Skip to main content

Need some advice for my 2018 catcher.

Background…he is having an amazing senior season at a big public High School in Southern California. Batting .527, 20 RBIs, thrown out 9 out of 11 runners. Pop time below 2.0. He played for a high level club team, behind some very heavily recruited players. We have always told him he needs to pick a college that he would be happy with even if baseball was not in the picture.

He is trying to decide between attending a top D3 baseball program that wants him or try to walk on to the low level D1 baseball program at the school he really wants to attend. The D3 program has amazing baseball, amazing coaches and he likes the players. He just really wants to go to a bigger school. The D3 school is slightly smaller than his high school. The D1 school, the coach initially said last year that if he got in, they would give him a try out for a walk on spot. My son is admitted to the school with academic money. However, the coaching staff is not responding to his emails. We are planning on attending an admitted student day when the team is home and stay in town on their days off as well. The roster for this team does not have any players from California on it. Is it that the coaching staff believes players from Southern California will not want to attend an East Coast School?

Do players that finally have the opportunity to play their senior year and perform well, have opportunities to “walk on” to teams? Is there recruiting for uncommitted seniors after the MLB draft, when some players opt out of playing college ball?

What are your experiences / reality of players being able to walk onto D1 teams?

Thank you to all that post on this website! 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A mid major is unlikey to lose players to the draft. So roster spots are unlikely become available due to the draft. The larger programstend to over recruit and screw players if they don’t lose players to the draft. Sometimes a roster spot becomes available due to a player’s last minute decision not to return in the fall or an injury in summer ball. Assuming theres an available roster spot catchers probably have the second best chance to walk on after late blooming pitchers. But D1’s are limited to thirty-five roster spots. I wouldn't just show up.

I would keep working the coaching staff until the decision is made. A catcher may not be rostered. But he coukd be a bullpen catcher warming ip pitchers. I know of a kid who did this for two hears before being asked to join the team as a third catcher. He didn't play much. He wanted to be part of an ACC program. Personally i would rather get in the lineup at a lower level.

Since he was on a club team chances are he’s had his exposure and he was recruited to the right place. If baseball matters that much i would take the sure thing over the long shot. 

Last edited by RJM

The coaching staff is not responding to his emails because its in season AND this week is signing period.

You might want to contact them after the dead period.

Reality is that players that are true walk ons usually should go play where they are really wanted by the coaching staff.

As others continue to say, unless your kid is a mega-stud with a real shot at playing professionally (and you'd probably already have a good sense of this if it were the case), if you can afford it, your son should go where he'd be the most happy if "baseball did not work out." Is club baseball an option? Of course, he should keep working the phones for the NCAA team of his dreams, but be realistic...

My 2017 catcher had plenty of D3 interest, but he wanted to go to a big school in a rural environment. He did awesome at the club team tryouts and scrimmage game, but got the "it was a tough choice but we're only taking one catcher and you aren't it" speech. I thought he'd take it really hard, but it took him like a week to enjoy life without constant baseball and he got into mountain biking, hiking, racquet ball, working out even more, etc. He loves it and is doing very well. Plus, he's all set to play on his summer, adult/wood bat team again.

Last edited by Batty67

I have very limited data, just from what son told me last year.  Son played at mid-D1 for 3 years.  During that time there were 6-8 walk-on.  None of them made it past the first cut.  I know of at least 2 of them who were "all-league" from high school.  A personal friend of ours has a son who wanted to go to a private D3 school.  School wanted him for baseball real bad.  Only problem is that even with academic money and some grants, parents would have to pony up around $30K/year, which was too expensive.  The son went to a mid-D1 as a preferred walk-on.  He made the team, pitched 2 innings in 2 games, end of story.  Following year HC made him redshirt.  Next year he was cut, finished out the semester, transferred to JC for a semester.  2017 transferred to a very competitive JUCO baseball program, has done so-so.  Now talks about going back east to lower D1 program for 2018/2019.  In my mind he is spending just as much, if not more, now than what it would have cost to go to the private D3.  Go to where you will get a good education and some baseball love that fits your son. 

