Skip to main content

15 year-old, periodically when hitting, will have a sharp pain in his non-dominant shoulder that will shut him down for about 10 minutes, then he can hit again, though not as freely since he will involuntarily protect.  From some research I figured subluxation and after evaluation, Ortho agreed. 

Ortho says to continue band work and other off-season strengthening, especially back muscles (he uses Crossover Symmetry) and limit hitting to every other day.  Possibility of a small nick in the labrum.  He will follow the docs advice.

If any of you have experience with this, I would like to hear how it worked out.  Thanks

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, it is highly unlikely that any of us can offer up any better info than the ortho that evaluated your son's shoulder.  I have had to deal with many shoulder injuries of my own and my players.  What you have described is a bit concerning unless there is missing info.  As you know, a subluxation is a partial, but not complete dislocation.  When it happens, it is my experience that the usual prescription is a certain length of rest and immobilization followed by PT prior to resuming activity - not jumping right back in with exercises.  It is also a bit odd to me that this would happen while hitting unless there was a prior injury.  Also, whether subluxation or dislocation, there can be damage to various parts around the shoulder, obviously more with complete dislocation.  So, that sharp pain may or may not be associated with other damage.  I guess you addressed that with the "small nick in the labrum" possibility.  But, again, labrum issues are something to be very careful with.  I hope it's nothing and don't like to put fear out there but you asked.

Texas1836 posted:

Thanks Cabbage and Coach.  I have read the Reinold stuff and watched a video that he did regarding unstable shoulders.  Forgot to mention that he will go to PT over the holidays.  

PT and regular appropriate shoulder exercises are key in reducing instability and recurrence.  If only I was better at listening to my own advise.

Last edited by cabbagedad

It doesn't sound like there has been an imaging done. If that's the case I would be asking for xrays and an MRI with dye.

I would also make sure that the kid knew that for now head-first sliding is an absolute no-no for him.   Lots of shoulder injuries come from that, not to mention fingers, wrists, and necks, and from what I have been told a loose shoulder or a shoulder  that has already dislocated is more likely than others to do it again.

JCG - He was actually at the doc to check out his knee (that's another issue, back leg torque) so when he went back for the x-ray , before seeing the doc, they only shot the knee.  I was not there, but I think that is how it unfolded.  He asked about the shoulder after the knee exam.  Doc (college catcher) wants to see video of him hitting so as soon as I can get that done, I will follow up regarding MRI arthrogram.  Thanks for the comments.  [Personal complaint:  I am tired of paying for MRI's for my family.]

Tex, sorry to hear this.  The issue of instabilities leading to injuries is finally gaining traction in the baseball world as more people like Cressey collect data and attempt to inform.  Glad he listened to his body and very glad you took him to the Doctor for an expert opinion.

It's not a popular thing to do but a family friend who is a sports dr told me a long time ago that shut down should mean complete shutdown from anything that has an impact.  My son doesn't pick up a baseball OR BAT for at least 6-8 weeks, and ramps up slowly for an additional 4-6 weeks. Might be something to consider.

Texas1836 posteposteded:

15 year-old, periodically when hitting, will have a sharp pain in his non-dominant shoulder that will shut him down for about 10 minutes, then he can hit again, though not as freely since he will involuntarily protect.  From some research I figured subluxation and after evaluation, Ortho agreed. 

Ortho says to continue band work and other off-season strengthening, especially back muscles (he uses Crossover Symmetry) and limit hitting to every other day.  Possibility of a small nick in the labrum.  He will follow the docs advice.

If any of you have experience with this, I would like to hear how it worked out.  Thanks

This is not replacing medical treatment and PT for the shoulder but consider a two handed finish. The one handed finish can be hard on the shoulder if it is already unstable.

He still needs to see a doc and work on it but the two handed finish can take a bit of stress off the labrum.

Last edited by Dominik85

Thanks all for your comments.  Seems that few to none on this forum have had the problem - good.  He will get going on more specific exercises from the PT and I think/hope that growing will take care of it. 

SOMEBASEBALL - When I shopped earlier this year, the range was $600 - $2,400 around here, as I recall.  

I have a Sr. this year that is having similar issues in his non throwing shoulder.  Nothing torn but can barely lift it.  PT and doc gave him lots of band exercises and rest.  They think that he did it lifting to much and working out to much.  For the last 6 months he has lifted almost 6 days a week every week.  He's one of those kids that won't take a break even when we tell him to.  He has been shut down for a month now and will be for another month before we try to start him back up.  He's committed to a good JuCo and hoping to get some 4 year offers.  Hopefully the rest will take care of it and he can have a successful season and get a few more offers. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.