Skip to main content

I have so many great memories it is hard to name one. I guess on of the best with my son was when he threw a no hitter, just one batter short of a perfect game. Wouldn't you know he hit a batter in the last inning!!
But one of my favorite Baseball memories not involving my son is a reminder of what we are all here for.
We had a kid on our 12u team that had never really played ball before. The coaches work with him a lot but he struck out every time at bat. Then in the last game of the season He hit a slow dribbler to SS
and he was out at 1st. But the look on his face when he was running back to the dugout was PRICELESS!!! He was so happy he had finally hit the ball! That single event made his whole season.
Here's one of my favorites:
Coached my son's LL 12 year old team. There were 7 teams total in our league, but the 2 best were mine and another team. We played each other twice that seaon. Both teams has good little players, most are now playing HS ball. First game, our opponet won 3-1. There was so much competion between our teams...It came down to the last game of the season between our teams...we had lost only one game and they were undefeated. This game was the talk of the league, there were so many people there we should have sold tickets. The game went a full 5 innings before anyone scored, as both teams had great pitching and defense working for them. Finally in the top of the 6th, the other team scored using a bunt, just couldn't execute that play to get the out. We're home team, last at bat with the 2,3, & 4 hole's up to the plate. They walk our first batter, we get him around to 3rd base with a steal and sac bunt. Now one out, tieing run at 3rd. My son is batting 4th, had only 2 stikeouts all season, and we're facing their #1 pitcher all game. He battles, but grounds out to pitcher, now 2 outs with tieing run still at third, our 5 hole hitter again battles to the end, only to pop out in center field...game over, our second lose of the season, our opponent goes undefeated. It was tears flowing after the game as our boys really wanted to win, but it was a great game...both of these team fielded our leagues all-star team and went on to win district that year...it was a terrific season and lasting memory...Blue Skies!
I'll share two, one as a spectator and one as a dad.

My son and I frequently attend ASU baseball home games. My daughter was getting jealous, so even though she was only 3, I told her she could come with us. It was a non-conference game against a weak opponent. In the first inning the ASU pitcher is a little loose and ends up walking a bunch and giving up a few runs. In the bottom of the first, ASU scores about 8 runs. First inning probably takes an hour. After the third out, my daughter starts packing up her books, toys, etc and putting them away. I ask why and she says, "Isn't the game over?". I say no, that was one inning there are 8 more. She gave me a look that I will never forget, especially now that she's a teenager and I get that look a lot.

Similar to BaseballDad1228's experience, my son is pitching an 8th grade game against a rival school. He's perfect through three (of six) and the other team starts subbing. After two outs in the forth, he starts lobbing the ball. I'm on the 3rd base side and the batter is right handed so I don't get a good look, but start to panic, is his arm OK, is he sick, what happened. He's lobbing the ball and the kid swings and misses at the first pitch, same with second. I'm having a seizure. He calls the catcher out for a conference. I'm wondering if I should have the coach check on him. Next three pitches are balls outside, I've dialed 9 & 1 on my phone, not sure if it was for him or me, next pitch is outside and the kid swings and misses. Cody looks ****ed. Inning over. He won't even look at me between innings, but next inning everything is back to normal. I need a medic.

After the game, he tells me the kid was 'special' and he was actually trying to let him get a hit. The infielders had prearranged that no one was to throw him out at first if he hit it fair. When it became obvious he wasn't going to hit the ball, he'd called the catcher out there to tell the kid they were going to walk him and not to swing. It all got ruined when the coach yelled, "Swing if its close" and the kid took a cut. He told me he really wished the kid could've walked, because he could've bragged to everyone that he was the only guy to get on base off him.

I still tear up every time I think of that story.
I'll share one more, favorite coaching moment.

We're in a 13U league, playing a team made up basically of the rival LL All Star team from the year before. We're down a couple runs, runner's at 2nd and 3rd and two outs late in the game. I'm coaching first, my buddy Steve is coaching third. He signals suicide squeeze, bunt goes down, other team panics and blows the play. After a steal of second, we're back to 2nd and 3rd again. He calls it again. Bunts to the first baseman and nobody covers. The other team's coaches are going insane, yelling and screaming. We get 2nd and 3rd again, he calls it again, it works again. The other coach comes out of the dugout, goes to the mound and is jumping up and down, bright red yelling and screaming about how they only have to get a simple out at first.

