Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

SoCal 2019 field announced, strong as usual: https://www.borasclassic.com/n...their-title-in-2019/

Mira Costa . . . bring seven D1 commits i. . . . Cypress High School, featuring six D1 commits . . . Ayala High School and its five D1 commits . . . along with . . . Marantha who feature six D1 commits . . .Yucaipa with eight D1 commits . . . Huntington Beach with seven D1 commits . . .  La Mirada, featuring six D1 commits . . . Notre Dame with six D1 commits  . . . Orange Lutheran featuring 10 D1 commits . . . . JSerra Catholic featuring seven D1 commits . . . 

old_school posted:

I have to assume the 20k kids playing D2 and D3 suck...

Not what I meant at all.... I'm just saying in my opinion it's not an insurmountable tasks to commit to a D1 program any program for that matter.... it just struck me funny the OP listing how many D1 Commits were going to be in attendance...  committing is by far the easiest thing to accomplish in D1 ball.    I get it, he was just trying to give credence to the talent level.  I'll go back to my hole. 

It’s easy if you throw 90+ mph, run. 6.5 sixty, or hit like a man at age 17-18. That accounts for about 30% of the guys who commit every year, who are pursued by schools. Most people who come to this board for advice, opinions or knowledge do not have kids who fall into that category. Most are pursuing the schools, not fighting them off. 

It is not easy to get a D1 offer or become a D1 commit. Maybe it was for your son, and you should feel grateful. It’s not easy. Also, 10K+ players do not turn over every year in D1, it’s more like 3K. 

Last edited by 2022OFDad

You have been around here long enough to know that comment was not going to be well received. You have also been around the game with 4 boys  going to various places that is a damn hard to get a D1 offer. How many past teammates / friends of your various sons did you just shit on with that comment?

Many kids have worked as hard as the boys D1 offers and not gotten there (many haven't worked as hard as well)

The math is the top 1.8% of HS rosters play D1 baseball...it is that damn hard and congrats to them. Don't belittle the accomplishment and detract from the others which didn't get that offer they dreamed of.

Perhaps bacdoorslider meant getting committed to a D1, as far as it’s harder to get playing time once you are at the school, or harder to perform well at that level - relative to getting the actual offer itself. I get it, there can’t be anyone who comes on this board who thinks it’s easy. Relatively speaking, getting into medical school is much easier than getting a D1 baseball offer, and nobody thinks getting into medical school is “easy”

2022OFDad posted:

Perhaps bacdoorslider meant getting committed to a D1, as far as it’s harder to get playing time once you are at the school, or harder to perform well at that level - relative to getting the actual offer itself. I get it, there can’t be anyone who comes on this board who thinks it’s easy. Relatively speaking, getting into medical school is much easier than getting a D1 baseball offer, and nobody thinks getting into medical school is “easy”

This statement is nearly as clueless as the one your post trys to defend

DesertDuck posted:
2022OFDad posted:

This statement is nearly as clueless as the one your post trys to defend

About 39% of applicants to medical schools in 2015 got at least one acceptance letter (52,000 total applicants, 20,000 matriculants). Only about 2% of players get D1 baseball offers (even fewer get offers with scholarship dollars attached). 

Most people I know who are doctors will tell you getting into medical school is not easy. That’s the analogy I am making. Sorry it confused you.

Well, anyway, I attended 3 editions of the Boras NorCal during my kid's HS career and they were great events to experience for the teams and families as well.  He go to play against, and I  got to see, a lot of future D1 guys, at least a couple 1st round draft choices, a lot of future pros, likely several future MLB players.  I only know of one future doctor in the mix, but no doubt there were others.

it just seems like a lot of players and parents feel once they commit, thats all and its roses from here on. while the commitmemt is a step in the process, its probably the least important step. frankly if you are killing yourself , worrying , spending money then maybe just maybe you set your goal too high. for most even the ones that are often called lucky because they throw 90+ or hit like a man they likely are going to play in college and then move on with life. not every P5 is going to make money at baseball. getting an education should be the goal. but from reading all these posts , its been diluted to getting a commitment. and you old guys giving advice on this board know it and some of the replies are about as bad as the money travel ball and showcases are taking. i had a son , and i told him son, your best strength is not baseball, sure your a good high school player but you are not a D1 player. did not have the talent , but was extremely intelligent .... you say I am shitting on peoples dreams when i think the better approach is speaking the truth. I think some parents are hell bent on D1 , and thats ok if you have the genes. also since im ranting, D1 baseball has many levels... if you are not getting any traction with D1 teams you are not D1 talent. Focus on were you can succeed, stop dreaming

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Well, I was quoting the press release. It's advertising by Boras. But, hey, read any PG article about travel teams -- the first thing they do is mention how many commits XYZ national travel team has. So when they talk about all the commits on the Canes (or pick the travel team), does that rub you the wrong way too? This tweet from PG must drive you crazy: https://twitter.com/PerfectGam.../1062880566549323777

This is high school baseball web -- posters being rubbed the wrong way because of a post highlighting a prominent high school tournament (last year Baseball America, PerfectGame, and others all wrote articles on the SoCal Boras tournament) rubs me the wrong way.

