Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Son was offered at a few schools.  In all cases, the communication (email, texts, calls) volume and frequency increased significantly and became more timely.   That was a telltale sign.  Offers for unofficial and official visits were extended and incentives offered.  One school made the offer of setting up a meeting with the Dean for his intended college.  Clearly the message is we want you, and they followed through.

The truest tell-tale sign was coaches actually doing what they said they were going to do, and doing in the timeframe they said they would do it in.

Just my experiences and observations.  Best of luck!

Son was at a PBR event at the school he ended up committing to. we had been told that the coaches of the school couldn't be there. He pitched well.

As we were leaving, it started to rain, and the pitching coach at the school pulled up, rolled his window down and said "dude, we need to figure out how to get you into a State U uniform."

He invited him to a camp at the school later in the year, they made him an offer after he pitched an inning.

Son got several offers at a variety of levels, D1, D2 and JUCOs. D1s and D2s were similar, they'd invite him to a camp, see him on campus, and then make an offer. JUCOs would invite him to come visit, but we were tightening our focus at the time and he declined some of those. One such coach came to see him pitch, then walked up to him after the game and handed him a piece of paper with an offer. I'm still not sure what school it was.

Son had been on an unofficial visit to the school in March or April of Junior year.  The coaches said they would be watching and told him to keep in touch.    The PC and RC each came out and seen him pitch during HS season.   We knew they were really interested and the HC was on hand when son pitched in his first showcase game of the summer.  Less than an hour after the game ended, he got a call from the RC asking if we could come by the school the next day (we live 20 minutes away).  They offered.

I do remember one question that was asked by two RCs at two different programs prior to offer being made, and that was, "Are you ready to commit?"  And when this question is asked while on a UV and being driven around in a golf cart, or in the HC's office, what they're really asking is, "Are you ready to commit HERE?" 

Coaches can be guarded about their offers, and don't want them to be used as leverage with a rival program.  The question is a safe way for them to ask in a roundabout way, that if they offered you today, would there be a good chance you'd say yes?  Instead of them going out on limb, making the offer and you stalling with, "Well, coach I really need more time."  And then go call your #1 school and tell them you just got an offer from #2 school etc.  and play the leverage game with their offer.  Some coaches don't care about you playing this game with their offer, but others have such pride in their programs that they will tell you up front, "Do NOT use our offer as leverage with another program.  We do not appreciate that."

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

Bryce was invited to Perfect Game with Ohio Elite in Ft. Myers. Best move we did with his recruiting (we live in MI). He hit 90 mph for the first time with a bunch of scouts watching. This was in Oct. of his junior year. He got calls the next day to make arrangements for visits.  Offers came at those visits. You need to get exposure. Very grateful to Chris Valentine at Prep Baseball for giving Bryce this shot. 

too.tall posted:

The common thread seems to be that the high school coach had no role or a very minimal role in the recruiting process and that the travel coach played a lead role.  

This is a good observation Too Tall.  Ironically, I've heard several college coaches say that they prefer to talk to the HS coach as he sees the boys during the school year and understands how they balance academics with athletics/time management, etc.  Interested to hear from others on whether the HS coach played a role...

Midwest Mom posted:
too.tall posted:

The common thread seems to be that the high school coach had no role or a very minimal role in the recruiting process and that the travel coach played a lead role.  

This is a good observation Too Tall.  Ironically, I've heard several college coaches say that they prefer to talk to the HS coach as he sees the boys during the school year and understands how they balance academics with athletics/time management, etc.  Interested to hear from others on whether the HS coach played a role...

The D1 HC actually spoke to everyone other than the HS HC.  I got word that opposition coaches, opposition travel coaches in the area, a juco AC and a parent who is an acquaintance. The D1HC basically inquired about what type of character, ethics, leadership, ego, and work ethics my son had.  Very few questions were about baseball ability.  I don't know if this is the norm but thought it was a pretty unique procedure. 

My son's case started September of his senior year. 3 schools showed interest, one was eliminated because no scholly until his jr year if he lasted.  Mid October his top short list school presented a verbal offer. Within 3 days after some discussion an agreement was reached and in a few weeks NLI was signed.  So it happened very fast but over a very slow process. End of day everything happens for a reason. Initially things could have been better if done differently but the results that he experienced is a dream come true for him. Trust in the process, trust in Him.

Last edited by Trust In Him

First one was from a school which was close to home, coach was his "dugout coach" at event and talked about him making contributions to program. School saw a few of his HS games. HS coach told son there was great interest in him signing.

