Skip to main content

hokieone posted:

Our sons both had the D-1 dreams and received interest, some letters and phone calls, but never an offer. Both could most likely have gone as preferred walk-ons. One accepted a D-2 scholarship, sat for 2 years, then transferred to a D-3 (CNU). The other decided early that if he didn't get an ACC offer, he was going to the D-3 where his brother had transferred. End result: both absolutely loved their college experience at the D-3. One played very little, the other was a 4 year starter, but both truly enjoyed their baseball, made many endearing friendships (and they all still have their college buddies fantasy leagues intact), got their degrees, and are doing very well in the business world.    D-3 schools  every year are contacted by lots of D-1 guys that decided sitting is no fun, but it took them a year or two  to learn that.   I have always like this advice : "Go to the school that you like the most that wants you the most."

Yep.  Of the players that have gone on to "play" D1 from my kids school/team.  2 his graduating year, and an additional 3 or 4 over the years he was at the HS.  Only 1 of them actually made it to their freshmen year college season.  All the others have dropped out or stopped playing baseball.  In fact the most promising prospect is now on his third school. 

They were blinded by the D1 thing. 

RJM posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Playbaseball310.......I think another thing your son from California may want to consider is that as of this minute here in NW Ohio, it's 32 degrees and snowing.  I didn't make it South for the Spring trip....but my son's team has played 16 games since they got back (4 cancelled due to weather) and 1 of them has been over 45 degrees.  Yesterday's DH got called because of snow....and tomorrow's home game isn't likely to be played in temps over 40.  My son's team has a kid from Santa Barbara that came in last fall.  He was already cold in November...and we had a pretty mild fall here lol.   This should be a HUGE consideration for your son.  It's no fun catching with snow flurries hitting you in the eyes

This has been an unusually cold spring. Yesterday afternoon, in mid April, in the afternoon I was scraping ice off my windshield. It was 28, feels like 21. 

Snow, 32 degrees and 30+ mph winds again today....another game cancelled.  The weekend looks better.....maybe even gonna see 50

Keep in mind that at many D1 programs, they have a catcher who was recruited and probably on scholarship. He has a back up. So being a walk on, you have to really be a hitter for them to add you onto the team. Can you play other positions?  Chances are you won't see much action if this the case. You don't want to be just a bp catcher.

Lest be honest, being part of a team is about playing. Most guys aren't really happy sitting on the bench.  Parents aren't either. I see the look on their faces when their sons don't come up to bat, or get on the bump. 

Go to a program where the coach really is interested, but be aware that some coaches make promises they can't keep. Go where you will be able to compete, meaning a program that fits your ability and of course, your intended major.

JMO

RJM posted:

I could see someone who is a Baseball lifer who knows he won't go very far  as a player, who wants to be a coach, going to a specific D1 to learn from the coaching staff.  

I know of a kid that did this in basketball. Instead of going D2 he walked on at a D1 power. He never played when it mattered. He wants to be a coach. He decided part of his education would be learning by being coached by one of the best. He has a player’s NCAA championship ring. He's now a graduate assistant.

When he contacted the coach he sold himself as someone who would practice hard with the scout team against the starters, have a high GPA and graduate keeping their APR up. 

One of the rare occurrences where it actually worked.  A local HS girl's basketball player walked on to a high D1 program.  She didn't make the team but they kept her as the student team manager.  Due to a few misfortunes of the team (injuries, maybe inelig, etc) they were short 1 roster player going into the season.  They gave that spot to the team manager.  She played sparingly but did score a few points.  Her claim to fame is she made it to the NCAA  finals and I think even got in for a few minutes.  Here it worked out great for this walk on.

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Playbaseball310.......I think another thing your son from California may want to consider is that as of this minute here in NW Ohio, it's 32 degrees and snowing.  I didn't make it South for the Spring trip....but my son's team has played 16 games since they got back (4 cancelled due to weather) and 1 of them has been over 45 degrees.  Yesterday's DH got called because of snow....and tomorrow's home game isn't likely to be played in temps over 40.  My son's team has a kid from Santa Barbara that came in last fall.  He was already cold in November...and we had a pretty mild fall here lol.   This should be a HUGE consideration for your son.  It's no fun catching with snow flurries hitting you in the eyes

Saw UCSB play this past weekend.  Sat there in shorts, sunscreen and an umbrella in hand.  Sorry buckeye 2015, here anything below 65 degrees we break out our parkas.

Trust In Him posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Saw UCSB play this past weekend.  Sat there in shorts, sunscreen and an umbrella in hand.  Sorry buckeye 2015, here anything below 65 degrees we break out our parkas.

Where is that dislike button 🤢👎

Trust In Him posted:
RJM posted:

I could see someone who is a Baseball lifer who knows he won't go very far  as a player, who wants to be a coach, going to a specific D1 to learn from the coaching staff.  

I know of a kid that did this in basketball. Instead of going D2 he walked on at a D1 power. He never played when it mattered. He wants to be a coach. He decided part of his education would be learning by being coached by one of the best. He has a player’s NCAA championship ring. He's now a graduate assistant.

When he contacted the coach he sold himself as someone who would practice hard with the scout team against the starters, have a high GPA and graduate keeping their APR up. 

One of the rare occurrences where it actually worked.  A local HS girl's basketball player walked on to a high D1 program.  She didn't make the team but they kept her as the student team manager.  Due to a few misfortunes of the team (injuries, maybe inelig, etc) they were short 1 roster player going into the season.  They gave that spot to the team manager.  She played sparingly but did score a few points.  Her claim to fame is she made it to the NCAA  finals and I think even got in for a few minutes.  Here it worked out great for this walk on.

But did it really work?   She could have started on a D3 team!

Players want to play. 

There are plenty of walk on success stories. David Berg set the saves record and Grant Watson won 30 games in his careeer at UCLA and both won a national championship.  One of the best catchers in the country right now was a walk on.  Are the odds against you?  Sure, but there are some guys that have great careers.  

Responding to Playball310's original post.  My 2018 was in a similar spot (C from CA) looking at academic East Coast schools.  Thought he had something in D3, but coach support fell through late (coach decided he needed the spot for a P) and 2018 didn't  make it through admissions.  Other interested D3s were in the Pac. Northwest, but not the right academic/location fit for 2018.  Looked into D1 walk-on options with schools he got into...and with one he was told he could be a Team Mgr. (which entails bullpen catching, throwing BP etc.) and with another he was told the coach doesn't bother with walk-ons (surprising given this team only had 29 guys in the dugout...and is one of the weaker D1 programs).  Although JC is an option, 2018 will likely hang it up after HS and move on with his education, as he's prioritizing academics at the right school over ball at the wrong school.  Message to Playball310...walking on and playing at D1 is likely an extreme long shot.  

LHFAN posted:

Here's a walk on success story at Texas: Jake McKenzie. Below tweet re the Longhorns game tonight game vs UT-RGV...pretty amazing!

"Walks on. Makes team. Becomes everyday player. Two-year starter. Plays all 9 positions in one game. 3.8 Petroleum Engineer. MAD respect !! Impossible is nothing

Jake McKenzie was a preferred walk on when he graduated from WT White HS in Dallas.  The UT coaching staff knew him and invited him to walk on at Texas. Jake knew going in that he had a good chance of getting a roster spot.  His situation is entirely different than that of the OP - whose chances of making the team as a walk on at any D1 school (without an invitation to do so) are less than one half of 1%.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.