Nothing in the post or the Boras press release denigrates Texas high school baseball or Tennessee high school baseball or anyone at all. It's a free country -- you can be annoyed by a post celebrating a cool tournament. But I sure wouldn't be.

Last edited by 2019Dad

It’s cool to show righteous indignation when you feel like you are at the center of the universe, as many of the frequent posters on here seem to feel. 

What you are seeing at Boras, and was shown in the PG tweet in your example, 2019Dad, is just another flavor of the self licking ice cream cone that travel baseball, and this website, have become. What is pretty interesting are the replies below that PG tweet, most of them are pretty hostile toward PG. Ranking players and advertising how many commits a program has, or how many play in an event, serves one purpose - to feed the bottom line. That is why they do it. That is why national programs have 5-6-7 teams at all age levels, because parents buy into it. That is why people want to attend these events, because people buy into it.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 620E3CE5-10FE-43B9-A907-CD8537C4CF2A
  • 0D17DCCA-0DC1-42A1-82FA-01C22089B809
billsfanla posted:

Is Boras saying the team with the most commits is the best team? I am guessing teams in the City of LA’s West Valley league only have 1,maybe 2 commits. Does that mean they are not among the “best” teams. Would like to see what Birmingham would do in that tournament if ever given the chance.

Yeah, that’s kind of what he’s saying. And my guess is they win 1 game, maybe 2.

Last edited by 2022OFDad

Nothing wrong with a tournament with great teams, it just seems that it overemphasizes the number of commits. Interesting that the Tweet referenced above included some negative comments. Including: “Great organization, but please stop charging families so much to play it’s not fair that kids with extraordinary talent don’t get a chance to play in the great tournaments ...”

As you say it’s a free country, and organizations can extract as much as they can from parents who can afford to pay, but for those who can’t afford $799 for a weekend showcase, “elite” travel team, private coaches, travel, high tech bats, private school, recruiting videos, holding kids back for baseball, etc, etc, maybe some folks are being rubbed the wrong way.

Maybe a HS Baseball Web should be more about high school baseball, and less about how to get your 10th grader a D1 verbal commitment.

As for the Boras Family Foundation, there is not much info available online.  The Boras Classic does not charge the invited teams to play. According to Nonprofitfacts.com, the Foundation took in around $300,000 in 2013, and spent 62% on administrative and operating expenses. It appears the remainder went towards “youth development programs.”

2022OFDad posted:

It’s cool to show righteous indignation when you feel like you are at the center of the universe, as many of the frequent posters on here seem to feel. 

What you are seeing at Boras, and was shown in the PG tweet in your example, 2019Dad, is just another flavor of the self licking ice cream cone that travel baseball, and this website, have become. What is pretty interesting are the replies below that PG tweet, most of them are pretty hostile toward PG. Ranking players and advertising how many commits a program has, or how many play in an event, serves one purpose - to feed the bottom line. That is why they do it. That is why national programs have 5-6-7 teams at all age levels, because parents buy into it. That is why people want to attend these events, because people buy into it.

Boras is a pompous ass.  He is much more a self-promotor than he is good for baseball.  The way that he advertises his events serves to remind everyone of that.  Comments above about feeding the bottom line are spot on. Here is why it rubs me the wrong way - I don't support the monetization of a boy's dream and I don't like to see an uneducated public buy in and feed it.  It has nothing to do with Texas, California or Tennessee.  I also don't like it when rich private high schools recruit the best players, give them scholarships, and then brag about how many D1 commits they have.  That rubs me the wrong way too.  But that's just me...  As it has been stated many times on this board, being a D1 commit doesn't insure success at the D1 level.  D1 programs are over-recruiting at an alarming rate - bringing in close to 20 kids per year in each recruiting class to assemble a 35 man roster. Do the math - that makes for a lot of attrition. 

bacdorslider posted:

Sounds like a great tourney... however I have grown to learn being a D1 commit is not that difficult of a thing to do

above is the quote - if becoming a D1 commit is not that difficult - what does that say about the remaining players on both these teams and all the others who don't get an offer? I know many kids who have busted their asses, been successful on the field and off and never got a D1 sniff. They are playing everywhere from the top D2 (national championship) to top D3 (WS teams) to a couple D3 HA's and then just some random schools. It marginalizes them as players and the games they play. It is arrogant and just fundamentally wrong.

It is difficult.

I will also tell you that of the D1 guys I know many are high quality individuals but there is a disproportional % of prima donnas in that group because they haven't been humbled, actually think they are that damn good or are just to dumb to figure it out.

I don't care about Boras or any of the other stuff.

on the Boras topic,

It is good for his brand, he is running a business. He is looking for a small select group of players. This event gives him an opportunity to meet, greet, have his name associated in a "big event" etc. It is marketing nothing else.

