Skip to main content

Smitty28 posted:
2019Dad posted:

I'm wondering if PG ever considered running the WWBA out of the spring training facilities in Arizona, rather than Florida? On balance slightly less convenient (though with lots more flights into Phoenix than into West Palm --about 7X the annual passenger traffic), but there would be no rain delays whatsoever, and the weather is perfect for baseball this time of year (average in Phoenix for this date is high of 87, low of 63). The whole thing would run like clockwork. For scouts it would be easier, too, since no delays means there would be complete certainty about which teams are playing when. 

Yes please!  Since PG has built such a nationwide reach with colleges and pro scouts, it would sure be nice to strike more of a balance with the west coast high school players.  There are only 9 teams west of Texas playing in Jupiter this week... that's a real shame and a lot of great teams and players don't get the opportunity to participate.  There's only so much travel money in many families budgets.  Plus, flying to FL from the west coast requires 2 extra days off school in October which is an additional hardship.  It would be good if PG made efforts to balance things out a bit.

JMO, I personally always felt this tournament was more suited for east coast players.

The Arizona Fall Classic and Area Code probably are two big reasons why PG doesn't hold an event like this out that way.

Last edited by TPM
TPM posted:
Smitty28 posted:
2019Dad posted:

I'm wondering if PG ever considered running the WWBA out of the spring training facilities in Arizona, rather than Florida? On balance slightly less convenient (though with lots more flights into Phoenix than into West Palm --about 7X the annual passenger traffic), but there would be no rain delays whatsoever, and the weather is perfect for baseball this time of year (average in Phoenix for this date is high of 87, low of 63). The whole thing would run like clockwork. For scouts it would be easier, too, since no delays means there would be complete certainty about which teams are playing when. 

Yes please!  Since PG has built such a nationwide reach with colleges and pro scouts, it would sure be nice to strike more of a balance with the west coast high school players.  There are only 9 teams west of Texas playing in Jupiter this week... that's a real shame and a lot of great teams and players don't get the opportunity to participate.  There's only so much travel money in many families budgets.  Plus, flying to FL from the west coast requires 2 extra days off school in October which is an additional hardship.  It would be good if PG made efforts to balance things out a bit.

JMO, I personally always felt this tournament was more suited for east coast players.

Don't take this personally, but if you have issues with cross country travel and costs, how can you afford to send a player east to attend school?

The Arizona Fall Classic probably is a very big reason why PG doesn't hold an event this big out that way.

PG is the name of the game nowadays for college recruiting.  Sure there's the AZ Classic, PBR, V Tools and a few others, but if you want to participate in PG events it's pretty much an east coast game.  That was probably fine 10 years ago but PG has grown so big in scope that it really is used nationally by colleges to recruit.  We saw lots of California and other west coast colleges at our games in Georgia this summer, and I'm sure we'll see the same in Jupiter (when the rain stops).  At some point it gets ridiculous for a bunch of west coast players and college coaches to travel east to get their work done.  I think it's time PG established a real presence on the west coast - JMO.

Smitty,

JMO but the majority of the East coast coaches are not going to come west, and neither will teams for a tournament that is more of a coaches convention than anything else. JMO on that.

There is no reason to travel when most college programs are located on the east coast.

Plus the Arizona Fall League is in season and soon an NCAA quiet and dead period begin.

Of course that is my opinion, maybe Jerry can weigh in after the tournament.

Last edited by TPM
TPM posted:

Smitty,

JMO but the majority of the East coast coaches are not going to come west, and neither will teams for a tournament that is more of a coaches convention than anything else. JMO on that.

There is no reason to travel when most college programs are located on the east coast.

Maybe most college programs are located on the east coast, but California probably produces more top baseball players than any state, and to participate in PG events and get on PG's radar, you have to go east.  And a lot of west coast college recruiting for west coast kids happens in GA or FL.  I for one would like to see more of a PG presence on the west coast.  They've started adding events and showcases in recent years but I'd like to see more, and I think the market supports it.  And given the ever-present rain at LakePoint events and in Jupiter, there is a case to be made to host some events in the AZ spring training facilities.

Go44dad posted:

Son’s game rained out today. Nothing to report. He chose homecoming dance over a couple innings against Canes National, so we head back in the morning. 

I hate that. Son and I chose to skip Jupiter and homecoming to spend weekend with grandma / great grandma. Can’t wait for next year though, son will be pitching with a purpose to say the least!

Smitty28 posted:
TPM posted:

Smitty,

Maybe most college programs are located on the east coast, but California probably produces more top baseball players than any state, and to participate in PG events and get on PG's radar, you have to go east.  And a lot of west coast college recruiting for west coast kids happens in GA or FL.  I for one would like to see more of a PG presence on the west coast.  They've started adding events and showcases in recent years but I'd like to see more, and I think the market supports it.  And given the ever-present rain at LakePoint events and in Jupiter, there is a case to be made to host some events in the AZ spring training facilities.

In my opinion, California kids don't need as much PG exposure. When you talk about recruiting and the West, your focus has to be almost entirely on California because no other western states develop enough D1 talent to make moving big PG events West. 

The California recruiting situation also seems much different due to the overwhelming incentives scools there have in terms of a huge talent pool + in state tuition rates and state scholarship money. Most major California schools have so much talent in their back yard, and so many stay in state, that it appears there isn't as much a need for PG exposure for those kids. It is one of the few states where the old adage "if you have talent they will find YOU" still has merit.

roothog66 posted:
Smitty28 posted:
TPM posted:

Smitty,

In my opinion, California kids don't need as much PG exposure. When you talk about recruiting and the West, your focus has to be almost entirely on California because no other western states develop enough D1 talent to make moving big PG events West. 

