Skip to main content

Son and I went to watch a competitive D1's fall practice and scrimmage games. A few things surprised me.

First, at the practice, the head coach was very active and yelling out instructions/comments after almost every play. The instructions he gave, though, sounds very basic, such as "tag up on a fly ball", "dive back to base if the pitcher turns towards you", etc. Is that normal? Son was not surprised. He said "baseball has only so many rules, you can't expect college coach to teach something different from HS coach." He said those are exactly the things his HS coach yells in practice.

Second, during practice and scrimmage, I saw a lot of defensive errors. Ex: one time, right field caught fly ball, runner on second ran toward 3rd, RF threw ball to 3rd, but the SS "intercepted" the ball and runner safe on 3rd; Another time, bases loaded, batter hit a grounder right towards 1B, should be an easy double play, but 1B knocked the ball towards fence with his glove, 2 runs came home and batter safe; etc. I know fall ball contains "tryout", but this is a power D1 and all the recruited players are supposed to be highly ranked.

Third, the pitching velo was mid-high 80s. I have pocket radar, and I didn't see 90+. And ironically, the big guy pitching high 80s got hit pretty consistently (he's the guy with base loaded and 1st base error and ended up with 6 runs in an inning); a smaller guy, a crafty lefty, throws low-mid 80s but with a lot of curve and sliders, and got a lot of Ks.

Anyway, just my two days of observation. Need experienced parents to give perspective.

(Next stop for us is to watch a competitive D3 fall practice and game and compare.)

Bogeyorpar posted:

Son and I went to watch a competitive D1's fall practice and scrimmage games. A few things surprised me.

First, at the practice, the head coach was very active and yelling out instructions/comments after almost every play. The instructions he gave, though, sounds very basic, such as "tag up on a fly ball", "dive back to base if the pitcher turns towards you", etc. Is that normal? Son was not surprised. He said "baseball has only so many rules, you can't expect college coach to teach something different from HS coach." He said those are exactly the things his HS coach yells in practice.

Second, during practice and scrimmage, I saw a lot of defensive errors. Ex: one time, right field caught fly ball, runner on second ran toward 3rd, RF threw ball to 3rd, but the SS "intercepted" the ball and runner safe on 3rd; Another time, bases loaded, batter hit a grounder right towards 1B, should be an easy double play, but 1B knocked the ball towards fence with his glove, 2 runs came home and batter safe; etc. I know fall ball contains "tryout", but this is a power D1 and all the recruited players are supposed to be highly ranked.

Third, the pitching velo was mid-high 80s. I have pocket radar, and I didn't see 90+. And ironically, the big guy pitching high 80s got hit pretty consistently (he's the guy with base loaded and 1st base error and ended up with 6 runs in an inning); a smaller guy, a crafty lefty, throws low-mid 80s but with a lot of curve and sliders, and got a lot of Ks.

Anyway, just my two days of observation. Need experienced parents to give perspective.

(Next stop for us is to watch a competitive D3 fall practice and game and compare.)

Well, I worked both competitive D1 and D3 games and scrimmages during the fall...here's what I can tell you.

1. For the "basic" things you were hearing in the D1 practice...without knowing who was on the field, class-wise, I'd be wagering that they are emphasizing fundamentals. Getting back to basics when you're incorporating new players into an existing system is the simplest way to get them on the same page.

2. As for the errors, they happen. Dunno if it was incoming freshmen having nerves, dunno if it was a fluke, but I think your sample size may be off, as well--it may have just been a bad game. My last major D1 scrimmage, the catcher mishandled three beautiful 2-strike fastballs that I would have rung up. That's three opportunities he gave the offense by himself (and he was not a freshman.)

3. I think you also learned that velocity isn't everything. 

4. The later you go see D3 baseball in the fall, the closer to what you'll see in the spring. If you can keep your ear to the ground and find out when a program is making its roster decisions, you'll want to go after that (to compare apples to apples.) I worked a traditional powerhouse D3 intrasquad DH in early October. They had four entirely separate, full teams. That should tell you how many were getting the bad news the next day...and many really were over their heads.

I echo some of Matt's points.

Some other observations...

-When coaching the larger fall group, most often, you have to coach to the lowest common denominator.

-When coaching the larger fall group, activities tend to be more basic and generic.

-There are plenty of talented players who have surprisingly little knowledge of the fundamentals coming into college.

-Once you get to the level of good HS, most of the same fundamentals apply going forward.  

-Sometimes, many aspects of college coaching falls short of expectations with incoming players and parents (although far less likely with a strong D1).  I've heard feedback from several players that their HS coaches were better than their college coaches at some aspects of teaching the game and situational baseball (granted, often subjective). 

Thanks for all the condolences and good wishes.  Big hole in our lives obviously.  Still a little painful to revisit this site right now.  The kid became super  focused on baseball starting about age of 11,  From then until this fall, he was never away from either the field or the gym or the cages for  more than a month or at most two.  Saw a lot of California and some of the country  together because of baseball.  

But the good thing is that he  himself seems at peace with his decision to hang 'em up after all that personal investment.   