Agents / Attorneys - they are interchangeable to the respective business models of baseball and normal business world. Everyone hates them but everyone needs them.

2022OFDad posted:

Well, it sure doesn't revolve around negative people like you, Diego.

old_school posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Sounds like a great tourney... however I have grown to learn being a D1 commit is not that difficult of a thing to do

above is the quote - if becoming a D1 commit is not that difficult - what does that say about the remaining players on both these teams and all the others who don't get an offer? I know many kids who have busted their asses, been successful on the field and off and never got a D1 sniff. They are playing everywhere from the top D2 (national championship) to top D3 (WS teams) to a couple D3 HA's and then just some random schools. It marginalizes them as players and the games they play. It is arrogant and just fundamentally wrong.

It is difficult.

I will also tell you that of the D1 guys I know many are high quality individuals but there is a disproportional % of prima donnas in that group because they haven't been humbled, actually think they are that damn good or are just to dumb to figure it out.

I don't care about Boras or any of the other stuff.

" I know many kids who have busted their asses, been successful on the field and off and never got a D1 sniff.  "

The stark reality is every year kids bust their asses .....  and if they didn't get a D1 sniff then they were basically not good enough to play at that level. being selected to play D1 ball at any level is nice, no doubt about it... but just because you bust your ass does not entitle you to anything nor make you better than a more talented player that did not bust his ass.  talent always wins out ....

I should have said committing to a D1 school is not hard , if you have the goods.... I get that kids want that exp.  but wanting it, and working for it is just not enough.  And the posts I read on here encouraging players that we have never seen play , to attend this or that showcase , play on this of that travel team is not good advice when the the goal should be education at any level.  I just wish folks would get off the D1 thing.  

2019Dad posted:

Well, I was quoting the press release. It's advertising by Boras. But, hey, read any PG article about travel teams -- the first thing they do is mention how many commits XYZ national travel team has. So when they talk about all the commits on the Canes (or pick the travel team), does that rub you the wrong way too? This tweet from PG must drive you crazy: https://twitter.com/PerfectGam.../1062880566549323777

This is high school baseball web -- posters being rubbed the wrong way because of a post highlighting a prominent high school tournament (last year Baseball America, PerfectGame, and others all wrote articles on the SoCal Boras tournament) rubs me the wrong way.

Nothing in the post or the Boras press release denigrates Texas high school baseball or Tennessee high school baseball or anyone at all. It's a free country -- you can be annoyed by a post celebrating a cool tournament. But I sure wouldn't be.

with all respect due, my son played for the Canes National and Team Elite and played in the Area Code games and was a 1st team All -American and was flown all over the country and was ranked top 50 and all that....  it means nothing... nadda... you guys have a lot to learn... Boras this , Borras that.... he stuck his name on it...  

The problem that many ( not all)  of the new parents seem to not get is you are being played by the industry .... and your son might suffer for it...

Maybe things have changed, and NorCal is not SoCal, but the years we were at the NorCal events -- they were not PG tournaments, or travel tournaments, they were HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL GAMES  against good area teams that happened to be sprinkled with some premier players, though the majority of the players would be done with baseball after HS, and the majority that would go on to play in college would be at the JC level. It's not national  travel ball teams.  It's HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL.  So for these guys, most of whom had never boarded a plane to play a baseball game, having their teams chosen to play in the event, getting some swag and free lunch  and playing with some scouts and radar guns in the stands was a great experience.  BTW in 3 years of attending the NorCal event I never once saw Scott Boras, but I did see and talk to his brother every year, and he seemed like a very nice guy.

Last edited by JCG
adbono posted:

BACDOORSLIDER wrote, "The problem that many (not all) of the new parents seem to not get is you are being played by the industry.....and your son might suffer for it..."

This is absolutely the point and 100% correct.

There's a prescription being written multiple times every day.... (this is all in good fun by the way)

============================
Patient Name: Next Bryce Harper
Address: 1 Never Never Land

Rx:    Top travel team (18mosU)
         Hitting guru lessons
         Pitching guru lessons
         Strength guru program
        $400 bat
        $300 glove
        Other accessories as needed
          - Evo shield everything
          - Eye black
          - $50 batting gloves
          - Lizard Skins
          - Mike Trout cleats
          - Oakley sunglasses
          - Magnetic necklace

Refill: Each paycheck
Date: Somewhere around 7 years old
Sign: Former-MiLB-now-owns-local-sports-training-facility M.D.
============================

bacdorslider wrote:

with all respect due, my son played for the Canes National and Team Elite and played in the Area Code games and was a 1st team All -American and was flown all over the country and was ranked top 50 and all that....  it means nothing... nadda... you guys have a lot to learn... Boras this , Borras that.... he stuck his name on it...  

The problem that many ( not all)  of the new parents seem to not get is you are being played by the industry .... and your son might suffer for it...

Yes & Amen!

Absolutely the truth! 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.