Skip to main content

rynoattack posted:

Ryan is majoring in Accounting, and it has been an adjustment for sure.  He did great during summer school, because all he had to do was take 2 classes and train.  Once the Fall started, he had workouts at 6 AM, Classes, Practice, Study Hall, Weekly Academic Progress Meetings with the Advisors, etc.  There is just very little time for help. So if your son is taking a hard class for them, Ryan's hard class was Calc II this Fall, it can be very difficult to utilize the resources that other students may have time for.

Son is a junior Accounting major at a public D3. This semester was the first where he couldn't stay on track with the recommended schedule. ACCT 305 was only offered in the afternoon and prof told him there would be zero accommodation for his baseball schedule. Luckily, the school is large enough that it's offered in the fall.

rynoattack posted:

Ryan is majoring in Accounting, and it has been an adjustment for sure.  He did great during summer school, because all he had to do was take 2 classes and train.  Once the Fall started, he had workouts at 6 AM, Classes, Practice, Study Hall, Weekly Academic Progress Meetings with the Advisors, etc.  There is just very little time for help. So if your son is taking a hard class for them, Ryan's hard class was Calc II this Fall, it can be very difficult to utilize the resources that other students may have time for.

Good for him.  My oldest is graduating this spring with an Accounting major.  I think its one of those degrees that most folks don't realize the amount of time that goes into it.  Between making sure you have the 150 credit hours to sit for the CPA, making sure your grades are kept up to stay in Accounting school and prepping for the CPA it has more of a time suck then other non-technical degrees.  

///bragging father/// My son was able to line up a job at a top Accounting firm here in Chicago starting next October.  Seems like a long way away, but it gets the firm through busy season, gives them time to train the new hires prior to the next busy season and gives my son time to prepare for, and hopefully pass the CPA exams. ///bragging father off///

My 2018 was originally planning to be a history major and eventually teach and coach. But then he learned about  something called "sports studies." As explained to him, this is actually the history of sports. It sounds like it could be a fluff major to get athletes by, but I'm assuming that while the faculty may be sympathetic to athletes, the courses on The American Vacation and Baseball in America are going to be harder than they sounds. Now if i could just figure out how he'll make that a job!!

As a pitcher, real initial interest will come when his HS coach gets a call asking , "when will Joey be starting."

HS coach is now a member of your team. Let him know the schools you've provided a schedule to and ask if can contact them or tell Joey when he'll be pitching.

if there is a change in rotation, contact them immediately.

HC and recruiting staff have limited time and understand the HS dynamic.

its joey's responsibility to keep them updated on his appearances.

good luck

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.