Skip to main content

Top of the 8th score is tied. 2 outs man on second. Ball hit down the third base line. Home plate umpire calls fair ball , runner scores. Run goes up on scoreboard. Home team HC comes out to argue. Then umpires huddle for about 3-4 minutes and they overturn the play. At that point the visiting HC comes out to argue. Hitter strikes out.

Doesn't matter the outcome of the game, just wondering if I am missing something.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TPM posted:

Top of the 8th score is tied. 2 outs man on second. Ball hit down the third base line. Home plate umpire calls fair ball , runner scores. Run goes up on scoreboard. Home team HC comes out to argue. Then umpires huddle for about 3-4 minutes and they overturn the play. At that point the visiting HC comes out to argue. Hitter strikes out.

Doesn't matter the outcome of the game, just wondering if I am missing something.

Bad mechanics on PU.  You don't call "fair"... you stay silent... point to fair territory and let the play develop.  If he verbalized "fair ball" the defensive coach had a valid complaint... that his LF "quit" on the play thinking the call was foul.  You can't unring a bell.  The ump made an error and had to eat it.

Another scenario would be that the defensive coach asked for help.. because the ball was so clearly foul.  The PU should not have asked for help as his partner in the B position could not have a better view of the foul line.  PU has fair / foul call on both lines when BU is in B.  As a PU I would not ask for help on fair / foul from my partner in B.  I know his job is watching the runners for touching bases, interference.  He is not watching the ball.  I am not putting him on the spot for my error.   Likewise as a BU, if my partner came to me on that call... I am telling him ... I didn't see the ball - I was watching the runners.  100% your call.

Either way ... bad mechanics / teamwork by the men in blue.

TPM posted:

Thank you. I wasnt there, only going by announcer so could be that the PU never called fair.  Not so sure so I apologize for that. 

Either way the coach had a right to question, but had never seen all 3 umpires have a meeting and reverse the call.  

That's a hint (maybe).  With R2 only, the umpires *could have been* (the specific positioning depends on the mechanics being used) in positions B and D (one in the middle; one behind third).  The call, then , would belong to the umpire behind third.  If he signaled "foul" and the home plate umpire signaled "fair" -- it's a foul ball.

With 2 outs and R2 there should not be an umpire on the line at 3rd since the play that will likely occur will be at first base.  So you should have PU, U1 on the line, and U3 in the C position.  No idea from the description as to why this call might have been overturned and if I was a coach I may have been ejected on that call!!

Sorry been a busy day. It was a fly ball landed by 3rd base foul pole that was called fair. Doesn't matter who called it fair, though my understanding it was the PU moving towards 3rd,  the runner from second ended up scoring the go ahead run.  Score goes up on scoreboard. Only then when the pitcher was preparing to pitch did the other HC come out to talk to the umpire who then conferenced with the other 2 . It took them like 5 minutes to decide it was foul. 

It's strongly believed that not only by the visiting team but the home team the call was a poor one.

It's things like that when it's believed calls like that are " home boy " calls.   The win was especially important to for the home team, which they didn't get anyway.

Visiting HC said in like his 20 some years in college coaching never seen a call like that over turned.

But then there is always a first.

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.