Skip to main content

D1catcher posted:

Best players play regardless of age. If a 14 year old is better than an upperclassman, then he starts.

however if there is no real difference between the 2. Play the older kid and work the younger one in to games to prepare him for the varsity competition.

Couldn't agree more.  As a freshman son bounced between JV and Varsity during the summer/fall.  He got very little playing time (last inning maybe, PH, PR) but on JV he did well.  I was hoping coach wouldn't keep him on Varsity roster for the year, and he didn't.  Mentally at that age I can only imagine how difficult it would be to just sit and watch.  Though never confirmed, I was told HC had a policy, if Freshman or Sophomore made varsity they were a starter, excluding pitchers.  Son played Varsity as Soph and played every inning.

Just to give you an idea of the competition in our HS league (some of you SoCal guys will appreciate this), we play in the same high school league that Hunter Greene pitched in last season and we often played against Royce Lewis' school the next county south, usually seeing them in the playoffs at some point. Hunter Greene's former high school returns 2 UCLA commits (1 jr, 1 soph), 2 USC commits (2 sophs) and 1 TCU commit (soph) to their starting lineup this season. Another school in the league, has 2 Vandy commits (1 jr, 1 soph) 1 Stanford (soph), 1 LMU (Sr), 1 UCLA (Sr.) and several lower D1s. A third school has 1 Stanford (soph) 1 USF (Sr.) 1 Cal (Sr.). Our school has 1 UCLA (soph), 1 Georgia Tech (soph), 1 Long Beach (jr), 1 UCSB (jr), two high academic D3s (Rhodes and Claremont) and several Juniors waiting on Ivy Leagues to offer this summer (Columbia and Harvard). The fifth team has 3 San Diego State commits (all jr.s) 1 Cal St. Northridge (Sr.) and 1 UCLA (Sr.). The bottom two schools are rebuilding but did win a few games last year and have solid freshman coming in for them.

Funny thing is most if these kids play together in the summer on the same Travel team or scout teams. All families have known each other forever and going to every high school game is really enjoyable. And, oh yeah, the baseball is outstanding. Last year, when Hunter pitched (hit 102 mph and 103 mph when he pitched against us), there were more MLB scouts then parents in the stands. The year before, when Hunter was pitching to Blake Rutherford (drafted by the Yankees in Rd 1 in 2016, now with the White Sox), it was like going to a movie premier.

So when I say that playing a freshman is all relative, the talent that you are surrounded by and playing against certainly can be a factor.   And yes, in this league, Hunter Greene did start his freshman year on JV.

baseballhs posted:

Our current Varsity baseball team has 6 D1, several D2 commits.  Three are juniors committed to University of Texas, TCU and LSU.  That doesn't even come close to what comes out of our HS for football.  You saw one of our former QBs getting the Heisman last week.  It is crazy that there is so much talent in one area.

Should be a good 3rd round playoff matchup with you and Churchill from SA again...

Last spring the baseball teams of the Trinity League in Orange County CA -- not my son's league, so I have no horse in this race -- had 50 D1 commits (not all seniors, that was across all four years) amongst the 6 teams in the league. 50!!! 

As far as football goes, it's even crazier. Maxpreps has the six Trinity League teams currently ranked nationally at #1, #3, #47, #85, #95, and #128. USA Today has the six teams currently ranked nationally at #1, #4, #67, #92, #155, and #162. 

Did I mention that recruiting is against CIF rules?  

To say that the 3 high schools in Plano are not competitive would be inaccurate.  Underachieving in one case maybe, but not uncompetitive.  In 2016 seven seniors from Plano West went on to play college baseball.  In 2017 six seniors did the same. 2018 is a bit of a down year so there will only be 4.  But in 2008 Plano West was undefeated and was the mythical national champions.  Also made state tournament (final 4) one other time between 2009 and 2012.  Plano HS has been a playoff team the past 3 years and Coach Robertson does a great job there.  He has sent a lot of players to college programs too.  Plano East is up and down but they also have produced some good players. Jake Arrietta comes to mind.  Maybe you have heard of him.  All the Plano high schools play in a very competitive district.  We see a college bound pitcher EVERY district game. Nobody hits .400 in our district.  Not even Billy McKinney, who was a first round draft pick out of Plano West five years ago and is now on the Yankees 40 man roster.  He hit .389 his senior year. And by the way Arrietta didn't even make all-district in HS. So you really don't know what you are talking about.  Which is no surprise.