I'd take a look at this season's roster at the D1.   If there are 3 catchers (or more) and more than one is younger than a junior I'd say your chances are probably pretty slim, as they likely already have another 2018 catcher already lined up....and adding a walk on isn't likely.  From what I've seen, most walk ons are utility type guys....2B, 3B and some OF....I'd think being a walk on catcher would be tough because it's such an important position that they likely have the guys they want coming in (or already there) as recruited/scholly players.  Someone mentioned that it's a busy week for coaches, but that doesn't keep them from responding to an email.  I'd try for a couple more weeks....and if you don't get a response, unfortunately I'm thinking the interest is gone.   D1's do have fall tryouts....but obviously your son would have already had to make the choice to move across the country and attend the school before that can happen.  He's in a tough spot.  Best of luck to him

Thanks everyone!

It is always good to get others insight to share with my son. I think he needs to write up the pros and cons for both situations and with this feedback, it should help him with this task. His ultimate goal is to work in Baseball one day. He knows he is not going to play in the MLB. He just wants to play as long as he can because he truly enjoys the sport.  He has two good choices, with academic money at both. I don't think he can go wrong.

Thanks!

Playball310,

So, I have a few thoughts, comments  and self assessment focused questions based on  the information you've shared.

Every D1 is different.  They are not all the same.  With that said, his overall walk-on chances are not good at most D1 schools based on the people I know, and information that has been shared here.   A D1 coach that has no skin in the game (whether it is $$ or support with Admission) is not going to be pre-disposed to giving your son a fair shake.....that is what I've learned over the years on HSBBWeb.   There are rare exceptions.

What does your son want to do when he graduates?  Have him look into his crystal ball 4-5 years out.   Which is going to be more meaningful for him....the academic money he is receiving to attend a D1 he already told you he prefers or the opportunity to play D1 or D3 baseball?    

I agree with RJM...I usually do.   I think you've got to visit the school and the coaches to make sure this is the right fit.   Keep working the coaching staff until he can get a read on them and the situation.    Clearly the D1 school wants him academically, and they have determined he is a fit by offering $$ incentive which is good over 4 years (typically).   I'd like to see the coach provide some type of assurance that he will be  treated fairly with tryouts.

I purposely did not address the D3 school as the young man's preference was the D1 school and he is getting academic money.   I would look harder at the D3 school if the D1 school doesn't work out or fit for academics and baseball.  

As always, JMO.

Playball310 posted:

Thanks everyone!

It is always good to get others insight to share with my son. I think he needs to write up the pros and cons for both situations and with this feedback, it should help him with this task. His ultimate goal is to work in Baseball one day. He knows he is not going to play in the MLB. He just wants to play as long as he can because he truly enjoys the sport.  He has two good choices, with academic money at both. I don't think he can go wrong.

Thanks!

Well, actually, he can go wrong.  You said he just wants to play as long as he can.  You said his ultimate goal is to work in baseball some day.  You didn't answer my questions and I asked them for a reason.  If he tries to walk on at a D1, there is a very strong possibility that he will be out of competitive baseball at this time next year for good.  That doesn't match well with either playing as long as he can or ultimately working in baseball.

If you care to answer my questions, I will expand.

RJM posted:

A mid major is unlikey to lose players to the draft. So roster spots are unlikely become available due to the draft. The larger program tend to over recruit and screw players if they don’t lose players to the draft.  

For those that don't remember, my son decided not to play college ball.  He was being recruited by mid-D1 schools.  A couple of the schools that were recruiting him before he decided not to play in college unexpectedly lost a player to the draft.  Both schools called my son to see if he would reconsider and come there to play.  This was very late, after both the schools closed their admissions for the year and most kids have made their college selection.  After talking to both of the schools my kid made the choice to stay with his decision to attend a B1G school and not play ball.  From what we experienced my guess is when this happens the schools try to fill the spot rather quickly with kids that were on their board at some point.

I've posted this in an old thread, but it is worth repeating here, with updates: 

A Tale  of five D1 walk-ons.

Two of them are my cousins once removed (different parents, both a year older than my son, lot of baseball players in my extended family), one a former travel ball teammate and  HS rival of my son's.  The  fourth is  a guy we know that  transferred from  the school that my son ended up at to a Pac 12 program.    The fifth was the number 1 starter on my son's HS team.    

Both cousins were not just walk on but "preferred walk ons."   I know cause both their parents -- my first cousins were really happy about that status, despite the absence of a scholarship commitment.  It enabled the kids and the parents to say the were "recruited." 

