Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

bacdorslider posted:

Player wants to transfer from a D2 ( only academic money, no NLI, no athletic) 

What are the conditions for a D2 to D1 ?  D2 to D2  and D2 to D3.   I think he can go Juco and NAIA at anytime. Does he need to get permission letter to talk to new schools from NCAA ?

Rick at Informed Athlete is the way to go.  Speaking to him directly provided us with a world of information.

A friend's son went D2 to D1 and had to sit....but he was on scholarship.  I'm not an expert...and again, Rick will probably be the best source for an answer....but the NCAA site regarding transfers says this....regarding a one time transfer exception:   FYI....baseball was in the paragraph above it, which would be the "previously mentioned sports" part of this paragraph

If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.

Last edited by Buckeye 2015
bacdorslider posted:

Ok guys , here is more info on said player.   he was a red shirt freshman last season,  wants to go back to Juco or NAIA  .... I think he's good to go to either correct?  But if after 2 years of Juco and he pops back into a NCAA school then he would have 2 more years?

I would really encourage him to talk to Rick Allen. IMO, his phone and email consultations are very cost effective.

Are you saying that he can transfer to juco this semester (spring)? One key factor is the difference between "seasons of participation" for D1 vs D2/D3. D1 uses 5 calendar years while D2/D3 uses 10 full-time semesters. I believe that juco stint could also be for just one year, but not 100% sure about that.

It’s five years to play four once the clock starts ticking. I think the clock starts ticking with a semester of three classes. I’m not certain how the NAIA fits in the scenario. I think it’s an immediate eligibility situation. But the JuCo would be a typical 4-2-4 maneuver.

Rick has all the answers on this stuff.

Last edited by RJM

Thanks to all above for the positive and supportive remarks!! 

Regarding the original question, the conditions for transfer (and the outcome) can vary with each level of college depending upon a number of factors, including his recruitment status, his academic standing, whether his coach will release him, etc., as well as what his ultimate goal is.  Is it to take a shot at Division I, or is it to just find a place to get playing time and enjoy the game?    

if He wants playing time He should have transferred at semester to a juco and could be competing right now for playing time in the spring. Now he will have to waste this year sitting at the 4 year and spend next year at a junior college. There isn’t much time to sit around and not take action. You also most likely need to attain an associates degree from the 2 year school in order to transfer back to an NCAA school

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.