Now having said all that, I will add that in the past few years there has been more emphasis on academics and less on athletics in Plano across the entire school district.  Plano West is ranked in the top 1% of public high schools in America.  Current PISD administration is more interested in that than how the athletic teams fare and this has resulted in a dip in athletic performance.  As a result the baseball rosters are not as deep with talent as they have historically been at 2 of the 3 schools.  Demographics have changed too as there are more families that aren't concerned about sports. Plano is an affluent community so add in the fact that Lacrosse is taking athletes away from the traditional sports and that is a factor also. In general a higher percentage of students in the Plano High Schools are more concerned with being prepared to go to college than they are concerned with HS athletics. Not saying that's good or bad, but that's the way it is.

So that's how things are in Plano - from someone who actually does know what he is talking about. 

baseballhs posted:

Our current Varsity baseball team has 6 D1, several D2 commits.  Three are juniors committed to University of Texas, TCU and LSU.  That doesn't even come close to what comes out of our HS for football.  You saw one of our former QBs getting the Heisman last week.  It is crazy that there is so much talent in one area.

For the record I'm not debating that there can be 5 D1 commits on a team. My Senior year we had 9 D1 guys, 13 overall, but we also won state in Texas. Having 5 and going 2 and 10 seems like a nightmare season.

2019Dad posted:

Last spring the baseball teams of the Trinity League in Orange County CA -- not my son's league, so I have no horse in this race -- had 50 D1 commits (not all seniors, that was across all four years) amongst the 6 teams in the league. 50!!! 

As far as football goes, it's even crazier. Maxpreps has the six Trinity League teams currently ranked nationally at #1, #3, #47, #85, #95, and #128. USA Today has the six teams currently ranked nationally at #1, #4, #67, #92, #155, and #162. 

Did I mention that recruiting is against CIF rules?  

We are the only team in the Mission League that does not allow "undue influence" in their program (the term "recruiting" is nowhere found in CIF by laws). Our football program which was dominant in the 70's and 80's is just average now as is basketball. 50% of our students are "legacy" (have a parent or relative who attended the school). However, both sports are still treated as if they are "special". For instance, at our school, baseball has not had new uniforms in five years. JV is wheres uniforms from the early 2000's and I can only guess what frosh wear. (parents have said the uni's stand up on their own). Whereas football and basketball have been featured as Nike "Jumpman", a.k.a. Jordan, uniform schools in Sports Illustrated and ESPN. Go figure.

Baseball is now the most undue influenced sport in the Mission League because it is so under the radar. I won't go any further with how this forbidden process works (just look at the schools with the most power 5's in our league and you will understand who the culprits are) but it does occur. The funny thing is watching the coaches for these two schools whine/complain/ bitch somethings as trivial as a random leaf lying upside down on a playing surface. Happy to say the young men do represent those schools well though!

2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

To say that the 3 high schools in Plano are not competitive would be inaccurate.  Underachieving in one case maybe, but not uncompetitive.  In 2016 seven seniors from Plano West went on to play college baseball.  In 2017 six seniors did the same. 2018 is a bit of a down year so there will only be 4.  But in 2008 Plano West was undefeated and was the mythical national champions.  Also made state tournament (final 4) one other time between 2009 and 2012.  Plano HS has been a playoff team the past 3 years and Coach Robertson does a great job there.  He has sent a lot of players to college programs too.  Plano East is up and down but they also have produced some good players. Jake Arrietta comes to mind.  Maybe you have heard of him.  All the Plano high schools play in a very competitive district.  We see a college bound pitcher EVERY district game. Nobody hits .400 in our district.  Not even Billy McKinney, who was a first round draft pick out of Plano West five years ago and is now on the Yankees 40 man roster.  He hit .389 his senior year. And by the way Arrietta didn't even make all-district in HS. So you really don't know what you are talking about.  Which is no surprise.

Now having said all that, I will add that in the past few years there has been more emphasis on academics and less on athletics in Plano across the entire school district.  Plano West is ranked in the top 1% of public high schools in America.  Current PISD administration is more interested in that than how the athletic teams fare and this has resulted in a dip in athletic performance.  As a result the baseball rosters are not as deep with talent as they have historically been at 2 of the 3 schools.  Demographics have changed too as there are more families that aren't concerned about sports. Plano is an affluent community so add in the fact that Lacrosse is taking athletes away from the traditional sports and that is a factor also. In general a higher percentage of students in the Plano High Schools are more concerned with being prepared to go to college than they are concerned with HS athletics. Not saying that's good or bad, but that's the way it is.