Cousin A didn't last through fall ball at his "minor" D1.

Cousin B, who is a left handed pitcher,  made the fall team, but was one of the last guys cut before spring at his mid-major D1.

The travel ball teammate actually made the team. He was strongly encouraged by the coach as a walk on.  Don't know if he had the actual label of preferred walk on, but probably did.  In two years has had a total of like 5 ab's, at a big 10 D1. He is a fast kid, played outfield.  Probably would have been high on the depth chart at my son's D3.   Mostly used as a pinch runner at his school.  Was unceremoniously cut his junior year. 

The fourth guy, who was a starter his first two years at a powerhouse D3, -- my son's eventual school -- transferred for academic reasons mostly I gather,  made the team as a walk on at  a Pac 12 D1, but rode the pine for two years. 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot number five.  Number 1 pitcher for my son's HS team.  A  year behind my kid.  All League.  Good press from PG.   Lefty that topped out upper 80's, sat mid 80's.  Decent bat  (but no foot speed).  Recruited late in the game as a preferred walk-on by a mid major D1.   Didn't last through fall ball. 

Bottom line.  no matter what you call it,  the path of a walk on, preferred or not,  is not at all easy.

Last edited by SluggerDad

Question:  Given all the examples of kids who attempted to walk-on but either got cut in the Fall or in the Spring, what was the reason they were cut?  1) Was it that they were inferior to the players who were already there?  Or, 2) Was it due to the team being invested (scholarships, coach providing admission support etc.) in it's existing players and being reluctant to cut any of them (even if those existing players were inferior to the walk-on's)?  I'm thinking there's a lot of #2 going on...but I'd be interested in people's experiences.  

AD2018 posted:

Question:  Given all the examples of kids who attempted to walk-on but either got cut in the Fall or in the Spring, what was the reason they were cut?  1) Was it that they were inferior to the players who were already there?  Or, 2) Was it due to the team being invested (scholarships, coach providing admission support etc.) in it's existing players and being reluctant to cut any of them (even if those existing players were inferior to the walk-on's)?  I'm thinking there's a lot of #2 going on...but I'd be interested in people's experiences.  

You will never find any coach worth his salt  that's going to cut what he takes to be a superior player to keep  what he takes to be an inferior player.   Not saying that the coaches judgment is always necessarily right.  Everybody makes mistakes, has blinders on now and then, etc. But if they cut A and keep B, it's because they believe that B is better than A. 

Last edited by SluggerDad

My response will be a little different than others above - but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the other responses.  I just want to offer a different angle.

I tended to look at this a little different.  Is the choice of college from a baseball perspective only to allow my son to play more baseball?  Or is it to give him options in life beyond baseball?

Both of our sons (finished with college, now minor league players) would have said they wanted to be involved in baseball forever at age 17/18, but as their parent I wanted them to be prepared for the possibility that it wouldn't work out that way...or they may change their minds.

So their college choices were based on a) picking a school they were 110% happy about outside of baseball, b) would give them a good education and c) fit their abilities baseball-wise.

IF...the only college choices they would have had were not a good fit academically or for preparing them beyond baseball - they would not have played college baseball.

It seems to me that your son is telling you what he wants - to attend the college he wants to attend (big school) and take his chances with baseball (walk-on).   You, yourself said, "We have always told him he needs to pick a college that he would be happy with even if baseball was not in the picture."

Baseball is fleeting.  If your son is the next Buster Posey, you may get to play into your late 30s.  Why not follow your own advice?

my sons friend, 2017 HS grad. Had made his choice to attend D3 currently ranked in top 10, he received a late offer in spring of 17 from a semi local mid-major. Apparently they had a spot open up late. He took the offer since he always wanted to be a D1 player. Fast forward a year, he has zero AB's, zero innings in the field and wasn't traveling...where do you expect he would be happier at top 10 D3 or his current role as a nobody?

I hope it works out for him as I hope it works out for your son but to travel across the country asking for a chance to show you can play seems to be a very long shot for success

SluggerDad posted:

I've posted this in an old thread, but it is worth repeating here, with updates: 

Two of them are my cousins once removed (different parents, both a year older than my son, lot of baseball players in my extended family), one a former travel ball teammate and  HS rival of my son's.  The  fourth is  a guy we know that  transferred from  the school that my son ended up at to a Pac 12 program.    The fifth was the number 1 starter on my son's HS team.    

