the real world of coaching demands that each and every coach meet his or her fundamental responsibility to assist the players in their journey to adulthood through their chosen sport.

I don't know Coach May. My son didn't play for him but has played for coaches like him throughout his career.  They were not afraid to cast eyes skyward and pray for help. And my son is the better for it. His college decision was made in large part because the school's coaches exemplify the kind of person my son admires and wants to emulate. They help mold young men into contributors to society. From what I've read of Coach May, he is that kind of man and that kind of coach.

NotThatGuy posted:

SEC Hopeful stated: "...The point is praying for divine assistance in coaching doing so is ridiculous in my opinion . I would rather he save his request for prayers to those who would really benefit from them, homeless women and children, those afflicted with disease, those living in abusive situations. He isn't charging a hill against a machine gun nest.

There are just far too many coaches who think they have some mission to turn out citizens instead of baseball players. I will raise my son, not you. If your character is such that he takes something positive away from his time with you, so be it and thank you. But that is not what you are there for. Focus on the job, teach and coach the game. Don't take the position that you are there to create young men who are great citizens in the future. That is taking your role a little out of context."

Madam SEC hopeful - you don't have a clue as to the impact a coach has on children, and high school players remain children. Any man or woman who doesn't realize the effect he or she has on the team's players is not a coach. And a parent who doesn't recognize that aspect of sport is blind to the benefits of competitive athletics. Teaching the game is so much more than dealing with the mechanics and situations. It has everything to do with understanding the dynamics of the sport, the interactions of player to player, the concept of sportsmanship and fair play, the attention to detail, the pursuit of perfection through hard work, the grace to celebrate victory and accept defeat. And never is a request for divine assistance worthy of ridicule.

Perhaps, Madam hopeful, your world is that of daddy ball, juice box treats, participation trophies and a picnic after the game, but the real world of coaching demands that each and every coach meet his or her fundamental responsibility to assist the players in their journey to adulthood through their chosen sport.

I don't know Coach May. My son didn't play for him but has played for coaches like him throughout his career.  They were not afraid to cast eyes skyward and pray for help. And my son is the better for it. His college decision was made in large part because the school's coaches exemplify the kind of person my son admires and wants to emulate. They help mold young men into contributors to society. From what I've read of Coach May, he is that kind of man and that kind of coach.

I "liked" that and will add that my son is more likely to listen to parental like advice from his coach rather than his parent. I hope to God my sons coaches feel it is their job to turn out a good citizen and a good ball player.

It's going pretty good. I have been spending a good bit of time on admin details. Also a lot of time working on facilities, uniforms, etc. we have been holding workouts and the turn out has been excellent. 

I will be these guys 3rd head coach they have had in HS. That's tough and I got a lot to do before we play our first scrimmage on the 19th. I will say I love these young men. They are very respectful, hard workers and a pleasure to be around. 

We have some talented players. We got a lot of work to do. But I am excited to watch these young men compete. I believe we have a chance to have a very successful season. 

Coach May, congratulations.  I took a similar path with my daughter.  I gave up my HC position to watch her in HS and then in college.  I understand exactly what you are experiencing.  I felt the same.  For me, there is always that conflict between being the "tormentor" and the "mentor."  IOWs, I often found myself too intense.  For me, I could not leave the game on the field and I took every loss personal. 

Coach May, this is my third year back coaching now and to be honest, it is a blast.  I laugh a lot more and have found a way to temper my approach to practice and the games.  I once worried that the players would think less of me if I walked out of a practice without having thrown a couple of hours of BP and all of the other stuff.  Physically, I no longer can do that as I have to have both my right hip and knee replaced.  Still, the players are great and they understand.  I can still spin a few in there and get done what we need to get done.  I know you will have the same experience.  You've always been so level headed here and we all know where your heart is.  The players will as well.  Good luck to you.  Our sport needs people like you back in the coaching ranks!

Last edited by CoachB25

Congrats Coach May. I know my son won't forget his HS coaches. I know travel ball is huge but you never forget where you came from, played HS ball and shared those moments over 4 years. Over the Christmas break a few MiLB HS teammate friends were over at the house with my son and invariably the conversation went to HS baseball. Listening to them talk about the playoffs, the plays, at bats, defensive stops, calls and coaches was a blast. 

Baseball is a brotherhood. Thanks for the work you do.

Last edited by Shoveit4Ks

That is great news, Coach May! The baseball world is a better place with you in it. As for the controversy above: why on Earth would it be silly for a man to ask for prayers for his wisdom in working with youth? I don't care if it is coaching, parenting or teaching algebra. My son had the blessing of playing for good, honorable coaches in high school. It was hugely important. It is NOT just about baseball. 

Well I figured I would give an update on my journey. Our first game was rained out yesterday so we will play our first game Friday and follow that up with our second game Saturday. We have played one scrimmage so far.

I don't know where to start so this might be a rambling type of post but here goes. I will be the third head coach these Seniors have had. These guys have had a tremendous amount of success during their HS careers. State Champions when they we Freshman, Runner Up State Champions as Sophs, Eastern Final's (One win away from State Finals) last year. We return some very good players and some guys who have not played very much but will need to this year.

