Skip to main content

johnnysako posted:
old_school posted:
RJM posted:

Utley was cheered for being a very good player and a member of a World Series winner. But I guarantee for most Philadelphia fans blowing up a Met is still icing on the cake. This is a fan base who cheered Michael Irving getting blown up and laying still on the field. 

I lived in the area for eighteen years. My kids grew up there and still live there after college. Philadelphia fans are bipolar and psychotic. More entertaining then watching a Philadelphia team win is listening to sports talk radio after they lose.

I was at the game with Irvin...nobody realized how bad he was hurt. That may or may not have changed any behavior but the legend is way beyond the true story. Plus even the most unreasonable cowboy fans I know will agree Irvin was a scumbag and didn't feel bad for him.

Utley is revered for winning yes but more due to how he played and his approach to the game. His attitude and comments were never anything but class, he never ripped the fans - he was the face for the generation.

Rollins, Howard, Burrell, Chooch, Hamills, Victorino were / are honored but nothing even close to Utley. The only thing similar to Utley and that generation of Phillies is Bobby Clark and some of the Broad Street Bullies - from 35 years ago.

A few weeks later I was at the Eagle Giants game in Phily and a man was walking around with a bloody 88 jersey on and a stretcher taped around him. He was famous that day. Yes, Philly fans are that bad, the prefer blood over wins. I've lived 30 minutes from Philly for 46 years.

That is good work by him...I am sure he got many free drinks in the parking the lot pregame!

They prefer wins - you have been brainwashed like so much of the country, it is a shame.

Also, having been to many Phillies games and many Eagles games, they're not exactly the same in attitude. Eagles games are tough (e.g., I'm not sure I'd wear an opposing teams's jersey to an Eagles game, though I had a coworker who wore a Cowboys jersey to an Eagles game every year when the Cowboys were in town); Phillies games are relatively tame. And nothing I've ever seen at a Phillies game compares to a Dodgers - Giants game (in either SF or LA) in terms of violence and/or threats of violence.

FWIW, here is a clip of the minute-long standing ovation that Jimmy Rollins got a year ago: 

www.si.com/mlb/2015/08/04/dodg...ies-fans-cheer-video

old_school posted:
johnnysako posted:
old_school posted:
RJM posted:

Utley was cheered for being a very good player and a member of a World Series winner. But I guarantee for most Philadelphia fans blowing up a Met is still icing on the cake. This is a fan base who cheered Michael Irving getting blown up and laying still on the field. 

I lived in the area for eighteen years. My kids grew up there and still live there after college. Philadelphia fans are bipolar and psychotic. More entertaining then watching a Philadelphia team win is listening to sports talk radio after they lose.

I was at the game with Irvin...nobody realized how bad he was hurt. That may or may not have changed any behavior but the legend is way beyond the true story. Plus even the most unreasonable cowboy fans I know will agree Irvin was a scumbag and didn't feel bad for him.

Utley is revered for winning yes but more due to how he played and his approach to the game. His attitude and comments were never anything but class, he never ripped the fans - he was the face for the generation.

Rollins, Howard, Burrell, Chooch, Hamills, Victorino were / are honored but nothing even close to Utley. The only thing similar to Utley and that generation of Phillies is Bobby Clark and some of the Broad Street Bullies - from 35 years ago.

A few weeks later I was at the Eagle Giants game in Phily and a man was walking around with a bloody 88 jersey on and a stretcher taped around him. He was famous that day. Yes, Philly fans are that bad, the prefer blood over wins. I've lived 30 minutes from Philly for 46 years.

That is good work by him...I am sure he got many free drinks in the parking the lot pregame!

They prefer wins - you have been brainwashed like so much of the country, it is a shame.

Dunno - I lived there for a decade and ask any Iggle fan what the greatest Iggle game ever was and you will get one answer - "The Body Bag Game".  They did win but that was secondary to the number of players dragged off the field in that game. 

Most amusing fans anywhere - by a mile.  Many of them actually realize how ridicules they are and still can't help themselves which makes it even funnier.  I had a lot of fun with them ...they take as good as they get when they realize you can take it.  The people there and South Jersey are really great. 

2019Dad posted:

Also, having been to many Phillies games and many Eagles games, they're not exactly the same in attitude. Eagles games are tough (e.g., I'm not sure I'd wear an opposing teams's jersey to an Eagles game, though I had a coworker who wore a Cowboys jersey to an Eagles game every year when the Cowboys were in town); Phillies games are relatively tame. And nothing I've ever seen at a Phillies game compares to a Dodgers - Giants game (in either SF or LA) in terms of violence and/or threats of violence.

FWIW, here is a clip of the minute-long standing ovation that Jimmy Rollins got a year ago: 

www.si.com/mlb/2015/08/04/dodg...ies-fans-cheer-video

Regarding Eagle's fans, my wife and I attended a Eagles-Redskins game many years ago on a Monday night (company suite).  The Redskins were not so good that year and about 1/3 of the fans were from Philly (lots of green jerseys).  I'm not a Redskins fan, but we witnessed some Redskins fans get "jumped" by Philly fans as we walked to our car after the game.  Go figure since the Eagles won 37-7 or something like that.  Lost a lot of respect for those fans.

Consider this - doesn't the Eagles home stadium have a holding cell built into it?

luv baseball posted:
old_school posted:
johnnysako posted:
old_school posted:
RJM posted:

Dunno - I lived there for a decade and ask any Iggle fan what the greatest Iggle game ever was and you will get one answer - "The Body Bag Game".  They did win but that was secondary to the number of players dragged off the field in that game. 

Most amusing fans anywhere - by a mile.  Many of them actually realize how ridicules they are and still can't help themselves which makes it even funnier.  I had a lot of fun with them ...they take as good as they get when they realize you can take it.  The people there and South Jersey are really great. 

to a large degree you are correct here, great people and great sense of humor and generally not taking themselves to serious. the body bag game was amazing...I have no problem with that. I think there is huge difference from one to the other! the number of guys dragged off the field was in relationship to how great that defense was and how hard they were hitting. The house of pain game in Houston was very similar. The winning is still the key.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.