Both cousins were not just walk on but "preferred walk ons."   I know cause both their parents -- my first cousins were really happy about that status, despite the absence of a scholarship commitment.  It enabled the kids and the parents to say the were "recruited." 

Cousin A didn't last through fall ball at his "minor" D1.

Cousin B, who is a left handed pitcher,  made the fall team, but was one of the last guys cut before spring at his mid-major D1.

The travel ball teammate actually made the team. He was strongly encouraged by the coach as a walk on.  Don't know if he had the actual label of preferred walk on, but probably did.  In two years has had a total of like 5 ab's, at a big 10 D1. He is a fast kid, played outfield.  Probably would have been high on the depth chart at my son's D3.   Mostly used as a pinch runner at his school.  Was unceremoniously cut his junior year. 

The fourth guy, who was a starter his first two years at a powerhouse D3, -- my son's eventual school -- transferred for academic reasons mostly I gather,  made the team as a walk on at  a Pac 12 D1, but rode the pine for two years. 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot number five.  Number 1 pitcher for my son's HS team.  A  year behind my kid.  All League.  Good press from PG.   Lefty that topped out upper 80's, sat mid 80's.  Decent bat  (but no foot speed).  Recruited late in the game as a preferred walk-on by a mid major D1.   Didn't last through fall ball. 

Bottom line.  no matter what you call it,  the path of a walk on, preferred or not,  is not at all easy.

Does "cut" mean not making the travel roster, or not welcome to stay and practice with the team? The reason I ask is that in football, kids that may never travel or dress for a game are often kept for the "look" or scout team.  A lot of kids do it just to be a part of the program, particularly at larger schools.  Is that not an option in D1 baseball?

When making a college baseball decision its important to look at the big picture. If nine D3’s and one mid major D1 recruit a player its tempting for the player to select the D1. But if all the other interest comes from another level isn't it likely the one mid major is misjudging the player? When a player goes through the recruiting process for a couple of years the results mean something.

Last edited by RJM
LU 57 posted:
SluggerDad posted:

Does "cut" mean not making the travel roster, or not welcome to stay and practice with the team? The reason I ask is that in football, kids that may never travel or dress for a game are often kept for the "look" or scout team.  A lot of kids do it just to be a part of the program, particularly at larger schools.  Is that not an option in D1 baseball?

In the world of college baseball, "cut" means completely removed from the program.

LU 57 posted:
SluggerDad posted:

Cut means you are done.  You can't practice if you're not on the roster.  Football can have 120+ kids on the roster, which is why they have "scout team" guys  Not an option in D1 baseball.   Keep in mind that not all 33 guys travel (except likely on the Spring trip).....my son's school takes 27 (NCAA max I believe) to non-league away games and his league limits them to 24 for conference away games.   Some guys travel some games and not others....some guys never get to travel at all. 

cabbagedad posted:
LU 57 posted:
SluggerDad posted:

In the world of college baseball, "cut" means completely removed from the program.

Thanks for clarifying.  I thought this was the case, but was not sure.  I wonder why the NCAA makes this distinction for baseball.  I am fairly certain that basketball allows non-rostered practice players as well. 

In any case, I imagine there is a number of players that is too many to manage effectively in a baseball program.

LU 57 posted:
cabbagedad posted:
LU 57 posted:
SluggerDad posted:

Thanks for clarifying.  I thought this was the case, but was not sure.  I wonder why the NCAA makes this distinction for baseball.  I am fairly certain that basketball allows non-rostered practice players as well. 

In any case, I imagine there is a number of players that is too many to manage effectively in a baseball program.

Probably for the same reason they only allow 11.7 scholly's.....the damned "non-revenue sport" distinction lol

RJM posted:

When making a college baseball decision its important to look at the big picture. If nine D3’s and one mid major D1 recruit a player its tempting for the player to select the D1. But if all the other interest comes from another level isn't it likely the one mid major is misjudging the player? When a player goes through the recruiting process for a couple of years the results mean something.

I think you're generally right - but I don't think its too hard to come up with some names of players (in all college sports) that weren't properly evaluated or projected by recruiters at the time.  The infamous "late bloomers."