I jog over to third base and say, "Steve, you know there's two outs right?". He says "No way, there's only one" and asks the umpire who confirms the two outs.

Its been about three years, but we still laugh about the day he called three consecutive suicide squeezes with two outs and they all worked.
As a Player:

8U All-Stars, elimination game. In extra inning, 2 outs, down by one, nobody on. I hit a triple down the RF line, and I'll always remember the kid diving for it, and it hitting off of his glove into the side fence. I'll admit, I didn't look at my 3b coach once, I just kept running. The next kid hit a high chopping grounder through the 5-6 hole, and I scored. We wound up winning

As a spectator:

NLDS, Marlins v.s. Giants, down by 1 in the 9th. Pudge hits a walkoff line drive into CF, scoring Juan Pierre, and Luis Castillo.

And, in that same game, a guy got into a fight because he was mad that we brought in Braden Looper to pitch.
Oh, so many great memories, but a couple come to mind, and both when he was a little guy. His first HR, he was about 8? It was a grand slam. Another HR, he was about 12? It was a walk off 3 run game winner. Odd that I would remember these older moments. I just love watching him and his friends play the game - I even love watching them all practice (ugh, addiction to baseball, ugh).
quote:
Originally posted by JMoff:
I'll share one more, favorite coaching moment.

We're in a 13U league, playing a team made up basically of the rival LL All Star team from the year before. We're down a couple runs, runner's at 2nd and 3rd and two outs late in the game. I'm coaching first, my buddy Steve is coaching third. He signals suicide squeeze, bunt goes down, other team panics and blows the play. After a steal of second, we're back to 2nd and 3rd again. He calls it again. Bunts to the first baseman and nobody covers. The other team's coaches are going insane, yelling and screaming. We get 2nd and 3rd again, he calls it again, it works again. The other coach comes out of the dugout, goes to the mound and is jumping up and down, bright red yelling and screaming about how they only have to get a simple out at first.

I jog over to third base and say, "Steve, you know there's two outs right?". He says "No way, there's only one" and asks the umpire who confirms the two outs.

Its been about three years, but we still laugh about the day he called three consecutive suicide squeezes with two outs and they all worked.

I had a similar coaching incident - two strikes count on the batter - I gave the suicide squeeze sign intending to wipe it off - but used the wrong wipe off (we had changed our signs). Fortunately, the batter bailed me out with a great bunt single Smile
To me it is tough to pick a memory that sticks out more than others. I would pick a play he made as a young player at 10 yo.
He was playing LF on a Rec team. A pop up occurred and the 3rb player was very weak. He raced in and as the ball popped out of the players glove he laid out and caught the ball inches off the ground.
Another in elite BB when he was 15 he pitched a one hitter against the top 16U team in Ontario. It was the 3rd game of a 4 game series and we lost the other 3 by a large margin. The teams were embroiled in a nasty confrontation just prior to his outing due to some nasty hits on their players. The parents of the other team had swarmed our dugout screaming at our players calling them goons, Once things settled down they got the 3rd game underway and after pitching 5 innings of no hit ball the crowd (both sides) got behind him. They were on their feet and my sister who lived in the Gateaus in Quebec was there. In the 7th with 1 out a player laid a bunt down and was soundly booed by all spectators. His coach took him out to a standing ovation by the whole crowd. It was very special to me. The GM from the other team came over to me in the 5th and asked if that was my son. We became friend for several years and always made a point of saying hello at tournaments. He had placed several players in MLB and US colleges.
This has been about 3/4 years ago. My wife had been diagnosed with Hodgkins and was undergoing chemo treatments and that meant losing her hair.

While most of her hair was gone, she had been able to hang onto the longer parts on the back of her head for quite some time. She had taken to "hiding" her condition by wearing all sorts of cute, girly ball caps that friends and family had donated to the cause.

