Skip to main content

Senior captain refuses to come out of the game ... Coach chews him out and strips him of captaincy ... Parents complain ... Coach placed on administrative leave pending investigation

On Tuesday morning, Perry said, “I’ve taught 26 years at West Elementary and I’ve coached 18 seasons at Andover. It is unfortunate that anyone can make false allegations to the school and then the school feels like it has to react without hearing from the coach.“

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sp...21wVQYSDO/story.html

Note: Hockey parents in the same town got the hockey coach suspended earlier this year for accusations that never occurred. What happened was the district superintendent’s son was benched. 

** The dream is free. Work ethic sold separately. **

Last edited by RJM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The kid’s story in a social media post. Imagine a kid going after a coach on social media. If this is it kid, you’re done playing for me. You and the kid who refused to take the court. The kid has to go or the coach loses the team.

The coach is also a very successful football coach and girls basketball coach. He should tell the AD either the kid goes or he goes. It would only take days for the coaching interview offers to roll in. 

Last edited by RJM

The kid is a dumbass kid who should lose his captaincy and feel lucky he wasn't thrown off the team.

The real problem here is with the school district, they have allowed, enabled and it appears cultivated a culture where coaches are wrong until proven correct. They are the problem obviously along with the players and or parents in this situation. I don't see where this has anything to do with the coach and lets be honest, why would a coach want to coach in this district with this administration?

It is kind of funny as I tend to find many HS coaches to be self serving and have way to high of opinion of themselves and the roles they play.

FoxDad posted:

Every coach I played for or knew would have kicked this kid and the one who refused to go in off the team no matter how "good" he may be.

It is a shame a coach can be suspended and possibly lose his job over a mere accusation.

Let's be honest, this isn't this guy's "job" (and I'm sure FoxDad would agree).  He's a volunteer who gets a stipend for gas money.  That's just one of the many ironies with coaching school sports.  Parents and admin seem to always forget this point.  There is no incentive for this Andover, Mass. coach to coach (3) sports other than love of the games, interest in the kids, and a commitment to serve the community.  That's his pay, and yes, he willingly takes on that job.  

Hard to fire a volunteer, and even harder to find one.  

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

The social media post is the smoking gun for me here.  Hard to believe as a society we have come to this.  I've shared with mine, a quote I heard a long time ago and try to live by when communicating with others:

"Never write when you can speak, never speak when you can wink, never wink when you can nudge."

Where are the kid's parents re: this post???  Wow.  

The parents probably assisted with posting it. Look we have two separate society's. One believes its how they feel. One believes its what's real. One believes your feelings are the truth. One deals with the actual truth. The emotions and feelings crowd screams and cry's out until someone gives them what they want. The other crowd works for what they want and adapts and overcomes obstacles. Social media has become the emotional feelings weaklings sounding board. 

Sports are not fair. How come he gets this and my kid doesn't? My son is upset. He's not getting treated fairly. Blah blah blah. While the other crown hears "Suck it up and deal with it. Work harder. Overcome your obstacles. Be a team player. Keep fighting." 

One day they both enter the real world. Emotional feelings boy is living in Mommy's basement playing PS4. The Truth kid is working a job, raising a family, serving in the military, patrolling your streets, putting out fires - in other words dealing with the truth while Mommy of emotional feelings boy can't understand why baby won't move out. 

This is the family coaching tree. The article is ten years old. The coach’s kid is now competing for the starting QB job at BC. He started a game last year as a natural freshman. It’s believable a new AD would believe a snot kid over a legend.

This is the dad ten years ago ... 

Ernest J. Perry III is entering his 19th season as varsity basketball coach, and 11th at Salem. He was a basketball captain at Colby College (Class of 1987).

http://archive.boston.com/spor.../07/meet_the_perrys/

I read some of the readers comments in the current news story from various articles. Andover has a history of winning in most sports. Many from the town of concerned they may have trouble recruiting the best coaches anymore. This is the second incident in two seasons.

Last edited by RJM
Coach_May posted:

The parents probably assisted with posting it. Look we have two separate society's. One believes its how they feel. One believes its what's real. One believes your feelings are the truth. One deals with the actual truth. The emotions and feelings crowd screams and cry's out until someone gives them what they want. The other crowd works for what they want and adapts and overcomes obstacles. Social media has become the emotional feelings weaklings sounding board. 

