Skip to main content

Cool article, reminds me of our HS team with 5 D1s and a few more to sign before school is out. One 2015 D2 submarine pitcher, two 2016 D1 guys (1 of those may go Juco) and probably one more D1/D3 (w/ Brains) to sign late. All but 3 pitch.

Spring 2015 should be fun.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Art...w.aspx?article=10716

"Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit."

Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by Shoveit4Ks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son's local 14 yr old  Babe Ruth team ended up with 4 Division 1 players (3 pitchers and a first baseman) and a draftee as their catcher ended up going pro after being drafted out of High School...plus the left fielder went Division 2 as a quarterback... not too bad for a northern Wisconsin town. They all ended up at out of state schools too.  We definitely had a lot of fun that summer. 😊

Interesting to hear how many kids who've played together end up going on to college....how about this....

My son played 2 seasons of travel ball at 10U and 11U....only carried 10 kids...one left and was replaced the second year...so 11 total kids over 2 season.

2 D1 baseball

3 D2 baseball

3 Juco Baseball (2 had D1 offers)

1 D2 football QB

1 D1 golf

1 D1 basketball PG

The coach back then sure knew how to pick his players....lol

There are high schools that send several baseball players on to college baseball at some level.  There are some that seldom have a player reach the next level.

There are about 300 DI baseball programs.  Combining private and public High Schools in the USA that total appears to be somewhere above 30,000 depending on where you research.  Then there are Canadian, Puerto Rico and other places that send players to colleges in the USA.

The average DI scholarship players per team would somewhere around 5 players receiving some type of scholarship.  I know some recruit a larger class, but some recruit very few.  If these numbers are anywhere close to accurate there will be about 1,500 freshman on scholarship playing DI baseball.  That would average out to less than one DI baseball freshman for every 20 high schools. So on average it would take more than 120 high schools to produce six DI baseball players. You would expect something like that happening in the most competitive states like California, Florida, Texas or Georgia.  However it is extremely rare, maybe never before done, in the state of Arkansas. 

Son played on a team that ended up nationally ranked in a number of polls a few years back.  Place was a powerhouse - had 7 DI's on the Varsity (2 ACC recruits) and a few more on the JV including a future SEC recruit. 

It actually brings up an interesting point about what happens to the players when there is so many good players in such a small space. The games were life and death.  If you don't get the job done there are very capable players waiting to take your spot.  Much like college ball I suspect.

It was actually kind of shocking to watch a HS team dominate many opponents and have almost no fun doing it.  I can remember new parents being very peppy and cheerful at first but they became washed out like everyone else after about two weeks of games. 

It was always interesting to break in a new Dad.  I was taught when my son was in 8th grade from a parent that had an older kid and a son playing with mine.  It was right on the money so I never changed a word:

It won't ever be fun and if he doesn't start the first game as a Junior it might be over for him as far as being a player here. 

In hindsight it was all sad and unnecessary.  I think that having a team that is just playing the game for the games sake - would have been a lot more fun to watch and for the players to play. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.