I had been my son's baseball coach since he was 5 years old, and he was now 11 and playing travel ball. This particular weekend was Mother's Day weekend and time for the annual Mother's Day baseball tournament that we entered.

That Saturday morning, everything seemed to be going fine, until my wife got out of the shower with a towel on her head and tears in her eyes. She asked me to meet her in the bedroom, where she very tearfully showed me the thatch of hair that had previously holding precariously to the back of her head. It had come off in the shower, and she was now.....completely bald. She couldn't go with us.

My son and I left for the Saturday morning game with heavy hearts, but knew we had to do what we had to do.

In order to fully absorb the impact of this story, you also need to know about my 5 year old daughter. She was a VERY crafty, and artistic little 5 year old. There was very little she couldn't create or fix with scotch tape, scissors, and a stapler.

Just before first pitch, my cell phone rang, and my wife (this time with tears of joy) told me they were on their way, she'd explain when they got there.

Turns out, my daughter had taken that thatch of hair and stapled it into one of the cute, girly ball caps, complete with a little "pony tail" sticking out the hole in back.

My wife wore those hats.....just like that for about 6 months. Nobody but our closest friends ever knew.

We didn't do real well in that tourney, but she beat the cancer, and I was never more proud of my little family than that day.
I have so many but here are 2...
My son's first tee ball game at 6 years old (he is now 15)and he crushes one that the entire herd of opposing players runs to get deep in the OF. I am busy watching the ball roll and then I glance up at my son - who is running out of the box toward 3B! He rounds the bases backwards. When I ask him about it on our ride home, he said "I was so excited I forgot where I was going."

The next one occurred as a 9 year old a few years later. Our AAU team was playing up against one of the best 10U teams in the state. They were beating us 3-0 going into the last inning and bring in their stud to close. We fight back to 3-2 through HBP, a K with an E2, and a couple of hits. At this point, I am doing the math...my son can get up with bases loaded and 2 outs if we don't tie or win it before then. Sure enough, he comes to the plate and he has had a rough day at the plate 2 K's in 6 pitches (Wouldn't you know it?). We talk and he is nervous. We talk about focusing on this moment - pitch to pitch. When he gets to a 2-1 count, I call timeout and tell him the pitcher is going to groove a FB and he better be ready. He does...he is..my son drives the game winning line drive over the CF's head. His confidence has grown since then. It often makes me wonder how he would have progressed if he "failed" there.
Last edited by redbird5
A couple of years ago, Coaching a small tournament 10U, playing against a strong leagues all star team, with only a couple of All Stars on our team.
We are down 1 run with no outs late in the game, I am on 1rst coaching, Son is at bat with a very fast runner on 3rd.
I flash the bunt sign to the 3rd base coach, who nods in agreement and signals the bunt sign, Son lays one down hustles all the way to first and is thrown out, but the tying run scores. Son is mad, he wanted to hit, I am happy he scored the run, I tell him great bunt way to go RBI etc., he gives me the classic line, Why do I always have to bunt, which he doesn't. I tell him he tied the game he is still mad, he jogs back gets his bat heads to duggout on 3rd base side. His teammates are going crazy patting him on the back , the fans are cheering for him, he goes into the dugout and then comes out and yells at me, "I am glad I bunted now!" We end up winning.
Just one of the few times Dad isn't always wrong type moments.
There are a few that really stand out. At age 10, 2B pitched 7 innings of a 12 inning game that the 11-12 Newton County all-stars won 2-1 to go to state. At 11, he hit a grand slam at Cooperstown. That was fun.

Two years ago, he got moved up to varsity as a 13-year-old, 5'5" 140 lb. 8th grader. In the first regular season game, a district away game, he got called in to pinch hit in the top of the 6th - his first official varsity AB. So he walks toward the plate, and the other team starts kind of making fun of him. "You have to be this tall to play this game," stuff like that. He responds by hitting a double over the left fielder's head. Awesome. Ever since then, he's hit very well against that team!

More recently, watching him play MIF at PG underclassmen. In good company, he looked like he belonged. And then he made me even more proud because he was disappointed with his performance - and as a result he has dedicated himself to getting stronger and faster. At the first HS practice last week, it showed.