Caught up with him a little about various college teammates.  From what he tells me,  almost the entire returning sophomore class was cut within the first two  weeks of Fall Ball.   Most of them either played JV or sat on the Varsity last year.   Apparently they lost out not to incoming Frosh so much  (who will mostly be placed on JV except for the super studs)  but to a big class of incoming and apparently quite talented transfers.  "Returning sophomores were the first to go,"  he said.

Quite a way to run a D3 program.  It really operates much more like a modified D2 program, it seems to me, than your typical D3.    (the modified is that they do bring in more Frosh than many D2's -- at least those here in California -- do,  but what they do with them is take an extended hard look at them, promote a few the following year, and discard the rest.)

Makes for a lot of unhappy campers, it seems.   But I guess that's no skin off the coach's back.  After all, every single year, he is able to reload and field a highly competitive team with a strong chance to win the conference championship and advance to the regionals.

I also suspect that the kid might still be playing had he  gone to a different sort of D3 with a different sort of environment.  But you never know.   Maybe the grass is always greener.  

Anyway,   between the kid's hanging 'em up and the Tribe's defeat......

Last edited by SluggerDad

Sluggerdad,

Sorry, the word condolence conjures  death in my mind, this is not death.

Hanging up the cleats is your sons decision and you should celebrate his willing to move forward, not stay in the game because he thought that is something he thought he should do to make others happy. Don't give excuses about being at the wrong place, because if your son really wanted to stay in the game, he would have.

Truth is, this baseball thing is a lot of work and not always fun, in fact, it can make some players down right miserable and when that happens it's time to move on.

Imagine your player having to give up a game he loves because he is hurt, now that stinks, trust me, but I have as others have not once come here to look for anyone's condolences.  Hanging up the cleats is part of the process.

I am writing this because it's very apparent sometimes that this becomes more about mom and dad's, as you say a hole in your lives, when it's not about mom and dad. Go out and start doing things you and mom have been putting off, enjoy your life, move on, it's all good and you will survive!

TPM

Last edited by TPM

One door closes another opens. My wife and I will be married 35 years on Monday. We just got back from our first real vacation with just us. Before we had kids we were too broke. After we had kids it's was all about taking them places. We went to Vegas, Grand Canyon and Sedona. It was awesome. Already planning the next trip. Life is all about change. Embrace it and live it to its fullest. It's a new beginning and it will be just fine!

SD - sounds like you raised a strong son with a great head on his shoulders. Great job on the parents' prime directive! I know it'll be a hard day when my son is done with his bb career, so my heart goes out to you!

Backstopdad - congrats to your son! It's quite an accomplishment, and I hope he gets his wish to travel!

My son made his team, too, and his dad & I are thrilled for him. He's at a D3 with a team that's struggled a bit with pitching over the past couple of years, and he was able to walk on as PO. We live on the opposite coast from the school, and he didn't get recruited, so went after academics first. The roster is 27 kids, and the coach did cut a few returning players, along with all but 2 walk-ons. I'll be interested to see what happens this spring!

Happy to talk more about the D3 journey; if anyone is interested, please PM me. 

We just got results from an MRI on Tuesday and son will be having labrum surgery on the 23rd. He has battled bicep tendonitis since his junior year in high school with it coming and going. He has rehabbed after each occurrance, including this past summer as he was shut down last spring in his freshman year for 8 weeks. The bicep problems have lead to a slap tear extending from the 12 o'clock position to 7 o'clock. Its ironic that he had no lack of strength during the exam let alone have the pain reoccur. The only time it hurts is throwing off the mound. He will redshirt this coming season. We pray for successful surgery and rehab. God has control and will guide him on his path.

Fall Ball is now over. Son is 54 weeks post TJ surgery.  He and his college trainer were very careful and mapped out his Fall. Only threw 10 innings in 6 games.  8 K's, 7 Hits and 1 BB. Hit a few MPH under his previous max MPH but not unexpected. Said he intentionally did not "air it out" since Spring is only 2-3 months away. Said he has high curve ball spin and change and FB are moving. 

Except for severe nose bleeds and bout with pneumonia the last 3 weeks, he has been healthy. No elbow pain, etc. 

Thanks for all the concerns. We feel blessed that he is healthy and continuing to gain strength. 

RedFishFool posted:

Fall Ball is now over. Son is 54 weeks post TJ surgery.  He and his college trainer were very careful and mapped out his Fall. Only threw 10 innings in 6 games.  8 K's, 7 Hits and 1 BB. Hit a few MPH under his previous max MPH but not unexpected. Said he intentionally did not "air it out" since Spring is only 2-3 months away. Said he has high curve ball spin and change and FB are moving. 

Except for severe nose bleeds and bout with pneumonia the last 3 weeks, he has been healthy. No elbow pain, etc. 

Thanks for all the concerns. We feel blessed that he is healthy and continuing to gain strength. 

Well, I was about to throw down a big ol' "like"... until you shifted gears into the severe nose bleeds and pneumonia... so...          ???

Can't believe son's first semester is almost over. Will be season before we know it. 

He had his fall exit meeting today. HC did most of the talking he said. Really happy with how he did this fall. Love his baseball IQ and way he is a teammate. Will get some early opportunities out of pen and from there it will be how he does. 

Team should be strong again this spring so should be exciting times for first timers. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.