So that's how things are in Plano - from someone who actually does know what he is talking about. 

I said "theyhave uncompetitive baseball teams." That's current tense. Maybe they were good in 2008 or whatever.

All I did was look up their records last year:

• Plano East, 8-22 record, ranked as the 5,861st best HS team in the U.S. by Maxpreps
  • Plano West, 13-16-1, ranked as the 2,885th best HS team in the U.S.
  • Plano, 12-18, ranked as the 2,995th best HS team in the U.S.

In my book, that's uncompetitive. Adding in the fact that they have 2,500 or more boys to choose from -- and that they are in a warm-weather state -- I think it's remarkable that they aren't more competitive. Currently. And always, for that matter.

Max Preps info is not always accurate. Most people know that.  Plano's record was not 12-18, for example.  West and Plano are competitive.  Online information doesn't tell the whole story.  But apparently you missed that the first time around. 

2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

I said "theyhave uncompetitive baseball teams." That's current tense. Maybe they were good in 2008 or whatever.

• Plano East, 8-22 record, ranked as the 5,861st best HS team in the U.S. by Maxpreps

In my book, that's uncompetitive. Adding in the fact that they have 2,500 or more boys to choose from -- and that they are in a warm-weather state -- I think it's remarkable that they aren't more competitive. Currently. And always, for that matter.

Max Preps info is not always accurate. Most people know that.  Plano's record was not 12-18, for example.  West and Plano are competitive.  Online information doesn't tell the whole story.  But apparently you missed that the first time around. 

Ahh, sorry about that. The original comment was based on -- wow, 5000 kids, they must be awesome, lemme see what their record is . . . wow, not so good.

You're right, according to their website, they were 14-16 (http://planowildcatsbaseball.c...017-varsity-schedule). Not 12-18.

You can say whatever you want.  I have forgotten more about baseball than you will ever know. 

adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

Ahh, sorry about that. The original comment was based on -- wow, 5000 kids, they must be awesome, lemme see what their record is . . . wow, not so good.

You're right, according to their website, they were 14-16 (http://planowildcatsbaseball.c...017-varsity-schedule). Not 12-18.

You can say whatever you want.  I have forgotten more about baseball than you will ever know. 

Image result for humble meme

2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

Get a clue 

2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

I️ can show you hundreds of teams in warm weather states of the same size that have comparable records. Guess what, someone has to win and lose in league games. That is an ignorant statement.

2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

Dude, take your meds...your insecurities are showing.

2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

Now you just proved it

Chicago643 posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

I️ can show you hundreds of teams in warm weather states of the same size that have comparable records. Guess what, someone has to win and lose in league games. That is an ignorant statement.

Really? There are hundreds of high schools with over 5,000 students enrolled? 

Look, I made a throwaway comment about how I would think a school with 5,000 or 6,000 kids would be competitive -- dominant, even -- in baseball. Sheer numbers would tend to lead in that direction.

Obviously I didn't know that Adbono's kids went to one of those high schools. And I wasn't intending to insult him or anyone else at those schools. It was just surprising. That's all. 

This part of the thread went sideways, and I apologize if my posts were the cause of that. I will delete the references to the specific school.

2019Dad posted:

Look, I made a throwaway comment about how I would think a school with 5,000 or 6,000 kids would be competitive -- dominant, even -- in baseball. Sheer numbers would tend to lead in that direction.

Obviously I didn't know that Adbono's kids went to one of those high schools. And I wasn't intending to insult him or anyone else at those schools. It was just surprising. That's all. 

This part of the thread went sideways, and I apologize if my posts were the cause of that. I will delete the references to the specific school.

You still came off like a douche bag

2019Dad posted:
Chicago643 posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

Let me guess: your kid play so in a league or area where some big name guys have come out recently, but your kid isn’t a big name guy. But saying you play against or around them somehow gives you credentials to spout off. My point was there are lots of large high schools you would expect to compete who also have down years. Hell, in your own back yard you would think USC would be a perennial powerhouse in baseball but they are a perennial cellar dweller. How do you explain that? You come off like an entitled jerk.

2019Dad posted:

I think all the schools in their division are that size. So they are competing with like-sized and talented programs. I don’t think there is a league out there where everyone goes undefeated. 