More memories are in the making!
Last edited by 2Bmom
When he was 12, he was called upon to hold a 1-run lead in the top half of the last inning of a tournament championship. As you might expect, he gets in trouble and he gets the third out only after giving up the lead. Down one, they manage to tie the game, and load the bases with two out, and of course he's up. Before we even have a chance to pray for redemption, he rockets the first pitch against the left center field fence, missing a walk-off granny by about four feet. There have been a lot of fun moments since then, and we are hoping they will continue, but I don't know if we'll ever be able to replicate that smile as he stopped at second and headed to meet his team at home plate.
Best Baseball memory - that's too hard to pick out with 4 grown men who all played ball growing up. Best recent memory was my youngest playing last summer in his final year of Legion ball. His team had 4 other kids who had played their first year of college and some good HS players. Of course we were missing some of the best area players as they were playing other avenues (both HS and after 1st year of college - I'm sure the other Legion teams also contend with this). All our college players had been at D3 schools. Anyway, in the first game of districts (at home) we were losing when the game got rained out (I was at work that night). They came back the next night to finish up the game - I will have to say that the other team lost the game rather than we won. This first game was a single elimination game. On to the real double elimination tournament. We lose our first game (2 hrs. away) and are put in the losers bracket. Next up we go to where the rest of the tournament was held (2 hrs away also - but near my wife's parents and many of her siblings). We win and continue winning. We beat many of the higher seeds. We played lots of games being in the loser's bracket. My son gets to pitch - he had only pitched a few innings the summer before in Legion in the last 2+ years. He does well pitching relief in several games. We're still running out of pitching. One of our catchers who had been hurting says he can play so the coaches in the championship game against the team we lost to at first put the other catcher who had been catching in to pitch; he tosses a shutout game. We play this team again and this time have a see-saw battle, but finally prevail and go on to the state tournament.
Best part? Hearing my son asking if his grandpa got to see him play and my 80 yr. old father-in-law being there for the games. His wife has been battling dementia for a while now. Several of the daughters help my father-in-law take care of her. So, my father-in-law got a needed break and enjoyed seeing his grandson play and my son enjoyed his grandpa seeing him play. Life is good.

Tim Robertson
Son about 5 or 6. We are walking from the parking lot headed to Candlestick park to watch the SF Giants. I am fumbling with jackets, backpack and have both hands full. Son taps me on the leg. I knew what this means. I transfer everyting into my right arm and lower my left arm. He reaches up and grasps my hand. We walk to the entrance hand in hand. I can still feel that little hand. I will never forget it.
Last edited by gimages
for me......being 5 and the only girl on the boys pee-wee league team. hitting a double in my first at bat.....i've loved the game ever since!

as a wife.....watching my husband bond with our son as coach/player throughout all the years of little league.

as a fan.....all the summer days spent at the ballpark with my boys.....any ballpark would do the little league complex, our high school field, or great american in cincinnati.

as a mom.....road tripping to mississippi for his first college visit/invite only showcase! it's rewarding to see his years of hardwork and dedication start to pay off!
Last edited by L8 Breaking
My memories were many years ago when Willie Mays played. this was a clipping from the El Paso Times
newspaper.

Major Loop All-Stars Beat Service Nine
El Paso Times -
Big hits by the batters and some fine hurling by Connie Johnson of the
Chicago White Sox gained the touring major league all-stars at 6-2 victory
over the El Paso Service all-stars before some 2,500 fans at Dudley Field
Thursday afternoon.
Homerun clouts by Hank Thompson of the Giants, Hank Aaron of the Milwaukee
Braves and Ernie Banks of the Chicago Cubs featured the hitting for the
visiting stars, who touched four El Paso hurlers for 11 hits. Johnson went
the distance and scattered eight hits – three in the seventh inning when the
locals got their first run – and struck out 12 batters – in a fine
demonstration of control.