The California recruiting situation also seems much different due to the overwhelming incentives scools there have in terms of a huge talent pool + in state tuition rates and state scholarship money. Most major California schools have so much talent in their back yard, and so many stay in state, that it appears there isn't as much a need for PG exposure for those kids. It is one of the few states where the old adage "if you have talent they will find YOU" still has merit.

If you are talking about the absolute cream of the crop I agree with you.  However, there's maybe 20 D1 programs on the west coast, so many D1-capable kids are prudent (forced?) to look elsewhere.

Root, you're dead on about UC (and other public Cal programs).  Little or no Financial Aid or Academic money for out of state kids which makes it hard to package an academic/athletic scholarship deal.  Plus TONS of in-state players to choose from.  Last time I looked, the UC programs (PAC 12, Big West, UCSD) had about 8 out of state players TOTAL out of about 240 players.

Go44dad posted:

Son’s game rained out today. Nothing to report. He chose homecoming dance over a couple innings against Canes National, so we head back in the morning. 

Glad to see someone keeping his priorities straight. I have worried all along that my son would put so much time into baseball that he’d suddenly wake up in college and realize he missed his senior year. He too skipped a tournament for homecoming. Have a safe trip. 

Iowamom23 posted:
Go44dad posted:

Glad to see someone keeping his priorities straight. I have worried all along that my son would put so much time into baseball that he’d suddenly wake up in college and realize he missed his senior year. He too skipped a tournament for homecoming. Have a safe trip. 

I don't know.  Instead of looking through the fence "coaching" him on his every swing, pitch and step on the bases, I am booking a table at the restaurant where his bro/chick group is going.  He could use a little coaching there I'm sure. 

Go44dad posted:
Iowamom23 posted:
Go44dad posted:

I don't know.  Instead of looking through the fence "coaching" him on his every swing, pitch and step on the bases, I am booking a table at the restaurant where his bro/chick group is going.  He could use a little coaching there I'm sure. 

Trust me....he has more game than you think he does. :-)

Since it was my suggestion let me add that for all the talent produced in Texas, Oklahoma and the Midwest, flying to Arizona is no less convenient than flying to South Florida. But my main point is that with no rainouts, perfect baseball weather,and lights on all the fields (we're at the Padres-mariners complex this weekend), the mechanics/scheduling of the tournament would be better for everyone involved -- players and schools.

Here's another idea (which I employed for my former company's annual user conference (2,000 attendees)) -- alternate every other year. One year Arizona, the next year South Florida. That way nearly every kid (sorry Hawaii and Alaska) would have a somewhat convenient opportunity either junior or senior year.

2019Dad posted:

Since it was my suggestion let me add that for all the talent produced in Texas, Oklahoma and the Midwest, flying to Arizona is no less convenient than flying to South Florida. But my main point is that with no rainouts, perfect baseball weather,and lights on all the fields (we're at the Padres-mariners complex this weekend), the mechanics/scheduling of the tournament would be better for everyone involved -- players and schools.

Here's another idea (which I employed for my former company's annual user conference (2,000 attendees)) -- alternate every other year. One year Arizona, the next year South Florida. That way nearly every kid (sorry Hawaii and Alaska) would have a somewhat convenient opportunity either junior or senior year.

Pretty sure PG would, if it fits their strategy and is economically viable.  Purely as a national scouting group, they can send their scouts to other events in the West to evaluate players.

I'm in Texas.  Our strategy is to play the best competition, and let the rest work itself out.

I'd be in for Arizona.  I've never seen a haboob.

I got a chance to see a couple innings of that game.  We have seen Ethan a lot, he is outstanding.  He throws in the low 90s and has topped out at 94 at our events.  Great slider as well.

Perfect Game's are obviously rare, but here is a stat that is just as impressive for a hard thrower with a good slider.

In 37 innings pitched that we have recorded this year, Ethan has not walked a hitter.  That is against the best competition possible, Amazing! And he averages giving up 1 base runner every 4 innings.

Go44dad posted:
Iowamom23 posted:
Go44dad posted:

Yep!! Probably — way to raise a well rounded human being! (although in my son's group, the girls did all the reserving and just told the boys where to be, when and what color to wear, which probably was practice for adulting in a different way).

PGStaff posted:

I got a chance to see a couple innings of that game.  We have seen Ethan a lot, he is outstanding.  He throws in the low 90s and has topped out at 94 at our events.  Great slider as well.

Perfect Game's are obviously rare, but here is a stat that is just as impressive for a hard thrower with a good slider.

In 37 innings pitched that we have recorded this year, Ethan has not walked a hitter.  That is against the best competition possible, Amazing! And he averages giving up 1 base runner every 4 innings.

Happy to see what he did. However, I may be happier to know he won't be on the mound for brackets if we happen to run into his team. ��

This is my first (and last) Jupiter trip and I have to say it has been everything it was built up to be. We now start brackets in about three hours. My son will pitch the first game and he is really worked up. I haven't seen him this excited about baseball in years - not even in high school playoffs. It's also funny seeing him analyze brackets and actually hoping for one of the top teams.

Bacdorslider: That’s awesome! Wow! Congratulations!

Go44: Sorry for the unlucky break in the weather. Can’t go wrong with the decision to stay or head to homecoming. Both are great experiences.

There’s a lot of posters with talented kids in this thread. I just wanted to post here with to rub elbows with them. Maybe some of this “greatness” will rub off .

I’ve enjoyed following this topic and the event itself. It’s an event my son hopes to attend in the future.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.