Skip to main content

What is the average time for a 60 yard dash for a 14 year old and also a 15 year old.

I can't seem to get any straight answers and the dads who tell me their son runs 6.9 or 7.2 are just inflating the truth.

I had one dad swear his son ran a 7.4 and his son is 14 and fast but when he ran he average 7.99.

My son suffered a setback last year due to major surgery for testicular torsion. His testosrone levels were low and currently he is regaining to normal levels again so he works so hard. His defensive skills are above average and he plays select and always start. His batting is getting stronger all the time. He is not the tallest 5' 3" but he is around 120 and very very strong now.

His time currently is 8.2 in the 60 and he was guned at 69 mph. He is a 3rd/SS/2nd/LF and can pitch if needed. He is currently working with a strength and speed coach. He was running the 60 last year at 9.2 so he has made good improvement.

Any thought are very much welcomed.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I feel where you are coming from but it's a tough question to answer. Might be easier to answer for a specific position. Ie., I tend to think a "typical" 14 year old catcher at <8.0 would be pretty good. At 17-18,catchers (I've seen) range from a couple in the 6.65 range to a few right around 7.0 and a bunch at 7.3 and above and 1 or 2 @ >8.0
just my thoughts and observations after seeing a whole bunch of catchers run 60s

ETA Your son is moving into a major growth stage. Be patient and see how it turns out. My favorite speed drill is 80% interval sprints up hills for 12-15 sec each. Also make sure he is not running flat footed. High knee skipping drills on the toes
Last edited by gonefishin
It's nice to hear that your son is doing much better after major surgery last year. At age 14/15, I have to assume that your son is an incoming freshman? If so, I wouldn't worry about his 60 yard time yet! He'll be going thru the typical maturation process over the next couple of years, and his 5'3" 120LB frame will change with it.

I'd do as gonefishin has advised, and work on some speed drills with him. I see he plays a number of positions right now. If he ends up as a corner infielder/outfielder, speed is a little less important. However, if he wants to stay in the middle of the field (SS/2B/CF), speed and foot quickness etc... is very important. If you want to gauge where your son should be at in the next two years or so, log onto the Perfectgame website and check out recent showcases. You'll get a good idea where kids around the country are at in the 60. Best of Luck!
quote:
Originally posted by rowandfan:
we had a conditioning coach who knew way more about track than baseball and I worked a lot with him.

Track coaches are a valuable resource. Mine went from running flat footed in 7th grade to being a winning hurdler in 8th & 9th in large part because they taught him HOW to run. Although as the coach in Chariots of Fire said, "We can't put what God's left out."
For some additional reference, at 14U in Feb of his 8th grade year, my son ran a 7.64 at a showcase. This past December at 17U, he ran a 6.59 at a showcase. Within the last week, he ran a 4.4 40 as one of the pre-season football tests...

He has always been quick, but the coaches never mentioned him when they talked about the speed on their team until this year...

As far as the arm goes, back at 14U, my son was gunned at 72 in that showcase...don't know if they gunned him at the December showcase last winter...I'd estimate mid-80s, but I'm Dad...The coaches have always said he had a cannon though...

Good luck to your son!
This past weekend my son attended a tryout for a high level program which included 14 and 15 year olds. There were probably around 100-125 boys in this age range at the tryout. I was informed by one of the coaches that the fastest time for the 14 and 15 year olds was 7 flat. There were several from 7.0-7.5, but most were above 7.5 with some even possibly exceeding 9 seconds. The times were taken on grass, in cleats, starting from a baseball start.
There is also a lot you can learn about the 60

some examples:
- running in a straight line (pretty obvious why)
- learn running mechanics
- get momentum going on starts
- I used to jump at the finish line and lose some time. I had to learn to go through the line

There are a ton of "tricks" and techniques that you can learn online. I don't want to give away all my tricks, but you can find most of them online or by talking to guys that have been running them for a while.
My son will be 15 this month and has been timed about 5 or 6 times in the 60 since he was 13. The range has been 6.7+ to 7.4. All hand timed. I think some of the variance is due to the guy with the stop watch, the surface and what type shoes he was wearing. We did a six week deal with a trainer last year and he knocked 2 10ths off his 60 and 40.

To answer you question I think the average time will be about 8.0 or maybe a little higher.
Last edited by cball

I saw quite a few 60's this past summer for my son and his teammates who are in that age range.

My son is not what I would consider fast, average to below average at best.  He usually ran around 8.0.  The guys I considered fast usually ran around 7.2-7.0.  These were 14 year olds who still had a lot of growing to do.

The CF on the team is the fastest kid I have ever seen in person.  He was 6.6-6.5.

At the tryouts for the HS travel program my son plays for there were 150 kids there and only 8 ran sub 7.0 times.

I think a lot of dads exaggerate 60 times, just like they do pitching speeds.  Reality is that for human beings in general 7.0 in the 60 is really fast.  The percentage of people who can throw a ball 80 MPH let alone 90 MPH is tiny. 

If you sit around youth baseball games, you would think there's a whole generation of kids who throw like Nolan Ryan, run like Rickey Henderson and hit like Hank Aaron.

Rob T -- Amen to that statement.My 2016 is fairly fast and has run 60s at a camp, a tryout and prospect. At 14 he ran 7.3 at a D-1 college camp. At 15 at a travel team tryout, he was a 7.5 in tennis shoes (forgot to put his spikes on) in long grass, then did a college prospect camp two months later and ran 7.6.

I believe a lot has to do with human reaction time. A coach with a stop watch telling a kid to go, at a distance they walked off, is never going to be accurate.

My 2018 just ran a 5.1 40, and he is typically one of the fastest kids on the football and baseball fields for his age.  He is in some speed training right now (really good, scientifically based) that has guaranteed to knock .2 to .3/10 of a second off of that time.  A 5.1 (40) comes out to about a 7.65 (60) or less (his start is what kills his time).  Not great but not bad at his age.  I would guess he would run a 7.4 - 7.5 (60) right now because he gets faster as he goes (and, once again, his start kills him).  I hope he can get under 5.0 flat as an eight grader, after this training.  The sky is the limit from there.  I would say, just from what I have seen from year to year, and comparing him to other travel team kids, that a 7.5 (60) is pretty good for 14 y/o.  Lots of growing yet to do. 

You might try timing him in the 60 just to see how a 40 time translates.

Everyone starts from 0 mph and then accelerates until they reach top speed.  Assuming good conditioning, the runner should maintain top speed between the 40 mark and the 60 mark. Just guessing, I'd think a guy running a 5.1 in the 40 would run something in the 7.0-7.1 range in the 60.  A 2018 is an 8th grader, so someone at that speed who could hope to shave time off year by year for the next 4 years would be someone I'd hope to see develop into a true burner.

I understand that the 60 has become almost ritualistic in nature but it still baffles me sometimes with the importance attached to it. MY 2016 (6'1,180) runs the 60 in the 7.2-7.4 range (about 15 times), when he is not pitching or playing 3rd he plays OF. Another full time OF player runs a 6.6-6.8 on a regular basis. Problem is the kid has no instincts, he does not get to balls that he should and my son (the slower) makes it to some that he should not. So while i understand the importance of speed i also know its not the end all of being a good player

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.