Bob Williams, Ft. Bliss first-baseman, provided the big clout for the local
team with a solo homer over the left-field fence in the bottom of the ninth
inning. Mightiest clout of the game was Banks’ solo belt in the fifth
inning. The ball sailed high over the second-deck advertising sign in left
filed for one of the longest balls ever hit out of the park.
Thompson’s homer in the first inning was the only run off Starter Mel Work,
while Aaron’s two-run homer came with Junior Gilliam on base by an error in
the ninth. Aaron also had a triple in the three-run fifth inning.
I gotta admit ...
If this were a game of "can you top this?" I'd be completely stumped.

Bob, that is very, very cool. I got to know Ernie Banks a little bit in my early 20s. He was my favorite player growing up, and I couldn't believe I actually knew him.

To play against those guys? Oh Yeah, that would qualify as a "best memory."

Thanks for sharing that.
quote:
Originally posted by gimages:
Son about 5 or 6. We are walking from the parking lot headed to Candlestick park to watch the SF Giants. I am fumbling with jackets, backpack and have both hands full. Son taps me on the leg. I knew what this means. I transfer everyting into my right arm and lower my left arm. He reaches up and grasps my hand. We walk to the entrance hand in hand. I can still feel that little hand. I will never forget it.

Gimages.. this is the most important, most beautiful thing ever written in the history of HSBBW. angel
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Williams:
Rob;

Thank you, however the story does not end. When the NY Giants moved to SF, I call Willie and requested his appearance at the new General Tire business I opened in Burlingame, California.

He agreed and this was my first promotion.

Later for my American Legion team I invited Tommy Lasorda our Legion dinner in Santa Rosa.

Bob
Lasorda is a fantastic public speaker. I heard him at his induction to the local sports hall of fame.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
There are loads of things that come to mind but perhaps the best was my son being the centerfold of his Senior Yearbook---in full uniform with his bat on his shoulder---sort of recognition for he being the first baseball player in his school to get a scholarship to a major Division I program

Hope the staple was in the right place!
Last edited by Homerun04
If I must.

As TRhit mentioned, there are a few things that come to mind, but I guess the one that stands out the most is fairly recent.

Son was probably the #5, #6 or #7 pitcher on a roster that was loaded with talented pitchers in the Summer of 2007. Two of them play for the Longhorns, one Ohio State and another Texas Tech. Anyway, many here are familiar with the Connie Mack World Series in Farmington New Mexico and how big of a deal it really is. That Summer the South Plains Regional was held at TCU and the young one played for a team called DBAT. It came down to game six with the winner take all to see who headed to Farmington. To Make a long story short(er), son got the start vs the Dallas Mustangs and pitched five and two thirds strong innings and got the 6-4 win. It (A) is the biggest game he had ever pitched in and (B) probably the proudest moment I have had of him as a baseball player. That particular day told me so much about my son that I truly believe no matter what else he accomplishes in his baseball career, nothing will ever top that day. There was something so special about that day!

Sorry if it seemed like a brag on the young one, but that by far is the best memory.
Last edited by Danny Boydston
Kind of a good/bad/funny BB memory. In 1995, when GED10 was only 2, Benji Gill was the everyday SS for the Rangers and began the season red hot. He was hitting a ton.

We were watching a game on TV, me on the couch and GED10 on the floor, in front of the TV. Benji went yard. I jumped up from the couch and yelled "GET out!!!" GED10 turns around with big crock tears in his eyes and asks "why"??

Made me realize I was a little too intense over the game!

GED10DaD
angelloves catchers!
Last edited by GunEmDown10
I hadn't been to HSBBW in awhile when a friend reminded of the site again. I'm so glad he did!! It's now in my favorties and a reminder in my schedule to go check out weekly.

These are great stories!! I was talking to my son's future HS baseball coach one evening and mentioned to him that what I really love about the game of baseball are the stories. Everyone a precious memory to those involved.

My best moments so far, more to come....

Our 1st spring traing in AZ, my son is 9. (He's 15 now) We're walking up to the practice fields at the Angel's compound and a player in center field yells to my son to hold out his glove. The player (never caught his name)throws him a baseball over the center field fence. You should have seen his eyes light up. We've been either spring training or CWS ever year since. Just dad/son No mom no sister. Juat the guys.

This past summer Legion baseball going into HS. My son pitches a perfect game 5 innings, 11 K's

Thanks for leting me share!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.