The question is, how do you figure out if your son is one of those...or not?

justbaseball posted:
RJM posted:

I think you're generally right - but I don't think its too hard to come up with some names of players (in all college sports) that weren't properly evaluated or projected by recruiters at the time.  The infamous "late bloomers."

The question is, how do you figure out if your son is one of those...or not?

Significantly noticeable improvement.

I played college ball at a mid major and we had probably 4 or 5 players walk on and make the team while I was there. It comes down to what the school needs. As a catcher that certainly helps. Coaches always need catchers to help catch bullpens. It's definitely a risk trying to go and walk-on, but it happens at the D1 level for sure. We had a guy walk-on and hit almost 20 HR's for us. So it's not impossible. But he has to have some tools that will stand out to a coach. 

Also, if he really wants to play D1 start contacting some Northern/Northeastern schools. The talent isn't as deep as you would expect and a good Cali catcher could garner some interest. Email info and a recruiting video to some schools he would be interested in. Worst case scenario he doesn't hear back, but an hour of your time emailing coaches could have an impact. 

NSCTalentScout posted:

I played college ball at a mid major and we had probably 4 or 5 players walk on and make the team while I was there. It comes down to what the school needs. As a catcher that certainly helps. Coaches always need catchers to help catch bullpens. It's definitely a risk trying to go and walk-on, but it happens at the D1 level for sure. We had a guy walk-on and hit almost 20 HR's for us. So it's not impossible. But he has to have some tools that will stand out to a coach. 

Were those 4 or 5 players true walk ons, preferred or somewhere in between?  What level of communication and feedback did they receive, if any, from the staff at the school prior to deciding to walk on?  The guy that walked on and hit 20 HR's... same questions.  Was there dialog with the staff prior to walk-on?

A kid from our local high school was told, “Sure, we would love to have you walk on.” The kid showed up for walk on tryouts. The head coach wasn't there. An assistant ran the session with a handful of current players helping out. After forty-five minutes the players were called off the field. They were thanked for coming and told the team already had a full roster. 

Before anyone askes why the team even bothered to hold a tryout it’s an NCAA requirement. At least it was at the time. 

Last edited by RJM
cabbagedad posted:
NSCTalentScout posted:

Were those 4 or 5 players true walk ons, preferred or somewhere in between?  What level of communication and feedback did they receive, if any, from the staff at the school prior to deciding to walk on?  The guy that walked on and hit 20 HR's... same questions.  Was there dialog with the staff prior to walk-on?

4 were true walk-ons. 3 were pitchers that had good stuff and  slipped through the cracks. 1 was a catcher who helped with bullpens and played for us for one season. And the last, "the 20 HR" guy was slightly recruited by our previous head coach. But he did not make the team after his initial fall. Two years later we got a new head coach and he tried out and made the team.

However, we also had plenty of players with us in the fall who had contact with our coaches previously but had to earn their spots in the fall. On average I'd say typically 5 players would be cut prior to the start of the season when the final roster was made.

NSCTalentScout posted:
cabbagedad posted:
NSCTalentScout posted:

4 were true walk-ons. 3 were pitchers that had good stuff and  slipped through the cracks. 1 was a catcher who helped with bullpens and played for us for one season. And the last, "the 20 HR" guy was slightly recruited by our previous head coach. But he did not make the team after his initial fall. Two years later we got a new head coach and he tried out and made the team.

However, we also had plenty of players with us in the fall who had contact with our coaches previously but had to earn their spots in the fall. On average I'd say typically 5 players would be cut prior to the start of the season when the final roster was made.

Thanks for the reply and welcome to the site.  It is very unusual for true walk-ons to stick with a D1's, let alone four of them at one school.  I, too, follow many players and schools and talk to many RC's.  Given your experience and your current efforts with a recruiting organization, IMO you may want to explore this area a bit more.  I suspect that you may find your personal experience in this regard is definitely not the norm and you will want to use caution in recommending a player take the true walk-on path, particularly with a player such as the OP who is getting no response from his targeted school.  It becomes a very high risk proposition for a player who has a primary goal of continuing to play.

I have questions, with the qualifier that: Yes, I know there are always rare exceptions.