Chicago643 posted:
2019Dad posted:
Chicago643 posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

Let me guess: your kid play so in a league or area where some big name guys have come out recently, but your kid isn’t a big name guy. But saying you play against or around them somehow gives you credentials to spout off. My point was there are lots of large high schools you would expect to compete who also have down years. Hell, in your own back yard you would think USC would be a perennial powerhouse in baseball but they are a perennial cellar dweller. How do you explain that? You come off like an entitled jerk.

Wow, you really don't know who his kid is,

One of the interesting things on this site is that WE have no idea if we are talking to a kid/parent that is slated for a draft or a kid/parent involved in rec ball. Oh well, probably for the best but I will clear this part up, his kids got nothing to prove.

2019Dad did make an off the cuff comment, most would come to the same conclusion given the data.  The data was apparently wrong, and some people on here had kids be a part of the data.  He apologized and clearly stated he wasn't trying to insult anyone here he was making an observation.   It was others who blew it up and made it a personal attack.

Last edited by CaCO3Girl
CaCO3Girl posted:
Chicago643 posted:
2019Dad posted:
Chicago643 posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

Wow, you really don't know who his kid is,

One of the interesting things on this site is that WE have no idea if we are talking to a kid/parent that is slated for a draft or a kid/parent involved in rec ball. Oh well, probably for the best but I will clear this part up, his kids got nothing to prove.

2019Dad did make an off the cuff comment, most would come to the same conclusion given the data.  The data was apparently wrong, and some people on here had kids be a part of the data.  He apologized and clearly stated he wasn't trying to insult anyone here he was making an observation.   It was others who blew it up and made it a personal attack.

I could tell you my kid is anyone, you would never know for sure. Fact of the matter is, he came out from like a major league jerk.

You always play the best kids available if there is no doubt about who is best. If an upperclassman and a lowerclassman are evaluated to be the same skill level you start out playing the upperclassman because you want them both to play. You start out playing the upperclassman on V and the lowerclassman has eligibility to play on a lower level so they start out lower. This doesn't really cause an disruption in your team chemistry and gives a nod to a kid who has put more time grinding day in and day out in the program. I would hold a meeting telling players that nothing is set in stone and you must perform to be on the field. Then as practices and games start you constantly reevaluate who should play at any position and make changes as necessary.

We play in a very mediocre HS conference and we really don't see a Freshman who has the physical strength to out play an average older kid. Not unheard of but also definitely not a normal everyday thing. If a 7-8 grader is competing for a V spot he better be a very rare bird or he should play lower, get reps, and get bigger and stronger.

Chicago, chill out. Here's what happened. Go44 posted a link to the 20 biggest high schools in the state of Texas. I looked at his link. 3 of the 4 biggest were in the same city! Wow! Given that it's Texas, they are probably 3 of the 10 biggest in the country (no, there aren't hundreds of high schools of that size). I thought to myself, wow, I bet they are absolutely dominant, given the numbers. I looked them up and they had losing records. I posted that it was really surprising. Lesson learned, you never know who is on here (or anywhere) and it turned out that another poster has a kid on one of the teams. Then I unwisely had a back and forth with Adbono, some of which was just in fun (on my side at least), but still probably should have been avoided.

I learned awhile ago that the golden rule only works perfectly if the two people have the same sensitivities. If my son's team (or my alma mater for that matter) had a losing record, it wouldn't bother me if someone said they weren't very good -- heck, I would probably say it -- but just because it wouldn't bother me, that doesn't mean it won't bother someone else. So I deleted the post.

One thing I didn't do is call Adbono (or anyone else) any names. But if it makes you feel better, go for it. 

2019Dad posted:

Chicago, chill out. Here's what happened. Go44 posted a link to the 20 biggest high schools in the state of Texas. I looked at his link. 3 of the 4 biggest were in the same city! Wow! Given that it's Texas, they are probably 3 of the 10 biggest in the country (no, there aren't hundreds of high schools of that size). I thought to myself, wow, I bet they are absolutely dominant, given the numbers. I looked them up and they had losing records. I posted that it was really surprising. Lesson learned, you never know who is on here (or anywhere) and it turned out that another poster has a kid on one of the teams. Then I unwisely had a back and forth with Adbono, some of which was just in fun (on my side at least), but still probably should have been avoided.