Sports are not fair. How come he gets this and my kid doesn't? My son is upset. He's not getting treated fairly. Blah blah blah. While the other crown hears "Suck it up and deal with it. Work harder. Overcome your obstacles. Be a team player. Keep fighting." 

One day they both enter the real world. Emotional feelings boy is living in Mommy's basement playing PS4. The Truth kid is working a job, raising a family, serving in the military, patrolling your streets, putting out fires - in other words dealing with the truth while Mommy of emotional feelings boy can't understand why baby won't move out. 

As I read this post all I kept saying to myself was....YES.....YES....YES! Nice work coach.  

THE DECISION

This is a coach who has coached multiple teams per academic year for thirty years without an issue. He pulled a kid off the court. The kid refused. After the game the coach chews out the kid and takes away his captaincy.

The kid and his family filed a complaint. He’s still playing. The following is what the coach is required to do. And posters complain there aren't any good coaches. The reason is the bullsheep coaches go though now due to snot nosed, entitled, privileged kids and their parents who know they can work the system. The family played the race card. True or not school districts fear the race card.  

If i were the coach i would tell the district to take their coaching jobs and shove it. I would publicly blame my decision on the kid and the family. This coach is a legend. He would have new coaching interview offers within days.

As part of his reinstatement, Perry was required to apologize to the team for the use of profanity, insensitive language, and other commments that have created an atmosphere of fear around the team.

He must also engage in anger management, complete an online training course on racial insensitivity, and meet with athletic director Bill Martin to develop coaching strategies that focus on positive reinforcement.

Don’t ever tell a player again he’s not as good as he thinks he is. Don't ever again bench a player. Don't ever again discipline a player. Never forget the players and parents run the team. They pay taxes. You work for them. 

The terms of reinstatement is supposed to be private and sealed information based on the terms and conditions of the state teachers union contract. It somehow leaked to the press. Does anyone wonder if the new AD has an agenda? He pulled the same crap on the hockey coach this winter. In neither case was there clear evidence any of the accusations were true. It was the word of a handful  disgruntled players and parents versus the coach. 

Last edited by RJM

Shameful, the only good thing I can think of in a situation like this is these are the types of kids raised in an environment that will cripple them as adults. My boys, who are raised completely different, will be competing against them in the workplace one day, they'll win that game. Isn't that the point of playing sports and more specifically team sports? Life lessons?

Lessons that they are learning by being coached, being a teammate and being held accountable for their actions singularly/part of a team. 

To all the good coaches that are doing it the right way for the right reasons, Thank You.

I am all for a good butt chewing and can handle a few F bombs, but the reality is that is life in school these days.  Old School is out.  "New School" is in.  Heck it's even in the pros these days.  

What would you do if the Math teacher gave a good butt chew and dropped some F bombs to boot because the kids didn't do well on test?  

He could be a coach at another school, but it'd be the same thing all over again.  They realized that they have power over schools.  Schools need enrollment to make money.  We always knew that but we never understood that we could use that fact against them..not until we became adults.  Kids know that schools aren't going to suspend them 30 times just for saying the f-bomb all throughout the day.  They're not going to expel 99% of the student body.  This kid knew he was going to keep playing volleyball no matter what since nobody is going to care about some coach who makes $1.50/hr, legend or not.  He knew his parents would always have his back because they invested a lot of money into knee pads and mesh shorts and he's their darling little boy.  We had parents that would've beaten us with a belt for acting like this.  He's never been spanked in his life and if his parents ever tried he'd call the cops on them without hesitation.     

TURNS OUT THE LEAK TO THE PRESS WAS FALSE

In his sixth season as volleyball coach, and the 18th overall as a varsity coach in the athletic program, Perry was reinstated after an internal investigation determined the allegations of Perry using racially insensitive or otherwise condemning language were unfounded.

In other words a snot nosed kid and his family was willing to lie and get a coach fired for disciplining him.

This is the same result as the investigation into the hockey coach. The AD suspended him when the parent of benched player charged the him with abuse.

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.