Why would you want to walk on at a D1?  Just to brag that you "played" D1?  Don't you want to go where they want you?  Where you know you have a reasonable chance to actually play?  Is this a matter of Baseball being a low priority for you, and you want to go to a school mostly for the academics?  Then why would you go through the immense amount of work it takes to be on a D1 team if you aren't going to play?

I guess it could be pretty cool to be on the bench of an SEC team or a major D1 team that goes to the College World Series etc, but the chances of a walk on even being on the travel squad is really remote.

I could see someone who is a Baseball lifer who knows he won't go very far  as a player, who wants to be a coach, going to a specific D1 to learn from the coaching staff.  

But a player wants to play.   I really think it'd be a far more rewarding experience being in the starting lineup at a D3 than sitting the bench and never getting an at bat at a D1.

If you are a "late bloomer", why not go to a JUCO first and work on developing for another year or two?

As I said, I've got questions....

I could see someone who is a Baseball lifer who knows he won't go very far  as a player, who wants to be a coach, going to a specific D1 to learn from the coaching staff.  

I know of a kid that did this in basketball. Instead of going D2 he walked on at a D1 power. He never played when it mattered. He wants to be a coach. He decided part of his education would be learning by being coached by one of the best. He has a player’s NCAA championship ring. He's now a graduate assistant.

When he contacted the coach he sold himself as someone who would practice hard with the scout team against the starters, have a high GPA and graduate keeping their APR up. 

Last edited by RJM

Playbaseball310.......I think another thing your son from California may want to consider is that as of this minute here in NW Ohio, it's 32 degrees and snowing.  I didn't make it South for the Spring trip....but my son's team has played 16 games since they got back (4 cancelled due to weather) and 1 of them has been over 45 degrees.  Yesterday's DH got called because of snow....and tomorrow's home game isn't likely to be played in temps over 40.  My son's team has a kid from Santa Barbara that came in last fall.  He was already cold in November...and we had a pretty mild fall here lol.   This should be a HUGE consideration for your son.  It's no fun catching with snow flurries hitting you in the eyes

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Playbaseball310.......I think another thing your son from California may want to consider is that as of this minute here in NW Ohio, it's 32 degrees and snowing.  I didn't make it South for the Spring trip....but my son's team has played 16 games since they got back (4 cancelled due to weather) and 1 of them has been over 45 degrees.  Yesterday's DH got called because of snow....and tomorrow's home game isn't likely to be played in temps over 40.  My son's team has a kid from Santa Barbara that came in last fall.  He was already cold in November...and we had a pretty mild fall here lol.   This should be a HUGE consideration for your son.  It's no fun catching with snow flurries hitting you in the eyes

This has been an unusually cold spring. Yesterday afternoon, in mid April, in the afternoon I was scraping ice off my windshield. It was 28, feels like 21. 

Our sons both had the D-1 dreams and received interest, some letters and phone calls, but never an offer. Both could most likely have gone as preferred walk-ons. One accepted a D-2 scholarship, sat for 2 years, then transferred to a D-3 (CNU). The other decided early that if he didn't get an ACC offer, he was going to the D-3 where his brother had transferred. End result: both absolutely loved their college experience at the D-3. One played very little, the other was a 4 year starter, but both truly enjoyed their baseball, made many endearing friendships (and they all still have their college buddies fantasy leagues intact), got their degrees, and are doing very well in the business world.    D-3 schools  every year are contacted by lots of D-1 guys that decided sitting is no fun, but it took them a year or two  to learn that.   I have always like this advice : "Go to the school that you like the most that wants you the most."

RJM posted:

I know of a kid that did this in basketball. Instead of going D2 he walked on at a D1 power. He never played when it mattered. He wants to be a coach. He decided part of his education would be learning by being coached by one of the best. He has a player’s NCAA championship ring. He's now a graduate assistant.

When he contacted the coach he sold himself as someone who would practice hard with the scout team against the starters, have a high GPA and graduate keeping their APR up. 

My son wants to coach (if playing doesn't work). My biggest regret of his HS career is that he played basketball through his junior year. Team sucked and he sat and decided not to go out again.

His senior year they brought in a new coach who turned the program around and they had their first winning season in I think 15 years — I told son he missed a huge opportunity to learn from that experience.

There's lots of reasons to join a team in addition to playing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.