I have been extremely happy with the way these guys work. They are very serious about getting better and very coachable young men. There are some things we have and will be working on very hard like base running, cut game, and situational baseball that quite honestly are lacking. But the fact is those things are much easier to deal with than a lack of talent.

I have found myself to be much more of a teacher of the game now. I have found that I rarely if ever get on a kid. It's almost always a one on one quiet approach and a teaching type of thing. Our practices are very structured and planned out. We hit live against our pitchers almost daily. I am fortunate that I have 8 guys who can actually pitch. We scrimmage a lot and work on situational baseball daily.

My day's are very long. I get up at 5 and don't get off the field until after 8pm. Usually I get home around 8:30 8:45 and have about an 1 to hour 1/2 before I need to go to bed. I am reminded daily on why I love coaching being around these young men. I am also reminded daily that this is an awesome responsibility that I do not take lightly. I am excited about watching my boys compete against someone else. In our scrimmage we threw 8 guys in 8 innings. We struck out 16 batters issued 2 BB made 1 error and gave up 4 hits. We won the scrimmage 11-2. We collected 8 hits walked 8 times and only struck out 3 times.

My parents are outstanding people. They are very supportive. We have a chance to be very good. I have a LHP who has committed to a local D1 a RHP who has committed to a D1, a LHP who has committed to a local JC and a couple of JR RHP who can really pitch as well both mid 80's. My Head Assistant played for me and he is like a son. He played at NC State and was a 2nd round pick by LAD. To say it's awesome to have him by my side every day is an understatement. I look forward to what is ahead and will check back in from time to time.  I will miss my son's big weekend series so that a bummer. They are up to #3 in the nation D2 polls. Some things never change. I'm still missing stuff for the same reasons. My son is excited I'm back at it. My wife? Well for right now I'm still married!

Coach_May posted:

I have found myself to be much more of a teacher of the game now. I have found that I rarely if ever get on a kid. It's almost always a one on one quiet approach and a teaching type of thing. Our practices are very structured and planned out. We hit live against our pitchers almost daily. I am fortunate that I have 8 guys who can actually pitch. We scrimmage a lot and work on situational baseball daily...

Really liked that part!

Coach May, that is great stuff. Sounds like you are set up for a successful season.

Last week I received a text from someone I hadn't spoken to in a few years. It was the coach of my son's 12U and 13U travel team. Someone who had a major influence in my son's development as a ballplayer. He reached out to wish my son luck as the HS baseball season was starting, and he let me know that he frequently asks an AC at my son's school (who he has known for awhile) about him and how he is doing. I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, and maybe it's not right on point on this thread, but reading your post, Coach May, reminded me of it -- the common thread being a coach who cares about his players, even after they no longer play for him.

ClevelandDad posted:
Coach_May posted:

I have found myself to be much more of a teacher of the game now. I have found that I rarely if ever get on a kid. It's almost always a one on one quiet approach and a teaching type of thing. Our practices are very structured and planned out. We hit live against our pitchers almost daily. I am fortunate that I have 8 guys who can actually pitch. We scrimmage a lot and work on situational baseball daily...

Really liked that part!

Spot on!  I've said this a few times  here before.  You may have decent talent, OK physical attributes, big heart to succeed, but what will give you the edge over others and make you a better player is if you can be a student of the game. Having a professor such as Coach May will make it that much easier.

haha... Coach May and his gang came into town and beat up on son's team yesterday afternoon. Some good athletes and I can confirm the depth in the arms. Our defense was generally up for it, and made them pay for their mental mistakes on the base paths, but the available depth at P kept us out of it in the late innings. Clueless Jr wasn't part of it since he starts on Monday. We see them again later in the week. We hope to give it back to them 

SEC Hopeful posted:
Midwest Mom posted:

SEC, no one minds a difference of opinion on baseball or recruiting matters or approaches, and a perspective that challenges collective thinking. But you’re making it personal. Again.  

Nope, hope he does well...really. I just don't see where people need to pray for him to be able to figure out who should bat third in the lineup.

You obviously have no idea what’s involved in being a good coach. It goes a lot deeper than who bats third and winning. Coaches have the ability to impact kid’s lives.

My proudest moment as a coach wasn’t winning. It was when a former player signed his NLI in football. I coached him in Babe Ruth baseball. He invited me to his signing. He said he never would have made it through high school if not for me. He said I taught him to stop being angry at life and work through the problems. I still get tears every time I think about it thirty plus years later. 

Now take this story times 100 and you have Coach May. Coaches impact players lives. The great coaches have a lot of impact. Coach May is a great coach. Confidence comes from faith. If faith comes from prayer for Coach May that’s his business. 

Last edited by RJM

I wish you would have said hello. Make sure next week you come by and introduce yourself. We have a lot to work on. Mainly the stuff I mentioned in the earlier post.  We certainly have some things to address. Both teams will and can play much better. I expect next weeks game to be very competitive. I am very fortunate to have quality depth on the hill because right now we can't run the bags much better than a middle school team. That's something I have always prided my teams in. We will get better. Best of luck to your son Monday. See you next week. CD it would be awesome my friend!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.