Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I found many plans and some videos when searching Google for "building a wooden pitchers mound".  My only question is:  does the astroturf get slippery when it's wet?  I am wondering if using a deck stain and adding course sand would work better.
Originally Posted by LMDJR:
Does anyone have any instructions for building a wooden pitching mound. You know, like the kind they use in indoor facilities. I need something that is semi-portable.
Thanks!

It's been years ago when I did but I went online and it seems it was a DIY website that I found exactly what I needed but, I built one with my best friend. His son was a Pitcher so we actually built 2 of them.

We used pressured treated lumber just so that it would last longer even though it was heavier to move around. We did put handles on the front and back to make it easier to pick up. Im not a carpenter but, if you're going to be using pressure treated lumber because you leave it outside and need to move it around a good bit then Id recommend finding a way to put some wheels on it as suggested. That booger is heavy. Now if you plan on using it inside and leaving it inside then regular lumber will be fine and it wont be that heavy.

I used 2"x 10" since a regulation mound is 10" high. I think we had about a 18" or so flat surface on top and then simply went from the front of the landing down to about a 4" high on the front of the mound so that a standard 2x4 was used across the front. Then used some plywood for the surface so the indoor/outdoor carpet could be attached. I think we stapled ours down. We bough a rubber that had 2 pegs and simply drilled 2 holes on the flat surface so it could slide in and out. Very easy to make one of these.

Originally Posted by 08Dad:
You might want to put a handle or a cut out for a hand grip on the front so that it is easy to pick up.

I'd also consider tweaking the plans on the DIY site to make it a little longer - the six foot slope could be a little short for a taller pitcher.

I didn't look at the plans but a six foot slope is what is called for in the rules (and yes I know many HS and even college mounds don't comply exactly)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.