I learned awhile ago that the golden rule only works perfectly if the two people have the same sensitivities. If my son's team (or my alma mater for that matter) had a losing record, it wouldn't bother me if someone said they weren't very good -- heck, I would probably say it -- but just because it wouldn't bother me, that doesn't mean it won't bother someone else. So I deleted the post.

One thing I didn't do is call Adbono (or anyone else) any names. But if it makes you feel better, go for it. 

I called you that name because you came off like that. Your logic is flawed and apparently you think because you play in a league with a couple of teams whose players are committed to D1 schools you have this incredible pulpit to say who is competitive and who isn’t. I can tell you this, only one of those teams are going to win their league, the rest will probably be viewed as non-competitive. What bothers me the most about your post is your entitled view of what competitive baseball means. You can have a league in which none of the players are college bound be competitive. If a team is in every game but lose them all by 1-run, are they not competitive? If they are a public school, your view seems to be yes. What school does your kid play for, I have friends in LA are MLB scouts, I will have them come by and let me know how competitive they are.

Chicago643 posted:
2019Dad posted:

I called you that name because you came off like that. Your logic is flawed and apparently you think because you play in a league with a couple of teams whose players are committed to D1 schools you have this incredible pulpit to say who is competitive and who isn’t. I can tell you this, only one of those teams are going to win their league, the rest will probably be viewed as non-competitive. What bothers me the most about your post is your entitled view of what competitive baseball means. You can have a league in which none of the players are college bound be competitive. If a team is in every game but lose them all by 1-run, are they not competitive? If they are a public school, your view seems to be yes. What school does your kid play for, I have friends in LA are MLB scouts, I will have them come by and let me know how competitive they are.

Wow.....let it go.  He has apologized TWICE!  Your dragging this on is getting old really fast.  Have a great weekend everyone....let's get rid of this snow so we can get back outside...seems like cabin fever is making some of us awfully grouchy

Chicago643 posted:

If a team is in every game but lose them all by 1-run, are they not competitive?

I guess it depends on the definition you use:

1. Competitive:  inclined, desiring, or suited to compete

OR

2. Competitive : as good as or better than others of a comparable nature.

"a car industry competitive with any in the world"

By definition 1 the teams that loose by 1 run in most games would be competitive.

By definition 2 teams that loose over half their games would not be competitive.

LOVE this quirky English Language!
Chicago643 posted:
2019Dad posted:

Well, Chicago, so far I have seen you attack Fenway ("didn't you say one of your sons was only a bullpen catcher?") and then not even say "my bad" or apologize in any way (at least publicly) when you were corrected, and then go completely off the rails here. So I will refrain from engaging with you.

2019Dad posted:

At my son's HS.....

• If two players are viewed as comparable in the coaches' eyes, the younger player will get the playing time. The older player has to be better than the younger player... to win the job.

I believe the opposite.   I believe that if two players are comparable*, the older player gets the job.   I believe it causes better team chemistry, which causes more wins.

(*comparable in ability, work ethic, drive, and character)

Last edited by freddy77
CaCO3Girl posted:
Chicago643 posted:

If a team is in every game but lose them all by 1-run, are they not competitive?

I guess it depends on the definition you use:

1. Competitive:  inclined, desiring, or suited to compete

OR

2. Competitive : as good as or better than others of a comparable nature.

"a car industry competitive with any in the world"

By definition 1 the teams that loose by 1 run in most games would be competitive.

By definition 2 teams that loose over half their games would not be competitive.

LOVE this quirky English Language!

Let's put this to rest.  First of all - who my kid is and where he plays has nothing to do with this, and frankly that should never have been brought up by anyone. I recruit and evaluate talent in the area I live in. I know who is competitive and who isn't . Nobody in California knows what high schools in Texas are competitive. Unless they are a scout or a coach or somehow in the baseball business. Win- loss records are not the be all end all.  Using that logic UCF would be ranked #1 in college football. Granted a 14 -16 record is not impressive. But the level of competition here is better than some seem to grasp. Even with records like that the high schools in Plano are competitive. I know that because I see them on a regular basis. I took offense to someone sitting on the left coast trying to tell me what is going on in my own backyard. Things are not always as they seem to be at first blush. But as far as I'm concerned this is over. 

adbono posted:

Plano West is Jr/Sr only, correct?  Do you recall the enrollment through the years you mention?  I recall close to 3,000.

Go44dad posted:
adbono posted:

Plano West is Jr/Sr only, correct?  Do you recall the enrollment through the years you mention?  I recall close to 3,000.

Send me a PM if you want to talk about this 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.