Second one was after UV at school. School saw him at a showcase (again was in dugout specifically to see son). This school saw him play American Legion games on 2 separate occasions. Legion coach gave him a heads up that offer was imminent

In third case, emails and cell phone texts were greater during the period right before offer. Asst coach was in dugout at Showcase event; recruiter went to Legion game against top team in state. Legion Coach told son that he had to be patient that offer was likely coming and he was at top of their board. .

Midwest Mom posted:
too.tall posted:

I agree with BACDORSALIDER.   It is a collection of information between HS Head Coach and Travel Coach that is used to get insights into what makes a recruit tick.  When my son was considering local and regional schools that were more focused on baseball ability;  his travel coach was significantly more involved in outgoing and incoming calls.    Later in the process when son was considering high academic schools both his HS Coach and Travel Coach were contacted.  There were specific questions about his work ethic, interests, class rigor,  leadership and baseball skills.

For any school that values their scholarship dollars or high academic schools that values their slot picks, I think it is very reasonable to expect a recruits high school coach  AND travel coach to be contacted. 

I don’t know that colleges contacted sons travel coaches much, partly because we play summer baseball so they saw him mostly at HS games and talked to the coaches there. But I do know his college coach talked to his HS coaches, his USSSA coach who played for until he was 14, and his varsity basketball coach before making an offer. 

The experience for my 2019 was similar to the previous posts so I won't repeat the same stories. But I will add this:  One school which offered my son told us that they put much more credence in what his HS coach said about son's character, attitude and work ethic than what the summer coach told them.  In their experience, the HS coaches were more honest and frank than were the summer coaches because in their opinion, the summer coach's job is to market the player to college programs while the HS coach has less skin in the game. So even though in many instances the HS coach plays a minimal role in the college recruiting process, do not discount the value they can add when the RC calls them. Just my two cents.

too.tall posted:

This depends mostly on the credibility and reputation of the HS coach in question.  Good HS coaches are often very involved in promoting their players and helping them get placed in college programs.  MLB scouts and college coaches talk to the better HS coaches all the time.  Unlike travel team coaches, HS coaches aren't being paid by the players' families - so a good HS coach that really knows the game and can evaluate talent is an awesome source of information.  Unfortunately, there are way more HS baseball programs out there than there are really good HS baseball coaches. There are also way more travel teams out there than there are good travel team coaches.  But scouts & college coaches know who the good ones are - and that's where they go for feedback.

I was fortunate to see that several times:

-When the Pitching Coach pulled him outta the dugout after he threw an inning on Campus at camp and then took him for a walk down the line while the HC was simultaneously walking up to introduce himself to me .

- When at another on Campus Camp, the HC called out his last name real loud and asked him to come over and talk to him after he had just thrown an inning.

Both schools offered on the spot.

HC came to a Friday HS game near the end of my sons Sophomore season and asked my son if he would like to come to one of their games on Sunday, get a tour of the campus before the game and meet the coaching staff after the game. Offer made.  One week later, RC saw my son at a combine and called the travel coach to have my son call. Offer+ made. A week later, after discussion, son calls to tell RC he isn't ready to commit yet. About 9 months later, PC sees my son at a tournament and RC calls the travel coach to have son call him. Offer++ is made and accepted.

FFXfireman posted:

HC came to a Friday HS game near the end of my sons Sophomore season and asked my son if he would like to come to one of their games on Sunday, get a tour of the campus before the game and meet the coaching staff after the game. Offer made.  One week later, RC saw my son at a combine and called the travel coach to have my son call. Offer+ made. A week later, after discussion, son calls to tell RC he isn't ready to commit yet. About 9 months later, PC sees my son at a tournament and RC calls the travel coach to have son call him. Offer++ is made and accepted.

Very cool sounds like they really liked him!  Hope the Offer++ has worked out!

Qhead posted:
FFXfireman posted:

Very cool sounds like they really liked him!  Hope the Offer++ has worked out!

He is a 2018, so we shall see! 

Short answer: At unofficial visit as a HS Soph -In state D1-ACC

Long answer: HC above leaves. No more interest from new HC who has been recruiting for former school and has not put eyes on Joey. No calls , no contact , all done.

Joey heads south for summer ball and showcases and is followed by all school coaches over 3 weeks and gets a offer to top D1 program. 

No other offers or interest existed.

Joey played in SEC and is now a minor leaguer.

IMO- NLI was the official offer. Until NLI there is no offer.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.