Skip to main content

I am a hitter having some timing issues. I can hit all pitching up to around 80 mph just fine but am having a hard time timing up faster pitching. I would like to fix the problem now before I go into the high school an Summer season. Does anyone have any drills to work on timing or any suggestions?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don’t really know of any drills but it is important to have a serious approach to getting your timing down while in the batter’s box. 

Your swing shouldn’t change with faster or slower pitching but what should change is when you start and when your front foot gets down. Obviously, you start the trigger/loading process earlier with faster pitching.

Lastly, make sure that you work on consistently hitting the ball out front. This can be achieved through soft/front toss or tee work.  Make sure that your not setting your tee up too deep. 

I've seen this type of issue before from hitters that are " all hands & arms" hitters. Make sure you are staring your swing with the big muscles (legs & hips). Think exploding from the ground up.

As for timing, key on the ball as it comes out of the pitcher's glove (it's important to read the pitcher's hands)...that's your key to shifting your weight back....shifting back too early or too late can cause timing issues.

Baseballcomesthird posted:

I am a hitter having some timing issues. I can hit all pitching up to around 80 mph just fine but am having a hard time timing up faster pitching. I would like to fix the problem now before I go into the high school an Summer season. Does anyone have any drills to work on timing or any suggestions?

If your coach gave you the hit and run sign after you'd seen a few 85mph fastballs, do you think you would be late, or on time?  In other words, you've have a chance to time the pitch, and there's no doubt in your mind that you're going to swing....(Btw, just asking whether you think you'd be on time; not asking whether you'd square it up.)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.